Author Topic: The Cult of Scientology  (Read 37507 times)

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
Re: The Cult of Scientology
« Reply #160 on: February 2, 2012, 02:53:39 pm »
Welcome to our visitors from Hemet. Can I recommend the Transfer Forum as a source of gullible earnest recruits.

Offline DanFromMars

• Stays up all night playing cards. Henri Winterman cigars
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #161 on: February 2, 2012, 05:03:36 pm »
I genuinely thought for ages this was a comedic organization, based off some mockumentry film with Tom Cruise and John Trovolta looking at the silliness of cults.
Indie Retro Gaming News Site
http://www.indieretronews.com/

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #162 on: February 2, 2012, 08:37:38 pm »
I genuinely thought for ages this was a comedic organization, based off some mockumentry film with Tom Cruise and John Trovolta looking at the silliness of cults.

I saw Man on the Moon last night. Much of Scientology does indeed seem like an elaborate Andy Kaufman joke.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #163 on: February 2, 2012, 10:00:42 pm »
I remember watching John Sweeney's BBC documentary on Scientology a few years back. I think it aired around 2006 or 2007. It was compelling viewing. Compelling in the sense that I just couldn't believe what I was actually seeing. Their behavioral traits like following him everywhere, harassing him, smearing him, which eventually led to Sweeney blowing his fuse, it was all just so bizarre.

The crazy thing is though, that since the airing of the original documentary a few years back, one if its leading members has since left the church. He actually did another documentary with Sweeney a couple of years back where he openly admitted that he helped to orchestrate the intimidation campaign launched at Sweeney by the church. The bloke has since lost all communication with his family having defected from the church and exposing much of its hidden (supposedly hidden, we all know what they're like really) deviousness

Yet, despite numerous people defecting from the church (people who were quiet high ranking no less) and despite their repeated testimonies warning about the dangers of becoming involved in the church including exposing some of the heinous acts carried out by the church, amazingly some people still sign up and hand over hundreds, if not thousands, if not hundred of thousands of their money. Surely, someday soon, Scientology has got to be stopped. Put simply, they're a gang of c*nts       
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline DanFromMars

• Stays up all night playing cards. Henri Winterman cigars
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #164 on: February 2, 2012, 10:54:14 pm »
Has Louis Theroux done a documentary on this lot yet?
Indie Retro Gaming News Site
http://www.indieretronews.com/

Offline skooma

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Our change into rain is no change at all.
« Reply #165 on: September 3, 2012, 12:41:16 am »
I drive by a Dianetics center on the way to work and school everyday.

And everyday I wish there was a military truck parked outside with people in black hoods being put on it. Fucking gullible fools.

Offline Cochise

• Not the man he used to be and is looking for a fresh start. Still cannot escape the fact that he's had an X-Factor Winner. Twice.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #166 on: September 3, 2012, 07:02:53 pm »
Don't think I've ever met one before. Or seen them out on the streets try to sign you up or whatever they do.
JFT96 - YNWA

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #167 on: September 3, 2012, 07:12:47 pm »
Just came across this and thought I should share it.

Deleted. I agree that Scientology is evil and some of that stuff in there is well documented but YouTube videos with Requiem for a Dream theme are not good evidence. The lad with schizophrenia might have killed his mother anyway for example.

Let's keep it to facts - there are more than enough to show just what a bunch of c*nts they are.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #168 on: September 4, 2012, 09:54:50 am »
I remember watching John Sweeney's BBC documentary on Scientology a few years back. I think it aired around 2006 or 2007. It was compelling viewing. Compelling in the sense that I just couldn't believe what I was actually seeing. Their behavioral traits like following him everywhere, harassing him, smearing him, which eventually led to Sweeney blowing his fuse, it was all just so bizarre.

The crazy thing is though, that since the airing of the original documentary a few years back, one if its leading members has since left the church. He actually did another documentary with Sweeney a couple of years back where he openly admitted that he helped to orchestrate the intimidation campaign launched at Sweeney by the church. The bloke has since lost all communication with his family having defected from the church and exposing much of its hidden (supposedly hidden, we all know what they're like really) deviousness

Yet, despite numerous people defecting from the church (people who were quiet high ranking no less) and despite their repeated testimonies warning about the dangers of becoming involved in the church including exposing some of the heinous acts carried out by the church, amazingly some people still sign up and hand over hundreds, if not thousands, if not hundred of thousands of their money. Surely, someday soon, Scientology has got to be stopped. Put simply, they're a gang of c*nts       

I remember watching both those programs. Weird c*nts. And that leader who John Sweeney blew his fuse at in the first programme was a right obnoxious 'Tom Cruise wannabe' looking twat.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #169 on: September 4, 2012, 12:50:56 pm »
I remember watching both those programs. Weird c*nts. And that leader who John Sweeney blew his fuse at in the first programme was a right obnoxious 'Tom Cruise wannabe' looking twat.
Apparently they did ridiculously in-depth research into what 'triggers' Sweeney would have to make him blow a fuse so they could then defame him as such. I remember that, pure rage from the presenter. And what a twat that guy was, name was 'Tommy' if I remember correctly.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Fredo C

• Anny Roader
« Reply #170 on: September 4, 2012, 12:58:07 pm »
Apparently they did ridiculously in-depth research into what 'triggers' Sweeney would have to make him blow a fuse so they could then defame him as such. I remember that, pure rage from the presenter. And what a twat that guy was, name was 'Tommy' if I remember correctly.

