Author Topic: AFC LIVERPOOL - the first match  (Read 11246 times)

Offline Life

• goes on.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: AFC LIVERPOOL - the first match
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2008, 05:14:01 pm »
I'll kick off a team called AFC Liverpool West Midlands.

There's a few people from round where I live who support Liverpool and who can't afford to go to too many games.

I look forward to your support for our club.
"Why should they be used in any other way? It wouldn'a be fair for one thing. Natural ability is far too precious tae be messed about wi'."

Offline coffeehead

• A Lack Of Real Spice In His Life
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2008, 10:27:31 am »
I'll kick off a team called AFC Liverpool West Midlands.

There's a few people from round where I live who support Liverpool and who can't afford to go to too many games.

I look forward to your support for our club.
Go for it. I wish you the best of luck and will try to come along to any games if I'm in the area.

Offline kingjari

• But you can call me Off the Pitch. Or donut.
  • Legacy Fan
  • It is our RIGHT, our DUTY to throw off such owners
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2008, 04:33:20 pm »
Life,

Why do you have such a bug up yer arse about all this mate, if it means nothing to you and you care little for the whole idea.

then just ignore it, all your
"opinions" won't change the future direction of AFCL will it ?. As for that glib 'AFC liverpool west midlands' line, very sad that lad. Bitter almost.

Maybe you should found AFC bitters west midlands instead ?
SIR Bill Shankly:
"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques."

Spirit Of Shankly- JFT96

Con el Socio, todo ; sin el socio, nada

http://www.spiritofshankly.com/join.html-  join online

Offline Aldridge 8

• Schizophrenic.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2008, 11:00:45 am »
Life,

Why do you have such a bug up yer arse about all this mate, if it means nothing to you and you care little for the whole idea.

then just ignore it, all your
"opinions" won't change the future direction of AFCL will it ?. As for that glib 'AFC liverpool west midlands' line, very sad that lad. Bitter almost.

Maybe you should found AFC bitters west midlands instead ?
I do think that life's post is valid as he like my self sees this club as a protest club , that would not have happened if the Americans had not taken charge , yes it all great going on about they want away game when liverpool are at home and all that , but how much you tart it up it is just another F.C. United or AFC Wimbledon a protest team.

Offline kingjari

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2008, 11:49:09 am »
OK Aldo you saying it for the 1,000,000 th time has convinced me it is in fact a protest team. Thanks for your dogged persistance mate.

If AFC is protesting against LFC, why have the club embraced the team that's  supposed to be protesting against them ?
SIR Bill Shankly:
"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques."

Spirit Of Shankly- JFT96

Offline coffeehead

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2008, 03:08:52 pm »
I do think that life's post is valid as he like my self sees this club as a protest club , that would not have happened if the Americans had not taken charge , yes it all great going on about they want away game when liverpool are at home and all that , but how much you tart it up it is just another F.C. United or AFC Wimbledon a protest team.
Still think you can reorder the universe if you say something enough times eh? Sorry, but it can't be done :)

Offline coffeehead

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2008, 03:09:29 pm »
OK Aldo you saying it for the 1,000,000 th time has convinced me it is in fact a protest team. Thanks for your dogged persistance mate.

If AFC is protesting against LFC, why have the club embraced the team that's  supposed to be protesting against them ?
La la la, he can't (won't) hear you

Offline kingjari

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2008, 05:21:23 pm »
not arsed if he's listening mate, he can bang his drum as much as he likes, I won't start whistleing the tune.

I just put £10 in to become a member of AFCL , not as a protest against H & G though, i'll stick to participating in SOS actions for that.

Shit, should'nt have mentioned SOS, Aldo will go off on one again.

Just kidding Aldo mate.
SIR Bill Shankly:

Spirit Of Shankly- JFT96

Offline Robotforaday

• Fifty shades off white
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2008, 08:50:36 pm »
I hope nobody sees this as "having a go" but at what stage were the local grassroots clubs consulted about this? I asked in another thread and got no answer. Now, I was (pleasantly) surprised to see Marine etc. lining up for friendlies, as I would have thought they'd have felt it a bit disrespectful. But anybody know what e.g. Prescot Cables think about this? How come they're letting AFC Liverpool use their ground, don't they see it as a rival club taking support from them, or are they just happy for all the help they can get keeping their ground etc.?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 08:57:49 pm by Robotforaday »

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #49 on: July 1, 2008, 02:45:59 am »
^ I imagine you'd get an answer if you went on the AFC Liverpool forums and asked them.

