Author Topic: Unemployed Rawkites  (Read 256273 times)

Offline Cusamano

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Natural Police
Re: Unemployed Rawkites
« Reply #2920 on: February 10, 2015, 01:31:10 pm »
Mainly Customer Service, Finance, Accounts Assistant.

But I've applied for everything else aswell seeing I have had no replies.

Have you got any experience is any of these fields??
Wake up, will ya pal? If you're not inside, you're outside, OK? And I'm not talking a $400,000 a year working Wall Street stiff flying first class and being comfortable, I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars buddy. A player. - Gordon Gekko

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2921 on: February 10, 2015, 02:48:57 pm »
Have you got any experience is any of these fields??

Yes about eight years worth in total!

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #2922 on: February 10, 2015, 02:50:09 pm »
Applied for loads of jobs for about 4 months straight and heard absolutely nothing back from anyone.
Give your CV a rejig, and be patient, I was like that, heard fuck all from September-January and then got 2 interviews and 2 job offers in a day.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2923 on: February 10, 2015, 04:24:33 pm »
Give your CV a rejig, and be patient, I was like that, heard fuck all from September-January and then got 2 interviews and 2 job offers in a day.

Do you recommend writing the CV in third person or first person? Such as when I have put down my responsibilities for my previous employers I've put 'complete numerous jobs' or would 'completed' be more applicable?

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #2924 on: February 10, 2015, 04:40:28 pm »
Do you recommend writing the CV in third person or first person? Such as when I have put down my responsibilities for my previous employers I've put 'complete numerous jobs' or would 'completed' be more applicable?

So long as you're consistent, it probably doesn't matter a great deal.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Online AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2925 on: February 15, 2015, 10:02:38 pm »
Has anyone on here ever gone from a permanent position into a temporary position?

Offline trenchtownrasta

• fairy anne
  • Kopite
  • you may say I'm a dreamer,but I'm not the only one
« Reply #2926 on: February 16, 2015, 02:57:23 am »
I left my job in London just after Xmas and had a few interviews with a companies in NI over the last few weeks, in one of those I really thought I'd messed up the interview because they pulled out a sheet of about twenty questions and started grilling me, in my profession this not generally the way things are done usually it's a chat and a brief overview of your experience.
They asked me quite a few questions about a contract I know quite well having written a dissertation about it and using exclusively in my last job, but I really wasn't expecting them to grill me on it and was quite frustrated with the answers I gave because I knew there were holes in them.
I had 6 interviews and 3 offers and this was the company I was most impressed by, so knowing I could have done a better job in the interview haunted me a little bit, but thankfully they made me a cracking offer and I'm due to start next week. It's good to see that the economy over here is picking up a bit, here's to another boom.
'Say what you like about deaf people'.

Offline mkferdy

• "Zlat's all, folks!" (yes, that's MY joke!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2927 on: February 16, 2015, 09:21:13 am »
I left my job in London just after Xmas and had a few interviews with a companies in NI over the last few weeks, in one of those I really thought I'd messed up the interview because they pulled out a sheet of about twenty questions and started grilling me, in my profession this not generally the way things are done usually it's a chat and a brief overview of your experience.
They asked me quite a few questions about a contract I know quite well having written a dissertation about it and using exclusively in my last job, but I really wasn't expecting them to grill me on it and was quite frustrated with the answers I gave because I knew there were holes in them.
I had 6 interviews and 3 offers and this was the company I was most impressed by, so knowing I could have done a better job in the interview haunted me a little bit, but thankfully they made me a cracking offer and I'm due to start next week. It's good to see that the economy over here is picking up a bit, here's to another boom.

Congrats and best of luck in your new role

Offline trenchtownrasta

• fairy anne
  • Kopite
  • you may say I'm a dreamer,but I'm not the only one
« Reply #2928 on: February 17, 2015, 12:21:33 am »
Cheers and best of luck to you.
'Say what you like about deaf people'.

