Author Topic: 96 rows in the new kop  (Read 21589 times)

Offline sharkhello

• Anny Roader
96 rows in the new kop
« on: July 21, 2008, 09:20:35 pm »
My old man tonight wrangled himself an invite to an engineering presentation tonight from the engineers who are behind the new stadium -

he can confirm

96 rows in the new kop for obvious reasons

work to start in September - guaranteed

320 million pound building price

Someone asked the name of the stadium, this could not be confirmed

It will be built as four separate buildings, corners will not be filled in

He wasn't convinced by the way questions were answered, he was going to ask if the flag pole was going to be transferred over but he knew they wouldn't know what that was

The party consisted of americans, canadians and greeks

The company is Ramboll Whitbybird

Offline 81a

• From Speke to Bootle via Broad Green. All aboard!
  • Legacy Fan
Re: 96 rows in the new kop
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 10:39:50 pm »

He wasn't convinced by the way questions were answered, he was going to ask if the flag pole was going to be transferred over but he knew they wouldn't know what that was

If the company building the stadium doesn't know what a flagpole is we're knackered.

Thanks for the update - That gives them 10 weeks at most to get started. Let's see what happens.

Online HarryLabrador

• went broke, so had to get the retrievers in.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 10:50:02 pm »
This is what I have unearthered. Make of that what you will.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

project

Anfield new stadium

Stanley Park, Liverpool

client — Ryder HKS for Liverpool Football Club
architects — Ryder HKS
completion — 2011
value — £250m construction — concrete frame, precast, steel frame

A new home for Liverpool FC is planned at Anfield, on a site immediately adjacent to the existing stadium. The owners aspire to an instantly recognizable landmark building that will serve club's 21st century needs while referencing its potent history.
Our early involvement is helping to inform the architect's designs, particularly for a striking roof structure with clear spans of up to 160m. The lightweight roof, rectangular in plan, is supported solely by four raked columns, one at each corner. At the away end of the pitch, these columns are of precast concrete — effectively, concrete buttresses. At the home end, the columns are composed of curved, segmented steel tubes, bunched at ground and roof level, so that the widest part of each column is half way between top and bottom. This efficient design delivers maximum strength where it is required without necessitating the use of a monumental form.
Between the two steel columns are the terraces for the club's home fans, a part of Anfield traditionally known as the 'Kop', or hill. A curved canopy is envisaged to magnify the sound of the Kop in full voice.

http://www.rambollwhitbybird.com/projects/project.asp?id=603
------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------
HKS to be reselected for Liverpool stadium

Published: 25 January 2008 11:31
Author: Richard Vaughan More by this Author Last Updated: 25 January 2008 12:39 Reader Responses   

Liverpool Football Club is again expected to announce HKS as architect for its new 70,000-seat stadium.
The Texas-based practice unveiled its original plans last summer amid huge fanfare, but they were later scrapped after costs came in at £50 million more than expected.

Liverpool's new owners ordered HKS to rethink the designs, and asked former club architect AFL to submit its own rival proposals.

However, according to the Liverpool Daily Post, sources close to owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett believe that HKS will land the lucrative project.

A source told the paper: 'HKS have been chosen as the architect. The stadium is still the same sort of size.

'The details remain pretty much the same, but they have found a more cost-effective way of doing it.'

The news follows an ongoing debacle at Liverpool FC, where the American owners have fallen foul of the Anfield faithful after lying about placing debt on the club, and admitting they had spoken to a replacement for the popular club manager Rafael Benitez.

It is hoped the announcement of the new stadium plans will appease fans, as Hicks and Gillett begin a charm offensive to win back support.

The club's tycoon owners are also expected to announce the successful bid to refinance a loan taken out last year when they bought the club.

It is believed the Royal Bank of Scotland and US investment bank Wachovia have given the green light to a £350 million loan, £60 million of which will go towards the first instalment of the stadium project.

The UK branch of HKS, Ryder HKS, was unavailable for comment.
 http://www.architectsjournal.co.uk/news/dailynews/2008/01/hks_expected_to_be_reselected_for_liverpool_stadium.html
SoS Membership Number: 387

Offline sharkhello

• Anny Roader
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 11:14:23 pm »
If the company building the stadium doesn't know what a flagpole is we're knackered.

Thanks for the update - That gives them 10 weeks at most to get started. Let's see what happens.

