Author Topic: Shanklyboy's and Fat Scousers ( Leo who's still alive ) auld arse thread  (Read 4043638 times)

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Shanklyboy's auld arse thread - Over 1000 Pages of Wisdom For Young Uns!
« Reply #41880 on: January 19, 2018, 10:06:33 am »

At one point, as a deep cross was overhit out of his reach - and importantly with most of the players and the officials watching the flight of the ball, he ran past Docherty and chinned him stone cold.

Ha ha - Paul Walsh forgot about the linesman's perfect view when he sparked this big galoot with a frankly gorgeous right hook

slow motion 10.50 - 11.50

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/61ZM6HHe72I" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/61ZM6HHe72I</a>

:D

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #41881 on: January 19, 2018, 01:29:03 pm »
wasnt it a bloke from Bucarest Souness broke the jaw of ?

I'm sure it was a Rumanian team who, like most Eastern Bloc teams then, represented a section of the armed forces, in that case the Securitate.

So there is a geriatric hitman on the prowl in Bournemouth looking to eliminate Souness with extreme prejudice.

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #41882 on: January 19, 2018, 01:55:14 pm »
Pretty sure this is what Vinny Jones woulda got in the 1st minute if he went toe to toe with Souness..

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/ygVgxYa3mlo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/ygVgxYa3mlo</a>
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Deliverer of the -Q- de grace.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thought I was wrong once - but I was mistaken.
« Reply #41883 on: January 20, 2018, 09:20:45 am »
My cousin who played professionally always said Souness was known by his fellow professionals as NOT the hardest player in the league but as the dirtiest. Says he'd deliberately go over the ball blue-eyed and smiling whenever the fancy took him.

Don't get me wrong here, I acknowledge straight away he was a top player and naming him came as a surprise to me as I had the likes of Jimmy Case or Tommy Smith in mind when I asked him who was the dirtiest player he'd come up against.

He told me Jimmy and Tommy were both very hard buggers to play against but he judged them always fair.
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41884 on: January 20, 2018, 04:56:07 pm »
My cousin who played professionally always said Souness was known by his fellow professionals as NOT the hardest player in the league but as the dirtiest. Says he'd deliberately go over the ball blue-eyed and smiling whenever the fancy took him.

Don't get me wrong here, I acknowledge straight away he was a top player and naming him came as a surprise to me as I had the likes of Jimmy Case or Tommy Smith in mind when I asked him who was the dirtiest player he'd come up against.

He told me Jimmy and Tommy were both very hard buggers to play against but he judged them always fair.
Happy Daze was right just googled it and it was Bucharest. should know that as the return match it goes into Johns point

John, I'm sure your cousin view is valid, he could be dirty no doubt, but it was normally retribution for someone doing the likes of Heighway who could be put out of a game by an early 'hard' tackle. From reading the biographies of some of the Liverpool players he had some balls on him though, Roma away and the return in Romania which was behind the Iron curtain, the Army and police where baying for his blood after the first leg and the Liverpool players were terrified as  teams of squaddies were barracking the coach at the airport, Souness took it in his stride gave the lads a pep talk then walked out on his own soaking the atmosphere. He was a proper Captain as well as a dirty get.
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Online Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #41885 on: January 20, 2018, 05:41:46 pm »
I remember when Moran (for United) butted Kenny in the face when they went up for a header, breaking Kenny's cheekbone. Before the game restarted (Kenny obviously had to go straight to hospital) the ref had to get Bob off the pitch because Bob had seen the colour of Souness's face (purple) and knew what would have happened if he didn't immediately get on the pitch and try and calm him down.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Willi

• ave a sensa yuma? It appears e will :) Needs an 'h' in 'Cef', clearly! Appy retirement, fella :)
  • Kopite
« Reply #41886 on: January 20, 2018, 07:21:11 pm »
Anyone else here been feeling really tired and at the same time hungry, eating lots, in the last few weeks?
Apparently it's due to an extreme lack of sun over a lot of Europe this winter.

Offline kopite.keith

• Offical OAP
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41887 on: January 20, 2018, 07:50:16 pm »
I remember when Moran (for United) butted Kenny in the face when they went up for a header, breaking Kenny's cheekbone. Before the game restarted (Kenny obviously had to go straight to hospital) the ref had to get Bob off the pitch because Bob had seen the colour of Souness's face (purple) and knew what would have happened if he didn't immediately get on the pitch and try and calm him down.

