Author Topic: New blow for LFC stadium as NWDA witholds £9m  (Read 12401 times)

Offline anfield

• Legacy Fan
  • No surprises from me
New blow for LFC stadium as NWDA witholds £9m
« on: July 1, 2008, 09:05:40 am »
New blow for LFC stadium as NWDA witholds £9m
Jul 1 2008 by David Bartlett, Liverpool Daily Post

THE Northwest Development Agency has refused to hand over a £9m grant for Liverpool FC’s new stadium project until the club proves it has got the money for the £350m scheme.

Steve Broomhead, chief executive of the NWDA, spoke to Kop Holdings – the owners of LFC – yesterday over the funding of the stadium.

The agency had previously agreed to provide a £9m grant for the scheme which includes regenerating the park and a community partnership centre.

While Mr Broomhead made clear the money is still available, the agency will not hand it over until “detailed evidence” that funding is in place to complete the project.

The revelation came as it emerged LFC co-owner Tom Hicks had agreed an unrelated $3.2bn (£1.6bn) deal with a plastic container company in the USA.

The Texan is understood to be keen for Liverpool fans to see that he still has the clout to pull off big financial packages, despite the credit crunch.

Last week, the club started preparatory enabling works on its 60,000-capacity stadium on Stanley Park.

The stadium will incorporate a club shop, conference and banqueting facilities, and parking for almost 1,000 vehicles.

Its design is ultimately capable of accommodating up to 73,000 spectators subject to further planning permission.

In January, the club’s owners refinanced the debt they took on when buying the club in 2007 in a £350m deal. It is understood that, included in that deal, was £60m to get work started on the stadium.

The Daily Post also understands that sum would be enough to cover costs of the build until around the end of the current year.

Last night, a club source said: “We are not planning on having the long term funding in place until the end of this year.

“We have sufficient funds currently to take us through the early stages of the project.”

Mr Broomhead said: “The NWDA is engaged in positive, on-going discussions with Liverpool Football Club regarding our investment in the regeneration aspects of the new Anfield development. The NWDA’s grant has always been dependent upon the club demonstrating that funding for the new stadium has been fully secured and we are currently awaiting detailed evidence that this is in place.

“Until this time, the agency will retain its £9m investment towards the project, but we remain optimistic about the outcome and are committed to working closely with Liverpool FC and other partners to bring the development and the regeneration of North Liverpool forward.”Š

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-news/regional-news/2008/07/01/new-blow-for-lfc-stadium-as-nwda-witholds-9m-64375-21205647/

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-news/regional-news/2008/07/01/new-blow-for-lfc-stadium-as-nwda-witholds-9m-64375-21205647/2/
I always believe in our team, always.
Sheikh Mo will own the club very soon.

Offline felix.

• easily impressed Baldrick Mark II
  • Legacy Fan
    • last.fm
Re: New blow for LFC stadium as NWDA witholds £9m
« Reply #1 on: July 1, 2008, 09:07:57 am »
Mr Broomhead? :lmao
MOSES SAID COME FORTH
    BUT WE CAME FIRST

Offline redrockydennis

• Annie Wilkes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • gonna paint me jarg wheelie bin purple
« Reply #2 on: July 1, 2008, 09:07:58 am »
hahaha genius
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes,
of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

Offline Antony

• Stupid, thick cup of soupio
  • Legacy Fan
  • Barack Obam-la is Scouse Society
« Reply #3 on: July 1, 2008, 09:11:59 am »
CONJECTURE AND SPECULATION

Aye lad, whens the remix coming out?

Offline HiroProtagonist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: July 1, 2008, 09:13:05 am »
I seriously thought this was an actual joke thread having read all of that. The Mr. Broomhead just pulled it over the top for me.

Offline anfield

• Legacy Fan
  • No surprises from me
« Reply #5 on: July 1, 2008, 09:13:17 am »
We risk losing another £25m very soon.

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #6 on: July 1, 2008, 09:13:58 am »
£9 million isn't really a lot compared to what we have to raise and do though. As soon as Hicks gets funding confirmed he'll have it - bit of a nonstory to be honest.

Offline Joe Rogans Chin

• Has an uncanny grasp of Aldo's balls
  • Legacy Fan
  • I Don't Know What It Is But I Love It
« Reply #7 on: July 1, 2008, 09:14:20 am »
More biased shit from the post.

