Author Topic: SLR Cameras - recommendations and advice  (Read 148843 times)

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: SLR Cameras - recommendations and advice
« Reply #1080 on: March 23, 2014, 10:07:48 pm »
Anyone wanna buy my Nikon D60?
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1081 on: March 30, 2014, 11:45:14 am »
Technically this shouldn't be in the 'SLR' thread.  But if anyone is planning on getting a semi-pro system you should look beyond Nikon/Canon/Sony and check out the Fuji XT-1.  I've been a longtime fan of the x100 and have owned one for a while.  Will be selling it now and getting the XT-1 with a couple of primes for personal work.  It's a fantastic step forward for digital photography.

Nothing that Nikon or Canon offer at that price can compete.  It's what the Nikon df should've been.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #1082 on: March 30, 2014, 12:04:57 pm »
It's also exactly what Olympus have been offering with the OM-D E-M5 and now with the pro-sumer level OM-D E-M1. Canon and Nikon are well behind the curve here, you're right, but crediting this step forward to Fuji (when Olympus and Panasonic were the ones who made the step) is a little unfair. M4/3 still carries by far the bast range of glass in the mirrorless format also.
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1083 on: March 30, 2014, 10:53:26 pm »
I didn't claim that they invented it - I'm merely saying that with the XT1 they've taken a massive leap forward for mirrorless cameras.

The OM-D EM-5 is nowhere near as good in my experience - granted I only had a few hours with it. . Image quality and colour reproduction is not as good in my opinion, and coming from my DSLRs it was hopeless in low light in terms of both focusing ability and noise whereas the XT1 is more than acceptable.  The Sony A7 is a lovely camera but too slow to focus for my liking. I've not used an EM-1 but it's not really in a comparable price range is it?

In terms of glass, the Fuji X lenses are incredible for the price.  The 35mm equivalent blew me away.  I showed a facebook group 10 images.  5 from the D4 and 5 from the XT-1.  No one could accurately tell which was which. 

The viewfinder is an absolute triumph. It almost felt like cheating using it.   

The XT-1 is maybe one generation away from making us consider ditching about £30k worth of Nikon system. The only things dissuading me is the choice of glass and the single card slot.  My df lasted 1 month before I sold it on. Like every Nikon high end camera since the D3s it is horribly compromised when it could've been brilliant. 

Offline Sweeney94

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #1085 on: April 9, 2014, 09:27:48 am »
I really have no idea when it comes to camera's but I'm looking for a pretty cheap camera that takes old-looking photos.

Holga. Look em up.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1086 on: April 9, 2014, 10:46:23 pm »
I have a few Holgas, the wide pinhole and the standard 120 with 4 colour flash. They'll take photos quite a bit rougher than the ones linked and be a bit more extreme. Love my holgas. I've also got a 35mm sprocket rocket which is awesome too.

Any 35mm compact should be able to take low contrast images like these, especially if loaded up with some cheap 400/800 ISO film.

If you want some vintage SLR action, have a look at some of the soviet cameras you can get on eBay, some crackers on there. I have a Zorki 6 (35mm M39 Mount), Franka Solida I (120 folder) and a Zenit E (35mm M42 Mount). I love them all, so much character in comparison to today's sterile machines.

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1087 on: April 19, 2014, 09:59:40 am »
I love film so much but it's expensive.  You can get great film cameras for next to nothing but you still need to pay for film and developing and scanning (unless you develop yourself).  Just shot through 20 roles of Fuji 400H on a wee holiday in France.  Can't wait to see the results.

It's not the same but you could get a copy of Alien Skin Exposure and edit your digital stuff.  Doesn't have the same satisfaction but much cheaper and you can get great results. 

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1089 on: April 21, 2014, 09:49:53 am »
VSCO film is another option.  Works with LR and ACR.  Does a decent job of replicating film but obviously no match for the real thing.  LR grain looks like shit though.  Alien Skin Exposure does a much better job in that respect.

I've bought expired film off ebay for some experiments.  It's a total lottery.  Same films, same time out of date, can give wildly different results.