Personally I'd have thought there wouldn't be much consultation between the clubs about starting AFC Liverpool up - why would there be?

I imagine Prescot Cables are quite happy to get some extra money in and the possibility of getting some extra fans on the back of it.
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Robotforaday

• Fifty shades off white
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: July 1, 2008, 10:29:59 am »
^ I imagine you'd get an answer if you went on the AFC Liverpool forums and asked them.

Personally I'd have thought there wouldn't be much consultation between the clubs about starting AFC Liverpool up - why would there be?

I imagine Prescot Cables are quite happy to get some extra money in and the possibility of getting some extra fans on the back of it.

I imagine you're right, and I might go on the AFC Liverpool forum and ask.

Essentially, I can't shake a feeling of bemusement about this whole strange episode in Liverpool fan history. I do feel it an odd decision to set up a grassroots level club when there are plenty of grassroots teams out there to throw yourself behind and invest in, many with a long history. If there was no grassroots football in Merseyside, I'd understand this. But there is grassroots football, and some fans are turning their nose up at it in order to reinvent the wheel and stick a Liverbird on it.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #51 on: July 1, 2008, 12:48:50 pm »
^ There is the difference of this club being owned by it's supporters - who will make the decisions on how the club is run (non-team matters). To have a say in the running of a club - no matter how small - is pretty intriguing, and AFCL should never fall into a situation where we are now with our current owners...

Plus it is being targeted specifically at Liverpool fans who can no longer afford to go (with mates and families etc) to Anfield etc - something which I'm not sure the other local clubs could make happen or have advantage of?

(apologies if my previous post came across a little sharp or patronising - maybe posting at nearly3am in the morning isn't the best tihng for my fragile tired mind ;))
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline coffeehead

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: July 1, 2008, 01:00:32 pm »
I imagine you're right, and I might go on the AFC Liverpool forum and ask.

Essentially, I can't shake a feeling of bemusement about this whole strange episode in Liverpool fan history. I do feel it an odd decision to set up a grassroots level club when there are plenty of grassroots teams out there to throw yourself behind and invest in, many with a long history. If there was no grassroots football in Merseyside, I'd understand this. But there is grassroots football, and some fans are turning their nose up at it in order to reinvent the wheel and stick a Liverbird on it.
People are free to start up football clubs if they wish to in this country without any consultation needed with existing clubs. I understand what you are trying to say but where do you draw the line? At some point each of those other clubs you mention started up despite other clubs already existing.

In fact take all the clubs in the country and they are almost all "guilty" of starting up despite other clubs existing in their area.

Offline JoeTwerp

• Leader of the Maryland Vigilante Child Army. Mayor of Twerpville. Population 2
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: July 1, 2008, 07:14:34 pm »
I would think a "high profile" team joining the local grassroots level would only benefit the other clubs. A kind of high tide raises all boats thing.  I started off skeptical on the idea because there was so much negative feedback, but the official website was so positive  and accepting of the idea that I had to look into it more for myself, and I think it is a good idea, and can be good for LFC.

One question that I have is why not just go and watch the reserves? how much are reserve ticket prices? and at least that would actually be supporting the club and its hopefully future players. Is it because they don't play that close to Anfield or that their games are during the week?

Offline PLY

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #54 on: July 2, 2008, 01:09:41 pm »

Well the real Aldo is now an official patron

http://afcliverpool.org.uk/go/1st-team/aldo-signs-up-for-afc-liverpool.html#more-98

Liverpool hero and boyhood Kopite John Aldridge is the latest Red legend to sign up as a patron of AFC Liverpool.

The former league champion and FA Cup Winner contacted AFC Liverpool to give his support to the club, and agreed to become an official AFC Liverpool patron.

Aldo said: “As someone who started my own career at South Liverpool I know the importance of grassroots football.

“I love the idea that Liverpool supporters now have our own non league team.

“I am proud to be a patron and supporter of AFC Liverpool and hope that many other Reds join me in giving AFC Liverpool your support.”

AFC Liverpool founder and Chair Alun Parry said: “John Aldridge is one of the most popular ex players among Liverpool fans, and to have his support is incredible.

“It was amazing for my phone to ring and for it to be Aldo at the other end of the line wanting to be a patron of the club.”