Doc, I was at that game and I'm pretty sure Moran did Kenny with the elbow when they both went up for a ball together. The one I was always fuming about was a game at Old Trafford when Molby was running the show, Ferguson sent his son on and his first contribution was to put Molby out of the game. I think we were 2-0 up and it ended up 2-2. I'm not sure Ferguson jnr contributed a lot to the United cause throughout his time there other than that.
When in Rome...

Online Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #41888 on: January 20, 2018, 08:58:07 pm »
Doc, I was at that game and I'm pretty sure Moran did Kenny with the elbow when they both went up for a ball together. The one I was always fuming about was a game at Old Trafford when Molby was running the show, Ferguson sent his son on and his first contribution was to put Molby out of the game. I think we were 2-0 up and it ended up 2-2. I'm not sure Ferguson jnr contributed a lot to the United cause throughout his time there other than that.
Fuck off. Manila Vanilla put you up to this didn't he.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #41889 on: January 20, 2018, 11:38:03 pm »
Anyone else here been feeling really tired and at the same time hungry, eating lots, in the last few weeks?

Sound. I'll use that....
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline kopite.keith

• Offical OAP
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41890 on: January 20, 2018, 11:38:38 pm »
Fuck off. Manila Vanilla put you up to this didn't he.

:D
When in Rome...

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #41891 on: January 25, 2018, 11:56:31 pm »

Feeling tired its my age perhaps, drinking lots rather than eating, not all booze by the way, i must admit i always get more energy in the spring a bit like the Daffs .
Mellowing and Retired, and stayed around long enough to watch the Tories implode

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41892 on: January 26, 2018, 11:43:57 am »
Feeling tired its my age perhaps, drinking lots rather than eating, not all booze by the way, i must admit i always get more energy in the spring a bit like the Daffs .

Sun's shining, been for a walk, about to head out for lunch, made arrangements to meet up with mates next week and feeling really positive.

But not looking forward to watching us break down the parked bus tomorrow. May need something to drink for that.

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #41893 on: January 26, 2018, 02:41:15 pm »
Pretty sure this is what Vinny Jones woulda got in the 1st minute if he went toe to toe with Souness..

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/ygVgxYa3mlo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/ygVgxYa3mlo</a>

The broken jaw incident follows on from this video above, but you don`t see much as Souness had made himself scarce.

There`s also a cracking "tackle" he did on George McCluskey (former Celtic) against Hibs, resulting in a melee and Souey being sent off on his debut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj5CmjB9LaE
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41894 on: January 26, 2018, 03:25:54 pm »
By the way, Johnno, I was sitting in the car the other day as my partner went into the pharmacy. An elderly gentleman got out of the car in front and followed her in. She said he was very cheerful, held the door open for her and joked about being the new doorman.

When I asked if she knew who it was, she didn't. It was Denis Law. Apparently, he's better behaved when people are jostling for position now...

;D ;D Great fella the Lawman - and came from an Aberdonian family that had absolutely nothing going for them but the fishing. Always did like Denis because though only 9 stone wringing wet, he played with passion and his heart on his sleeve. It seems it's STILL on his sleeve!

There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41895 on: January 26, 2018, 03:45:03 pm »
The broken jaw incident follows on from this video above, but you don`t see much as Souness had made himself scarce.

There`s also a cracking "tackle" he did on George McCluskey (former Celtic) against Hibs, resulting in a melee and Souey being sent off on his debut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj5CmjB9LaE

That game could have ended 9 or even 8 aside the nonsense that was allowed to go on.

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41896 on: January 26, 2018, 04:09:33 pm »
;D ;D Great fella the Lawman - and came from an Aberdonian family that had absolutely nothing going for them but the fishing. Always did like Denis because though only 9 stone wringing wet, he played with passion and his heart on his sleeve. It seems it's STILL on his sleeve!

He and Kenny still share the all-time Scottish scoring record on a modest 30. It will be weird when some nonentity overtakes it simply by playing more matches against poor teams.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41897 on: January 26, 2018, 10:31:25 pm »
He and Kenny still share the all-time Scottish scoring record on a modest 30. It will be weird when some nonentity overtakes it simply by playing more matches against poor teams.

How fecking galling will that be Killie mate?

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41898 on: January 27, 2018, 09:29:11 am »
How fecking galling will that be Killie mate?

