Author Topic: The XXIXth Summer Olympic Games (Beijing 2008)  (Read 128679 times)

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
The XXIXth Summer Olympic Games (Beijing 2008)
« on: July 1, 2008, 09:18:27 am »
So, with the euros over, and the football season a while away yet, we come to the next major sporting event of the summer...

Beijing 2008 - The Olympic games.

Now, all the politics shite aside, I love the olympics - it's the biggest sporting event in the world, and whatever your age, you will have fabulous memories of the olympics.

For me, Los Angeles 84 was the first major sporting event I really remember watching as a 10 year old, and it really caught my imagination - from flying men with jet packs, to Car Lewis flying on the track and winning 4 golds, to Daley Thompson just being superhuman... I was hooked.

LA, Seoul, Barcelona, Atlanta, Sydney, Athens have all provided me with a lifetime of fantastic memories...

Anyone else looking forward to the games as much as me? :wave
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 08:56:23 am by nidgemo »
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline pantbash

• is single and likely to remain that way
  • Kopite
  • A Bacchanalian - Still persecuted since BC
Re: The Olympics...
« Reply #1 on: July 1, 2008, 09:28:24 am »
God no.
Its the most boring 'spectacle' that pollutes our TV screens.
(Mby even worse than the yawn fest that is Wimbeldon.)

If we had a seperate druggie Olympics, then I may get interested.
Leave the bleating do-gooders to run their own drug-free & wallow in their moral superiority.

I on the otherhand want to see D.Chambers snort a line of roids, run the 100m in 8seconds. Then have his eyeballs explode.
That would be entertainment.
Atheism (from Greek, "athos" meaning 'hell', "eios" meaning 'demon' or 'Satan', and "ismos" meaning Liberal, literally "Satan's Liberal Helldemon")

Offline stevie h g

• Kopite
« Reply #2 on: July 1, 2008, 09:49:10 am »
can you honestly believe in the integrity of the Olympics. Too many sports tainted by drugs and the whole thing is a political exercise, as we've already seen with the torch relay. I'm afrraid I won't believe any big performances are a result of talent and training, I know everyone isn't on drugs, but the whole thing has no credibility.

Offline M(oaning) B(ecomes) E(mbarrassing)

• Worthless.
  • RAWK Embarrassment
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thoroughly thought through
« Reply #3 on: July 1, 2008, 09:49:24 am »
The Olympics.  The finest sporting spectacle in the world!  I for one cannot wait. 

Someone recently wrote that whether Britain sends a team or boycotts the games, our medal haul would be largely the same but I totally disagree.  Britain just won the European Athletics cup, our cyclists are easily the best in the world as was proven at the recent World Championships, our rowers are second to none, our triathletes are winning major events around the world and there will always be the odd surprise win thrown in for good measure.  It's going to be a thrilling summer alright!
It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: July 1, 2008, 09:51:01 am »
God no.

???

How the fuck can the olympics be boring - do you only watch the cross country shooting and dressage?

I don't even give a fuck about drugs. Bolt, Powell and Gay have, in the last few weeks alone, become the three fastest men ever, running, between them, the 8 fastest times ever ran (Gay ran a fucking 9.68 the other day!)

The 100m final is always a highlight - the best 10 seconds there is in sport - and this years is going to be spectacular.
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: July 1, 2008, 09:55:35 am »
can you honestly believe in the integrity of the Olympics. Too many sports tainted by drugs and the whole thing is a political exercise, as we've already seen with the torch relay. I'm afrraid I won't believe any big performances are a result of talent and training, I know everyone isn't on drugs, but the whole thing has no credibility.

Yes. Of course. Sure, there are some athletes on drugs, but if one thing has been proven by the olympics (and athletics / swimming etc in general) in the past - it's no matter how big a name - they WILL catch them, they WILL go public, there WILL NOT be a cover up.

If anything, because of this, it's got more integrity than most sports - you KNOW if they're on drugs, they WILL be caught.

As for political - the decision of where to hold it is that - but nothing about the actual sporting event is - there can be no political sway used (as Jesse Owens proved in Berlin in 1938) to effect results, no politician can effect the fastest, the strongest, win...