Reading between the lines if we can pay for the stadium we get 9 million from the NWDA.

If we can't, we don't.

Simple really, it's not rocket science and it certainly aint a "Blow".

Offline Joe Rogans Chin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: July 1, 2008, 09:16:02 am »
We risk losing another £25m very soon.

how?

Offline anfield

• Legacy Fan
  • No surprises from me
« Reply #9 on: July 1, 2008, 09:16:59 am »

Reading between the lines if we can pay for the stadium we get 9 million from the NWDA.

If we can't, we don't.

Maybe G&H had planned to use that £9m now, then it would be a blow because then they would have to take the money from somewhere else but who knows? It's all speculation but it's a possibility.

Offline anfield

• Legacy Fan
  • No surprises from me
« Reply #10 on: July 1, 2008, 09:17:26 am »
how?

The European money for the stadium project.

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #11 on: July 1, 2008, 09:18:00 am »

Wasnt it also a case of:

If we can pay for the stadium they will put 9m towards regenerating the Anfield area - nothing to do with the stadium itself?

The agency had previously agreed to provide a £9m grant for the scheme which includes regenerating the park and a community partnership centre.
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline Joe Rogans Chin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: July 1, 2008, 09:18:47 am »
Maybe G&H had planned to use that £9m now, then it would be a blow because then they would have to take the money from somewhere else but who knows? It's all speculation but it's a possibility.

It's not, the 9 million is earmarked for redevelopment of the park ans surrounding areas.
It's not for the ground, so its a bullshit story.

Offline Joe Rogans Chin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: July 1, 2008, 09:21:10 am »

As far as I'm aware, but could be wrong, no objective one money has been given to LFC for the stadium.

If any onjective one money (25  million) has been given to Liverpool city council, that will have already been spent or earmarked for spending in the deprived areas of north Liverpool and will not be dependant on whether we build the new stadium or not.

Offline hansen6

• RAWK Scientific Officer, 1687-1905
  • Legacy Fan
  • Must post more
« Reply #14 on: July 1, 2008, 09:21:39 am »
Which European money is this?

Offline M(oaning) B(ecomes) E(mbarrassing)

• Worthless.
  • RAWK Embarrassment
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thoroughly thought through
« Reply #15 on: July 1, 2008, 09:22:48 am »
Can I just ask why the streets surrounding the ground have been bought, boarded up or, in a lot of cases, pulled down?  I've thought from day one that there was never any intention to build a new stadium and have this strong feeling we are going to expand the existing structure.  What was the point in the surrounding areas being bulldozed if it wasn't to expand the current footprint? 
It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.

Offline mjgill85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bees? Beads?
« Reply #16 on: July 1, 2008, 09:24:10 am »

If we can't, we don't.
Yeah, I thought we knew this all along. Not sure why the post considers it 'news'.
@_michaelgill

Offline anfield

• Legacy Fan
  • No surprises from me
« Reply #17 on: July 1, 2008, 09:26:07 am »

The money we got a month or so after G&H bought the club. We had until March or April of 2007 to prove that we got the money to build a stadium to get a fund from EU if I remember things correctly.

That was a part of the reason to why Moores had to sell up at that time. He couldn't prove that and we would have missed out on that money if he hadn't sold up.

Offline blurred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: July 1, 2008, 09:26:13 am »

Objective One funding.

Offline fudge

• RAWK Gaylord
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm a swine, its my nature"
    • Fat man dancing
« Reply #19 on: July 1, 2008, 09:30:12 am »
Personally i wouldn't blame them in the least, regardless of what fuckwitts the NWDA are, the way G&H have behaved offers a far greater chance of a humongous fuck up than any other option
Rubber Dinghy Rapids....

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #20 on: July 1, 2008, 09:34:26 am »
Can I just ask why the streets surrounding the ground have been bought, boarded up or, in a lot of cases, pulled down?  I've thought from day one that there was never any intention to build a new stadium and have this strong feeling we are going to expand the existing structure.  What was the point in the surrounding areas being bulldozed if it wasn't to expand the current footprint? 

That was the initial plan as far as I know, and however they did it a lot of houses were reclaimed and boarded up but some residents refused to move and still do. I don't know why but this is why you see sparse houses in the middle of boarded up streets which drags the area down even more.

