Author Topic: SLR Cameras - recommendations and advice  (Read 148665 times)

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
Re: SLR Cameras - recommendations and advice
« Reply #1200 on: September 25, 2014, 12:29:39 pm »
Just got some new kit recently (having gone "pro" in the summer)

Sony A77ii. I haven't even started to scratch the surface of what this thing can do, but it's blown me away. I am in love. Saw the pre-launch excitement about the new Canon 7Dmkii, which looks to be a very similar camera for about £500 more. There are pros and cons to each, of course, but I can't see how the Canon is actually worth 50% more than the Sony, I just can't.

Tamron 70-300mm Di f./4-5.6 arrived today. Going to have a lot of fun with that.

Nex 3 I picked up off eBay for very little, just to mess about with really.

OM 100-500mm lens I got for a tenner in a closing down sale at a cash converters. Got an adapter on it for the NEX, which creates a very strange looking beast of a massive 2kg lens on a compact sized body. (Have to lift it by the lens, obvs, or the mount would probably sheer straight off.) Thinking of trying out some astro photography with that at some point. The moon should look pretty good at 500mm on an APSC sensor. And I can do a few bicep curls with the thing when it goes behind a cloud.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline WestScotlandRed

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1201 on: September 30, 2014, 01:40:58 pm »
Bought a d3300 as a replacement for my stolen d3000. I am not going to go beyond clicking whats possible with this camera and hence the same platform. Anyways, I already have the 55-200, in addition to the default 18-55. Can anyone recommend an affordable Macro objective?

Hi Forum\ChaChaMooMoo,

I am looking to purchase my 1st SLR. I had the money saved up for the Nikon D3100, then the TV went and the money had to be used there. I am nearly in a position to buy the camera again but see newer models released, the D3200 and D3300.

The equivalent at the time was a Cannon 1100D, I think but I had settled on the Nikon. Since these changes and with an approx. £350-£400 to spend on my first SLR, would you be recommending the D3300 or is there others worth considering?

Thanks in advance,

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1202 on: October 1, 2014, 01:34:46 pm »
There are always other options, especially if you take mirrorless cameras into account.

At the moment, it looks like the Nikon D3300 is probably the best entry level DSLR out there. It has marginally better specs than Canon's 100D or Sony's A58. That said, the differences will be very, very minor, you probably wouldn't be able to tell from the finished photos which camera they came from.

If you can, try to get to a shop and see what feels best in your hand, that's where the major difference will be in your experience as a beginner to DSLR cameras. All the current models will deliver excellent photos if you use them properly.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline WestScotlandRed

• Kemlynite
« Reply #1203 on: October 1, 2014, 02:59:53 pm »
There are always other options, especially if you take mirrorless cameras into account.

At the moment, it looks like the Nikon D3300 is probably the best entry level DSLR out there. It has marginally better specs than Canon's 100D or Sony's A58. That said, the differences will be very, very minor, you probably wouldn't be able to tell from the finished photos which camera they came from.

If you can, try to get to a shop and see what feels best in your hand, that's where the major difference will be in your experience as a beginner to DSLR cameras. All the current models will deliver excellent photos if you use them properly.

Hi Nessy76,

Thanks for the response, really appreciated. Previously when I was looking I felt more comfortable with the Nikon D3100 over the Canon 1100D. Another browse in the shop, handling the newer kit is a good idea. The last comment is probably the most important. - Learning to use the camera properly. In the spirit of sharing knowledge and helping others like you have done here is a few links I have started to glean my knowledge from, I hope it can help some on here;

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com

http://www.exposureguide.com

PS - Goldenball's is awesome .... .... STEAL STEAL STEAL ... every time :)

Thanks again.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1204 on: October 8, 2014, 11:38:53 am »
Well, I'm disappointed,  no pro body, no af on button,  only 6.5fps, seems more like a D610 with better af than a D700 replacement.

Couldnt disagree more. The body feels 'pro' build and is ergonomically great to use. You can program the af lock to be an af-on - the distance of the button from the grip feels the same as my nikon d4. What do you need more than 6.5fps for? Again im used to a D4 but find 6.5fps totally acceptable. The af, metering, awb and dr are all incredible. I cant think of a single thing that would make me choose a d700 over it (and i used to love my d700 bodies).

