Author Topic: John Barnes  (Read 173027 times)

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
Re: John Barnes
« Reply #240 on: September 19, 2010, 08:32:08 am »
am I the only one who thought Mark Walters was better?
This.  ;)
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #241 on: September 19, 2010, 08:39:25 am »
********* JOHN BARNES VIDEO NOW POSTED  *********

I've now posted a compilation video. It was cobbled together quickly but contains most of the items that people asked to see in the thread.
It's in the form Assists - Goals (+Headers) - Free Kicks.

The main problem was what to leave out. I could easily have made it four or five times longer but it will at least give an idea of how lucky we 'arl arses were..!!!

You can find it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmAo0uiarvA

Watching 15 seconds of that video makes me want to stick Glen Johnson on the right wing.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #242 on: September 19, 2010, 09:17:17 am »
:D

jb xxx

Offline G1 Jockey 4(betfair)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: September 19, 2010, 11:12:04 am »
fuck me watching that didnt realise how bad we were now

barnes and beardsley on a difefrent planet
Freedom of Speech unless you get shouted down and abused by the in-crowd.

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #244 on: September 19, 2010, 02:38:47 pm »
He was good but am I the only one who thought Mark Walters was better? I remember being in primary school at the time (till the rozzers rumbled me) and debating whether Walters was better than Maradonna. With his unreadable step-over and marvellous middle name, Mark Walters was always the thinking man's choice.

:lmao
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #245 on: September 8, 2012, 12:29:47 pm »
Just watched this video and felt the need to bump this thread. Kenny Dalglish was before my time but I've never seen anybody better in a Liverpool shirt than John Barnes.

Offline Istanbul, 2005

• Strong believer in UKIP's domestic and European policies.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mersey paradise
« Reply #246 on: September 8, 2012, 12:54:49 pm »
The best dribbler we've ever had, he had without doubt the best balance that Iīve seen in a red shirt, up there with Messi, Maradona, Pele in terms of balance, dribbling etc. But the most important thing...he was a team player, always did the hard work even if it wasnīt his strongest aspect of the game, and look how many goals he set up, a very unselfish player for being such a huge talent and dribbler. Maybe The best player in the world between 87-90...the best player in the best team in Europe during that time anyway.

Seems like a great guy of the pitch as well, humble and intelligent.

Dalglish, Gerrard and Barnes are three best players ever in a red shirt, Souness shortly after.
« Last Edit: September 8, 2012, 12:57:41 pm by Istanbul, 2005 »
At Half time AC thought they had us beat
The Blueshite were dancing in the North Wales Streets
But Stevie G played like a man posessed
And all they have now is their Bitterness!

How do you sleep at night Duckenfield?

Offline Fairytale of 2005

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: September 8, 2012, 01:02:11 pm »
The best English player I have ever seen. Pure genius at his best.

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #248 on: September 8, 2012, 01:44:59 pm »
fuck me watching that didnt realise how bad we were now

barnes and beardsley on a difefrent planet
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline tepy75

• Kopite
« Reply #249 on: September 8, 2012, 01:53:24 pm »
I wish he was 20 today.

Offline Matt8Pie

• Boris Johnson's speech writer. Seeks vindication for slating players, the very definition of "supporter". Still doesn't get it.
  • Legacy Fan
  • YANKS OUT
« Reply #250 on: September 8, 2012, 02:00:40 pm »
Oh his father was a soldier
http://www.twitter.com/matt8pie
Most people in this world are tits. The fact they have an allegiance with Liverpool Football Club doesn't change that.

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: September 8, 2012, 02:30:29 pm »
Beckham, with his crosses, used to do exactly what Barnes was doing 10 years earlier: drop the ball onto the edge of the 6-yard box.  Too far for the keeper to come but perfect for the likes of Aldridge (and Cole/Yorke) to attack.  Such an effectively simple tactic.
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #252 on: September 8, 2012, 02:43:31 pm »
My idol.