Offline Azi

• eckerslike
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2929 on: February 18, 2015, 11:47:21 am »
See if a job is advertised as a  "(8 - 12 month fixed term contract) " does that mean the job will no longer exist after 12 months or is it more if a your employed on a 12 month contract rolling contract similar to teachers

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2930 on: February 18, 2015, 12:04:05 pm »
See if a job is advertised as a  "(8 - 12 month fixed term contract) " does that mean the job will no longer exist after 12 months or is it more if a your employed on a 12 month contract rolling contract similar to teachers

Depends. Sometimes it can be that someone is taking a year off (maternity leave or similar) and will be coming back. Or it could be project based and so limited by that. In many situations though, it's a chance to make yourself indispensable so they'll find a permanent position for you at the end.
12 months is more long term assurance than most people have in their jobs now anyway.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Azi

• eckerslike
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2931 on: February 18, 2015, 12:12:58 pm »
Depends. Sometimes it can be that someone is taking a year off (maternity leave or similar) and will be coming back. Or it could be project based and so limited by that. In many situations though, it's a chance to make yourself indispensable so they'll find a permanent position for you at the end.
12 months is more long term assurance than most people have in their jobs now anyway.

True, but i dont really fancy leaving my current job for another job which for all i know might only be for 12 months

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2932 on: February 18, 2015, 12:24:32 pm »
True, but i dont really fancy leaving my current job for another job which for all i know might only be for 12 months

You could ask at interview. It's good to have a real question when they say "is there anything you want to ask us" in any case.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline dioufythebrave

• but Dim.
  • Kopite
« Reply #2933 on: February 18, 2015, 06:33:39 pm »
Has anyone on here ever gone from a permanent position into a temporary position?

Yes i have, but only because i moved country, out of work since november now, havn't regretted leaving my old job at all but it is getting frustrating at this stage
if you wanna be the best you gotta beat the best

I'll make two predictions of this...Carroll won't score 3 PL goals total for the rest of the year and we won't score 5 against any team all year.  We might still get CL football without either happening.

Offline viteslesrouges

• Legacy Fan
  • Games : 535. Won : 308. Drawn : 131. Lost : 96
« Reply #2934 on: February 19, 2015, 07:50:13 am »

Sad but very true.

I've been invited for a 3rd and final stage interview and not sure whether the move is the right one, probably going to give it a swerve as the company have missed various promised deadlines through the process which doesn't exactly bode well for the future.

You made me forget myself, I thought I was someone else, someone good.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #2935 on: February 20, 2015, 11:17:46 am »
Got a 2nd round interview for a huge role today. It's a shootout between me and another candidate

;D

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #2936 on: February 20, 2015, 07:48:31 pm »
I had a 2nd round today too. Had to give a presentation that went well and seemed to do alright.

Hope it's not the same job :D

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #2937 on: February 21, 2015, 01:04:23 am »
Got a 2nd round interview for a huge role today. It's a shootout between me and another candidate

;D

I had a 2nd round today too. Had to give a presentation that went well and seemed to do alright.

Hope it's not the same job :D
There's only one way to find out....... FIGHT!

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #2938 on: February 21, 2015, 01:05:49 am »
There's only one way to find out....... FIGHT!

;D

Offline gwalk

• Legacy Fan
  • ní fheicfidh tú ag siúl ina n-aonar
« Reply #2939 on: February 21, 2015, 03:48:35 am »
for anyone based in Ireland (mainly Dublin), apologies if irrelevant/wrong thread

Dublin Airport are hiring Firefighters

https://jobs-daa.icims.com/jobs/1037/airport-fire-fighters/job

We are currently seeking to set up a panel of suitable candidates to fill vacancies current and future within the Airport Fire Service at Dublin Airport. The successful candidates will report to the Chief Airport Fire Officer, and the Duty Airport Fire Officer on a 24/7 shift basis. Click below to get some further insight into these roles.

