Author Topic: Rafa knocks back contract  (Read 140854 times)

Offline Narf

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA
Re: Rafa knocks back contract
« Reply #600 on: January 16, 2009, 04:22:03 pm »
Or he could be seen as spitting his dummy out and throwing his toys out of the pram because he has not got his way again, there are always two sides.

True, but is there anyone who thinks he shouldn't be given more control of signing?

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #601 on: January 16, 2009, 04:22:08 pm »
I do remember reading a story in Carra's book about being called into Rafa's office and Rafa saying he would extend his contract without a pay-rise.

Carra fumed and got onto his advisor who got onto Parry and everything was sorted

Can imagine Rafa upsetting some apple carts if he was to have control of contract negotations and he is one stubborn fucker

Not sure he should even be getting involved in stuff like that, he is too controlling, I want him to be a coach and concentrate on us winning the league

There is obviously some issues with Rafa not getting first targets and things taking too long so there is room for improvements or even a compromise with regards to roles and responsibilities but lets have the manager concentrate on bringing home number 19 and not being breaking fucking news every Friday

Offline fry

• or stew
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hoe Hoe Hoe
« Reply #602 on: January 16, 2009, 04:23:17 pm »
so give rafa benitez carte blanche  ?
Yes, within a budget set out by new owners hopefully, some money that has not been borrowed.
Disclaimer: The above post may not be based on facts even if stated as fact.

Offline mainstandred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #603 on: January 16, 2009, 04:24:09 pm »
stand your ground Rafa lad,the match going fans back you 100%
has you will see on Monday night.

What is it about is it all about Rafa benitez or is about Liverpool Football Club playing football .

Because all i have seen for a week now is rafa this and rafa that nothing about the games coming up .

Offline RAFA - 6 - 19

• Fighteningly inept.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #604 on: January 16, 2009, 04:24:43 pm »
is rafa not doing what anyone would do when bargaining? Make an outlandish request and then get knocked down to what you expect with the hope to get more than you expected. Rather than suggest what you want and got knocked down to below that.

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #605 on: January 16, 2009, 04:25:06 pm »
I do remember reading a story in Carra's book about being called into Rafa's office and Rafa saying he would extend his contract without a pay-rise.

Carra fumed and got onto his advisor who got onto Parry and everything was sorted

I read that as well, Carra came across as a bit of an Ashley Cole over it didn't he?  ;D

lets have the manager concentrate on bringing home number 19 and not being breaking fucking news every Friday

Amen
Legacy fan

Offline mulfella

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hedgehogs are boss
« Reply #606 on: January 16, 2009, 04:26:10 pm »

Its not Carte Blanche though is it?

You give him a set budget and he works within it. simple. If he fails there are no excuses or blame to be spread around.

Surround him with a support team to handle the actual buying and selling, but Rafa says the yes or no within the budgets he's got.

A place full of grammer Nazi's?
'Grammar' and no apostrophe in 'nazis'.

Offline mainstandred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #607 on: January 16, 2009, 04:27:16 pm »
is rafa not doing what anyone would do when bargaining? Make an outlandish request and then get knocked down to what you expect with the hope to get more than you expected. Rather than suggest what you want and got knocked down to below that.
no problem with negotiations on going but to make it public like he has in a massive week is wrong especially after a week of the fighting with man utd .

royhendo

« Reply #608 on: January 16, 2009, 04:27:40 pm »

Yes. If he then proceeds to fuck things up within the pre-planned budgetary constraints, then so be it. If not, then so be it.

Either way these are the conditions that ambitious managers want to work under. Rafa, Mourinho, whoever is at the very top end of the profession - they want control of their project if they're going to be asked to implement a long-term sporting project.

As things stand we have a redundant step in our process that wastes opportunity after opportunity and causes problems where they could be avoided.

If Rafa had dealt with O'Neill directly this summer, it would have been simple. Rafa says "how much for Barry?" O'Neill says "a lot more than you can afford and we'll fight you tooth and nail". Rafa says "OK then we'll leave it - cheers."

Offline mainstandred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #609 on: January 16, 2009, 04:29:22 pm »
Yes. If he then proceeds to fuck things up within the pre-planned budgetary constraints, then so be it. If not, then so be it.