Mine is arriving today. Ten mins in a shop with one was enough to convince me. This will be nikons most important body since the d700.

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1205 on: October 13, 2014, 12:14:57 pm »
D750 is my new favourite camera.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1206 on: October 20, 2014, 05:46:10 am »
My daughter is upgrading her camera body (cannon) is there any value in the old body? (ít's a cannon EOS - about 5 years old in well used but not battered condition). She's in the U.S so can get a Cannon 7D for $999
Is it normal for dealers to offer part ex?

Thanks if anyone has done that.

Offline El Phes

• Answers to Judith, but only on Thurdays.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Portraits / Weddings / Commercial / Events
« Reply #1207 on: October 20, 2014, 11:21:24 am »
Not sure about the US but London Camera Exchange here in the UK will do a part ex or they'll even buy the camera off her without her buying a new camera from them. But, they sell the 2nd hand kit in their own shops so she probably won't get the price she's looking for. Ebay or similar is probably better.

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline Dowahwiddy

• diddy doo diddy dey do doh dondey doh
  • Main Stander
« Reply #1209 on: November 6, 2014, 02:35:13 pm »
Thoughts on this?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Olympus-OM-D-Compact-M-Zuiko-Digital/dp/B00HWRHC0K/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1415226970&sr=8-7&keywords=mirrorless+camera

I bought one at launch and love it. Great little camera and easy to customise one you get to grips with the Olympus menu systems. The EZ kit lens makes it a very portable set up that will slip into a small bag/large pocket. Some very nice features such as live composite plus all the sort of features you'll  find on most DSLR. The 3axis image stabilisation works perfectly and latest firmware updated any issues some people had with shutter shock. The only negative things about it are the Olympus menus aren't the most intuitive and the amount of customisation can be confusing at first. The kit lens is adequate for A4 prints but you'll want some different glass if you really want to get the best out of the camera. Overall I'm delighted with mine and would recommend it.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1211 on: November 6, 2014, 07:43:06 pm »
I bought one at launch and love it. Great little camera and easy to customise one you get to grips with the Olympus menu systems. The EZ kit lens makes it a very portable set up that will slip into a small bag/large pocket. Some very nice features such as live composite plus all the sort of features you'll  find on most DSLR. The 3axis image stabilisation works perfectly and latest firmware updated any issues some people had with shutter shock. The only negative things about it are the Olympus menus aren't the most intuitive and the amount of customisation can be confusing at first. The kit lens is adequate for A4 prints but you'll want some different glass if you really want to get the best out of the camera. Overall I'm delighted with mine and would recommend it.
Yep, great little camera.

Also have a look at this before you buy, though.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Interchangeable-Digital-Camera-SELP1650/dp/B00IE9XHE0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415290309&sr=8-1&keywords=sony+a6000
Cheers guys, bought the Olympus.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #1212 on: November 6, 2014, 08:34:25 pm »
Nice one. Welcome to the Micro Four Thirds family. :wave
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1213 on: November 6, 2014, 08:55:19 pm »
Cheers guys, bought the Olympus.

Nice one. Welcome to the Micro Four Thirds family. :wave

And when you decide you want a grownup sized sensor, pop back and see us.  ;)
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1214 on: November 6, 2014, 09:39:31 pm »
Twelfth Man, you should join this group on Facebook (if you are on FB). It is a great place to learn more about the OM-Ds' capabilities and to share and view some fantastic photos taken with them. I find it really inspiring and it gives me loads of ideas. https://m.facebook.com/groups/482933475079982?ref=bookmark

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1215 on: November 6, 2014, 10:04:39 pm »
Twelfth Man, you should join this group on Facebook (if you are on FB). It is a great place to learn more about the OM-Ds' capabilities and to share and view some fantastic photos taken with them. I find it really inspiring and it gives me loads of ideas. https://m.facebook.com/groups/482933475079982?ref=bookmark
Cheers dude, I disabled my FB, but might start it again. Will look for groups on Flickr etc. Had one of the very first Canon SLR's that came out, ebayed it and have been making do with my 5 year -old Lumix compact, think this will be a good bridge to a full sensor camera down the line. Will check in the photography threads on here.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1216 on: November 6, 2014, 10:51:29 pm »
Cheers dude, I disabled my FB, but might start it again. Will look for groups on Flickr etc. Had one of the very first Canon SLR's that came out, ebayed it and have been making do with my 5 year -old Lumix compact, think this will be a good bridge to a full sensor camera down the line. Will check in the photography threads on here.