Offline gerry7

• Anny Roader
« Reply #253 on: September 8, 2012, 02:54:37 pm »
What a player. What a man. Even when he was past his best he became a great central midfielder. His passing stats at stage were incredible .
Loved him when I was younger. He is LFC to his core

Offline Cybertom

• Legacy Fan
  • Rodgers will lead us back to glory.
« Reply #254 on: September 8, 2012, 03:05:07 pm »
Highlights how much we really miss a Barnes/McManaman type player. Someone who comfortably beats his man but also has fantastic vision and awareness to play an key pass. Wonderful player was John Barnes, one of the best we've ever had and truly one of the best wingers Europe has ever produced.

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #255 on: September 8, 2012, 03:06:48 pm »
My idol as a lad. He had everything, he could cross better than Beckham, he had the physical power that you see from some of the African lads today, he could kill you with his dancing feet and if that failed he'd do you over five yards with his pace.
Head,score,dribble you name it John Barnes could do it.

People talk about Ronaldo being the modern winger and what have you but John Barnes was doing what he was doing (and more) back in 89. The guy outscored Rush FFS in one season (not mentioning the twenty odd assists he had on top of that).
If he wasn't so criminally misused to fit in the overrated show ponies England had at the time (cough Hoddle) he would be classed as a true great of football.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #256 on: September 8, 2012, 03:13:47 pm »
Imagine how good he would have been playing on today's pitches. Remarkable speed and control playing on cow paddocks.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Mercer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #257 on: September 8, 2012, 04:01:08 pm »
I still watch his goal against QPR on Youtube quite regularly. A mesmerizing dribble, with a beautiful side-foot finish.

World class for a few years. The best winger I have ever saw play.

Offline MaschHead

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: September 8, 2012, 04:15:10 pm »
Barnes and Beardsley were my first Liverpool idols when I was a kid.

Offline keyo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #259 on: September 8, 2012, 04:15:33 pm »
was 16, and got to go to some away games in 87-88 including arsenal first game of the season....was also able to go to nearly all home games for the first time and was spoilt.....man was a genius, a great player in a great team.......the "out" ball whenever we were in trouble or, more often than not, when we wanted to torture the opposition some more.....and beardley was out of this world that season after a slow start
Joey's ate the frogs legs, made the swiss roll, now he's munchin' gladbach!!

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #260 on: September 8, 2012, 04:22:32 pm »
Just watched this video and felt the need to bump this thread. Kenny Dalglish was before my time but I've never seen anybody better in a Liverpool shirt than John Barnes.

incredible...

we need a number 10 like that again...

Offline HermanToothrot

• Main Stander
« Reply #261 on: September 8, 2012, 04:58:39 pm »
Barnes was awesome. I remember a goal he scored against villa where he curled it into the far corner. I always tried to recreate that goal at school but always failed.

he could dribble. Use both feet. Worked hard for the team. Could shoot. Could head. Was humble. The complete player.

Offline teganyavo

• Anny Roader
« Reply #262 on: September 8, 2012, 05:55:32 pm »
I wish he was 20 today.

what, one 17 year old Jamaican-English left winger isn't good enough for you? :D

Offline Wazza dazza

• Boys Pen
« Reply #263 on: September 8, 2012, 06:10:25 pm »
John Barnes was a thousand times better than Mark Walters who was rubbish at Rangers and LFC . All Souness signings were bad....
I miss Barnstormer I was watching Argentina v England in 1886 World Cup on tv the other night and when he came on his dribbling skills nearly turned the game....
Beardsley and Barnes = legends

Offline redboxingyeti

• Main Stander
  • Jurgen Believer
« Reply #264 on: September 8, 2012, 07:28:52 pm »
I think that King Kenny deserves the accolade as LFC's greatest ever player...I would think at the end of his career Stevie G will get 2nd spot in most peoples eyes.
Digger in my opinion deserves the number 3 spot - I saw Kenny, Souness, Hansen et al live, but not even they could generate the excitement of a Barnesy flying down the wing, or delivering a killer ball - he was an awesome player and a true gent. Had to put up with so much shit from the bitters and the press who berated him for his England games.
The team with Barnes, Beardsley, Aldo, Houghton was truly special to watch and big John Barnes was the star - awesome player !