Either way these are the conditions that ambitious managers want to work under. Rafa, Mourinho, whoever is at the very top end of the profession - they want control of their project if they're going to be asked to implement a long-term sporting project.

As things stand we have a redundant step in our process that wastes opportunity after opportunity and causes problems where they could be avoided.

If Rafa had dealt with O'Neill directly this summer, it would have been simple. Rafa says "how much for Barry?" O'Neill says "a lot more than you can afford and we'll fight you tooth and nail". Rafa says "OK then we'll leave it - cheers."
yes and alonso would be gone , and kenyon at chelsea done and does all deals same as gill united so on and so on .

Offline RAFA - 6 - 19

• Fighteningly inept.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #610 on: January 16, 2009, 04:29:23 pm »
no problem with negotiations on going but to make it public like he has in a massive week is wrong especially after a week of the fighting with man utd .

i think it is good timing as nothing is going to distract anyone from 2 games against everton. Everyone will be so up for it. I personally think it is good timing but i can see why you dont

Offline Jason McG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #611 on: January 16, 2009, 04:29:47 pm »

Read the comments from Rafa in the Echo and quote the 'outlandish requests' please.

I'm so fucking angry I'm rubbing my face!!!

Offline IrishDave

• This custom title is invisible
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert clever comment here ............
« Reply #612 on: January 16, 2009, 04:29:51 pm »
The "blank cheque" was a figure of speech, but I don't think that he should be able to spend the money as he sees fit - he should have to run his purchases past someone.
Why not? As long as he works within the budget stipulated by the board, what's the problem? Do you want him to take footballing advice from the board?

If Rafa gets the blame for the poor results then he should at least be allowed to buy whoever he wants so that it is his team out there.

He is not asking for £100m to blow on one player. He is not asking for a blank cheque.
Keep your friends close & your enemies won't matter

Offline Bogman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #613 on: January 16, 2009, 04:31:07 pm »

Funnilty enough, everyone is talking about this and NOT the two games against the bluescum.
I saw Saddam's hanging on YouTube and it made me think. It made me think... is there nothing on the Internet that I won't masturbate to?

Offline RAFA - 6 - 19

• Fighteningly inept.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #614 on: January 16, 2009, 04:31:38 pm »
yes and alonso would be gone , and kenyon at chelsea done and does all deals same as gill united so on and so on .

if rafa had been backed we would have had barry and alonso.
we dont have a kenyon or a gill though. You are talking about money no object for both and united is excellently run

Offline RAFA - 6 - 19

• Fighteningly inept.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #615 on: January 16, 2009, 04:32:10 pm »
rafa has focused everything on him, when mourinho did it he was a genius

Offline rafabenihill

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #616 on: January 16, 2009, 04:33:08 pm »
Correct .
This club of ours is called Liverpool Football Club 

Not Rafa Benitez Football Club .

yeah here u go again pitting rafa against u loyal supporters..
its never rafa vs liverpool fc, u hypocrites
White liquid in a bottle. It's milk, for sure.

Offline RAFA - 6 - 19

• Fighteningly inept.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #617 on: January 16, 2009, 04:33:37 pm »
Read the comments from Rafa in the Echo and quote the 'outlandish requests' please.

complete control could be deemed as over the top, i dont know the ins and outs though.  Maybe outlandish is the worng word.
I think you get the gist of my post though. Aim high and get knocked down to what you want or maybe more than you expected

Offline SallyCinnamon

• Dr. Greenthumb
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #618 on: January 16, 2009, 04:33:59 pm »
The "blank cheque" was a figure of speech, but I don't think that he should be able to spend the money as he sees fit - he should have to run his purchases past someone.

Could you explain to me why/how you think like that because for the life of me i just don't understand,as far as i am comcerned Rafa should be given a budget each season and then work from said budget buying and selling players as & when he sees fit..

Without that freedom it is impossible for anyone to fully judge him and when the shoe fits for him to take the blame when things go wrong.
Journalist: Without giving any secrets away, how do you practice when you haven't got a six foot seven player in the squad? How on earth can you prepare?

It's about beating him in the air, so we will use Mascherano against him!

