Author Topic: Old photos of and around Liverpool  (Read 847984 times)

Offline L12

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Old photos of and around Liverpool
« Reply #1960 on: November 2, 2013, 08:36:04 pm »
Holy smokes very good,
 Parliament Street & St James Place. Opened in 1874,closed it's doors to passengers around 1916. View is looking south under Ashwell Street bridge.
Do you know what side of the tunnel that pic is of ?,
« Last Edit: November 3, 2013, 02:13:30 am by L12 »

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #1961 on: November 3, 2013, 07:37:31 am »
...Do you know what side of the tunnel that pic is of ?,

It's looking north from the Stanhope St bridge Streetview

..above is from here
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Mel Wood

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1962 on: November 3, 2013, 06:12:53 pm »

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #1963 on: November 3, 2013, 07:47:51 pm »
Here's an easy one from the ever excellent Yo.

Very close to the site of a huge ammunition train explosion the night of 3/4 May 1941.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1964 on: November 3, 2013, 08:27:44 pm »
Shite gulley I can't think of the name of the rd, its on the way to the Dockers Club with its playing fields on the left after the bridge?

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Would welcome a premature one, apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
Plenty well, no pray; big bellyache, heap God

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1966 on: November 3, 2013, 08:30:59 pm »
Thats it mate

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1967 on: November 3, 2013, 08:47:18 pm »
I don't think I've posted this pic before - I know I've meant to a few times - but I've always decided it's a bit too vague/local. But sod it, you never know; I know I don't. All I have is the info in the title of the photo.

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1968 on: November 3, 2013, 10:06:48 pm »
I thought it might of been SFX at first, but realised it's not.

I can't quite place what looks like a church in the background, with what looks like a life sized white marble statue of the Virgiun Mary or something, over the doorway.

I'm presuming it's a building thats now no longer with us.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #1969 on: November 3, 2013, 11:03:58 pm »
Thats it mate

New bridge these days...

Flikr

I'm presuming it's a building thats now no longer with us.

My thoughts too.

It looks like it must be RockCake by the statue of the Virgin Mary and the headscarves on the women.
At a wild guess, it could be Vauxhall or Scottie Rd way.
I've tried various search combinations Holy/Blessed Virgin/Mary and such but no joy.
Perhaps a search through Scottie press might reveal something.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #1970 on: November 4, 2013, 12:56:32 am »
Here's another past and present...

from Pizco

No wonder I get lost when I come back up and drive round town.
I came across this and thought yes, I recognise that from when I was a kid, but then I looked at Streetview and tried to locate it...
The only point of reference was the spire on St Oswalds.

Here it is now on Streetview

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #1971 on: November 4, 2013, 06:04:02 am »
I don't think I've posted this pic before - I know I've meant to a few times - but I've always decided it's a bit too vague/local. But sod it, you never know; I know I don't. All I have is the info in the title of the photo.

Found it in here

It's St Malachy's RC Church & school, Southwell Place, Toxteth, L8 5XW, only demolished back in 2010.

This is the site in streetview now

Looks like the statue might have gone sometime back.

According to Geo ... St Malachy's Toxteth and adjoining Beaufort Street School. The church is in Beaufort Street although the school was listed as Robertson St in the 1911 Directory. An infants building was added in 1971.

There's a flikr from a side angle ... here

The lads at 28dayslater had a poke around just the school part prior to demolition...here

« Last Edit: November 4, 2013, 06:14:03 am by The Gulleysucker »

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1972 on: November 4, 2013, 09:22:16 am »
What the...how the...I don't believe you GS. I mean... I don't believe you

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #1973 on: November 4, 2013, 01:44:10 pm »
What the...how the...I don't believe you GS. I mean... I don't believe you
;D

To be honest Tsar, I was somewhat surprised at finding it so quickly myself.

I'd done some quick googles the other night like I mentioned, blessed virgin mary combinations etc, but it was looking like a monumental and frankly impossible task.

One thing I did notice early on was the church in that photo did seem to have a pretty unique feature, those two shaped windows either side of the entrance, and obviously that big building attached to it too, while all the ones showing from the google didn't. It seemed to be a possibly telling visual clue.

Anyway, this morning, I woke up early and while having a cuppa, thought I'd have another go, not really expecting success.

I remember from the other year coming across some site that had photo's of now demolished churches around town so I did a google for demolished church liverpool  and low and behold that flikr site that I linked to came up in the results. I drilled into it, really not expecting to find the church as many photo's on the web seem to be just interior shots, and low and behold, there it was, a church and attached building that looked like it could fit the bill and on which close examination revealed all those windows and features of the church and the attached building lined up perfectly. Once I had the name I googled it and further pics and details showed up to confirm it.

