Author Topic: Youth and Under 23 Thread  (Read 12370002 times)

Offline Gedo

• Tube Blower.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: So what are these Youth/Reserve Lads like?
« Reply #7360 on: February 28, 2009, 08:26:20 pm »
Arbeloa and Degen, no surprise there, are injured. Carrager had to go in for an ice bath and a massage the last time he played right back, so he shouldn't really be considered an option there anymore. So Benítez plays Skrtel, then Mascherano in that position.

Is there any point in having Steven Darby on the books?
Do you think playing Darby would have changed the Result?

Offline Crazyhorse7778

• Legacy Fan
  • VICTORY!!!
« Reply #7361 on: February 28, 2009, 09:22:32 pm »
Do you think playing Darby would have changed the Result?

Maybe not, but if he can't get a chance in this situation, when will he ever.

And, for the record, I'm fairly sure he would have done better than Skrtel out there.
anyone know what actually happened to ribery's face?
Just a routine tackle by Skrtel

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7362 on: February 28, 2009, 09:27:58 pm »
Arbeloa and Degen, no surprise there, are injured. Carrager had to go in for an ice bath and a massage the last time he played right back, so he shouldn't really be considered an option there anymore. So Benítez plays Skrtel, then Mascherano in that position.

Is there any point in having Steven Darby on the books?

Not to play Darby instead of Skrtel at RB was a bloody joke.

In Rafa we trust hmmm not sure about that when he makes them decisions.

Darby would of offered ten times more than Skrtel at RB.

Offline Gedo

• Tube Blower.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7363 on: February 28, 2009, 09:36:02 pm »
Maybe not, but if he can't get a chance in this situation, when will he ever.

And, for the record, I'm fairly sure he would have done better than Skrtel out there.
Do you really think that an inexperienced Darby would have done better against a seasoned international like Downing?

Offline Crazyhorse7778

• Legacy Fan
  • VICTORY!!!
« Reply #7364 on: February 28, 2009, 09:38:11 pm »
Do you really think that an inexperienced Darby would have done better against a seasoned international like Downing?

I honestly do, yeah. As far as I know Skrtel has never played at right back before and he showed today as he clearly stuggled to contain Downing. I reckon Darby would've dealt with him better, he's a solid enough defender from what I've seen and I was just wondering if he can't get a game in a situation like today, then what is the point?
anyone know what actually happened to ribery's face?
Just a routine tackle by Skrtel

Offline Gedo

• Tube Blower.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7365 on: February 28, 2009, 09:57:21 pm »
I honestly do, yeah. As far as I know Skrtel has never played at right back before and he showed today as he clearly stuggled to contain Downing. I reckon Darby would've dealt with him better, he's a solid enough defender from what I've seen and I was just wondering if he can't get a game in a situation like today, then what is the point?
In Benitez's post match interview,correct me if I'm wrong,Rafa said he asked Carragher about his fitness levels with a view to him playing full back,Carragher said he had "cramps",that's why Skrtel played full back.

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #7366 on: February 28, 2009, 10:06:11 pm »
In Benítez's post match interview,correct me if I'm wrong,Rafa said he asked Carragher about his fitness levels with a view to him playing full back,Carragher said he had "cramps",that's why Skrtel played full back.

... Why the fuck is he playing if he has cramps? Regardless of where on the pitch.

He's been pretty poor (to be kind) all season. ... Is he so untouchable that he plays even when he has cramps? Fucking ridiculous. Should be dropped for form but it seems he's still in the side regardless of fitness, nevermind form.

*shakes head*
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7367 on: February 28, 2009, 10:26:51 pm »
In Benítez's post match interview,correct me if I'm wrong,Rafa said he asked Carragher about his fitness levels with a view to him playing full back,Carragher said he had "cramps",that's why Skrtel played full back.
Thats really not a good answer if that is true.

Skrtel looked like a fish on dry land out there. The decision didnt effect the result but it sure didnt help.
Give the young guy a chance to show what he can do. Fuck, Insua went to Arsenal and was boss. Darby isnt as good but he could have done a job out there.

Offline Gedo

• Tube Blower.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7368 on: February 28, 2009, 10:28:46 pm »
Thats really not a good answer if that is true.

Skrtel looked like a fish on dry land out there. The decision didnt effect the result but it sure didnt help.
I'll be honest,i never heard the interview,my mate said he'd heard it,that's why i said i stand corrected.

Offline LFCfan4Life

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7369 on: February 28, 2009, 11:07:41 pm »
If we were 2-0 up im 100% sure Darby would have got his debut in the PL to blood him

thats what i hate we never seem to get in the position where we are 2-0 up and we have young blood on the bench
Two bulls, one old and one young, standing at the top of a field watching a herd of cows. The young one says, "hey let's run down and fuck one of them", and the older one says, "patience, let's walk down and fuck them all".

