Author Topic: The Office (American version)  (Read 74925 times)

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
Re: The Office (American version)
« Reply #80 on: July 14, 2008, 02:16:40 pm »
oh you will. I got a few episodes, watched them, then couldn't stop, watched about 10 episodes in one sitting! Addictive stuff

I watched seasons 2-4 in about a week, all of season 4 in a day. It's very easy to watch. Looking forward to new the new season in September. I sense a very Dwight focused season ahead.

Offline waittillmay

• Nicks sweets off kids.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: July 25, 2008, 07:51:44 pm »
Been on all this week on ITV2 at 7.30, its so good. Has better story lines than the english one and gets you more involved but probably likes the bite of the original

Offline Canada Loves Anfield

• Everything you do is a balloon
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Under a Liverbird
« Reply #82 on: July 25, 2008, 07:56:53 pm »
This and "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" are my two favourite sitcoms out right now.

If it acts like a cock and a banner appears on the kop with its name written down the shaft of a cock, it probably is...

Liverpool FC - Toronto Supporters Club: http://lfctoronto.com/

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: July 25, 2008, 10:19:45 pm »
Have to say, the show has taken a route of it's own. Most of the characters are great and the storylines too.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline sull14

• Legacy Fan
  • Random Avatar Title.
« Reply #84 on: July 25, 2008, 11:07:26 pm »
only seen 1 or 2 episodes, but loved it. getting the box set me thinks..
JFT96

Offline waittillmay

• Nicks sweets off kids.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: July 28, 2008, 07:33:42 pm »
looks like its on again 7.30pm this week ITV2

Offline Cribertinokes

• Born free. Live free. Die.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96
« Reply #86 on: July 28, 2008, 07:39:27 pm »
Trust me it is fucking shit. Exactly the same but all horrible and american, though that is what it's intended to be it's like someone talking about football but then saying soccer instead.

Blurrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!
These are the days when I hate the world, hate the rich, hate the happy, hate the complacent, the TV watchers, beer drinkers, the satisfied ones. Because I know I can be all of those little hateful things and then I hate myself for realising that.

Offline waittillmay

• Nicks sweets off kids.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: July 28, 2008, 07:41:44 pm »
Trust me it is fucking shit. Exactly the same but all horrible and american, though that is what it's intended to be it's like someone talking about football but then saying soccer instead.

Blurrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!

thanks for that, but i'd rather trust myself. ITs class

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #88 on: July 28, 2008, 08:14:36 pm »
is it too late to vote for Skrtl the Turtle in the Baldrick Awards? ;)

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #89 on: July 28, 2008, 08:43:15 pm »

Blurrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!
How many episodes did you watch?

Offline reddaisy

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #90 on: July 29, 2008, 12:28:32 pm »
Have watched a few episodes of the American one and to be honest I don't think it's anywhere near as funny as the english one. Americans don't always get english humour so much and their interpretations of an english idea are never going to be quite as funny in my opinion
Anger is a wind that blows out the lamp of the mind.
Anxiety is freedom!

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #91 on: July 29, 2008, 01:48:46 pm »
that's the main problem with opinions on this, the inevitable comparisons with the uk one, which after the first series is unfair.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Under a Liverbird
« Reply #92 on: July 29, 2008, 02:05:33 pm »
Have watched a few episodes of the American one and to be honest I don't think it's anywhere near as funny as the english one. Americans don't always get english humour so much and their interpretations of an english idea are never going to be quite as funny in my opinion

Give the series a chance then and see where it goes. The first season is easily the worst. Once the plotlines develop and it leaves from the UK roots - it takes its own course.

There are enough English folks on here that admit (although they rate the UK one more for the most part) that it is a fucking quality show.
If it acts like a cock and a banner appears on the kop with its name written down the shaft of a cock, it probably is...

