Author Topic: Old photos of and around Liverpool  (Read 849816 times)

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
Re: Old photos of and around Liverpool
« Reply #1720 on: March 26, 2013, 04:58:11 pm »

That's Ian Ayre on his motorbike......that lad turns up everywhere these days.
 ;)
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1721 on: March 26, 2013, 05:33:31 pm »
That's Ian Ayre on his motorbike......that lad turns up everywhere these days.
 ;)
Spiriting away a ton of cash in his sidecar.

Online Tsar Kastik

• Would welcome a premature one, apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1722 on: March 26, 2013, 06:30:18 pm »
Richie ! I don't know about a ton of cash, but it could be a ton of bronze ! Where's Wellington gone?
Plenty well, no pray; big bellyache, heap God

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1723 on: March 26, 2013, 06:39:11 pm »
He's there.

He's just camouflaged in pigeon shit.  ;)

What year is it anyway?

Looks 40s to me, but I'd expect the kerbstones to be painted white, in the 40s or early 50s etc.

Has he ever been removed for safekeeping?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 06:47:00 pm by Big Red Richie »

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #1724 on: March 26, 2013, 07:47:58 pm »
I don't think it's really missing, I think it's just the photo that's been cropped.
You can just make out a faint grey band that runs right across the top.
As for year, sometime between '45 and '55. 
I love the jaunty angle of cap on the lad at the bottom right with his Judy....

Offline Mel Wood

• Main Stander
« Reply #1725 on: March 26, 2013, 11:19:59 pm »
Alright all. Just an update, 25 added from around Wavertree, Woolton, Gateacre and Childwall tonight if anyone'd like to see em?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithjones84/sets/72157632063149974/

http://www.facebook.com/LiverpoolThenAndNow

Here's one.

Woolton Street, Woolton, 1907 in 2013 by Keithjones84, on Flickr

Online Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1726 on: March 28, 2013, 12:15:06 pm »
Alright all. Just an update, 25 added from around Wavertree, Woolton, Gateacre and Childwall tonight if anyone'd like to see em?

http://www.facebook.com/LiverpoolThenAndNow

Here's one.

Woolton Street, Woolton, 1907 in 2013 by Keithjones84, on Flickr

Cracking photos you've got on that Flickr site mate. Wasted hours going through that lot :D

Do you have any from around Chinatown/Park Lane by any chance? Saw the one from next to the Nook, but I used to live a bit further down Nelson Street than that - would love to see some pics of our old Tennys.

Online Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1727 on: March 28, 2013, 01:19:30 pm »
Prince Albert Gardens in the 30's - not too far way.

This might be the flats you mean, on this Flickr page...http://www.flickr.com/photos/dangerous_disco/6478851459/in/photostream/
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 01:46:59 pm by Tsar Kastik »

Offline Mel Wood

• Main Stander
« Reply #1728 on: March 28, 2013, 01:25:47 pm »

Cracking photos you've got on that Flickr site mate. Wasted hours going through that lot :D

Do you have any from around Chinatown/Park Lane by any chance? Saw the one from next to the Nook, but I used to live a bit further down Nelson Street than that - would love to see some pics of our old Tennys.
Cheers Only Me!

The only other ones around there that Ive done so far are a couple of the bowling green there and some by Grenville Road South (?) not sure if they are near the tennys you mean but there are a few in the City Centre album guv?

Online Only Me

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1729 on: March 28, 2013, 01:49:21 pm »
Cheers Only Me!

The only other ones around there that Ive done so far are a couple of the bowling green there and some by Grenville Road South (?) not sure if they are near the tennys you mean but there are a few in the City Centre album guv?

Thanks very much for the reply mate.

You're getting closer!  Our Tennys were right at the very bottom of Nelson Street, at the junction with St. James' St., between the Clock pub and St.Vinny's church.

The Bowlie is about 100 yards further up Nelson Street from where I lived, and Grenville St South was off Nelson St. heading down towards Kent Gardens. Our old stomping ground when we were about 7 was the Grenville St Playground; known locally as "the swings" [imaginative eh!]. Think its actually still there.