JUSTICE 4 THE 96.

Offline -Sad Fuck-

• ... is rather queer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tiny dancer
« Reply #7370 on: March 1, 2009, 12:22:37 am »

... Why the fuck is he playing if he has cramps? Regardless of where on the pitch.

He's been pretty poor (to be kind) all season. ... Is he so untouchable that he plays even when he has cramps? Fucking ridiculous. Should be dropped for form but it seems he's still in the side regardless of fitness, nevermind form.

*shakes head*

You've definitely answered your own question there. Benitez would drop him if he thought the crowd weren't already on his back, some fans anyway.
hi

Offline Strawberry Fields

• Pending....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7371 on: March 1, 2009, 09:20:03 am »

*shakes head*
You've definitely answered your own question there. Benítez would drop him if he thought the crowd weren't already on his back, some fans anyway.
Maybe I misunderstood so I'll ask. Are you suggesting Rafa made a personal decision over a professional one?
« Last Edit: March 1, 2009, 09:31:44 am by Strawberry Fields »

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #7372 on: March 2, 2009, 01:24:24 am »
Here's me thinking Insua was 22 years old for some reason, I've just stuck FM on and I'm on November 2011 and Insua is only 21. Really wondering why he's not played more games this season, he's never let us down on the pitch as far as I can remember and wasn't that youth tournament in January? Shouldn't it be over now? Did he get an injury? Obviously I'd prefer experience in the first team due to these tough times we're going through at the moment but I'm just asking how he is ;)

Offline -Sad Fuck-

• ... is rather queer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tiny dancer
« Reply #7373 on: March 2, 2009, 01:28:50 am »
Maybe, I dunno.

There's no doubting he possesses leadership qualities which no one else in our defence does. I still really rate him, but he's fucking knackered, it's obvious. He's 31, played almost 50 games this season?

Ferguson is rotating between Vidic, Evans and Ferdinand, and it's looking a treat. We need to be doing the same. You don't need to change two/three defenders week in, week out, but the team shouldn't really struggle to adapt when we change one defender, they're too good for that.

In other news, Pacheco's face has been dead for a month, so back in two weeks if all's going to plan?

IF, which I don't hope for, United win on the 14th, I'll have almost given in, the gap could be almost 13 points then. The only positive I can take from that is the fact he'll have some games. Remember last season, Birmingham away, Blackburn home etc....Plessis and Insua got minutes.

Looking at the fixture list, we're at home to Newcastle and away to West Brom late April/early May. He'll be involved if we're no longer in the title race.
hi

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7374 on: March 2, 2009, 02:44:54 am »
Maybe, I dunno.

There's no doubting he possesses leadership qualities which no one else in our defence does. I still really rate him, but he's fucking knackered, it's obvious. He's 31, played almost 50 games this season?

Ferguson is rotating between Vidic, Evans and Ferdinand, and it's looking a treat. We need to be doing the same. You don't need to change two/three defenders week in, week out, but the team shouldn't really struggle to adapt when we change one defender, they're too good for that.

In other news, Pacheco's face has been dead for a month, so back in two weeks if all's going to plan?

IF, which I don't hope for, United win on the 14th, I'll have almost given in, the gap could be almost 13 points then. The only positive I can take from that is the fact he'll have some games. Remember last season, Birmingham away, Blackburn home etc....Plessis and Insua got minutes.

Looking at the fixture list, we're at home to Newcastle and away to West Brom late April/early May. He'll be involved if we're no longer in the title race.

Who ? What ? Where ?

Offline Manila Kop

• TRYING HARD TO FIT IN OOTER
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Greatest Fighter in the World
« Reply #7375 on: March 2, 2009, 03:34:35 am »
Who ? What ? Where ?

Think he means Nemeth...unless I missed Dani getting his face bashed in?
The infallible wank stain
Lolzies. More chance of a wank off the pope than beating United, I'm afraid. It is beyond Benitez, apart from when they were at their lowest ebb, when we knocked them out of the FA Cup. They certainly aren't anywhere near there now.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7376 on: March 2, 2009, 04:27:04 am »
Think he means Nemeth...unless I missed Dani getting his face bashed in?

Oh thought he might have but wasnt sure lol

Yeah would be good to see Nemeth get some game time before the seasons over.

Offline Manila Kop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7377 on: March 3, 2009, 04:45:01 am »
Highlights of our FA Youth Cup game against Bolton:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhUqAg_Aels

Credit goes to certain Beatles fan, you know who you are.  :wave
Lolzies. More chance of a wank off the pope than beating United, I'm afraid. It is beyond Benitez, apart from when they were at their lowest ebb, when we knocked them out of the FA Cup. They certainly aren't anywhere near there now.