Ramboll Whitbybird are the engineers

HKS are the architects

I don't know who the builders will be, but the engineers discuss how the building will work, how it can be maintained - the person my dad tagged onto tonight (not a liverpool fan) was obsesed in asking questions on wear and tear and how easily things could be replaced / upgraded

they also cover fire control and crowd safety, one thing my old man did say is when they said Hillsborough sent a shiver down in, their accents made it sound wrong

« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 11:25:41 pm by sharkhello »

Online HarryLabrador

• went broke, so had to get the retrievers in.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 11:17:12 pm »
Ramboll Whitbybird are the engineers

HKS are the architects

I don't know who the builders will be

BOB  ;D
SoS Membership Number: 387

Offline redknight

• Kemlynite
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 11:55:08 pm »
its shite we deserve better, this is to be our new home and we're being fobbed off with a revised design thats not one bit intimadating, and the kop with that huge gash goin across it well they just gone fucked up tradition there.
"A woman drove me to drink and I never even had the decency to thank her"

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I miss you Digger, even more than Peter Thommo
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 12:01:55 am »
its shite we deserve better, this is to be our new home and we're being fobbed off with a revised design thats not one bit intimadating, and the kop with that huge gash goin across it well they just gone fucked up tradition there.

Agree about the gash, it needs to be gotten rid of now.

Offline redknight

• Kemlynite
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 12:05:04 am »
and ya think they will get rid of it,? nah rumour is its excutive boxes,,they don't give a monkies about tradition,

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 03:16:42 am »
and ya think they will get rid of it,? nah rumour is its excutive boxes,,they don't give a monkies about tradition,

But they did include a huge single tier kop in the design,which is more than previous  ( no kop at all ) parrybowl had that we would have had before the yanks threw it out.

As for ' the gash' it's for disabled fans, and why don't they deserve a decent spec for a change, who knows maybe disabled fans can even create some kind of atmosphere as well !

We've been told this walk way ( disabled viewing platform ) is a legal necessity anyway,what makes me laugh is the way some people feel it wreck the kop and fuck up the atmosphere, what atmosphere is this ?

Ah yes, the one we only normally create on big C/L games, don't blame our owners for ' fucking up our tradition', we need to look a bit closer to home for that.
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 10:25:46 am »

ffs this has been gone through loads of times. It's disabled seating.
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline Istanbul Therapy Group

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll hear our famous noise
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 10:50:55 am »
Builders are Laing O'rourke
He never shows mercy, he would put 6 past your sons school team.

Offline redannie

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 04:01:28 pm »
But they did include a huge single tier kop in the design,which is more than previous  ( no kop at all ) parrybowl had that we would have had before the yanks threw it out.

As for ' the gash' it's for disabled fans, and why don't they deserve a decent spec for a change, who knows maybe disabled fans can even create some kind of atmosphere as well !

We've been told this walk way ( disabled viewing platform ) is a legal necessity anyway,what makes me laugh is the way some people feel it wreck the kop and fuck up the atmosphere, what atmosphere is this ?

Ah yes, the one we only normally create on big C/L games, don't blame our owners for ' fucking up our tradition', we need to look a bit closer to home for that.

Well said

Offline Franck Le Poof

• Blonde transvestite who is utterly haunted by the idea of sitting in other mens piss. Has ticked the box for no publicity ;)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008, 04:31:31 pm »

Fantastic post that is
Whenever I meet a French girl I kiss her on both cheeks. Then I stand up and say hello

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2008, 10:13:28 pm »

Bollocks, they promised a single tier kop, there is no legal necessity for every stand to have this. There is plenty of room elsewhere for the disabled to enjoy the view. Whats gonna happen when the banners are being waved in front of our disabled fans when we do create a great atmosphere on an ECL night and they cannot see a thing. Disabled platform in the Main stand or the opposite below the corporate boxes. They deserve some luxury and we deserve a single tier Kop as promised.

Offline ttnbd

• RAWK Chief Financial Officer
  • Legacy Fan
  • ANFIELD4EVER
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2008, 11:27:49 pm »
Bollocks, they promised a single tier kop, there is no legal necessity for every stand to have this. There is plenty of room elsewhere for the disabled to enjoy the view. Whats gonna happen when the banners are being waved in front of our disabled fans when we do create a great atmosphere on an ECL night and they cannot see a thing. Disabled platform in the Main stand or the opposite below the corporate boxes. They deserve some luxury and we deserve a single tier Kop as promised.

So you are saying no disabled fans are allowed to be a part of the kop?  The law dictates that you cannot discriminate against those with disabilities.  The law doesn't care about traditions.
So all say thanks to the Shanks

He never walked alone

Lets sing our song for all the world

From this his Liverpool home

Offline kopite-jft96

• No new LFC topics
  • Main Stander
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2008, 12:32:17 am »
So you are saying no disabled fans are allowed to be a part of the kop?  The law dictates that you cannot discriminate against those with disabilities.  The law doesn't care about traditions.

its right. you cant discriminate against those with disabilities. what liverpool fan would not want to sit on the kop

Offline redknight

• Kemlynite
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2008, 03:19:20 pm »

well said mate, some people are so gullable

Offline redknight

• Kemlynite
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2008, 03:24:46 pm »
our disabled fans have a right to be part of the kop as much as anyone, they have always been right at the front for obvious reasons and the best possible view, if they are stuck halfway up their and with the rest of the fans standing and waving flags and banners then their view is gonna be badly restricted, very bad idea putting the platform there for them if thats what it is. fill it in with seats and put our disaabled fans where they deserve to be, right at the front of the kop with no blind spots to hinder their view.