Yeh, pretty bad. The "good" news is we don't have anyone to put the ball in the back of the net regularly  ;D

We're still waiting for the cycle to turn again. I struggle to think of the last great Scottish player and have to wonder why they're not coming through. Some people suggest that we've become too soft and coddled in Chilly Jockoland!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41899 on: January 27, 2018, 09:36:51 am »
Yeh, pretty bad. The "good" news is we don't have anyone to put the ball in the back of the net regularly  ;D

We're still waiting for the cycle to turn again. I struggle to think of the last great Scottish player and have to wonder why they're not coming through. Some people suggest that we've become too soft and coddled in Chilly Jockoland!

I always thought that Glasgow and Liverpool produced similar quantities of good players. Not sure who the last really good Glaswegian player was but Liverpool hasn't produced a top player since Rooney/Gerrard. TAA, potentially, and Barkley will have PL careers but top class?

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #41900 on: January 28, 2018, 09:01:52 am »
I had a quick skim but gave up reading it last night, but oh boy, I was as pissed off as anyone listening to and at the match result but that post match thread is getting toxic.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41901 on: January 28, 2018, 07:10:09 pm »
I had a quick skim but gave up reading it last night, but oh boy, I was as pissed off as anyone listening to and at the match result but that post match thread is getting toxic.

Got more toxic, degenerated into covert criticism of Klopp and overt criticism of FSG.

Locked now. ;)

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #41902 on: January 28, 2018, 07:19:41 pm »
Full of spoiled brats, stamping their feet and demanding instant gratification. I want it and I want it now!!! They need their arses tanned with a studded belt
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 07:21:58 pm by vivabobbygraham »
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41903 on: January 28, 2018, 07:35:39 pm »
Full of spoiled brats, stamping their feet and demanding instant gratification. I want it and I want it now!!! They need their arses tanned with a studded belt

And how long did Shanks go without winning a trophy whilst buying two players from Scunthorpe for buttons?

Mind you I think some fans did send polite letters to the Board asking that Mr Shankly's contract be terminated, but only one or two.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #41904 on: January 28, 2018, 08:20:10 pm »
And how long did Shanks go without winning a trophy whilst buying two players from Scunthorpe for buttons?

Mind you I think some fans did send polite letters to the Board asking that Mr Shankly's contract be terminated, but only one or two.

Did they? I never knew that.  :o

Modern football.  >:(
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41905 on: January 28, 2018, 10:55:51 pm »
Did they? I never knew that.  :o

Modern football.  >:(

I think I read it in Shanks biography but in the 60s everyone would have a bit of a moan in the pub, after the match before catching the bus home to get changed for a night on the town.

Simply times without phone ins or social media. Mind you there was always the letter page in the pink Echo.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41906 on: January 28, 2018, 11:03:31 pm »
I think I read it in Shanks biography but in the 60s everyone would have a bit of a moan in the pub, after the match before catching the bus home to get changed for a night on the town.

Simply times without phone ins or social media. Mind you there was always the letter page in the pink Echo.

I remember the pink letter pages of the Echo and there were always a letter there from Len Griffiths, does anyone remember that?

These phone ins are doing my head in, one claiming almost 50% want Klopp gone now.  :butt  Having said that the next comment was someone suggested Tony Pulis! Surely though that has to be someone trolling. Do we really have fans who think Pulis would take us somewhere.  ::)

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41907 on: January 29, 2018, 11:18:12 am »
I remember the pink letter pages of the Echo and there were always a letter there from Len Griffiths, does anyone remember that?

These phone ins are doing my head in, one claiming almost 50% want Klopp gone now.  :butt  Having said that the next comment was someone suggested Tony Pulis! Surely though that has to be someone trolling. Do we really have fans who think Pulis would take us somewhere.  ::)

;D I remember him, it was every week wasn't it, he was prolific. A man ahead of his time.
Was it Bebington or Oxton?

On the phone ins. While I do think that some of our fans are spoilt enough to want Klopp out, and thick enough to say it on the Radio, surely phone ins and stuff like that is ripe for WUMs and other fans, especially clubs like ours with fans from all over.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41908 on: January 29, 2018, 12:04:04 pm »
;D I remember him, it was every week wasn't it, he was prolific. A man ahead of his time.

On the phone ins. While I do think that some of our fans are spoilt enough to want Klopp out, and thick enough to say it on the Radio, surely phone ins and stuff like that is ripe for WUMs and other fans, especially clubs like ours with fans from all over.