http://youtu.be/hT9Pj5ekBtg

Selection process will involve the following stages
Initial screening through online aptitude assessments
First stage interview with shortlisted candidates
Physical assessments a) ladder climb b) casualty evacuation c) ladder lift d) enclosed spaces e) equipment assembly and f) equipment carry
Second stage interview
Pre-employment medical, reference check and security clearance
Please apply by Friday 6th March by clicking on the "apply for this job" button below. Note you will firstly need to create a short online profile by clicking "create with on-line form". You must upload a full CV to be considered for these roles.
Please ensure you fully read the selection criteria set out below before making your application.

Only external applicants should apply through this site.

Qualifications:

Over 18 years of age with no restrictions to work in Ireland on a full-time basis
Pass leaving certificate or equivalent
Full clean class B driving license, class C desirable
Excellent eyesight, physical fitness and good general state of health
Comfortable working at heights and within confined spaces
Calm and balanced temperament with the ability to respond effectively under pressure
Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
Team player with the ability to work in a structured environment
Experience in Civil Defence or Auxiliary Fire Service is desirable

Responsibilities:
Responding to aviation related emergencies
Compliance with IAA and EASA monitoring and auditing standards
Conducting airfield inspections and bird patrols
Operating the airport ambulance service
Conducting friction monitoring and testing
Responding to road traffic collisions as required
Responding to ATC requests
Maintaining standards of personal fitness and competency in role
Fire-fighting using full range of appropriate equipment
Administering first aid & assisting in the evacuation of people in life-threatening situations
Protecting property endangered by fires
Protecting the environment (as necessary) in an emergency situation
Participating in training drills for fire control and rescue work
Testing and maintaining fire service vehicles, and associated equipment
Conducting fire safety inspections and inspecting  fire safety systems
Observing aircraft movements on the manoeuvring area

Offline Azi

• eckerslike
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2940 on: February 24, 2015, 08:42:47 pm »
is their any websites out their which folk recommend in creating CVs?  I've got one but its from when i was a graduate been in my current job nearly three years now and i'm not sure what i take out/leave in. i have one job title but that doesn't cover the extra stuff i do.  i've found websites which charge £50 are they any good?

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #2941 on: March 6, 2015, 02:33:43 pm »
Got my first day on Monday.

I have been asked to wear "Dark Trousers". Would a dark grey be acceptable?
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline AB LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2942 on: March 7, 2015, 03:58:02 pm »

don't see why they wouldn't be

Offline Johnny Foreigner

• King of the Trabbies. Major Mod Thruster.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2943 on: March 9, 2015, 09:53:41 am »

Probably too late, but maybe a shirt as well ?
It’s not even about individuality, it’s about the team. Our game was based on his controlling of the tempo. Squeeze the life out of the opposition and then strike. That is our game. Like a pack of pythons.

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2944 on: March 15, 2015, 07:59:42 pm »
Anybody here work in an Investment Bank? Never thought I'd particularly enjoy it, and I have always been fairly anti-capitalism, but it's all 'clicked' and I quite enjoy working within Capital Markets/derivatives projects. Tricky thing is, is I have a legal training contract starting next year which I'm questioning whether I really 'want' it. It's at a US Law firm who unfortunately don't practice a whole heap of banking/finance work, although I will get a seat in it. I would take a little drop in salary, but hardly anything to complain about.

I've been applying for consultancy/BA type opportunities in IB although not getting anywhere yet (my current role is good and I have gained knowledge from it, but I absolutely hate the politics).

I guess I should just be grateful I have a job, but I think I'm a bit obsessed by wanting a successful career. Probably the one thing I've always wanted, although I've never fully known what career that should be.

If anyone is a recruiter for the City, or knows anyone decent, feel free to drop me a shout too.