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2008, 03:37:24 pm »
put our disaabled fans where they deserve to be, right at the front of the kop with no blind spots to hinder their view.

Just all the staircases or lifts they need to get down there...
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline redknight

• Kemlynite
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2008, 03:43:05 pm »
Just all the staircases or lifts they need to get down there...

well disabled lifts would be a nice gesture, and worth it don't ya think,?

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2008, 03:45:36 pm »
well disabled lifts would be a nice gesture, and worth it don't ya think,?

And what do we do if there's a fire in the Kop and all our disabled fans burn because the lifts can't be used?

Do you not think having the disabled fans at ground level is probably a better idea than having them however many feet 'underground' where they can't escape from a fire?
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline redknight

• Kemlynite
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2008, 03:58:28 pm »
And what do we do if there's a fire in the Kop and all our disabled fans burn because the lifts can't be used?

Do you not think having the disabled fans at ground level is probably a better idea than having them however many feet 'underground' where they can't escape from a fire?

god forbid, well if this gash is at ground level then so be it.  still think think the disabled fans would be better off in another stand in that case, think their view could be badly hindered.

Offline Football CRAZY

• Thick Prick
  • Legacy Fan
  • simply too intelligent, sorry.
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2008, 04:04:30 pm »
redknight: living proof the summer holidays have begun!

Offline redknight

• Kemlynite
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2008, 04:06:37 pm »
redknight: living proof the summer holidays have begun!

your point ? just because i have an opinion, if you don't like it then thats tough
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 04:15:42 pm by redknight »

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2008, 09:28:07 pm »

No I'm not saying that disabled fans should not be allowed in the Kop. I'm saying that the "Gash" is not the way to do it. Surely there must be a better way.  And for those who say it doesn't matter how it looks of course it does. don't forget that once this design is built it will be with us the rest of our lives so let's get it right first time. And Tim, are you saying that if every stand in every new ground does not have a platform for disabled fans then that is discriminating against them? Surely that can't be right can it?

Offline ttnbd

• Legacy Fan
  • ANFIELD4EVER
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2008, 09:38:37 pm »
No I'm not saying that disabled fans should not be allowed in the Kop. I'm saying that the "Gash" is not the way to do it. Surely there must be a better way.  And for those who say it doesn't matter how it looks of course it does. don't forget that once this design is built it will be with us the rest of our lives so let's get it right first time. And Tim, are you saying that if every stand in every new ground does not have a platform for disabled fans then that is discriminating against them? Surely that can't be right can it?

It would be different from ground to ground, even from stand to stand.  Disabled areas need to be situated at a point where the occupants can be easily, safely and quickly evacuated from the ground in times of emergency.  Doing that from above or below ground level isn't possible, unless it is only a small amount and can be accessed from a shallow and short ramp.  Because the Kop in the new stadium is going to be sunk into the ground by atleast 8 feet the disabled area needs to be further up the stand than normal.

He never walked alone

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2008, 09:47:13 pm »
It would be different from ground to ground, even from stand to stand.  Disabled areas need to be situated at a point where the occupants can be easily, safely and quickly evacuated from the ground in times of emergency.  Doing that from above or below ground level isn't possible, unless it is only a small amount and can be accessed from a shallow and short ramp.  Because the Kop in the new stadium is going to be sunk into the ground by atleast 8 feet the disabled area needs to be further up the stand than normal.

Ok Tim but 2 points,
1. That platform is much much more than 8 feet above the pitch level, it's about a third of the way up the stand, looks approx 15-20 yards up.
2. The question I meant to ask was "does there have to be disabled access in every stand when a new stadium is built or does there have to be disabled access in every new stadium but not necessarily in every stand in that stadium.

Offline ttnbd

• Legacy Fan
  • ANFIELD4EVER
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2008, 09:55:22 pm »
Ok Tim but 2 points,
1. That platform is much much more than 8 feet above the pitch level, it's about a third of the way up the stand, looks approx 15-20 yards up.
2. The question I meant to ask was "does there have to be disabled access in every stand when a new stadium is built or does there have to be disabled access in every new stadium but not necessarily in every stand in that stadium.