A poor piece of management by the local council and the club combined I'm guessing. And then later on it was decided the Anfield infrastructure wasn't big enough to host it anyway by the same council who fucked up the demolition programme and trying to cover their backs.

edit: Here you go:

Residents living in the terraced houses surrounding Anfield have reacted angrily to plans by Liverpool and the local council to ‘regenerate’ the area with the demolition of 1,600 homes and the expansion of the stadium.  The scheme entitled ‘Anfield Plus’ was hatched between the council, the club and local landlords, but without any input from local residents.  After residents groups took the council to task, it withdrew the plan and set about re-assessing the future plans for the area.  Liverpool FC owns a large number of the terraced houses around the ground and a significant number of these lie vacant.  Local people fear that the club are trying to force down house prices in the area, thus forcing them out, and leaving the club free to expand further.  The club have plans to expand Anfield to a 55,000-seat capacity stadium with a £50 million scheme to rebuild the Main and Anfield Road stands.

4. Can we expand at the current location ?

Back in October 1999, it was suggested that we could readily expand the existing ground to 65,000 as part of the Anfield Plus Initiative which encompassed the wholesale regeneration of both the Anfield stadium and the immediate Anfield area.

Given sensible and sensitive negotiations with the local residents and Council, there is NO REASON on god's earth why a resurrection of this scheme cannot be realised for the GOOD of ALL concerned parties. IT MAKES SENSE FOR EVERYBODY SO WHY SHOULDN'T IT BE RE-SURFACED?

Any architect or engineer with imagination would relish the challenge of expanding and developing one of the most famous and historic club stadiums in the world. Of course, it is achievable. Of course, there are ways and means of doing it. Perhaps things could begin with an independent survey of the current site and some detailed clarification on the status of the Anfield Plus Initiative to establish precisely what the alternatives are that are available.

And even if the full Regeneration scheme is not immediately viable, then contrary to some of the viewpoints that have been bandied around, there IS still room to expand at Anfield. Piecemeal expansion it might be but hasn't that always been the case with existing football grounds? An expanded Anfield Road and Main Stand beckon enticingly. And what of the Kop itself? Double tiered with 3000 additional seats as was one of the original proposals considered. Together such imaginative developments could take the capacity towards 60,000.

Over to you Rick Parry.

Source: RAWK (highlighted point 4).
« Last Edit: July 1, 2008, 09:40:02 am by lachesis »

Offline REDcrazy

• Kopite
  • YNWA
« Reply #21 on: July 1, 2008, 09:34:47 am »
CONJECTURE AND SPECULATION

What's the name of this Iraqi spin guy again?

Offline hiphopdj

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: July 1, 2008, 09:41:58 am »
What's the name of this Iraqi spin guy again?

Comical Ali
For those of you watching in blue and white this is what a european cup looks like.

Offline ALECTHERED

• Kopite
  • YNWA
« Reply #23 on: July 1, 2008, 09:55:23 am »
Think its news because its the first real statement from anyone that suggests they are not going to be fooled by the fact that the yanks have "put the spade in the ground"...Just cant see any way these two will see this thing through....at defo not without selling the naming rights...Even then they will have to refinance massive loans and load even more debt on the club..Bad enuf as it is  :butt 
WE are liverpool.YOU are playing for liverpool.do not forget that.You have to hold your heads up for the SUPPORTERS.

Offline Antony

• Stupid, thick cup of soupio
  • Legacy Fan
  • Barack Obam-la is Scouse Society
« Reply #24 on: July 1, 2008, 09:56:51 am »
Can I just ask why the streets surrounding the ground have been bought, boarded up or, in a lot of cases, pulled down? 

2 Words

1 Man

Rick Parry
Aye lad, whens the remix coming out?

Offline Red Alert

• Main Stander
  • A Scouser from Somerset
« Reply #25 on: July 1, 2008, 10:00:57 am »
Mr Broomhead just making a clean sweep of things I guess...........I have this gut feeling we will not see the new stadium not while these two baffons are running the club.