Offline St Skrtel

• Kopite
  • Skrtel doesn't smile?
« Reply #7378 on: March 3, 2009, 05:35:53 am »
Gotta love Irwin for that celebration!

Offline Byrneand

• Kopite
« Reply #7379 on: March 4, 2009, 12:53:46 pm »
Apologies up front if I've missed this. Does anyone know when the draw for the semi of the youth cup is?
If you can't walk in a straight line.... you shouldn't be playing for Liverpool. End of

Offline JP-65

• FA/UEFA/FIFA are not fit for purpose
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7380 on: March 4, 2009, 01:04:14 pm »
Apologies up front if I've missed this. Does anyone know when the draw for the semi of the youth cup is?

Done, we play either Birmingham or Ipswich/Watford

The other side of the draw is Spurs/Arsenal & Norwich/Man City
« Last Edit: March 4, 2009, 01:07:17 pm by JP-65 »

Offline Byrneand

• Kopite
« Reply #7381 on: March 4, 2009, 01:17:10 pm »
Thanks mate.

I'm down in London so I'd be keen on some watford action if they get through. Will keep y eyes peeled as it would be good to see the kids in action
If you can't walk in a straight line.... you shouldn't be playing for Liverpool. End of

Offline JoeTwerp

• Leader of the Maryland Vigilante Child Army. Mayor of Twerpville. Population 2
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7382 on: March 4, 2009, 01:42:57 pm »
Done, we play either Birmingham or Ipswich/Watford

The other side of the draw is Spurs/Arsenal & Norwich/Man City

is the first or 2nd leg at Anfield?

Offline richiedouglas

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You feed beefburgers to swans!
« Reply #7383 on: March 4, 2009, 02:02:31 pm »
Man City in the final again then?

Offline JP-65

• FA/UEFA/FIFA are not fit for purpose
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7384 on: March 4, 2009, 02:27:28 pm »
Man City in the final again then?

Highly likely, think they won it last year and are leading our division this season.

Quite an academy going there!

Offline Manila Kop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7385 on: March 4, 2009, 03:08:57 pm »
Highly likely, think they won it last year and are leading our division this season.

Quite an academy going there!

You wonder how the new owners are going to affect the flow of talents to the first team though.

Offline Mr_Morosoph

• Moaning bed wetter, cry wanks for Torres
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7386 on: March 4, 2009, 08:36:10 pm »
is the first or 2nd leg at Anfield?

2nd
"I was pleased also with Peter Crouch. We have been talking to him, before and after his nose operation, to show more confidence with his heading.

"Now it seems to have worked. Lets say that if he has a few games without scoring again, maybe we should arrange to break his nose again."

Rafa.

Offline JoeTwerp

• Leader of the Maryland Vigilante Child Army. Mayor of Twerpville. Population 2
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7387 on: March 5, 2009, 03:10:31 pm »
   Liverpool Reserves suffered their first defeat of 2009 after losing 2-0 against MLS champions Columbus Crew in an entertaining friendly encounter at the Academy this afternoon.
Gary Ablett's men gave a good account of themselves throughout the contest but were eventually undone by an impressive second-half performance from the American side as goals from Alejandro Moreno and Guillermo Barros Schelotto clinched a memorable Merseyside double for the men from Ohio.

The Reds had gone into the clash expecting a serious test after the MLS champions - who are managed by former Everton winger Robert Warzycha - ran riot in a 5-1 thumping of the Blues' second-string last Sunday.

And it proved to be the case too as the away side created the better of the openings in a tight first period.

Robbie Rogers went close with a near post drive that Dean Bouzanis got down well to gather after just 60 seconds before a dangerous left-wing free-kick from Schelotto was brilliantly defended by Martin Kelly at the far post.

Victor Palsson then drilled just wide with a speculative 30 yarder on 25 minutes for the Reds while another Schelotto cross was guided inches wide of the near post by Eddie Gaven.

The Crew were looking the more likely to break the deadlock and Schelotto thrashed a low drive from a tight angle against the outside of the post after some neat play by Moreno.

Gaven then showed good feet to beat Steven Irwin before sending over a clever cross that Moreno could only guide over the top under pressure from Kelly.

Given the balance of play Ablett would have been happy to have gone in at the interval all-square until he saw his side squander the best chance of the half on 44 minutes.

Jay Spearing broke through the away side's stubborn rearguard with a powerful run and after seeing his initial shot well saved, squared the ball for Andras Simon, whose tame effort was hacked off the line.

It was a big chance for the Reds and one they would regret within five minutes of the restart when the MLS champions snatched the lead.