I know this is probably the worst place to put this. I've yet to experience unemployment for longer than a couple months, thankfully.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 08:02:36 pm by RainbowFlick »
YNWA.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2945 on: March 18, 2015, 03:52:14 pm »
Just seen this in the latest Independents card email and thought it might be useful to someone! http://independent-liverpool.co.uk/news/jobs/

Offline Narwin Dunez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2946 on: March 19, 2015, 12:55:57 pm »
Anybody here work in an Investment Bank? Never thought I'd particularly enjoy it, and I have always been fairly anti-capitalism, but it's all 'clicked' and I quite enjoy working within Capital Markets/derivatives projects. Tricky thing is, is I have a legal training contract starting next year which I'm questioning whether I really 'want' it. It's at a US Law firm who unfortunately don't practice a whole heap of banking/finance work, although I will get a seat in it. I would take a little drop in salary, but hardly anything to complain about.

I've been applying for consultancy/BA type opportunities in IB although not getting anywhere yet (my current role is good and I have gained knowledge from it, but I absolutely hate the politics).

I guess I should just be grateful I have a job, but I think I'm a bit obsessed by wanting a successful career. Probably the one thing I've always wanted, although I've never fully known what career that should be.

If anyone is a recruiter for the City, or knows anyone decent, feel free to drop me a shout too.

I know this is probably the worst place to put this. I've yet to experience unemployment for longer than a couple months, thankfully.

I'll take that TC off your hands if you want mate? ;D

Offline aggerdid

• Reads the subtitles on "Queer as Folk" from right to left
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2947 on: March 24, 2015, 11:11:44 am »
The amount of agencies that invite you in "for a chat" and sweet fuck all comes of them is a joke. They just want you as a statistic to say they have X amount of people on their books
We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey - Kenji Miyazawa

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2948 on: March 24, 2015, 11:20:29 am »
The amount of agencies that invite you in "for a chat" and sweet fuck all comes of them is a joke. They just want you as a statistic to say they have X amount of people on their books
I was out of work for three years.  Registered with an agency near the end..... and they contacted me with my first offer, 18 months after starting work, and a full two years after I registered with them.

Useless f*cks.

Offline mkferdy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2949 on: March 25, 2015, 09:13:41 am »
Never get the need for an agency to meet with a candidate face to face unless they had a specific opportunity in mind that's relevant. High street recruiters do it because they are targeted on how many face to face meetings they have with candidates so it could well be a case of them looking to hit their kpi's. 

Offline AB LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2950 on: March 25, 2015, 10:25:21 am »
Agencies are pretty useless unless you're a candidate with years of experience, then they'll look at you as a prospect. Went to see an agency 3 months ago to register. They only just contacted me yesterday about a job.

Also had an experience with another agency who got me an interview for a job and rang me so many times asking if I wanted to be put forward for several other positions. I didn't get the job I got the interview for and they stopped contacting me completely.

Offline mkferdy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2951 on: March 25, 2015, 10:40:41 am »
Most agencies are client led. They focus on attaining jobs from their clients looking to fill the role on a commission only basis. Due to the nature of the role and the amount of targets that are set on the recruiter unfortunately candidates are only ever contacted if they have a role that fits.

With a commercial recruiter it would be rare that they would actively look to promote you on their behalf as they have a large candidate base to work from. If your background is senior or niche then a specialist agency within your sector would be a better fit as they would actively work with you rather than just contact you if you come up on a search on their database.

Offline KiNki

• Smicer devotee supreme, Sammy Lee impersonator extraordinaire.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
    • http://hfdinfo.com/digital
« Reply #2952 on: March 26, 2015, 07:55:07 pm »
why o why do employers want oh so many forms of i.d off people.  A passport should be enough considering all the shit you have to go through to get one but no, its not enough so with your passport, please bring a driving licence or bring birth certs, not copies but originals, utility bills, bank statements, something with your national insurance number, your gcse certificates, a stand of hair, a swab of your mouth, finger print and retina eye scan.   All for a dime a dozen job where no qualifications are required.