I remember the bowlie being a proper, very well kept bowling green, [there were actually 2 large raised greens, and a little clubhouse]. It was all fenced off, and was a lovely little place. It fell into disrepair in the early 70s, and ended up being our best grass pitches for a game of footy or cricket. You had to be careful near the touchlines though, because as I say the greens were raised, and on one side there was a four foot drop onto concrete, not to mention the ankle breaking gully all around the edge! Think its all been turned into a little park now.

Online Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1730 on: March 28, 2013, 02:51:16 pm »
What were these called, Only Me?

Online Only Me

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1731 on: March 29, 2013, 12:32:58 am »
What were these called, Only Me?

Bloody hell mate -bulls eye!

St James' gardens in all its glory. Reckon that photo is from 1982, just before it was demolished. There were 55 flats in total, Numbered 1 to 11 on the ground floor, 1a to 11a on the first landing, and so on to fourth landing [or "toppy" as it was known]. So, it was very small as tenement blocks went.

I lived there from 1966 until we moved out on 1st May 1982 [the day the news came in that the RAF had bombed Port Stanley].

An aunty of mine actually lived for a few years in the ground floor flat you can see with the bannister. That was number 3.

The brick column you can see to the right of her flat is the base of the communal rubbish chute. There was one of these every couple of flats along on each landing. You opened the chute, poured the contents of your bin in, and listened to it plummet down to the massive steel wheelie bin at the bottom of each chute.

I lived on the first landing - up those stairs you can see between the 2 square columns, round the far corner and then 2nd flat along.

The building next door was a  little factory called Critchley & Veale. The garage door you can see on the far left of the picture under the twin gables was always closed, and was our footy goal for the first 16 years of my life. It was known [depending on the colour it was painted at the time] as the green/black/red door, and was where we always played 60 seconds and 3 and in.

Weren't many cars about down there then, so your games never really got interrupted, and you could play in the street quite safely really.

there was a playgorund in the middle of the block, which you entered through a long arch - hence the playground was known to everyone as "the Arches". Too many window related accidents in there to enjoy a proper game of footy though!

The footprint of our block is still there, virtually unchanged, but there's a chinese supermarket built on it now.

Just to give a sense of where it was, the street running across the bottom of the picture is Nelson St. Follow that to the left and it becomes Chinatown about 300 yards up, then on up to the Chinese Arch.

To the immediate right of the picture is Nelson Street's junction with St James St. Cross that road and keep going straight and you'll come to the dock road in about 300 yards, just about 50 yards along from the new McNasty's.

If the photographer had eyes in the back of his head, he'd be looking straight down Park Lane, towards John Lewis' car park and Liverpool one.

I'm going now, because I've just realised how much I'm fucking waffling on and boring everybody. But thanks a lot for posting that mate. Its made my day.

Edit:

Sorry mate, just noticed your earlier post.

Yes that was Prinny Albert. Bigger block than ours, but otherwise almost identical in design. it was just a bit further along St James St., going away from town up towards Parly. It was adjacent to St Vinny's church [the beautiful and unusual spire you can see to the extreme left of the pic], which basically seperated Prinny Albert from our block, across Hardy Street. The church is still there, but the block has long gone [before ours If i remember correctly, and its now houses].

Just as well really; they were never any good at guarding their bommy wood in there.....

« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 12:44:11 am by Only Me »

Online Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1732 on: March 29, 2013, 07:43:40 pm »
This block of shops in St. James' Street was right opposite Nelson St.  From1980, so might ring a bell.

from here; http://streetsofliverpool.co.uk/

Online Only Me

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1733 on: March 29, 2013, 08:15:58 pm »
This block of shops in St. James' Street was right opposite Nelson St.  From1980, so might ring a bell.

from here; http://streetsofliverpool.co.uk/

Bloody hell mate that's a marvellous photo that. Takes me right back - our local shops them.

The one with the canopy on the corner of Watkinson St was Portland Butchers. Then there was a grocers owned by Mr & Mrs Maddock, then a boss sweet shop and newsagents owned by the lovely Mrs O'Neill [known locally as Irish Mary]. Then there was a barbers, then a little snack bar. At the end next to the pub was Harold's greengrocers, and then it was the Royal pub.

Next block down was Pat Whelan bookies, then Peggy Osborne's Chandlers shop, next to that was Jason's Chippy, then a Sayers, then the Post office, and right at the end was the Kings Pub.

Mad to thing about the wide variety of shops in such a small stretch of inner city street, isnt it?