Tommy Davis his name was.

Here's the Panorama episode from 2010, makes compelling viewing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l42UrHDx4lE&feature=related

As said before, sometimes you just can't believe what you see.

Offline Alphaville

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lucas Lover
« Reply #171 on: September 5, 2012, 12:05:34 am »
A very long read, but this article in the New Yorker describing Paul Haggis' defection from the "chruch" serves as a pretty good overview of the organisation and touches on some of the same themes as the Panorama episodes: http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/02/14/110214fa_fact_wright?currentPage=all
Check out my friend's band Fevers and their new EP (free to download): http://fevers.bandcamp.com/

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: June 17, 2013, 09:40:17 pm »
Anyone watching the documentary on channel4? Fucking nutters these lot are. Scary how big this is.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: June 17, 2013, 09:58:40 pm »
Anyone watching the documentary on channel4? Fucking nutters these lot are. Scary how big this is.

Me. I just think anything where you've got to pay for the "answer" has the real answer to what they're giving you written all over it.

Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: June 17, 2013, 10:01:33 pm »

Yeah, absolutely insane.

Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #175 on: June 17, 2013, 10:25:46 pm »
Just read John Sweeney's 'The Church of Fear'. Hugely recommended.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: June 17, 2013, 11:05:38 pm »

Watching it now. Hard to feel sympathy with Marty - he was part of it and still hangs on to the LRH nonsense.

Scientology is a despicable shitty organisation.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #177 on: June 18, 2013, 12:35:48 am »
Me. I just think anything where you've got to pay for the "answer" has the real answer to what they're giving you written all over it.

Most churches involve paying of some sort, and that's even before the ultimate con of having promised you an afterlife.

Offline tbonejones

• Dr. Doolittle
  • Legacy Fan
  • We'll be coming down the road...
« Reply #178 on: June 18, 2013, 01:13:36 am »
Watched it... Didn't know much at all about the 'religion' before this. Seem like an absolute bunch of maniacs. I love how you don't get to know anything until Phase Three and then when you've paid all that money you get a story about aliens and volcanoes.

And the way in which people are persecuted for speaking out against the religion - I mean, if there's anything to give away that it's a load of rubbish, it's the way that they have to do all these things to people to make them stop speaking out.

Brainwashing on a ridiculous scale.
Journo: ''So, let me get this right, train, coach, train, plane.''
Rafa: ''No, coach first because we will not be walking to the train station.''

Don't Buy The Sun - www.dontbuythesun.co.uk

It was poodle. She was rocking a fucking poodle to sleep.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #179 on: June 18, 2013, 01:28:27 am »
And the way in which people are persecuted for speaking out against the religion - I mean, if there's anything to give away that it's a load of rubbish, it's the way that they have to do all these things to people to make them stop speaking out.

The penalty for leaving Islam is death.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #180 on: June 18, 2013, 02:04:10 pm »
They seem like a great bunch where can I sign up?
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: June 18, 2013, 02:49:36 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/0FrQG1aDIIs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/0FrQG1aDIIs</a>
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline SpartanTree. No deccies or lights.

• Legacy Fan
  • This is ANFIELD !!!
« Reply #182 on: June 19, 2013, 05:20:46 pm »
Watched it... Didn't know much at all about the 'religion' before this. Seem like an absolute bunch of maniacs. I love how you don't get to know anything until Phase Three and then when you've paid all that money you get a story about aliens and volcanoes.

Brainwashing on a ridiculous scale.

Watched this the other night & there was a woman ranting & calling Marty "squirrel" (the bit where the sprinklers were turned on them) - she seemed a bit insane.  No doubt a result of the mental re-programming which was all a bit disturbing.

Weirdo Tom Cruise receiving his medal was laughable and his speech simply cringeworthy.

Hard to believe anyone would fall for their rubbish but I guess there's one born every minute...
'Siempre es posible' - my eyes have seen the glory...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9OHC7lIfvk4

Physical death I do not fear, death of conscience is a sure death.

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #183 on: June 20, 2013, 07:00:37 am »
Is anyone on this forum a Scientologist?

I'm not, but I did mistakenly rent Battlefield Earth years ago, thinking it was a Battlestar Galactica spin off. Christ, that was a fun couple of hours.....
We are Liverpool!

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: June 20, 2013, 08:09:04 am »
I'm not, but I did mistakenly rent Battlefield Earth years ago, thinking it was a Battlestar Galactica spin off. Christ, that was a fun couple of hours.....