I'm sure it was Oxton. Wasn't he a hang 'em and flog 'em type in the letter page of the Echo proper?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41909 on: January 29, 2018, 03:16:52 pm »
I'm sure it was Oxton. Wasn't he a hang 'em and flog 'em type in the letter page of the Echo proper?
Not sure mate, we were always too tight to buy the Echo when I was a kid. Always got the footy Echo on a Saturday though, waiting outside the paper shop for a bundle to be lobbed off the van  :D

Len was the forerunner of the online know all though. Can't think how Paisley would have managed all those trophies without him.

Offline kopite.keith

• Offical OAP
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41910 on: January 29, 2018, 08:09:10 pm »
Not sure mate, we were always too tight to buy the Echo when I was a kid. Always got the footy Echo on a Saturday though, waiting outside the paper shop for a bundle to be lobbed off the van  :D

Len was the forerunner of the online know all though. Can't think how Paisley would have managed all those trophies without him.

I'm sure Paisley was referring to Len when he once commented that one of his biggest critics came from the Wirral and "probably watched the games from there too"
When in Rome...

Offline kopite.keith

• Offical OAP
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41911 on: January 29, 2018, 08:12:45 pm »
Anybody understand how my last nine posts are all still numbered 948? Noticed this happen in the past, maybe a mod can answer?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 08:17:54 pm by kopite.keith »
When in Rome...

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41912 on: January 29, 2018, 08:39:57 pm »
Anybody understand how my last nine posts are all still numbered 948? Noticed this happen in the past, maybe a mod can answer?
There's only 2 of your posts that have been deleted in the last couple of months which you may have done yourself mate. So there's no reason for you to be stuck on 948.

Could make a good custom title though :)

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41913 on: January 29, 2018, 08:53:52 pm »

I'm ashamed to admit he was from this side of the water. He used to fascinate me over what he'd complain about, don't think there was single thing he didn't moan about. Goalkeeper, check, defence, check, midfield, not good enough, strikers, we could do better. A bit of a fruit case to be honest. I think he was the forefather of today's social media fan.  ;D

Offline kopite.keith

• Offical OAP
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41914 on: January 29, 2018, 09:18:45 pm »

There's only 2 of your posts that have been deleted in the last couple of months which you may have done yourself mate. So there's no reason for you to be stuck on 948.

Could make a good custom title though :)

Should have kept me mouth shut  :-X
I probably did delete the posts but you'll see the posts on the previous couple of pages. Thanks for the reply.
Noticed they all updated to 949 now  ;D
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 09:21:24 pm by kopite.keith »
When in Rome...

Offline Rick13

• Main Stander
« Reply #41915 on: January 30, 2018, 11:16:40 am »
Excellent article by Daniel Taylor regarding the Munich Air Disaster, the 60th anniversary of which takes place next Tuesday, and the impact it had on those who survived.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2018/jan/28/munich-disaster-60-years-manchester-united-anniversary
"We believe there's never a cause that's lost" Bill Shankly

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41916 on: January 30, 2018, 12:58:45 pm »
I'm ashamed to admit he was from this side of the water. He used to fascinate me over what he'd complain about, don't think there was single thing he didn't moan about. Goalkeeper, check, defence, check, midfield, not good enough, strikers, we could do better. A bit of a fruit case to be honest. I think he was the forefather of today's social media fan.  ;D

We should have the Len Griffiths award on RAWK for the moaniest bastard. Be a twat of a job coming up with nominees. Just narrowing it down to a shortlist would be a nighmare  ;D

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41917 on: January 30, 2018, 01:00:33 pm »
We should have the Len Griffiths award on RAWK for the moaniest bastard. Be a twat of a job coming up with nominees. Just narrowing it down to a shortlist would be a nighmare  ;D

Would there be a ceremony and a night out?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41918 on: January 30, 2018, 01:34:38 pm »
Would there be a ceremony and a night out?

Did you ever watch "Early Doors" on the Beeb?

For those who didn't watch it was set in a back street pub in the Manchester area. One of the characters, Tommy, was a miserable old school City fan (before they won the lottery).

The venue would be ideal and Tommy would be the perfect host.

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41919 on: January 30, 2018, 03:25:11 pm »
Did you ever watch "Early Doors" on the Beeb?

For those who didn't watch it was set in a back street pub in the Manchester area. One of the characters, Tommy, was a miserable old school City fan (before they won the lottery).

The venue would be ideal and Tommy would be the perfect host.

I haven't seen it, but sounds like a sticky-carpet pub I was in a few years ago out towards Maine Road.  ;D

I`m in.