Offline mjgill85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bees? Beads?
« Reply #93 on: July 29, 2008, 02:29:25 pm »
the inevitable comparisons with the uk one
Pam is hotter than Dawn
@_michaelgill

Offline reddaisy

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #94 on: July 29, 2008, 02:37:22 pm »
Give the series a chance then and see where it goes. The first season is easily the worst. Once the plotlines develop and it leaves from the UK roots - it takes its own course.

There are enough English folks on here that admit (although they rate the UK one more for the most part) that it is a fucking quality show.

You may be right....I did only watch a few episodes from the first series it just didn't really impress me and so I switched off. Bit behind with it in South Africa where I am currently.
Anger is a wind that blows out the lamp of the mind.
Anxiety is freedom!

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #95 on: July 29, 2008, 03:16:00 pm »
Watched the first series of this, got to be honest from watching the second series on ITV2 they seem poles apart. Even the character developments don't match in properly.

Spoiler
The part where Roy comes in and pushes Jim off Pam (a la Lee to Tim), or when he is being a bellend like Dawn's fella was, is unrecognisable from the Roy that appears so nice and cool in series 2
[close]

My recommendation is to skip season 1 and just watch series 2 onwards as a different show. They can't be compared after that as the USA version has many more characters, Angela is a fantastic character, evil bitch that she is and the interaction is a whole different animal.

The George Foreman grill and the bird getting water tipped on it had me in tears. It is really a cracking show but for different reasons than the UK one. The UK one will make you squirm, the USA one will make you have more laughs.

Offline waittillmay

• Nicks sweets off kids.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: July 29, 2008, 03:26:43 pm »
Toby and Angela are two of my favourite characters in the show.
Series 3 on at the moment and its moved alot from series 1 which was almost identical to our office.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: July 29, 2008, 03:30:46 pm »
Toby and Angela are two of my favourite characters in the show.
Series 3 on at the moment and its moved alot from series 1 which was almost identical to our office.

Toby? Really? Interesting choice as he doesn't get as many funny moments as anyone else in the office except maybe Oscar. His sole role appears to be being the straight man to Michael's antics.

Offline waittillmay

• Nicks sweets off kids.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: July 29, 2008, 03:34:50 pm »
Toby? Really? Interesting choice as he doesn't get as many funny moments as anyone else in the office except maybe Oscar. His sole role appears to be being the straight man to Michael's antics.

yeah thats just it though, his serious face and the resigned look he gets in his eyes when dealing with michael. Just really enjoy his character.

another question, i havent seen much of series 2, did michael actually get with Jan(the boss) or is it something stupid, lots of references which she doesnt seem to deny

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: July 29, 2008, 03:44:35 pm »
yeah thats just it though, his serious face and the resigned look he gets in his eyes when dealing with michael. Just really enjoy his character.

another question, i havent seen much of series 2, did michael actually get with Jan(the boss) or is it something stupid, lots of references which she doesnt seem to deny

Yes. The Michael and Jan thing is ongoing... which is unfortunate because I rather dislike Jan. You can watch any episodes you missed here. http://www.free-tv-video-online.info/internet/the_office

Offline waittillmay

• Nicks sweets off kids.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: July 29, 2008, 03:47:22 pm »
Yes. The Michael and Jan thing is ongoing... which is unfortunate because I rather dislike Jan. You can watch any episodes you missed here. http://www.free-tv-video-online.info/internet/the_office

thanks for that. bought series 1 on sat, was only £6 but only had 6 episodes, series 2 and 3 have twenty odd so not sure if i should stop watching series 3 on telly every night and just get the dvd's to watch in order/watch on web/

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: July 29, 2008, 03:52:09 pm »
thanks for that. bought series 1 on sat, was only £6 but only had 6 episodes, series 2 and 3 have twenty odd so not sure if i should stop watching series 3 on telly every night and just get the dvd's to watch in order/watch on web/
If you've bought the DVDs it's worth waiting for them, so you can watch them in order with the deleted scenes, which are very worthwhile.