NinjaVideo

royhendo

« Reply #619 on: January 16, 2009, 04:35:42 pm »

How would Alonso be gone? Juve never met the asking price, nor did Arsenal. Do we thank Parry for that?

Offline SallyCinnamon

• Dr. Greenthumb
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #620 on: January 16, 2009, 04:35:44 pm »

Gill does what he is told when it comes to transfers.
Journalist: Without giving any secrets away, how do you practice when you haven't got a six foot seven player in the squad? How on earth can you prepare?

NinjaVideo

royhendo

« Reply #621 on: January 16, 2009, 04:38:04 pm »
Anyway, even if Rafa had been in the siuation he wants and he had sold Alonso, it would be his head on the chopping block. No excuses, no complaints. That's fair enough in my view.

Offline RAFA - 6 - 19

• Fighteningly inept.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #622 on: January 16, 2009, 04:39:47 pm »
i agree , back the manager, if he fails then he goes but what is deemed as failure as look at wengers trophy haul over the last 13 years and his current team's performance and position.

Offline SallyCinnamon

• Dr. Greenthumb
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #623 on: January 16, 2009, 04:40:03 pm »
Anyway, even if Rafa had been in the siuation he wants and he had sold Alonso, it would be his head on the chopping block. No excuses, no complaints. That's fair enough in my view.

And that is the way it should be,the buck stops with Rafa but only if he's not got one arm tied behind his back.

NinjaVideo

Offline StormyDog

• You know had only 4 shots on target
  • Legacy Fan
  • Give yourself the chance to be Heroes
« Reply #624 on: January 16, 2009, 04:44:33 pm »

Can imagine Rafa upsetting some apple carts if he was to have control of contract negotations and he is one stubborn fucker

Not sure he should even be getting involved in stuff like that, he is too controlling, I want him to be a coach and concentrate on us winning the league

There is obviously some issues with Rafa not getting first targets and things taking too long so there is room for improvements or even a compromise with regards to roles and responsibilities but lets have the manager concentrate on bringing home number 19 and not being breaking fucking news every Friday
From the same source (Carra's book)
The second 1/2 of that offer was that Rafa had put massive win and cup bonuses which at the time was something Carra wasn't used to.

IMO Rafa want players to fight for every win, not be happy to coast on £100K a week.
Gerrard / Torres even Kuyt to some extent are less motivated by money than the rest.
Pep Guardiola: "We knew immediately when the draw was made - Anfield, they won it five times, the fans believe - it will be hard. We were beaten by an exceptional team."

Offline xerxes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #625 on: January 16, 2009, 04:45:07 pm »
Why not? As long as he works within the budget stipulated by the board, what's the problem? Do you want him to take footballing advice from the board?

The problem is that when people have had that kind of power in the past, they have put sections of it in brown envelopes and given it to other managers. Not saying Rafa would do that, but there are now rules to stop that kind of thing.
Xerxes MBE

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #626 on: January 16, 2009, 04:47:54 pm »
One of us must have misunderstood Rafa's demands. As far as I can tell he only wants to work freely withing his budgets, wich means that he isn't making any committments on behalf of the club that it can't afford. It's not like Rafa is wanting to control the entire financial piece of the club, and I am sure he is aware that it is someone else who has to make the final siging of the checks, he just wants to have the final word in who is getting bought, and if he finds it fit to spend all of the transferbudget on one player, then the club should buy that player as long as its withing the limits of the budget, and not give a shit about who that player is, as it is up to the manager to create the team. They should just make sure the club does well economically, and set the boundaries for the manager to work within.
IIRC, there were talk of "commercial appeal" on these boards during the summer. Were they being serious or are these just rumours?
For instance- signing an obviously talented player with fan appeal instead of a player with talent only- sort of like a football club that moonlights as a modelling agency/Pop Idols. If it were, Hicks would certainly make for a very, very, poor man's Simon Cowell.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 04:51:08 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline SallyCinnamon

• Dr. Greenthumb
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #627 on: January 16, 2009, 04:48:48 pm »
The problem is that when people have had that kind of power in the past, they have put sections of it in brown envelopes and given it to other managers. Not saying Rafa would do that, but there are now rules to stop that kind of thing.