Flickr's still a good resource, but the discussion side of it has really fallen off in the last couple of years.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1217 on: November 27, 2014, 10:15:52 pm »
Any got a Canon G16? Thinking of getting one for the missus. Shes not the best with technology but needs a good camera for hair and make up shots

Offline Samio

• Displeased Hermaphrodite
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1218 on: December 1, 2014, 06:02:23 pm »
Evening people... Just wondering if anyone could offer any advice. Basically debating between a couple of camera's and wondering if paying an extra £80 is worth it. Or if there are any other, better options available... Two camera's are...

http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/Digital_Camera/PowerShot/PowerShot_SX510_HS/#p-specification1 - £119.99

http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/Digital_Camera/PowerShot/PowerShot_SX50HS/ - £199.99
« Last Edit: December 1, 2014, 06:09:16 pm by Samio »

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1219 on: December 1, 2014, 08:17:05 pm »
Evening people... Just wondering if anyone could offer any advice. Basically debating between a couple of camera's and wondering if paying an extra £80 is worth it. Or if there are any other, better options available... Two camera's are...

http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/Digital_Camera/PowerShot/PowerShot_SX510_HS/#p-specification1 - £119.99

http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/Digital_Camera/PowerShot/PowerShot_SX50HS/ - £199.99

Not really familiar with either, but from the specs, the major difference seems to be the 50x optical zoom on the sx50 against just 30x on the sx510. If you plan to shoot birds or wildlife or anything that needs a long zoom then that's a huge difference. If you're just taking pictures of the family/ holiday, probably not.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline LOKKO

• Legacy Fan
  • what chu talkin' bout willis?
« Reply #1220 on: July 30, 2015, 11:37:21 am »
Is it worth upgrading my canon 60d to a 5d mk ii?

Offline MolbysBigBelly

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1221 on: August 1, 2015, 02:28:18 pm »
Samio, the more expensive one also has raw image capability.

"I believed them fellas."
Thank you, Mr. Moores.

Online cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1222 on: August 2, 2015, 12:26:13 am »

If your main interest is image quality, yes. If it's not...it's much more complicated. What do you do with the camera mostly?

Offline LOKKO

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1223 on: August 2, 2015, 02:02:47 am »
If your main interest is image quality, yes. If it's not...it's much more complicated. What do you do with the camera mostly?
Mostly do landscape and some night stuff if I can get places on clear nights

Online cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1224 on: August 2, 2015, 08:56:25 pm »
Mostly do landscape and some night stuff if I can get places on clear nights

Well then functionally you're not losing anything with the 5D2 (you don't need a rapid-fire shutter or a billion AF points, for example). Do you have a lot of lenses? Moving to full-frame is awesome, but one thing you'll find from a landscape perspective is that wide-angle lenses with good corner-to-corner sharpness are much more expensive (and large) than their APS-C counterparts. You would definitely get a big improvement in low-light image quality, though.

If you're not particularly invested (financially or emotionally) in Canon, there are lots of better cameras out there for landscape photography. The Nikon D7200 has an awesome sensor (though I hate Nikon cameras operation-wise) and the Sony A6000 is nearly the same but in a tiny mirrorless package.

Having said all of that, I used to have both a 40D and a 5D2, and I loved them both. The 5D2 is sitting at around $900 on the used market right now, which I think is absolutely a fair price. I just can't stand big cameras anymore! In fact, my current favorite landscape camera is my Ricoh GR, which is about as far from the 5D2 as you can get.

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #1225 on: August 4, 2015, 12:21:02 pm »

Depends on your current lens setup as well.  Some Canon lenses won't work on the a full frame camera like a 5D MkII so it could end up being an expensive upgrade.  If you do low light work then the 5D MKII would be a good upgrade, but again, it depends on your lens line up and budget.  It's possible that you might be better investing in another good lens for your 60d.

Offline LOKKO

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1226 on: August 4, 2015, 03:52:02 pm »
Well then functionally you're not losing anything with the 5D2 (you don't need a rapid-fire shutter or a billion AF points, for example). Do you have a lot of lenses? Moving to full-frame is awesome, but one thing you'll find from a landscape perspective is that wide-angle lenses with good corner-to-corner sharpness are much more expensive (and large) than their APS-C counterparts. You would definitely get a big improvement in low-light image quality, though.