At the left edge of the picture, in front of the posh[!] car you can just see the corner of the piece of waste land which acted as footy pitch, bommy field, playground and general hanging out place. Known locally as the billyock.

At the right edge you can see the road markings for the bus stop where I used to catch the 27 bus every morning to go to school.

In the far distance you can just see the Liver Buildings, and as you say, Nelson street was on the right, just past the tranny van. The photo of or block earlier in th thread was taken from about 30 yards to the right of that van, just out of shot.

Thanks again for the photos-so many memories!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 08:22:43 pm by Only Me »

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1734 on: March 30, 2013, 10:35:36 am »

I pass the remains of those shops on my way home, noticed they've just started knocking down what I think is the second block along in that photo, they've been derelict as long as I've been taking that route but they're finally pulling them down now. Wonder if there's plans for something in their place, or it's just safety or other reasons.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Online Only Me

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1735 on: April 1, 2013, 01:38:00 pm »
I pass the remains of those shops on my way home, noticed they've just started knocking down what I think is the second block along in that photo, they've been derelict as long as I've been taking that route but they're finally pulling them down now. Wonder if there's plans for something in their place, or it's just safety or other reasons.

Went past myself on Saturday night for the first time in ages.

Yep-half down now which is very sad for me indeed.

Have to say its understandable though - when I was a kid there were thousands of people living in the catchment area for those shops. Just a few houses there now, and then of course theres a massive Tesco on park Rd, Liverpool One just down the street etc etc.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1736 on: April 2, 2013, 06:20:41 pm »
Is there any hope for the Futurist in Lime Street?  Seems the biggest shame for me the kip it's in these days.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1737 on: April 3, 2013, 04:00:37 pm »
Is there any hope for the Futurist in Lime Street?  Seems the biggest shame for me the kip it's in these days.

We could always start a fund and buy it.  I'd love to see it as a combo theatre/bar/restaurant.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1738 on: April 3, 2013, 08:12:47 pm »
We could always start a fund and buy it.  I'd love to see it as a combo theatre/bar/restaurant.
Something that could have a local band venue as part of it too, so many of them have disappeared recently.  Plus it's right in the city centre around the corner from the main station of the city... it's just a crying shame, especially as it's the first purpose-built cinema in the city.  It opened in 1912 so it's just over 100 years old but you walk past and there's shrubs and shit coming out of the facade.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline Mel Wood

• Main Stander
« Reply #1739 on: April 3, 2013, 09:36:28 pm »
I always think it's a right shame that, The Futurist. It's a special kind of rundown when there's trees coming out of your top floor like. Quite sad for whatever reason that it's never been kept up since it closed.

While I'm here,

Added about 30 new Then and Nows from town and Kensington this week...

Edinburgh Road, Kensington, 1972 and 2013 by Keithjones84, on Flickr

St John's Gardens, 1900s in 2013 by Keithjones84, on Flickr

As usual they're here

and here

https://www.facebook.com/LiverpoolThenAndNow

If anyone fancies squizzing...

Online Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1740 on: April 4, 2013, 09:53:54 pm »
Not quite up to Mel Wood standard sorry

Online Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1741 on: April 4, 2013, 10:08:29 pm »
 An inside view taken from this Flickr site, which is worth having a squint at to see what some of the bits from the home ended up getting used for,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/turtle_recall/8060559027/in/photostream/

Offline Mel Wood

• Main Stander
« Reply #1742 on: April 5, 2013, 08:37:23 pm »
Not quite up to Mel Wood standard sorry

It's good to see guv. Just a bloody shame they knocked that place down, amongst a few others.
Would add a bit more character along with the Customs House down that way...

14 new ones added tonight, mainly from around Lime Street way, plus this one, in t'usual places...

George's Dock, 1871 and 2013 by Keithjones84, on Flickr

Offline rusty-la

• Ch ch ch ch ch ch changes. Warning! Time-waster! Ironically, can't fucking count to save his life. And thinks BBC is Channel 4.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thin Strawberry Duke
« Reply #1743 on: April 5, 2013, 11:39:13 pm »
Great picture Mel.

I'm just a watcher in this thread, but thanks to the people that post in here, its a great read

Online Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1744 on: April 6, 2013, 08:29:21 am »
Recent mentions of the Futurist and Lime St. reminded me....