Aldridge doesn’t have long to wait to see his new club play. AFC Liverpool’s first ever match kicks off on Wednesday 16th July (7.45pm) when they face St Helens Town at Ashton Town’s Edge Green Street Stadium.

The match is all ticket, with match tickets and coach tickets available from the News From Nowhere Bookstore in Bold Street, Liverpool. Ticket prices are adults £5, children £3, and coach tickets are £5 each.

Ayer , Hoy , Manana Y Siempre - L.F.C.

Offline Something Else

• that car's fine lookin' man (clearly insured with confused.com)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
  • Super Title: something else required
« Reply #55 on: July 2, 2008, 01:31:44 pm »
in fairness the real aldo would lend his name to the opening of a can of coke if it meant he was in the press

Offline dannymc

• Wannabee RAWK dogger
  • Legacy Fan
  • Any spares
« Reply #56 on: July 2, 2008, 02:39:25 pm »
is there any lineups or anything for the team? I might know a few lads who got through the trials
If he scores more goals than Torres this season ill change me name to Carol.

Offline SMICER

• Anny Roader
« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2008, 03:17:02 pm »
We have signed 9 players mate,  del is hoping to sign some of the trailists up as well mate.

Offline bez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The reds are coming up the hill!!!!!!!
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2008, 01:13:33 pm »

One question that I have is why not just go and watch the reserves? how much are reserve ticket prices? and at least that would actually be supporting the club and its hopefully future players. Is it because they don't play that close to Anfield or that their games are during the week?

Reserves are fine to watch, but at which point is reserve team football fun? Its watching players develop slowly without any real competitive action.  You cant exactly hope that the reserves move on through the league system can you.
Oh W**ky W**ky, W**ky W**ky W**ky W**ky Warrington.

Betfair referal code 6TXMVXF6J. £25 free

Offline oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2008, 12:25:14 pm »
Tonight's the night for AFCL's 1st game - good luck to 'em :)

Offline NickoH

• Has to fart in private to avoid offending the posh guys and gals in the Marketing Dept
  • Legacy Fan
  • Speak softly love so no one hears us but the sky
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2008, 03:34:29 pm »
Might have popped along if it wasn't for the reds live on five.
I clutch the wire fence until my fingers bleed,
A wound that will not heal, a heart that cannot feel.
Hoping that the horror will recede,
Hoping that tomorrow we'll all be freed.........JUSTICE.

Offline kingjari

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2008, 02:11:23 am »
I read it was 1-1, both penos, decent game with a good crowd numbers between  400-600 mentioned. Don't know if that was just AFC's away support, or the whole attendance.

Think i'll go the first home match on August 9th.
SIR Bill Shankly:

Spirit Of Shankly- JFT96

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2008, 11:47:23 am »
St Helens 1 AFC Liverpool 1
Published on July 17, 2008

http://afcliverpool.org.uk/go/1st-team/st-helens-1-afc-liverpool-1.html#more-112

"AFC Liverpool’s first ever game ended in a 1-1 draw after a keenly fought contest with St Helens at Ashton Town FC.

St Helens had the better of the opening exchanges, with brothers Phil and Graeme Mitchell both having shots on goal in the first five minutes.

But by the middle of the first half AFCL had settled down with number 7 Andrew McCoy proving a handful for the Saints defence by providing a number of dangerous crosses.

Both sides struggled to come to terms with the sloping pitch at times, with AFCL defender Martin Crowder being deceived by a bounce that led to his headed clearance looping skyward, but keeper Terry McCormick gathered the ball safely.

In the 29th minute McCoy made a tackle by his own corner flag before unleashing a marvellous long ball into the path of Eaton who had a clear run on goal only for the referee to blow for offside after initially ignoring appeals.

A minute after the offside decision AFCL were awarded a penalty when Dave Eaton was brought down in the area. Martin Crowder stepped forward to take the spot kick and although Saints keeper Andy Lynskey dived the right way he couldn’t get his hand to the ball.

Saints had a great chance to equalise five minutes later but Iain Dyson missed his kick from just eight yards out to jeers from the away support.

St Helens began the second half well and in the 51st minute they were level when Williams was brought down, and Neil Jones stepped up to score from the resultant penalty kick.

Neither side was happy to let the game peter out into a draw, with both having their chances to win. McCoy continued to impress for AFCL, beating two men on one occasion and firing just wide from the edge of the area. At the other end Williams bravely jumped for a cross with McCormick but his header bounced back off the post.