If you're not particularly invested (financially or emotionally) in Canon, there are lots of better cameras out there for landscape photography. The Nikon D7200 has an awesome sensor (though I hate Nikon cameras operation-wise) and the Sony A6000 is nearly the same but in a tiny mirrorless package.

Having said all of that, I used to have both a 40D and a 5D2, and I loved them both. The 5D2 is sitting at around $900 on the used market right now, which I think is absolutely a fair price. I just can't stand big cameras anymore! In fact, my current favorite landscape camera is my Ricoh GR, which is about as far from the 5D2 as you can get.
I currently I have a canon 50mm a sigma 10-20mm and an opteka fisheye the last two I will be selling as they don't work on the full frame to put the money towards a lens for the 5d should I upgrade... Not really attached to canon so I could look at Sony,nikon but the reason I got canon is because my mates use them and we borrow lenses of each other.

The camera I might be buying is from my mates dad its mint i wouldn't even say it has has 3000 shots taken on it and its a decent price

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1227 on: August 4, 2015, 07:45:42 pm »
I currently I have a canon 50mm a sigma 10-20mm and an opteka fisheye the last two I will be selling as they don't work on the full frame to put the money towards a lens for the 5d should I upgrade... Not really attached to canon so I could look at Sony,nikon but the reason I got canon is because my mates use them and we borrow lenses of each other.

The camera I might be buying is from my mates dad its mint i wouldn't even say it has has 3000 shots taken on it and its a decent price

You can use Canon lenses on some of the newer Sony mirrorless cameras with the right adapter. Sounds like you've got a good deal lined up for the 5d already, though.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Online cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1228 on: August 8, 2015, 12:28:44 am »

It's always nice to have lenses to borrow, and if the deal is good for the 5D2 you really can't go wrong with it. I loved mine and miss it in many ways.

If you're looking to replace that Sigma (and get a good night-scene landscape lens in the process) I'd suggest checking out the Samyang 14mm f/2.8 (also sold under the Bower, Rokinon, Wallimex, and I think Phoenix labels). It's manual focus and has some fixable distortion issues, but crazy sharp and dirt cheap. Then work your way up to the Canon 16-35/4L, which is awesome.

Offline LOKKO

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1229 on: August 9, 2015, 04:46:54 pm »
It's always nice to have lenses to borrow, and if the deal is good for the 5D2 you really can't go wrong with it. I loved mine and miss it in many ways.

If you're looking to replace that Sigma (and get a good night-scene landscape lens in the process) I'd suggest checking out the Samyang 14mm f/2.8 (also sold under the Bower, Rokinon, Wallimex, and I think Phoenix labels). It's manual focus and has some fixable distortion issues, but crazy sharp and dirt cheap. Then work your way up to the Canon 16-35/4L, which is awesome.
He is doing the camera for £650 for me, not sure if that is a really cheap price but i know it's hardly been used and well looked after

Online cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1230 on: August 10, 2015, 12:34:40 am »
He is doing the camera for £650 for me, not sure if that is a really cheap price but i know it's hardly been used and well looked after

Seems like just about the average price on eBay for a used one, but definitely worth it because you can never really be sure what you're going to get off of them. Personal assurance that the camera is in good shape is priceless!

Offline LOKKO

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1231 on: August 16, 2015, 04:27:22 pm »
After thinking about it I'm going to skip the 5d mkii, i went and had a look at a Sony a7s i and a canon 6d I'm probably going to get the 6d in a month or two

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1232 on: August 16, 2015, 04:37:10 pm »
After thinking about it I'm going to skip the 5d mkii, i went and had a look at a Sony a7s i and a canon 6d I'm probably going to get the 6d in a month or two

Can I ask why you looked at the A7s in particular? That's kind of a niche product for low-light work, the A7 or A7ii are far more versatile.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline LOKKO

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1233 on: August 16, 2015, 05:28:55 pm »
Can I ask why you looked at the A7s in particular? That's kind of a niche product for low-light work, the A7 or A7ii are far more versatile.
It was one of the full frame cameras they had in the shop so I thought I would check it out, the woman in the shop was really pushing the Fuji cameras to me

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1234 on: August 19, 2015, 07:35:34 pm »
The Fujis are great.  I prefer the XT1 to the A7 but both are brilliant. 