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #102 on: July 29, 2008, 03:53:29 pm »
If you've bought the DVDs it's worth waiting for them, so you can watch them in order with the deleted scenes, which are very worthwhile.

Can you please spoiler why Pam and Roy split up?

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: July 29, 2008, 03:57:45 pm »
Can you please spoiler why Pam and Roy split up?

Quite a few details here, so only read if you don't care about spoilers at all. I suppose it doesn't matter as much for a sitcom.

Spoiler
Initially they split between season 2 and 3 because on the last episode of season 2, Pam and Jim kissed and she realised that she didn't want to be with Roy. Then it turns out at the start of season 3 that Jim has transferred to another branch, because Pam had initially rejected him at the end of season 2. She got back together with Roy out of sheer loneliness for a couple of episodes, but after she revealed to him that she had kissed Jim in season 2, he completely lost it and they split again. That's pretty much it.
[close]

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: July 29, 2008, 04:09:44 pm »
This and "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" are my two favourite sitcoms out right now.

that sir is a very top comedy show. I really do not tend to laugh out loud a lot at too many shows but it's always sunny in Philadelphia is one of the few that have that ability for me.

This shows is also great, Ryan is very funny with his talking heads scenes, Creed is one of the funniest characters on TV at the moment.

For the favourite line, i've got to put:

Dwight Schrute:     And just as you have planted your seed in the ground, I am going to plant my seed, in you.

Ryan:    I don't think you know what you're saying.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan

Offline Franck Le Poof

• Blonde transvestite who is utterly haunted by the idea of sitting in other mens piss. Has ticked the box for no publicity ;)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: July 29, 2008, 04:33:36 pm »
Just downloaded bought the second season and its a great laugh. I love it so far.
Whenever I meet a French girl I kiss her on both cheeks. Then I stand up and say hello

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Under a Liverbird
« Reply #107 on: July 29, 2008, 04:36:39 pm »
that sir is a very top comedy show. I really do not tend to laugh out loud a lot at too many shows but it's always sunny in Philadelphia is one of the few that have that ability for me.

It's kind of got that underground cult following to it too. Not too many people know about it and the friends I have deemed 'worthy' enough to get my inside knowledge think it is a belter of a sitcom.

Cheers to you for knowing it - now I will have to kill you  :P ;)

Offline waittillmay

• Nicks sweets off kids.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: July 29, 2008, 04:36:54 pm »
trouble with having 20odd episodes on disc is that i'd end up staying up all night watching them.
At least on the tv its only half an hour at a time.
But getting into series 3 now and i really want to go back and see series 2, only saw the last few episodes of it.

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: July 29, 2008, 04:48:28 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9dqckcQQZw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukkDY-ZMfb8&feature=related

if thats not proof that he is one of the greatest characters on tv i dont know what is.  ;D

i had the feeling that one of those would be Creed thoughts, easily one of my favourite Creed moments.

"Even for the internet........its pretty shocking"

the Ryan Dwight combination is great:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b32B3eBEJM&feature=related

Jim imitating Dwight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts9geuPWQvs

the wonderful revenege: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGcdhJFj3Nk&feature=related

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: July 29, 2008, 04:59:14 pm »
It's kind of got that underground cult following to it too. Not too many people know about it and the friends I have deemed 'worthy' enough to get my inside knowledge think it is a belter of a sitcom.

exactly, It's one of those, "this shows is so good i don't want to share it" things. Charlie is insane, Dennis is a pure cocky lovable character, and Sweet Dee is a halriouslly bad voice of reason.

The dialogue is brilliant and i love the way it talks about issues and makes them seem kinda stupid in the way people try and be politically correct.

The starts are always brilliant and the titles themselves are a laugh. Including: "Charlie Goes America All Over Everybody's Ass", "The Gang Finds a Dumpster Baby", and who can forget "Charlie Got Molested".