Point 1.  I was using an approx figure.  I can't remember exactly what it is but one of the old HKS images shows where the outside ground level is compared to the inside of the stadium.  It's approx 38 rows back that the outside ground level is.  If the stadium was the other way (so the Kop was on Priory Road as opposed to anfield road, then the disabled section could be lower down.

Point 2.  I don't think there is anything specific, just that you cannot discriminate against those with disabilities.  In order for them not to provide an area there would have to be a compelling argument, and tradition is not an argument that would win.

He never walked alone

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2008, 10:18:08 pm »
Fair enough Tim, but I still think that by providing areas in the other stands then that would be enough to satisfy the legal requirements for the stadium. Cheers anyway.

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2008, 11:03:00 pm »

Regardless of what the Americans have done to the club in terms of jeopordising our financial security, the new stadium design is excellent.

Looking at all the other grounds in the premiership, this is going to be by far the best. Once it is full, it will be tremendous.
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline anon-y-mouse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2008, 01:00:34 am »
Regardless of what the Americans have done to the club in terms of jeopordising our financial security, the new stadium design is excellent.

Looking at all the other grounds in the Premier League, this is going to be by far the best. Once it is full, it will be tremendous.

And all paid for (assuming it ever gets built of course) at an extortionate rate of interest because c*nt and bigger c*nt have no money and are using the Weetabix model. Who pays, who do you think!

Offline danwms

• Legacy Fan
  • Walking through the storm.
    • Last FM
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2008, 02:56:09 am »
One thing to point out on the Ramboll Whitbybird website the title of the project is Anfield new stadium.

At least there is still a reference to anfield at this point, wonder when that will change?

Offline NickoH

• Has to fart in private to avoid offending the posh guys and gals in the Marketing Dept
  • Legacy Fan
  • Speak softly love so no one hears us but the sky
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2008, 10:03:07 am »
Between the two steel columns are the terraces for the club's home fans, a part of Anfield traditionally known as the 'Kop', or hill.

When has it been known as 'hill' ?
I clutch the wire fence until my fingers bleed,
A wound that will not heal, a heart that cannot feel.
Hoping that the horror will recede,
Hoping that tomorrow we'll all be freed.........JUSTICE.

Offline Mr Mojo Risin'

• No longer counts double
  • Legacy Fan
  • i've been down so god damn long
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2008, 10:30:07 am »

the actual spion kop was known as the hill.
DON'T BUY THE  SUN.

Offline Antony

• Stupid, thick cup of soupio
  • Legacy Fan
  • Barack Obam-la is Scouse Society
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2008, 10:35:35 am »

Looking at all the other grounds in the Premier League, this is going to be by far the best. Once it is full, it will be tremendous.

I would agree with you if we weren't getting the Rola Cola version of Diet Coke
Aye lad, whens the remix coming out?

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2008, 10:37:13 am »

I assume they're confusing themselves with the actual Spion Kop being a hill?

Offline ttnbd

• Legacy Fan
  • ANFIELD4EVER
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2008, 10:40:19 am »
I would agree with you if we weren't getting the Rola Cola version of Diet Coke

huh?  Are you saying this stadium is just a poor imitation of a rival stadium?

He never walked alone

Offline Antony

• Stupid, thick cup of soupio
  • Legacy Fan
  • Barack Obam-la is Scouse Society
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2008, 10:43:43 am »
huh?  Are you saying this stadium is just a poor imitation of a rival stadium?

Well there was the first design Hicks and Co brought out in a massive tornado of hype. Which was out of this world, then a few months down the line they realise they can't afford the sodding thing, so they dumb down the design and cut corners, and now we are left with what we have now.
Aye lad, whens the remix coming out?

Offline ttnbd

• Legacy Fan
  • ANFIELD4EVER
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2008, 10:50:35 am »
Well there was the first design Hicks and Co brought out in a massive tornado of hype. Which was out of this world, then a few months down the line they realise they can't afford the sodding thing, so they dumb down the design and cut corners, and now we are left with what we have now.

It's the same bloody design with some modifications.  Do you think coca-cola got the recipe right first time for diet coke?

He never walked alone

Offline NickoH

• Has to fart in private to avoid offending the posh guys and gals in the Marketing Dept
  • Legacy Fan
  • Speak softly love so no one hears us but the sky
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2008, 11:04:42 am »
the actual spion kop was known as the hill.
I assume they're confusing themselves with the actual Spion Kop being a hill?

I know that.....I was being a touch sarcastic.

I wonder if the TO would understand if I asked for a couple of tickets on the hill !!
They'd probably put the phone down on me :)
I clutch the wire fence until my fingers bleed,
A wound that will not heal, a heart that cannot feel.
Hoping that the horror will recede,
Hoping that tomorrow we'll all be freed.........JUSTICE.