Seriously, what fucknuggert out there would pretend to be someone else and take on their identity and work a shitty job and pay their national insurance contributions for another human being.   

Actually.....

People from Bulgaria, i have a job for you, apply within. 

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2953 on: March 30, 2015, 10:20:54 am »
I'll take that TC off your hands if you want mate? ;D

hahah, a bit ungrateful of me to even consider not bothering with it.
YNWA.

Offline Ben_

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2954 on: March 31, 2015, 12:00:05 pm »
A 24 hour challenge sounds intense, I imagine it's quite a good opportunity to showcase yourself in a way not limited to a standard interview structure though.

Good luck!

Can anyone recommend any methods of looking for jobs without going down the recruiter route?

Every experience I've had so far with a recruiter has been less than satisfying but they seem to have about 90% of all the jobs advertised on the job boards online so it's a vicious circle.

The match kicks off in 30 minutes ya silly twat

"This European Cup final is won, AC Milan 3, Liverpool 0."

"This scoreline is absolutely staggering, AC Milan 3, Liverpool 3!" - Five Live

Offline mkferdy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2955 on: March 31, 2015, 12:07:04 pm »
If anyone works in a niche sector I would look to approaching companies direct. Unless your background is IT Security or Electronic security where you should go through a very reputable independent recruiter  ;D

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2956 on: March 31, 2015, 12:59:24 pm »
All the best with the search folks, it's an empty thing to say, but it's a road we all walk alone on, unfortunately.

Offline mkferdy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2957 on: March 31, 2015, 01:16:23 pm »
Ok for the people out there actively looking who maybe come from a niche sector I feel sometimes its best to approach companies direct.

To do this what you need to think about is geographically how far are you prepared to travel to work. After you have given this some thought I would look to find companies within your radius that would be suitable.

Once you have drawn up a list of companies you need to think about how you are going to approach the companies. You could just email your CV to them all however there's a chance it will not reach the decision maker.

What I would do is find out who the person for each company is that would be best suited to contact. HR Director, Managing Director, Marketing Director, Sales Director etc depending on your experience and background.

There are different ways of finding out who the contacts are. Run a search on Linkedin for example, Look on their website, search on Google using "" so for example "Company A" "Managing Director" or if you get really stuck search for the company on http://companycheck.co.uk/ then under directors you will see the Directors.

Now you can also find their email addresses using similar tactics on google searching via their website domain and there name. For example "@company.co.uk" "joe blogs" this can come up with there email address too if not call the company and obtain their email address. You can be honest and say your looking for a role and wanted to email over some details with a CV. If you get stopped hear you could always call back later that day pretending to be a client and he asked you to email over the details but you took the email address down wrong ;)

So once you have a list of companies and contact details I would look to construct an initial email that you can send. Talk about your experience, the projects you have worked if your a graphic designer for example. If your in sales talk about your record of achieving targets, types of clients, margins etc depending on your background tailor it accordingly. With regards to marketing yourself no one can market you better than you can!

If your not on Linkedin sign up to it if it's relevant to your sector, use it as almost an online CV, connect with people you know and other people within your sector, run a search looking for similar people in your area, see who they are working for, join groups.

Post a blog/ Website with samples of your work / experience and link it back to your Linkedin/CV/Twitter.

It's a cliche but the more you network and put yourself out there the more you will find companies approaching you.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2958 on: March 31, 2015, 01:38:11 pm »
Sprouts mentioned a good thing a while back about applying for jobs at some point during the working day rather than over a weekend or an evening where they'll fall down the Inbox in amongst loads of other unread emails. Trouble is I can't log on to personal email at work and applying through the work email is probably a big no no. :D

Offline ...

• Better than "Wall's Viennetta". Fact.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2959 on: March 31, 2015, 02:34:34 pm »
Agreed to do a 4 week work-exp thing at the jobcentre here - don't want to do it but it gets me out of my comfort zone and off my arse!