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #6 on: July 1, 2008, 09:58:20 am »
the olympics hold absolutely no interest for me at all, boring as fuck, and bar any of the football they may show, i probably won't watch it at all

• Worthless.
  • RAWK Embarrassment
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: July 1, 2008, 10:02:05 am »
the olympics hold absolutely no interest for me at all, boring as fuck, and bar any of the football they may show, i probably won't watch it at all

But be sure to come on here and tell us how little interest it has for you won't you?
It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #8 on: July 1, 2008, 10:03:29 am »
am sure i won't. But are the only people who are allowed to post here ones who are gonna whoop whoop the olympics yay! ?

• Worthless.
  • RAWK Embarrassment
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: July 1, 2008, 10:08:38 am »
No, I just find it ironic that someone who says he's not interested in the Olympics is interested enough in a thread about the Olympics to open it, read it and then write to inform us all how much he's not interested in the Olympics.  It will struggle on without your interest but I'm sure it will survive. 

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #10 on: July 1, 2008, 10:12:06 am »
how on earth is it ironic? Are you only allowed to post in a thread to say how great the topic is? I said i find the olympics boring, not sure why i shouldn't be allowed to say that? Whatever tho, enjoy watching people run round an oval

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #11 on: July 1, 2008, 10:13:47 am »
i like the olympics mainly because of its variety of sports....if you are bored with one, just switch channels to another event
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #12 on: July 1, 2008, 10:22:12 am »
I'm a big fan as well. Looking forward to it. I'll be watching Victoria Pendleton especially closely! For the sports where the Olympics is the absolute pinnacle then I think it's great that a previously 'unknown' cyclist/swimmer/rower etc can become front page news.

When does it start by the way?

Offline Degs

• sy's midnight runners.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: July 1, 2008, 10:24:50 am »
Great Britain has lots of up and coming young boxers who will surprise a few people with the amount of medals they win.

As ever though the history of the nation makes for certain medals in:

Boats (rowing sailing)
Boxing
Shooting
Horses

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: July 1, 2008, 10:33:22 am »
God no.
(Mby even worse than the yawn fest that is Wimbeldon.)

Leave the bleating do-gooders to run their own drug-free & wallow in their moral superiority.

I on the otherhand want to see D.Chambers snort a line of roids, run the 100m in 8seconds. Then have his eyeballs explode.
That would be entertainment.

and you think football, tennis, rugby, cricket is clean ::)
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline Kemlyn 28

• Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #15 on: July 1, 2008, 10:34:26 am »
No,what's the point in watching drub addled dickheads

For me, Los Angeles 84 was the first major sporting event I really remember watching as a 10 year old, and it really caught my imagination - from flying men with jet packs, to Car Lewis flying on the track and winning 4 golds, to Daley Thompson just being superhuman... I was hooked.

I wonder what the performance enhancing drug of choice for athletes was in 1984?

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
  • Super Title: Keep off the Grass!
« Reply #16 on: July 1, 2008, 10:46:05 am »
Before rubbishing them you should try actually attending one. I was lucky enough to live in Sydney at the time of the 2000 games and for all the commercial nonsense and the bloating which has taken place it remains the greatest show on earth. Not least because for all the corruption and money which surrounds certain elite athletes there remain thousands of competitors who are there for the love of their sport and the desire to compete.

Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline pantbash

• is single and likely to remain that way
  • Kopite
  • A Bacchanalian - Still persecuted since BC
« Reply #17 on: July 1, 2008, 10:47:58 am »
and you think football, tennis, rugby, cricket is clean ::)

Not at all.

I also want seperate "Incredible Hulk" leagues for all those sports too.

The 100m final is always a highlight - the best 10 seconds there is in sport - and this years is going to be spectacular.

I also disagree with this, running in a straight line. Wooooo, I can't contain my excitement   ::)
(Sarcasm aside, I just don't find it at all interesting. But each to their own eh.)
« Last Edit: July 1, 2008, 10:50:51 am by pantbash »
Atheism (from Greek, "athos" meaning 'hell', "eios" meaning 'demon' or 'Satan', and "ismos" meaning Liberal, literally "Satan's Liberal Helldemon")

Offline Uncle Ronnie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: July 1, 2008, 11:00:48 am »
I wonder what the performance enhancing drug of choice for athletes was in 1984?