Sorry but that is a rubbish stance for notr giving him the control Football is alot more transparent than it was back in the days of Brown envelopes.

NinjaVideo

Offline HARRY G

• Anny Roader
« Reply #628 on: January 16, 2009, 04:49:53 pm »
Sorry to sound a bit obvious.....but even though i dislike the yanks as much as anyone....... is it not true that like it or not they are the employers and Rafa is one of their employees.

Since when has an employee had total control of their bosses finances?

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #629 on: January 16, 2009, 04:50:03 pm »
The one arm tied behind his back views sure look true when you look at our bench last week....Torres, Keane, Babel & Dossena..60m plus of talent sitting on tehbench sure has most people thinking how can rafa win the league with such a disadvantage.

Thats it, better things to talk about me thinks.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Pissin all over the world

• Main Stander
« Reply #630 on: January 16, 2009, 04:50:11 pm »
I wonder how much that c*nt Parrys got to do with this? Throwing his 50 pence worth in, the power tripping tit
SITTIN ON THE DOCK OF THE BAY LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADD!!!

Offline RAFA - 6 - 19

• Fighteningly inept.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #631 on: January 16, 2009, 04:51:11 pm »
i think the best players have commercial appeal anyway, rooney and ronaldinho are hardly lookers

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #632 on: January 16, 2009, 04:51:46 pm »
Sorry to sound a bit obvious.....but even though i dislike the yanks as much as anyone....... is it not true that like it or not they are the employers and Rafa is one of their employees.

happens all the time in business.

Here's your budget.

Any special request you go back to the bosses.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline rafabenihill

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #633 on: January 16, 2009, 04:51:50 pm »

???  :duh

White liquid in a bottle. It's milk, for sure.

Offline mulfella

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hedgehogs are boss
« Reply #634 on: January 16, 2009, 04:54:10 pm »

He wouldn't. He would be given a budget for the football side of the operation, set by the board and chief financial officer.

Much like any commercial venture.

In my time as an IT maanger, I'd apply for and be given a budget to spend towards achieving the goals of the company. Any special expenditure to be signed off but control other than that was mine.

I had to get results though.........

happens all the time in business.

Here's your budget.

Any special request you go back to the bosses.

Agrees with 4pool shocker :)
A place full of grammer Nazi's?
'Grammar' and no apostrophe in 'nazis'.

Offline Red_Skippy

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
    • Facebook
« Reply #635 on: January 16, 2009, 04:55:21 pm »
Fukn' Yanks! Are Americans ever good for anything?
I think I love football more than woman...

Offline RAFA - 6 - 19

• Fighteningly inept.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #636 on: January 16, 2009, 04:58:06 pm »
rafa will be judged on results, if we come 2nd i get the impression there will be boos at anfield and some fans wont be happy

i dont think fans are preapred for the likelihood we could fail this season and then push on next season, they want a leapfrog from 4th to 1st without the pain of missing out. It is understandable but maybe not so realistic

Rafa has great contacts too which helps. Rafa, Masch, Maradona and Torres may help us sign a certain someone for a lower price than others may have to pay
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 04:59:40 pm by RAFA - 6 - 19 »

royhendo

« Reply #637 on: January 16, 2009, 04:59:12 pm »

It's like the BBC "Storyville" documentary Barca, showing how they turned the club round from a debt-ridden nightmare scenario to a world class operation. One of the first things they did was mandate performance-related contracts - you even get an insight into the negotiations for Davids to come and play there, and you watch as players who were happy to coast along and pick their wages up get pissed off and prepare to leave (Kluivert, Motta, and so forth).

One thing's for sure, if those were the standard contract structures in place at the club, you'd have a lot fewer Pennant-style situations, and you'd only retain players who are properly motivated, which at a club with budgetary issues to address and limited income compared with our direct competitors (which has just gotten worse with Man City's madness), is possibly a good thing.

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #638 on: January 16, 2009, 04:59:43 pm »

I dont think he wants control of the lunch budget and how much the cleaners get paid.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #639 on: January 16, 2009, 05:00:57 pm »
Fukn' Yanks! Are Americans ever good for anything?

Yes - at being very annoying and upbeat about everything
and saying the word AWESOME
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am