As a complete aside, this is my own all-time 11 based on those I've seen play :-

Clemence - E.Hughes, Hansen, Lawrenson, Neal - Barnes, Souness, Gerrard, R.Kennedy - Rush, Dalglish

Subs: Reina, Hyypia, P. Thompson, Nicol, Molby, Hamann, Beardsley, Fowler, Aldo 

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #265 on: September 8, 2012, 09:16:46 pm »
giving individual praise in collective sport is ridicilous imho..

we can be happy to make a list of 100 people and maybe we could make even a list with 200 players that shook the kop..

but my point is, every generation has a hero...a player who he or she followed and mostly young supporters canīt say Kenny is the best, just becouse he look good on youtube...for modern days, modern players are the best, for older generation, the legends now were still playing...

so placing someone on first, second and third spot is not accurate... i would maybe make a list of teams that were good, all 11 players who were best teams of their time.. or players best at their positions... becouse no great defender will ever have the chance to be named best, not scoring goals obviously... :) but everyone has his part in the LFC history...

Offline Mr Grieves

• at losing other mr, ending years of Broken Wings encores.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #266 on: September 8, 2012, 10:30:13 pm »
What's even more a sign of the times, imagine trying to buy a player of that quality now from a similar size club to Watford? Barnes was the finished article when we bought him, though I'm sure there was a slight delay in the transfer there was no auction between the so called top clubs in either england or Europe . absolute genius of a  player

I'd also say the iconic poster of him backheeling the bananas at the pit are up there with the Ali "no Vietnam cong called me nigger "  as a slap in the face of the racist arseholes that characterised footie in the uk at the time
Put the ball in the goddamn basket chief

Offline G1 Jockey 4(betfair)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #267 on: September 8, 2012, 10:33:04 pm »
was 16, and got to go to some away games in 87-88 including arsenal first game of the season....was also able to go to nearly all home games for the first time and was spoilt.....man was a genius, a great player in a great team.......the "out" ball whenever we were in trouble or, more often than not, when we wanted to torture the opposition some more.....and beardley was out of this world that season after a slow start

slow start!!
that mesmerising game away to coventry second game in???????
Freedom of Speech unless you get shouted down and abused by the in-crowd.

Offline SpartanTree. No deccies or lights.

• Legacy Fan
  • This is ANFIELD !!!
« Reply #268 on: September 8, 2012, 11:00:11 pm »
giving individual praise in collective sport is ridicilous imho..

we can be happy to make a list of 100 people and maybe we could make even a list with 200 players that shook the kop..

but my point is, every generation has a hero...a player who he or she followed and mostly young supporters canīt say Kenny is the best, just becouse he look good on youtube...for modern days, modern players are the best, for older generation, the legends now were still playing...

so placing someone on first, second and third spot is not accurate... i would maybe make a list of teams that were good, all 11 players who were best teams of their time.. or players best at their positions... becouse no great defender will ever have the chance to be named best, not scoring goals obviously... :) but everyone has his part in the LFC history...

Rubbish.

From time to time there are individuals who stand head & shoulders above everyone else.
Digger was one of those sportsmen.
He was more than just a great player though.  He was a gentleman both on and off the pitch - always conducted himself impeccably.

For me - his most iconic moment was when a banana was thrown at him during a derby game in '88.
Without breaking stride he backheeled it away and carried on with the game without another thought.
It wasn't the first or last time he was subjected to racism but as always he dealt with it without making a fuss and it never affected his performance.

Pure class and an absolute legend.
Best player I've ever seen in a Liverpool shirt.

Pic from one of our trips to Wembley earlier this year.
Banner courtesy of my mate DocEvil & also Harinder who had it made.   :thumbup

« Last Edit: September 8, 2012, 11:07:19 pm by SpartanRed »
'Siempre es posible' - my eyes have seen the glory...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9OHC7lIfvk4

Physical death I do not fear, death of conscience is a sure death.

Offline SpartanTree. No deccies or lights.