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1090 on: April 21, 2014, 01:43:09 pm »
Shot with a Leica M8 and a Summilux 50/1.4 this weekend. Brilliant combination but challenging to get to grips with, especially for party candids.

Offline LOKKO

• Legacy Fan
  • what chu talkin' bout willis?
« Reply #1091 on: April 24, 2014, 11:04:16 am »
I have had my canon 450d for nearly 18 months now and I'm looking to upgrade, think about getting a 60d or 600d has anyone used either which should I go for?

Offline El Phes

• Answers to Judith, but only on Thurdays.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Portraits / Weddings / Commercial / Events
« Reply #1092 on: April 24, 2014, 02:56:56 pm »
I think you'd have more success going for the 60D over the 600D, but have you thought about the 6D?

Offline LOKKO

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1093 on: April 25, 2014, 09:16:25 am »
I think you'd have more success going for the 60D over the 600D, but have you thought about the 6D?

I think the 6D is too much I can't afford that at the minute, I would be getting one of the other two second hand anyway

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1094 on: April 26, 2014, 02:00:59 am »
I have had my canon 450d for nearly 18 months now and I'm looking to upgrade, think about getting a 60d or 600d has anyone used either which should I go for?
I have the 650D, would much rather have the 60D though, it is far superior in every department.

Offline Prelude no.5

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • op.23. Thanks for everything Rafa
« Reply #1095 on: April 26, 2014, 10:32:35 am »
I have the 650D, would much rather have the 60D though, it is far superior in every department.

I concur. Going from the 450D to the 650D is more like an aesthetic upgrade more than anything.

The 60D is a level upwards.
"We gave the fans the pride. Again. We fight for the fans, we fight for the club and we fight for our players. Maybe he cannot understand this." ~ Rafa Benitez

Offline LOKKO

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1096 on: April 28, 2014, 01:12:09 pm »
I went and had a look at a 60d on the weekend, much better build quality than my current camera, £325  for a used body with 12 months warranty is that a good price?

Offline Prelude no.5

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1097 on: April 28, 2014, 01:41:32 pm »
It's £384 brand new here.

Don't know if you've heard about this site but it's where I get my SLR related purchases done. Exceptional prices which can't be beat I suppose.

http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mainproduct.php?pid=11920
"We gave the fans the pride. Again. We fight for the fans, we fight for the club and we fight for our players. Maybe he cannot understand this." ~ Rafa Benitez

Offline LOKKO

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1098 on: May 1, 2014, 06:33:49 pm »
It's £384 brand new here.

Don't know if you've heard about this site but it's where I get my SLR related purchases done. Exceptional prices which can't be beat I suppose.

http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mainproduct.php?pid=11920

Showing a different price on that site now and the place I saw the used one has sold it, I'll have to keep an eye out

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1099 on: May 2, 2014, 01:40:40 am »
Say hello to my little fwends!!!

Offline the oxonian

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1100 on: May 2, 2014, 10:21:57 am »
Say hello to my little fwends!!!

$80 for cash!

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1101 on: May 2, 2014, 05:50:25 pm »
That makes me feel a little bit less guilty.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1102 on: May 2, 2014, 06:15:55 pm »
Is that an 85mm Jupiter 9 in the middle there? I'd love to get my hands on one of them.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1103 on: May 2, 2014, 09:19:54 pm »
Is that an 85mm Jupiter 9 in the middle there? I'd love to get my hands on one of them.

Sure is. Amazing bokeh due to 15 blade iris. There's a Tair 11a in the picture too...20 blades!!

Offline the oxonian

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1104 on: May 2, 2014, 09:59:47 pm »
Timiano, do you have to have loads of different mounts , or are allot of your lenses interchangeable between makes ?

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1105 on: May 2, 2014, 11:11:56 pm »
Hi mate. I use micro four thirds for my base for digital. I have 3 mFT cameras, GH2, GF3 and Blackmagic Cinema Camera.

I then have several mounts, some expensive some not so much. Cheap ones are MFT to M39, M42, FD. More expensive is MFT to Nikon G as it has an aperture control lever. The most expensive are the Metabones Speedboosters as they contain an inline condensing lens designed to use more of the image circle that is projected from a lens designed for a full frame camera onto a smaller sensor.