In the closing minutes AFCL substitute Jonathan Bathurst twice came close to being the hero, but first he saw his header come off the bar and he was later denied by a splendid double save from Lynskey.

Final Score: St Helens 1 AFC Liverpool 1

Match Report by Steven Horton"

Offline coffeehead

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: July 17, 2008, 07:02:23 pm »
Good start to the campaign. In the Prem don't the eventual winners often start with a draw? :)

Offline oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #65 on: July 18, 2008, 12:49:50 am »
^ good omen mate :)

On the AFCL forum they're saying it shouldn't be too long before the online shop opens - though merchandise can be bought at the games.

Got some scarves, badges, polo shirts (top embroidery) already available - with replica shirts to come soon :)

Offline kingjari

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: July 18, 2008, 01:39:59 am »
oojason

Is the first home match at Valerie park all ticket mate ? I fancy goin up there like. How can I get a ticket if I can't get into libpool ? Can I apply by post maybe ?
SIR Bill Shankly:

Spirit Of Shankly- JFT96

Offline SMICER

• Anny Roader
« Reply #67 on: July 18, 2008, 09:45:42 am »
oojason

Is the first home match at Valerie park all ticket mate ? I fancy goin up there like. How can I get a ticket if I can't get into libpool ? Can I apply by post maybe ?

This has not been confirmed yet mate, but i am pretty sure it wont be all ticket. You should be able to pay at the gate. You will be kepped informed on here mate so you will be o rate, if you wanted to go the game mate then YOU WILL BE able to, no problem. If it was all ticket, then just come up and someone will have a ticket readyv for you.

I know that i would quite happy get you ticket and you can get it off me before the game.

But like i say mate, i am pretty sure it will be pay on the gate.

Offline kingjari

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: July 18, 2008, 10:19:49 am »
This has not been confirmed yet mate, but i am pretty sure it wont be all ticket. You should be able to pay at the gate. You will be kepped informed on here mate so you will be o rate, if you wanted to go the game mate then YOU WILL BE able to, no problem. If it was all ticket, then just come up and someone will have a ticket readyv for you.

I know that i would quite happy get you ticket and you can get it off me before the game.

Sound SMICER lad and thanks, thats good to know like, I'm defo coming on August 9th will be good to get me first bounce of the season on the go, ha ha. I post on the AFCL forum under the same username, how abar you mate ?

SIR Bill Shankly:

Spirit Of Shankly- JFT96

Offline SMICER

• Anny Roader
« Reply #69 on: July 18, 2008, 10:52:34 am »
o rate mate, look forward to seeing you on the 9th then mate  :)

Iam mightyreds of the AFCL forum mate, the young stokie lad. I thought i regonised your name mate. i am planning to be at every game anyways mate, so you need any help just give us a shout.

Offline kingjari

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: July 18, 2008, 12:48:00 pm »
Alright mightyreds, recognise yer now fella. Will defo be there,  you and the Old farts/young reds up for a bevvie before the match like ?
Sort something out on the AFCL forum yeah ?  Should be boss.
SIR Bill Shankly:

Spirit Of Shankly- JFT96

Offline red-oz

• Main Stander
  • 38 years of 100% pure grumpiness
« Reply #71 on: July 18, 2008, 02:44:40 pm »

AFCL home games will not be all ticket. It will be pay on the gate at Valerie Park.

The capacity there is 3200
SOME MEN MAKE HEADLINES
WHILE OTHERS MAKE HISTORY

Offline SMICER

• Anny Roader
« Reply #72 on: July 18, 2008, 10:58:41 pm »
Alright mightyreds, recognise yer now fella. Will defo be there,  you and the Old farts/young reds up for a bevvie before the match like ?
Sort something out on the AFCL forum yeah ?  Should be boss.

Yeah look forward to it mate, you get me a pint mate.

Offline trigger

• sexist and shallow
  • Legacy Fan
  • The romans invented the knob on a stick
« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2008, 09:25:30 pm »
Anyone going to Marine?....what a good boozer up there?
Frankly if your team is mentioned in a Liverpool song, you should be chuffed

Offline Waterloo Phil

• Cheeky bleeder. Thinks the mods are here to answer to his beck and call
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ya Get Me
« Reply #74 on: July 22, 2008, 08:40:06 am »
Closest is the Edinburgh , 1 min from ground apart from that then its Moor Lane

Offline trigger

• sexist and shallow
  • Legacy Fan
  • The romans invented the knob on a stick