Travolta you could forgive because he's made plenty of shite movies. But Forest Whittaker and Barry Pepper? Unforgivable.
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #185 on: June 20, 2013, 04:35:35 pm »
Travolta you could forgive because he's made plenty of shite movies. But Forest Whittaker and Barry Pepper? Unforgivable.
Not as unforgivable as the entire movie being shot at an angle. Like trying to watch something from around a corner.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #186 on: June 20, 2013, 06:10:32 pm »
Is it really that bad?  Plus I've read a few reviews of After Earth that basically says it's a Scientology-based film.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: June 20, 2013, 06:11:26 pm »
Is it really that bad?  Plus I've read a few reviews of After Earth that basically says it's a Scientology-based film.

Yes it is. Have you watched it? It's abysmal.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: June 20, 2013, 06:12:52 pm »
Is anyone on this forum a Scientologist?

With 30,000 members it's highly likely. I doubt if anyone would admit to it though.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: June 20, 2013, 06:14:53 pm »
Fuck no, I'd rather be sat in the middle of Cruise and Travolta in a marathon "Look Who's Talking Now" and "Far and Away" session asking me what I thought while thrusting e-meters in my face while Miscavige sits taking notes from behind.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #190 on: June 20, 2013, 06:21:00 pm »
They worship the scantily clad warrior princess and have Cruise, Travolta and Smith in their club. What's not to like...?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: June 20, 2013, 06:26:28 pm »
They worship the scantily clad warrior princess and have Cruise, Travolta and Smith in their club. What's not to like...?

:D
My Twitter

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #192 on: June 20, 2013, 06:29:24 pm »
It is fascinating. I mean it's clearly fucking nuts, but it's fascinating all the same.

The stories of most religions are pretty barking though. I don't think you can really mock Scientology if you believe the bible for example.

Oh and their salesmen are crap. I wondered about outside their church in New York for a good ten minutes hoping for a whacky conversation and not one of the nutcases even showed their face. It's almost like they sensed the negative thetans on me.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: June 20, 2013, 06:37:09 pm »

Is it abysmal for being a scientology-based film or is it abysmal just in its own right? The former I think I could handle, I've watched bible stories as movies before after all and some aren't too bad if you suspend belief for a while...
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: June 20, 2013, 06:38:07 pm »
Is it abysmal for being a scientology-based film or is it abysmal just in its own right? The former I think I could handle, I've watched bible stories as movies before after all and some aren't too bad if you suspend belief for a while...

It's just abysmal.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: June 20, 2013, 06:45:25 pm »
It is fascinating. I mean it's clearly fucking nuts, but it's fascinating all the same.

The stories of most religions are pretty barking though. I don't think you can really mock Scientology if you believe the bible for example.

I don't believe either. You can and should mock Scientology because the Bible (as with many ancient religious texts) was an interpretation and explanation of the world by people in a largely pre-scientific world. Scientology was created by a crap science fiction writer as a money making exercise. Personally I don't believe Hubbard believed any of the shite he wrote either. He must have gone to bed every night counting his money and pissing himself laughing that there were people dumb enough to believe it.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Not Bob

• RAWK Factor Winner 2012 - it's a rap, folks!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: June 20, 2013, 08:16:20 pm »
I don't believe either. You can and should mock Scientology because the Bible (as with many ancient religious texts) was an interpretation and explanation of the world by people in a largely pre-scientific world. Scientology was created by a crap science fiction writer as a money making exercise. Personally I don't believe Hubbard believed any of the shite he wrote either. He must have gone to bed every night counting his money and pissing himself laughing that there were people dumb enough to believe it.

“If you want to make a little money, write a book. If you want to make a lot of money, create a religion.”

And since the other scam, Mormonism was taken, he started Scientology.

Offline The 1989 Brit Awards

• He may be of thome aththithtanthe if there ith a thudden kwaithith!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: June 22, 2013, 03:03:08 am »
I remember some clueless Hollywood actors sent a "letter" to the German goverment denouncing Scientology's treatment in Germany, even comparing it with Jews in the 30's.

As far as I know, Germany told them to go **** themselves (and damn right!).

Those are some twisted fellas, scientologists, and at the end of it, money is behind it all.

Offline StrikingMidfield

• Legacy Fan
  • A red and green heart
« Reply #198 on: June 22, 2013, 06:14:28 am »
Can you blame the guy for starting it? Mormonism was bought hook, line and sinker, so why would he think Scientology wouldn't work out?
Liverpool FC - Seattle Sounders FC

Online Working Class Hen-Pecked Hero

• Is something to be...Lives at 999 Letsby Avenue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: June 22, 2013, 03:02:18 pm »
Does shock me though how people have taken it on. I mean the concepts as fucking daft as an email from a Nigerian prince. I don't understand how a science fiction WRITER can get away with creating a religion, a religion that you only get to know the secrets of if you give away you're money. Don't get me wrong its as daft as a zombie coming back to life and turning water to wine etc, but that was due to people not understanding most things and was a cop out to be fair. Nowadays I think if you're gullible enough to believe this shit then you deserve to be fucking bled dry of you're time money and life
I'm telling you, Bowie died and it's all gone to fuck.