"Cold Medicine" for Carl Lewis in '88 - so I imagine it was the same in '84

• Worthless.
  • RAWK Embarrassment
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: July 1, 2008, 11:15:21 am »
Great Britain has lots of up and coming young boxers who will surprise a few people with the amount of medals they win.

As ever though the history of the nation makes for certain medals in:

Boats (rowing sailing)
Boxing
Shooting
Horses

You forgot cycling.  We'll almost certainly be the leading nation in that discipline (again) this time round.  I reckon we'll get a few in the fletics as well. 

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #20 on: July 1, 2008, 11:19:37 am »
You forgot cycling.  We'll almost certainly be the leading nation in that discipline (again) this time round.  I reckon we'll get a few in the fletics as well. 

They have a lot less Cycling events in the Olympics than they do in the World Champs though sadly otherwise we could clean up. For eample there is no 1k timetrial and I think Pendleton is only in the sprint which can be a bit of a lottery.

Who are medal contenders in the athletics? Kelly Sotherton, Nicola Sanders, Christine Ohroghu, Phillips Idowu? Maybe the mens 4x100 and womens 4x400 - anyone else?

• Worthless.
  • RAWK Embarrassment
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: July 1, 2008, 11:19:56 am »
"Cold Medicine" for Carl Lewis in '88 - so I imagine it was the same in '84

And what was it Jaap Staam, Edgar Davids and Pep Guardiola took?  Steroids, wasn't it?  This discovered without the rigorous testing athletes have to endure.  One Belgian athlete was forced to give a blood test on the day he was burying his infant son - no excuses and no refusals or he's banned for 2 or 4 years whereas the footballers got three months!  So please don't go pretending football is in any way clean or you'll be seen as a hypocrite. 
« Last Edit: July 1, 2008, 11:23:05 am by MBE »

• Worthless.
  • RAWK Embarrassment
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: July 1, 2008, 11:24:56 am »
They have a lot less Cycling events in the Olympics than they do in the World Champs though sadly otherwise we could clean up. For eample there is no 1k timetrial and I think Pendleton is only in the sprint which can be a bit of a lottery.

Who are medal contenders in the athletics? Kelly Sotherton, Nicola Sanders, Christine Ohroghu, Phillips Idowu? Maybe the mens 4x100 and womens 4x400 - anyone else?

They have the following cycling events this time round;

On the program of the Games of the XXIX Olympiad, Beijing 2008
Cycling BMX
• Individual Men • individual Women
Cycling Road
• individual road race Men • individual road race Women • individual time trial Men • individual time trial Women

Cycling Track
• Individual Pursuit Men • Sprint indivual Men • Keirin Men • Team Pursuit (4000m) Men • Madison Men • Individual pursuit Women • Olympic Sprint Men • Points race Women • Points Race Men • Sprint Women
Mountain Bike
• cross-country Men • cross-country Women

I'm not as au fait as I once was on the athletes and I know the European Cup isn't the Olympics but the boost many of our T&F people got there must have given them a real lift for Beijing. 

Offline spen71

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: July 1, 2008, 11:37:26 am »
I will be watching, I have done since 1980.  All my family like watching it.

Offline TonyTheRed

• NosedReindeer has a very qwertycock....
  • Legacy Fan
  • I've got a little black book with my poems in
« Reply #24 on: July 1, 2008, 11:53:49 am »
Womens gymnastics...that is all  :lickin

Oh, and the boxing
like one day u will find out im not female :)

Offline Uncle Ronnie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: July 1, 2008, 12:03:45 pm »
And what was it Jaap Staam, Edgar Davids and Pep Guardiola took?  Steroids, wasn't it?  This discovered without the rigorous testing athletes have to endure.  One Belgian athlete was forced to give a blood test on the day he was burying his infant son - no excuses and no refusals or he's banned for 2 or 4 years whereas the footballers got three months!  So please don't go pretending football is in any way clean or you'll be seen as a hypocrite. 