I'm not normally this lucky.

One thing I notice that's rather sad though, is looking at the scene these days on streetview, indeed with any of these old photo's compared to modern times, just how lifeless the area now is.

I know cities are constantly evolving for changed times, but it seems with each passing year, the Liverpool of my youth, once always seeming to be bustling and busy and with a real purpose, it all just seems to disappear and you start to doubt your own memories of the place. Perils of growing old I suppose.

I guess when you're living there you adapt to the changes as they are happening and accept them, but if you've been away for like in my instance, 33 years now except for the odd fleeting visit, the dissassociation with what you see of the current Liverpool against your memories of the place becomes stronger.

Anyway, some other sites I encountered....not sure if they've already been linked to but worth a gander...

A huge number of shots in here arranged by postcode that I don't recall seeing before...they also do some ebooks that may be of interest, see link to side.

http://www.liverpool-city-group.com/cgi-bin/liverpooldb.cgi?db=liverpool&uid=default&postcode=L.4&sb=17&so=descend&view_records=Go
(this link is set for L4, go to the bottom of page to select a different postcode)

Here are some of the old Territorial barracks dotted around... http://liverpoolremembrance.weebly.com/

Here's some memories of the old and now gone Stadium ... http://www.catalystmedia.org.uk/issues/misc/articles/liverpool_stadium.php

And a repeat link to Scottie Press for those unaware of it, they're doing a great job keeping the history of Vauxhall documented and could do with some donations if anyone has got any spare spondooly... http://www.scottiepress.org/

Offline L12

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1974 on: November 4, 2013, 02:03:19 pm »
 :)

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Deliverer of the -Q- de grace.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thought I was wrong once - but I was mistaken.
« Reply #1975 on: November 4, 2013, 03:17:32 pm »
For Manchester too it's as GS says. All the changes in the intervening years make it alien and unrecognisable.I wouldn't be 100% able today to navigate through the district I grew up in 50 years back.

I once took my two eldest children Joanne and Anthony when they were about 10 and 8 (they are 47 and 45 respectively now!) ) to show them the 2 up -2 down terraced house in Ardwick where their gran and grandad lived and where me, their aunties Mary, Ann, Pat and Veronica and their uncle Mike grew up until 1959 - until we were slum-cleared to Wythenshawe, then the largest council estate in Europe at 100K plus people.
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #1976 on: November 4, 2013, 09:01:59 pm »
crackin late 60's pic of Roe Street...Magic Clock boozer on the left...and the Royal Court just visible on the right

They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1977 on: November 4, 2013, 09:06:43 pm »
And not a million miles away ( well. about 100 yards actually)

Williamson Square.

The cars in the foreground, now being where the fountain is.

Offline alfonso

• Simply adores orange squash. With not one, not two either, but yea verily with three, that is correct, THREE ice cubes therein! Do not forget his straw though.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Salford - crime capital of England
« Reply #1978 on: November 5, 2013, 03:42:52 am »
Check out these videos from 1980 for a German documentary - Netherley Flats:

http://youtu.be/3oteY03a1tY

and Tower Hill:

http://youtu.be/EJwVxAlh_ZQ
"I know Liverpool fans care more about their club's success than the national team." Rafael Benitez

"Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second." Bob Paisley

"When zonal marking goes wrong, the system is blamed. When man-to-man marking fails, an individual is blamed and the system goes uncriticised." A LFC fan talking sense

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #1979 on: November 5, 2013, 05:25:51 pm »
still on the Williamson Square theme...some boss 1970's footage...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/u2zPq_8uymc&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/u2zPq_8uymc&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1</a>
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #1980 on: November 5, 2013, 05:54:20 pm »
That's a great little snippet.

The jumping bean man! I'd forgotten all about him.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1981 on: November 5, 2013, 09:28:15 pm »
https://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=53.406006,-2.978773&spn=0.000974,0.002642&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=53.406079,-2.978835&panoid=C6OxOzo-FCVZvAw9FhMiwg&cbp=12,57.15,,0,-17.83

What a sorry state.  A year ago this too.  I know I've posted about it before but it's just a massive shame to see it like this, it's something that could have all the potential in the world.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1982 on: November 5, 2013, 09:39:51 pm »
The whole of Lime street is a shithole, all the money went on L1.