But lets shush before words spreads.  ;)

Offline waittillmay

• Nicks sweets off kids.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: July 30, 2008, 09:11:22 am »
Bit of genius in the one i watched last night from series 3 involving Mike and Jan:

Spoiler
mike has emailed pic of him and Jan on holiday to everyone and is panicking the whole way through, so she eventually finds him and takes him for a talk in the office where she actually comes out and tells him she likes him, so milke ever the cool guy just says he likes her too....she kisses him then walks out to leave...but of course just in time Mike goes ..."you complete me" and does some little hand sign. Probably the most cringeworthy thing i've seen in the show yet, i was even in bed thinking how awful it was :D brilliant bit of tv though
[close]

Offline waittillmay

• Nicks sweets off kids.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: September 15, 2008, 10:25:31 am »
Just downloaded and am fast getting through series 4, its superb.

Anyone know when its starting up again on UK telly?

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: September 15, 2008, 01:47:46 pm »
Just downloaded and am fast getting through series 4, its superb.

Anyone know when its starting up again on UK telly?

No idea about UK telly, but it'll be back on in the States, and ergo online, on the 25th of this month. Happy days ;D

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #114 on: September 15, 2008, 01:49:15 pm »
No idea about UK telly, but it'll be back on in the States, and ergo online, on the 25th of this month. Happy days ;D

Good stuff

Spoiler
Glad Ryan went to jail at the end of season 4, he does a good job of getting us to hate him, tho i hated him when he was just a temp ;D
[close]

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #115 on: September 15, 2008, 02:15:02 pm »
This show has now overtaken the UK one for pure longevity and hilarity.

I really can't point at one weak character, maybe Phylis or Kelly. Toby's deadpan responses to Michael are just pure genius - the flasher scene and locked in conference room ones are just quite superb TV.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: September 15, 2008, 04:34:57 pm »
This show has now overtaken the UK one for pure longevity and hilarity.

I really can't point at one weak character, maybe Phylis or Kelly. Toby's deadpan responses to Michael are just pure genius - the flasher scene and locked in conference room ones are just quite superb TV.

I'd say Ryan is the weakest character. I don't dislike him at all, but considering the fact that he shares top billing with Michael, Jim, Dwight and Pam, we really haven't seen him develop too much. There are two episodes when I quite liked him though- the one where he goes on a sales call with Dwight, and the one in season 4 when Michael and Dwight visit him in New York. Comedic gold

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #117 on: September 15, 2008, 04:36:35 pm »
I'd say Ryan is the weakest character. I don't dislike him at all, but considering the fact that he shares top billing with Michael, Jim, Dwight and Pam, we really haven't seen him develop too much. There are two episodes when I quite liked him though- the one where he goes on a sales call with Dwight, and the one in season 4 when Michael and Dwight visit him in New York. Comedic gold

Ryan's sales call with Dwight is brilliant, but mainly as most scenes with Dwight in are

Offline waittillmay

• Nicks sweets off kids.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: September 15, 2008, 06:08:32 pm »
Up to episode 5 series 4  now and Ryan is fast becoming a twat.
agree about dwight though, all scenes with him in our brilliant :d

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #119 on: September 16, 2008, 01:00:06 pm »

exactly, It's one of those, "this shows is so good i don't want to share it" things. Charlie is insane, Dennis is a pure cocky lovable character, and Sweet Dee is a halriouslly bad voice of reason.

The dialogue is brilliant and i love the way it talks about issues and makes them seem kinda stupid in the way people try and be politically correct.

The starts are always brilliant and the titles themselves are a laugh. Including: "Charlie Goes America All Over Everybody's Ass", "The Gang Finds a Dumpster Baby", and who can forget "Charlie Got Molested".

But lets shush before words spreads.  ;)
I LOVE Sunny in Philly. Yea same as, passed my knowledge of it to a couple of specially chosen friends, and they love it.

Wish theyd hurry up and release it on DVD here.
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.