And how long was Carl Lewis banned for??

I never said football was clean, and I'm sure there's more drug cheats in football than have been caught.

But I also believe that there is an even greater number in athletics. The problem for me with the Olympics is that no one knows if these guys are cheating or not. Just because they've not been banned does not make them clean. It's a shame because the Olympics should be the pinnacle of all sports - but now it's just covered in controversy (it being in Beijing also doesn't help)

• Worthless.
  • RAWK Embarrassment
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: July 1, 2008, 01:47:26 pm »
I'm sure there is a reasoned and adult debate to be had on the use of drugs in sport but I doubt it's to be had on this topic which is a shame given some of the forthright views on the subject. 

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: July 1, 2008, 01:49:59 pm »
It WILL be years too late, it WILL mean that every race that that individual has run in for years will be called in to question, it WILL mean that yet more integrity drips away from the sport. It WILL still go on, and we WILL NOT know how many athletes are clean.

Yeah, that's what heppened with Ben Johnson. YEARS later until he was caught.

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #28 on: July 1, 2008, 01:51:29 pm »

Abolish the Olympics and have the World Cup every two years.

And I think we should just decide now who iwill bein charge of posting beach volleyball pictures in this thread.

"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: July 1, 2008, 01:56:29 pm »
can you honestly believe in the integrity of the Olympics. Too many sports tainted by drugs and the whole thing is a political exercise
It WILL be years too late, it WILL mean that every race that that individual has run in for years will be called in to question, it WILL mean that yet more integrity drips away from the sport. It WILL still go on, and we WILL NOT know how many athletes are clean.
No,what's the point in watching drub addled dickheads  I wonder what the performance enhancing drug of choice for athletes was in 1984?
The problem for me with the Olympics is that no one knows if these guys are cheating or not. Just because they've not been banned does not make them clean.

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=223436.0

Enjoy

Offline wickolfc

• Seriously Thick Feedback Tourist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "He's big an he's fuckin' ard"
« Reply #30 on: July 1, 2008, 01:59:07 pm »
Don't like it personally. Bores me.

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: July 1, 2008, 02:06:52 pm »
http://en.beijing2008.cn/cptvenues/schedule/

shame on the time dfference! its gonna hurt a bit during the week

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: July 1, 2008, 02:09:03 pm »
Only watch the track and field. The rest is shit, except for maybe women's gymnastics for some eye candy and hockey.

Almost forgot about beach volleyball. Those brazilians  ;)
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....

Offline arae

• Kopite
« Reply #33 on: July 1, 2008, 02:12:12 pm »
Madison Men

I've never understood the rules but is always pretty interesting viewing...
Singing Munich songs is also disrespectful to those who died at Hillsborough. Is that so difficult to understand?

Offline Blamire

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well, it worked in Sweden.
« Reply #34 on: July 1, 2008, 03:14:41 pm »
Not a big fan myself, its a bit boring.

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: July 1, 2008, 03:38:45 pm »
Come on Sonia!!!

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: July 1, 2008, 03:51:56 pm »
Aye, just like Marion Jones and how they got her medals off her, what, seven years after she won them?

Rapid.

Then she clearly wasn't on drugs at the time, as she, like all winners, would have been tested immediately after winning.

QED.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #37 on: July 1, 2008, 04:11:36 pm »
Who was that Irish swimmer who came from nowhere? Did she ever get busted for drugs?

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: July 1, 2008, 04:20:08 pm »
I actually can't be arsed with them. Last time round a lad who went to our school won a gold medal though- the men's relay; Marlon Devonish. Good to see that, but most of it bores me.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: July 1, 2008, 05:11:03 pm »
Who was that Irish swimmer who came from nowhere? Did she ever get busted for drugs?

She did indeed.

As I say - the cheats are always caught - meaning the sports in the olympics are a whole lot cleaner than any other sport on earth - the testing is vicious for these people - you can cheat to get there, slip in under the radar, but once you are a star, once you win something, you'll get caught.