Crop factor on mFT is typically 2x. With the Speedboosters (0.71x) that becomes 1.4x. Net result is more light, so faster lense, wider field of view and resulting narrowing of depth if field.

Speedboosters are around £350, but if you think about what it does to all my lenses it's pretty good value. My 1.4 becomes a 1.0, 2.0 a 1.2, 2.8 a 2.0. That makes seriously fast glass for little outlay.especially with my Canon FDs.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1106 on: May 3, 2014, 10:09:07 am »
What would you say are the must-have native MFT lenses, Tim?

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1107 on: May 3, 2014, 07:38:11 pm »
What would you say are the must-have native MFT lenses, Tim?

Depends what you're doing. I think what epitomises the system though is the 20/1.7 pancake. I'm a big fan of vintage though where I would say the Helios 44m-2 (58mm, M42 mount) is a must have for the cost.

Offline Prelude no.5

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1108 on: May 4, 2014, 10:05:53 am »
Depends what you're doing. I think what epitomises the system though is the 20/1.7 pancake. I'm a big fan of vintage though where I would say the Helios 44m-2 (58mm, M42 mount) is a must have for the cost.

That Helios can be found pretty cheap on ebay and the like.

It's a lovely lens and it's bokeh is especially beautiful. It was a staple lens on my digital canon for a number of months. Had some trouble with flare and glaring but sometimes it just added to the lens' character.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1109 on: May 4, 2014, 11:44:59 am »
Which M42 > MFT adapter do you have, Tim?

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1110 on: May 4, 2014, 07:38:52 pm »
Cheap eBay jobby. M42 screw mount is quite forgiving and easy to shim. I tried a FD to M42 adapter for my FD Speedbooster but it was too slack.

I'm using the Mir 1B (37/2.8), Helios 44-2 (58/2.0), Jupiter 8 (85/2.0) and Tair 11a (135/2.8).

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1111 on: May 4, 2014, 07:40:43 pm »
Nice tips. Bookmarking this page now as you might be about to start me on a new obsession!

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1112 on: May 5, 2014, 01:27:19 am »

The Helios is probably the best bargain in the world of photography. You can even sometimes get one with a zenit film camera for about a tenner on ebay. Lovely little lens. I use mine on Sony alphas with a simple ring adapter.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1113 on: May 7, 2014, 10:41:55 am »
13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1114 on: May 7, 2014, 12:58:26 pm »
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NIKON-D50-SIGMA-28-105-LENS-STRAP-512MB-SD-BATTERY-CHARGER-/380747361486?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_DigitalCameras_DigitalCameras_JN&hash=item58a64facce

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OLYMPUS-E-410-14-42-40-150-mm-LENS-STRAP-1GB-XD-BATTERY-CHARGER-/380763093472?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_DigitalCameras_DigitalCameras_JN&hash=item58a73fb9e0

Would these be a good first DSLR ?

Was hoping to spend sub 200, but could stretch for the extra lens included.

Looking to make the leap, but not really wanting to shove decent money at it until I'm a bit more familiar.

:)

Both very good in their day. Both very, very old now. In principle, the idea of learning the ropes on an old body is fine, and you'll have the lenses if you want or need to upgrade, which is good.

I'd be very wary of buying any digital camera that's more than 5 years old, though. (The Olympus is about 7 and the Nikon nearly 10!) They simply aren't built to last that long. Now it could be that the D60 has been sat on a shelf unused for a decade, but it could also be that it is very near to the end of its usefulness. After about 50,000 pictures have been shot, the shutter can fail at any time. Some last a lot longer, but it's a gamble, and the cost of repair would be more than the camera is worth.

Maybe have a look at something like this instead:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-alpha-A37-16-1-MP-Digital-SLR-Camera-18-55mm-F-3-5-5-6-Kit-Lens-/201080976899?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_DigitalCameras_DigitalCameras_JN&hash=item2ed15c3603

It's a much more recent model which means it will last you a lot longer, picture quality will be far better and it has all sorts of features that were undreamed of when the D60 came out, even though it's the "entry level" Sony, it's going to outperform the D60 in every department. (24MP vs 6MP to begin with.)