Offline Mel Wood

• Main Stander
« Reply #1745 on: April 10, 2013, 08:12:48 pm »
Usual 'update', if youse don't mind!

50-odd new ones added from around Knotty Ash, Huyton, Church Street, the university and cathedrals this week so far, in the usual specs

Here's one of a Young Socialists march going through Parker Street in 1972/2013

Parker Street, 1972 in 2013 by Keithjones84, on Flickr

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1746 on: April 11, 2013, 03:32:50 pm »
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Deliverer of the -Q- de grace.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thought I was wrong once - but I was mistaken.
« Reply #1747 on: April 11, 2013, 03:58:21 pm »
Great to keep the history of your city alive.

Manchester City Council have a site where there's loads of archived photos of all the old districts prior to their demolition. There was even one of our old street in Ardwick M11.Bloody hell eh, time doesn't half fly.
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Online Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1748 on: April 11, 2013, 05:32:36 pm »
You get the feel of the amazing size of the Custom House in this photo...thanks to this site;http://my-liverpool.proboards.com/thread/5053/city-centre-images?page=2

Offline Mel Wood

• Main Stander
« Reply #1749 on: April 14, 2013, 01:08:39 am »
That's amazing - I'd have loved to have seen it, and the big cathedral if it had ever been built, though they'd probably still be on the ground floor by now!

I've gone then and now mental the last few days since I last posted on this thread - 50-odd from around town, Norris Green, Huyton, Dingle, Bootle and Waterloo chucked on since then. Here's a timetram bombing up the East Lancs Road earlier today.

East Lancs Road, Norris Green, 1957 in 2013 by Keithjones84, on Flickr

Here, as ever

Online Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1750 on: April 14, 2013, 08:55:04 am »
That's a cracker that Keith - looks so natural

Offline Mel Wood

• Main Stander
« Reply #1751 on: April 15, 2013, 01:15:57 pm »
Thanks Tsar! There's probably much much easier ways to do it (my way's a ridiculous one, probably about 150 pieces cut out, resized, jigsawed together then painted over!) so very glad if it doesn't look that daftly done. Cheers!

Online Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1752 on: April 18, 2013, 10:10:41 am »
Not likely you'll see too many shots of this....taken from:http://www.facebook.com/OldPhotographsofLiverpool?sk=photos

Online Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1753 on: April 18, 2013, 11:36:56 am »
The opposite view, from Church St. in 1952.  Can't be too many years apart.

Offline Mel Wood

• Main Stander
« Reply #1754 on: April 19, 2013, 09:05:01 pm »
About 70-odd added since I last posted, if anyone fancies a look

This one's from today

Punch and Judy in Williamson Square, 1970s in 2013

Williamson Square, 1970s in 2013 by Keithjones84, on Flickr

And this one's from Wednesday, and I'm chuffed that it's featuring in tomorrow's Echo!

George Stephenson vs Richard Branson, 1890 in 2013

Lime Street Station, 1890 in 2013 by Keithjones84, on Flickr

All in the usual places

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1755 on: April 20, 2013, 06:10:24 pm »
And this one's from Wednesday, and I'm chuffed that it's featuring in tomorrow's Echo!

Congrats mate!

Superb as ever, keep up the good work

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #1756 on: April 21, 2013, 12:11:17 pm »
Not sure if this collection has been posted up....Liverpool History Society.

Some good ones such as this that I clearly remember getting built (had a school class mate who lived in those flats in the background)....

And two of the Three Ugly Sisters at Clarence Dock power station smoking in the background here...

I'll also give a bump to the excellent inacity again for anyone who's come in later to this thread and missed it ... http://inacityliving.piczo.com/
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 12:13:40 pm by The Gulleysucker »

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1757 on: April 24, 2013, 08:32:14 pm »
Great pic that gulley mate.

Online Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1758 on: April 24, 2013, 11:19:54 pm »
I 'specially like the 2nd one there Gulley - anything to do with the river.

Is that some kind of warship toward the end of that queue?

Online Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1759 on: April 24, 2013, 11:22:45 pm »
Just finished watching this vid of the trams, pretty sure it's not been put up before.  There's a few minutes of the Overhead Railway @ 22 minutes.

There's also some interesting night shots around town

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_pEW7DKK3Eo#!