• Legacy Fan
  • This is ANFIELD !!!
« Reply #269 on: September 8, 2012, 11:09:35 pm »
« Last Edit: September 8, 2012, 11:12:26 pm by SpartanRed »
'Siempre es posible' - my eyes have seen the glory...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9OHC7lIfvk4

Physical death I do not fear, death of conscience is a sure death.

Offline AJL

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This time one year, we'll be the Champions again
« Reply #270 on: September 8, 2012, 11:29:32 pm »
Legend.  Pure class.
"For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side"

#JFT96

Offline CharlieAdamsLeftFoot

• has gone to Stoke with his right foot.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What you achieve in life, echoes an eternity.
« Reply #271 on: September 9, 2012, 01:05:35 am »
still astonished he has not been offered a role at the club in some capacity.
Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless,
who strove and worried so that others could share the glory,
and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say

'We're Liverpool'

Offline redoneusa

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #272 on: September 9, 2012, 02:23:49 am »
  :lmao
That is one of the funniest thing's I've ever read. Next you will be telling me that James fella was a better keeper than that Ray Clemence fella.
You will find me on Twatter: Follow my Twatter

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #273 on: September 9, 2012, 02:30:57 am »

Offline Redallover11

• Just behind Red Al Lover Number Ten in the Red Al Lover Queue
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: September 9, 2012, 03:00:27 am »
lovely video. Thank you. great memories of a great side.

Offline Something Awful

• is stinking out the feedback forum. Wants a blow job from a velociraptor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #275 on: September 9, 2012, 03:01:11 am »
still astonished he has not been offered a role at the club in some capacity.

Very much so, we should be keeping the legends under our wings, so to speak.
'Despite their  cup pedigree - since they've returned to the top flight in 1962 - Everton have, after today's results, once again gone further in the FA Cup than their much vaunted neighbours. For the record it's Everton 23 Liverpool 22  and 7 ties in 52 seasons'

Offline NatD

• Takes offence at authors and people who eat in restaurants.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #276 on: September 9, 2012, 04:51:45 am »
I hope he is being considered for a role in this proposed new Technical Committee - I can't think of a better person, or ambassador, to re-join our club.
"...waking up at 12 in my clothes again, feel my head explode from a night of Gin..."

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #277 on: September 9, 2012, 05:39:37 am »
The thing about Barnes was that his delivery was nothing out of the ordinary. You cross a ball on the run to consistent place for your forwards to smash into the net. Any decent player can practice that in the same way you practice free kicks from specific locations.

What was unique about him was his ability to get past defenders to get to a spot where he could get the cross in.

In addition to his on field brilliance, he was the first footballer to rap on a #1 Song.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #278 on: September 9, 2012, 06:28:17 am »
I hope he is being considered for a role in this proposed new Technical Committee - I can't think of a better person, or ambassador, to re-join our club.
True, absolutely criminal that this man doesn't have a role at the club already, his ability as a player was world class, surely some sort of coaching role should be possible?, or even an ambassadorial role, after all the saneness and logic he brought to the whole Suarez/no 3 at that other club debacle.

Great man, great player.

Offline decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #279 on: September 9, 2012, 07:03:59 am »
I started supporting Liverpool in '91 when I was 7, so I probably came in right as Barnes' (and Liverpool's) peak years were ending. That youtube compilation though was a beautiful educator and reminder to people like me on how magnificent he really was. It's sad that he never got to play in (and probably win) the European Cup with that wonderful team - if that had been the case his reputation would undoubtedly have been greater worldwide and maybe he'd be seen now as the greatest player of the late 80s.

True, absolutely criminal that this man doesn't have a role at the club already, his ability as a player was world class, surely some sort of coaching role should be possible?, or even an ambassadorial role, after all the saneness and logic he brought to the whole Suarez/no 3 at that other club debacle.

Great man, great player.

It is sad that he doesn't have an ambassadorial role at least, even on an on-off basis. Regarding coaching though, unfortunately after his less-than-successful stints at Celtic and Tranmere I couldn't see that happening.