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #1983 on: November 5, 2013, 09:52:51 pm »
https://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=53.406006,-2.978773&spn=0.000974,0.002642&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=53.406079,-2.978835&panoid=C6OxOzo-FCVZvAw9FhMiwg&cbp=12,57.15,,0,-17.83

What a sorry state.  A year ago this too.  I know I've posted about it before but it's just a massive shame to see it like this, it's something that could have all the potential in the world.

Its an absolute fuckin scandal that nothing has been done to that area - been left to rot and literally fall to pieces ...the council say there's nothing they can do because the property's are owned by private landlords but I cant believe there isnt some way to force the owners hands ...its been like that for decades now.....and considering its one of the first thoroughfares visitors encounter when they depart Lime Street Station (the almost as bad London Rd being another) im astounded they havent tried to resolve the issue.......

out of interest the dilapidated building next to the cinema was the original M&S Penny Bazaar...you can still see part of the old sign when you pass it today.....great shame to see this crumbling to bits also

« Last Edit: November 5, 2013, 10:04:43 pm by Pistolero »

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1984 on: November 6, 2013, 06:46:54 am »
M&S started off in Leeds back end of the 19th century. Their first excursion into the North-West was when they opened two stalls on Birkenhead market.

See below - a real rags to riches story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marks_&_Spencer#History
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline goalspaytherent

• Just thought of a CT.....then saw the post history.....not gonna bother.......
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm your huckleberry
« Reply #1985 on: November 6, 2013, 01:31:19 pm »
What app are people using for these "old photos inside modern " images ? Have had a look around internet but can't seem to find which one is best for doing this .......help appreciated

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1986 on: November 6, 2013, 02:15:58 pm »
What app are people using for these "old photos inside modern " images ? Have had a look around internet but can't seem to find which one is best for doing this .......help appreciated
Would of thought Photoshop, complex and expensive though.

Offline goalspaytherent

• Just thought of a CT.....then saw the post history.....not gonna bother.......
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm your huckleberry
« Reply #1987 on: November 6, 2013, 02:31:28 pm »
Would of thought Photoshop, complex and expensive though.

Probably just effective to hold them myself and take the photo ! ( and a lot fucking cheaper )

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1988 on: November 6, 2013, 03:12:03 pm »

Found it in here

It's St Malachy's RC Church & school, Southwell Place, Toxteth, L8 5XW, only demolished back in 2010.

This is the site in streetview now

Looks like the statue might have gone sometime back.

According to Geo ... St Malachy's Toxteth and adjoining Beaufort Street School. The church is in Beaufort Street although the school was listed as Robertson St in the 1911 Directory. An infants building was added in 1971.

There's a flikr from a side angle ... here

The lads at 28dayslater had a poke around just the school part prior to demolition...here

I lived in the high rise flats over the road from St Malachy's  they were called Leighton View. Dingle was like a wasteland then, I'd have mates from outside Liverpool staying and they couldn't believe how bad it was, worse than the Bronx. We campaigned to have our block knocked down it was so bad and I moved out early eighties about 84. Anyone any pictures of Leighton View, I'd love to see it again. Btw one of those caption wrongly says it's St Malchys with Beaufort Street School next to it., that's St Malachys School, Beaufort Street School is around the corner, now demolished, It's where my Dad went to school http://www.liverpool-schools.co.uk/html/beaufort_st.html
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1989 on: November 6, 2013, 03:22:54 pm »
That last photo is taken from just infront of where our flats stood, haven't seen that view for twenty years.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1990 on: November 7, 2013, 10:56:22 am »
Was going to say something about the fact that a state school was attached to a Catholic church surely could not be correct. Our parish church St. Brigid's in Bradford Manchester 11 was built in the 1860's on Mill Street to accomodate overspill Irish families from the adjoining neighbourhoods of Beswick and Ancoats. Our school was like St Malachy's Liverpool attached to the church.

It was knocked down (in the late 1970's I think ) to make way for the redevelopment of East Manchester (where Bradford Pit and Bradford Gasworks used to be) and eventually the area became known as "Eastlands" (why they changed it's historical district name of Bradford I've no idea!)  and it's where the Commonwealth Stadium / Eastlands / Etihad now stands.

I remember having the urge to take a nostalgic visit to see it one more time - only to find out that I missed it by one week. The previous week they brought the church to the ground.