Offline redchiz

• No income tax, no VAT
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Reds are coming up the hill, boys...
« Reply #26 on: July 1, 2008, 10:03:18 am »
£9m? Judging by last year's accounts, that wouldn't be enough to cover G&H's drinks tab.
"Rise like Lions after slumber
In unvanquishable number,
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you -
Ye are many - they are few." Percy Bysshe Shelley

Offline LiverBirdKop

• A moron. Twice. No flies on their nullshit
  • Legacy Fan
  • 51,077 Deleted
« Reply #27 on: July 1, 2008, 10:05:59 am »
....at defo not without selling the naming rights...

Oh, the naming rights will be sold. That's a given. And probably every stand and area in the new stadium. McNasty's Kop, Section Big Mac, etc etc. Check the baseball stadium of the Texas Rangers for a sample....

£9m is a lot of money....just not in the grand scheme of things.

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #28 on: July 1, 2008, 10:13:34 am »
McNasty's Kop, Section Big Mac, etc etc. Check the baseball stadium of the Texas Rangers for a sample....

McNasty's Family Stand ;)

Offline Tomrock

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • Hobophobic
« Reply #29 on: July 1, 2008, 10:14:01 am »
Sounds like a good thing to me. at least he is going to have to prove he's got the funds.
We are the noise they could not deal with

Offline Jason McG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: July 1, 2008, 10:20:51 am »
Personally i wouldn't blame them in the least, regardless of what fuckwitts the NWDA are, the way G&H have behaved offers a far greater chance of a humongous fuck up than any other option

Is right.
I'm so fucking angry I'm rubbing my face!!!

Offline lucid-tentacles

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Living for the moment
« Reply #31 on: July 1, 2008, 10:21:58 am »
 To take it even further each part of the stadium will now be built with recycled bottles and containers from Hicks latest acquistion

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080630/hicks_graham_blackstone.html?.v=2

That should save him a few bob plus think of the advertising  ;D
I don't mind waitin', don't mind waitin'
Cause no matter how long it takes
All of us know
That it's getting better
Growing stronger, warm and wilder
Getting better everyday,

Offline Shanks1965

• SOS member 981
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 96 friends who we all miss...
« Reply #32 on: July 1, 2008, 10:22:19 am »

If we can't, we don't.

You dont think its a blow?

If we can't pay for the stadium, we dont get the £9m? And if we can't pay for the stadium.. WE DONT GET A NEW STADIUM.

Thats not a blow?
Seen more titles than he can remember...

Offline Redrider

• Departed for a forum with better manners
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: July 1, 2008, 10:28:39 am »
Couldn't agree more. Its about time G&H were well and truly flushed out. They are trying to bullshit everyone in sight about their intentions to finance and invest, when its obvious to to even half witted civil servants that they just wan't to use everybody elses money apart from their own.
I say withhold the funding and break their hold on the club.

Offline Walter Sobchak

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Calmer than you are
« Reply #34 on: July 1, 2008, 10:37:50 am »
I don’t blame them. Why should they give us the £9mill grant? If the whole thing falls flat on its face there £9mill is gone. Currently the risk that the stadium will never actually be built is too big. I’m sure right now there are many other projects that are much more worthy of a £9mill grant in the Northwest.

Our owners reputation and credibility and therefore our clubs reputation and credibility is in tatters.

Offline Rafa The Gaffer

• Anny Roader
« Reply #35 on: July 1, 2008, 10:49:14 am »
You dont think its a blow?

If we can't pay for the stadium, we dont get the £9m? And if we can't pay for the stadium.. WE DONT GET A NEW STADIUM.

Thats not a blow?

The £9m is irrelevant to the stadium though. If we can't afford the stadium, we don't get the stadium. End of. Whether the £9m is released has absolutely no effect on our ability to build the stadium.

If we can't afford it, we can't afford it, with or without the £9m from the NWDA.

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #36 on: July 1, 2008, 10:52:02 am »
well fuck the regeneration part...concrete the area and lease it to franchises!
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #37 on: July 1, 2008, 10:53:32 am »

G&H can't use it for the stadium itself. It's to pay for other associated works.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Rafa The Gaffer

• Anny Roader
« Reply #38 on: July 1, 2008, 10:55:53 am »
G&H can't use it for the stadium itself. It's to pay for other associated works.
Yeah, wasn't there a big argument about a year ago, because we wanted to use some of it to build the roof?

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #39 on: July 1, 2008, 10:56:09 am »
2 Words

1 Man

Rick Parry

Go on then, explain how that's down to Parry or the club?
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.