Good play down the left between Gino Padula and Rogers saw the latter send over a devilish cross that fell kindly for Schelotto on the edge of the home side's penalty area. The Argentine composed himself before unleashing a low shot that Bouzanis could only parry straight to Moreno who gleefully slotted home the rebound.

The Venezuelan had been on the end of most of The Crew's best moves and he should have doubled their advantage two minutes later but he shot straight at Bouzanis after finding space on the left-hand side of the penalty area.

Liverpool struggled to create any opening of note and eventually found themselves two behind on 65 minutes when Gaven held off the challenge of two Reds defenders to play in Schelotto, who made no mistake with a cool finish into the far corner of the net.

With the game seemingly over the Reds suddenly stepped up a gear and Dani Pacheco twice went close to reducing the arrears with a shot against the post and an in-swinging free-kick that the keeper had to be at full stretch to keep out.

But it was too little, too late for Ablett's men who will now hope to regroup ahead of next week's Barclays Premier Reserve League North clash at home to Manchester United.

Liverpool Reserves: Dean Bouzanis, Martin Kelly (Ronald Huth 46), Mikel San Jose, Steven Irwin, Emmanuel Mendy (Andre Wisdom 75), Gerardo Bruna (Vincent Weijl 12), Damien Plessis (David Amoo 56) , Jay Spearing, Victor Palsson, Dani Pacheco, Andras Simon (Vitor Flora 46).

Liverpoolfc.tv Man of the Match: Dean Bouzanis. Produced a string of fine saves to keep the scoreline down.

Offline JoeTwerp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7388 on: March 5, 2009, 03:12:18 pm »
little worried that Bruna went off after 12.

Schelotto is a great player in America. And Robbie Rogers is a nice young winger with loads of pace (went to same school as me too)  Considering how much we were changing the team around in the game, a 2-0 loss isn't too bad.

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #7389 on: March 5, 2009, 03:50:07 pm »
still a surprise to lose to the septics - did anyone see the game?

also any news on bruna?

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7390 on: March 5, 2009, 05:55:37 pm »
Good to see Amoo getting some playing time for the reserves as well.

Offline Manila Kop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7391 on: March 5, 2009, 06:23:05 pm »
still a surprise to lose to the septics - did anyone see the game?

also any news on bruna?

How do you mean losing to the septics mate?  The Americans?

Schellotto's been a great player for the Crew, MVP last season I believe.  It's a good test for our reserves and precisely the kind of friendlies we should be arranging.  I wonder who's been in charge of scheduling all of these this season?  Anyone know?

Offline JoeTwerp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7392 on: March 5, 2009, 06:53:04 pm »
spetic tank    yank.    Maybe they just scheduled a game with everton and beat them so bad they figured they would play us while they were around. ;D

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7393 on: March 5, 2009, 06:59:12 pm »
Arsenal v Tottenham in the youth cup is tonight by the way. i think i might watch it, see how good the potential competition is

Offline RedSandgrounder

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7394 on: March 5, 2009, 07:13:59 pm »
I wonder if Andy Iro played for Columbus Crew, I believe he's a Liverpool lad, played for Southport Reserves at one point I believe.
PSN: DHitchers

Offline Pankaka

• Kopite
« Reply #7395 on: March 7, 2009, 11:20:47 am »
Quote from: John Owens
As for the rest of the week, Monday morning saw the likes of David Amoo, Lauri Dalla Valle and Nathan Eccleston head up to Melwood to train with the players and staff there.

Encouraging news.

Delighted for Amoo who has been immense this month.
At half time, 2-0 down to Manchester City 05/10/08
Quote from: heather123
If we win, I will eat my own head.  Seriously.
We went on to win the game... ;D

Offline Waterloo Phil

• Cheeky bleeder. Thinks the mods are here to answer to his beck and call
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ya Get Me
« Reply #7396 on: March 7, 2009, 11:38:47 am »
I wonder if Andy Iro played for Columbus Crew, I believe he's a Liverpool lad, played for Southport Reserves at one point I believe.

na he never , he didnt play against everton either

Offline Stanfo

• Sleeping with the Enemy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7397 on: March 7, 2009, 01:51:56 pm »
A very good and exceptionally accurate account of life within the academy football system.

www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/4938593/Football-academies-kicking-and-screaming.html

Offline STORMTROOPER

• RAWK Pedagogue.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7398 on: March 7, 2009, 06:14:57 pm »
anyone know if the u18s played today?

Offline Manila Kop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7399 on: March 7, 2009, 06:23:46 pm »
A very good and exceptionally accurate account of life within the academy football system.

www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/4938593/Football-academies-kicking-and-screaming.html

Great read that, thanks for posting.