If you really want to learn from cheap old gear, you could pick up a film SLR for £20 and play with it.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1115 on: May 7, 2014, 03:08:11 pm »
Both very good in their day. Both very, very old now. In principle, the idea of learning the ropes on an old body is fine, and you'll have the lenses if you want or need to upgrade, which is good.

I'd be very wary of buying any digital camera that's more than 5 years old, though. (The Olympus is about 7 and the Nikon nearly 10!) They simply aren't built to last that long. Now it could be that the D60 has been sat on a shelf unused for a decade, but it could also be that it is very near to the end of its usefulness. After about 50,000 pictures have been shot, the shutter can fail at any time. Some last a lot longer, but it's a gamble, and the cost of repair would be more than the camera is worth.

Maybe have a look at something like this instead:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-alpha-A37-16-1-MP-Digital-SLR-Camera-18-55mm-F-3-5-5-6-Kit-Lens-/201080976899?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_DigitalCameras_DigitalCameras_JN&hash=item2ed15c3603

It's a much more recent model which means it will last you a lot longer, picture quality will be far better and it has all sorts of features that were undreamed of when the D60 came out, even though it's the "entry level" Sony, it's going to outperform the D60 in every department. (24MP vs 6MP to begin with.)

If you really want to learn from cheap old gear, you could pick up a film SLR for £20 and play with it.

Thanks, I think I'll start to look for the newer ones then.

Been wanting one for ages, just never got started, holiday in Skye coming up in a few weeks so I want one in my hands and to be fairly familiar with it before then.

Not particularly bothered about 'perceived' quality, most cameras will be better than my eyes anyway. Just after a good solid starting point.
 :)
13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1116 on: May 7, 2014, 04:27:56 pm »
Seems to be my main contribution to this thread to tell novices to consider purchasing a Micro Four Thirds CSC rather than a DSLR. I'll do it again. L666 KOP, you should consider a M4/3 camera instead of a DSLR. You could get a Lumix G2 for £200.
« Last Edit: May 7, 2014, 04:36:45 pm by ۩ Imperator ۩ »

Offline L666KOP

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1117 on: May 7, 2014, 04:48:11 pm »
Seems to be my main contribution to this thread to tell novices to consider purchasing a Micro Four Thirds CSC rather than a DSLR. I'll do it again. L666 KOP, you should consider a M4/3 camera instead of a DSLR. You could get a Lumix G2 for £200.

What's the difference ?

I can get a 6 month old G3 for less than the 200 pounds I'm aiming to pay.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1118 on: May 7, 2014, 04:56:22 pm »
What's the difference ?

I can get a 6 month old G3 for less than the 200 pounds I'm aiming to pay.

Main differences are size, (4/3 systems are a lot smaller) viewfinder (4/3 systems don't have them, which would put me right off) slower Autofocus and poorer low-light performance. If none of that bothers you, fill your boots!

Whatever you buy, bear in mind that once you've got your first camera and a couple of lenses, you'll probably find that you want to stick with the system even if you need to upgrade, or you'll have to replace your lenses, which can get expensive.

If you decide that a Micro 4/3 system is all the camera you'll ever need then it makes sense. If you think you might like to move up to something higher quality in future, you'd be a bit stuck.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline L666KOP

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1119 on: May 7, 2014, 05:19:46 pm »
Main differences are size, (4/3 systems are a lot smaller) viewfinder (4/3 systems don't have them, which would put me right off) slower Autofocus and poorer low-light performance. If none of that bothers you, fill your boots!

Whatever you buy, bear in mind that once you've got your first camera and a couple of lenses, you'll probably find that you want to stick with the system even if you need to upgrade, or you'll have to replace your lenses, which can get expensive.

If you decide that a Micro 4/3 system is all the camera you'll ever need then it makes sense. If you think you might like to move up to something higher quality in future, you'd be a bit stuck.

Ok, cheers.

So, if I go DSLR would it be best to choose a make that I'll stay with ?

Lenses and accessories are make specific I take it, no interchangability ?