Especially poignant for me since my parents went to school and were married there, I was an altar boy there as was my dad and grandad plus along the church wall were tiled panels carrying the names of all parishioners who had been killed in the Great War. My grandad Ted's brother also called John had his name on there and it would have been nice to have rescued that tile and taken it home with me.     
« Last Edit: November 7, 2013, 10:58:19 am by Johnnowhite »

Offline the 92A

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1991 on: November 7, 2013, 11:39:28 pm »
Was going to say something   
St Malachys school had a great boxing club in my Dad's time and  the interior was used for the film The priest by Jimmy McGovern staring Ken Barlow's lad and Robert Carlile, watch the first bit as he walks out of St Malachys with the cross and you get a brief glimpse of the exterior before it moves away and at 4.38 you see where our flats stood. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23dzSumIKTc
« Last Edit: November 7, 2013, 11:47:15 pm by The 92A »

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1992 on: November 8, 2013, 09:12:30 am »
^^^

They also had a snooker table somewhere, at least they did in the 50s.

Another church that's no longer with us:

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1993 on: November 8, 2013, 07:33:20 pm »
St Malachys school had a great boxing club in my Dad's time and  the interior was used for the film The priest by Jimmy McGovern staring Ken Barlow's lad and Robert Carlile,

Beautiful old church that Albie. Very much like St Brigids inside in fact. We had 2  huge statues, each about 8 foot tall. One was of St Patrick and the other of St Brigid (the patron saints of Ireland) which stood on elevated supports either side of the high altar.
Where those two statues went after Biddies (local pet name for our church and school) was demolished I don't know.

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1994 on: November 14, 2013, 10:28:05 pm »
Looking out over the Mersey Forge yard at what seems to be the 'Great Eastern' out on the river. It would also have been photographed from not far away from where the 'Great Eastern' pub now stands (or did; haven't been down for a while).

Offline Big Red Richie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1995 on: November 14, 2013, 10:53:34 pm »
Sadly, The Great Eastern pub (Mill St. L8 ) has been down a few years now.

Nice photo though.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1996 on: November 18, 2013, 10:23:20 pm »

and Tower Hill:

Showed the Tower Hill one to the missus, as thats where I grew up. We used to play in the flats before they got demolished and the bit with the Rick Tomlinson lookalike was filmed just around the corner from where we lived. My missus grew up in a really nice middle class area, she couldn't believe how big a shithole I grew up in.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Licky

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #1997 on: November 22, 2013, 09:07:17 am »
Some great aerial shots of Liverpool from the 20's, 30's and 40's on britainfromabove.org.uk, I've just spent a few hours mooching around on there, it's worth registering as you can zoom in on the pics once registered.
They have translated from Halmstads to Malmo, to Orebo to Neuchatel Xamax, to the Swiss national team, so I find the question insulting.

Offline Lenin.

• Rita out.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "We All Shine On"
« Reply #1998 on: November 22, 2013, 11:02:40 am »

and Tower Hill:

Here is the full German 1980 documentary about Liverpool.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q7ljHh9NX5Y" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Q7ljHh9NX5Y</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/B217kpH2smU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/B217kpH2smU</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/eJgm3NwxKto" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/eJgm3NwxKto</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/olZZJ7813Ys" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/olZZJ7813Ys</a>
Oh you English are SO superior aren't you? Well, would you like to know where you'd be without US the good old U.S. of A. to protect you? I'll tell you. The smallest fucking province in the Russian Empire, that's where! If it wasn't for us, you'd all be speaking German, singing, "Deutschland, Deutschland Uber Alles!"

Offline back aftie

• Boys Pen
« Reply #1999 on: November 25, 2013, 04:12:49 pm »
Yes, but both the Ark and Hermes had angle decks by the late 60's which is why I was plumping for the old Bulwark or Albion, which although soldiering on till the early 80's would fit the timeframe of the photo,  neither ever had that upgrade and that carrier in the picture doesn't have an angle deck. Ark and Hermes also had the huge searchlight type radar on top of the tower around that probable time.
Just noticed, if you look closely you can just make out the circles for the helicopter landing zones along the deck so I think it's highly likely one of those two commando carriers.

Edit. Just noticed Albion was struck off in 72 so I'm guessing it's likely Bulwark.

And a further edit, visits of aircraft carriers to the Mersey .. http://derbosoft.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=history&action=print&thread=1790

After H.M.S. ALBION, LIVERPOOL PIER HEAD, May 1967

I'm guessing from the landmarks that the possible time frame of the picture makes it one of these...

H.M.S. EAGLE, PIER HEAD, February/March 1970
H.M.S. ALBION, PIER HEAD, May 1970
H.M.S. ARK ROYAL, LANDING STAGE, June 1970
H.M.S. BULWARK, LIVERPOOL PIER HEAD, 30th June - 6th July 1971

My favourite is probably that last one.