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #1235 on: August 28, 2015, 05:09:12 pm »
Hey guys

Haven't been in this thread for a while!

Can someone advise me on a lens? I have a Nikon D3200 with just the standard kit lens.

Now I'm more familiar with my camera, I'm starting to find it's not versatile enough - mainly in terms of the zoom. I don't particularly want to upgrade but I am toying with the idea.

Should I just buy a zoom lens for it? (Any advice on which ones?)

Or bite the bullet and buy something more up to date? I'd be prepared to spend maybe £600 on a new camera but I'm not sure I'd spend that much on a lens for a camera I am thinking about changing.

Could I upgrade the camera with a zoom lens for £600?

Prepared to spend £300-400 on lens' though.

Any help would be so much appreciated!

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1236 on: August 28, 2015, 05:36:02 pm »
Hey guys

Haven't been in this thread for a while!

Can someone advise me on a lens? I have a Nikon D3200 with just the standard kit lens.

Now I'm more familiar with my camera, I'm starting to find it's not versatile enough - mainly in terms of the zoom. I don't particularly want to upgrade but I am toying with the idea.

Should I just buy a zoom lens for it? (Any advice on which ones?)

Or bite the bullet and buy something more up to date? I'd be prepared to spend maybe £600 on a new camera but I'm not sure I'd spend that much on a lens for a camera I am thinking about changing.

Could I upgrade the camera with a zoom lens for £600?

Prepared to spend £300-400 on lens' though.

Any help would be so much appreciated!

The basic limitations of a kit lens are:
Image quality - that's something people like to talk about, but it can mean different things to different people. Most common problems with quality are sharpness, chromatic aberration, distortion and colour fidelity.
Zoom range - the average kit lens goes from about 18mm to about 70mm. Great for portraits and family photos, less so for sports, wildlife, landscapes.
Maximum aperture - kit lenses tend not to open all that wide, so low-light and tight selective focus with a narrow depth of field is harder to achieve.

Most modern kit lenses are actually pretty good, though. And the improved image quality of a more expensive lens is unlikely to make a huge difference to your photos in itself.

The question really is what is it that you want to be able to do, that you can't do with what you have.

If it's really just the zoom (as in, you can't zoom in close enough to stuff) then you can get cheap super-zooms up to 300mm without breaking the bank. These are basically like kit lenses but with a longer reach, and are often sold as extended kits. You can get a Tamron 70-300m for under £100, for instance, or Nikon's own 55-300mm for £200.

Once you start down that road, you quickly get locked into a system, of course, and then you'll probably want to stay with it or you need to replace all your lenses, but you should be safe enough with Nikon. They aren't going anywhere, and you'll be able to use any Nikon lens you buy on other Nikon bodies if you upgrade in the future.

As a rule of thumb, you should aim to spend more on lenses than you do on cameras. They last longer, for one thing. Unless there's a particular feature set on a new body that you know would massively improve your photography, or your camera breaks down, there's no real need to upgrade it.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Online cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1237 on: August 28, 2015, 10:27:13 pm »
First, let me just reinforce what Nessy said: unless your camera is ancient, buying a new lens is a better investment about 99% of the time. Cameras not only live shorter lives than lenses; but they lose value dramatically. A camera will lose resale value  constantly, if at a gradually decreasing rate, while a lens will lose some resale value by dint of its being used but then basically never again. The higher-quality the lens, the better the price will stay. Buy a used lens, and you have a slight chance of making a bit of money on the deal.

A lens will also typically affect your photography much more than a camera will - again, depending on how old your camera is and whether you have specific needs like super-fast AF. You already have a camera that's pretty capable, especially sensor-wise. The only problem with it is Nikon's weird deal with not putting AF motors in certain lenses. Really, you'll be better off upgrading your lens than anything else.

It seems to me like you're looking for a longer zoom range? And that maybe you want everything to stay packed into the one lens? If the latter is the case, bear in mind that the versatility comes at a price in terms of image quality. I'll echo Nessy in suggesting a second, longer zoom to supplement your current lens rather than replace it. I would make a different suggestion, though, and go with the Tamron 70-300mm SP VC (not the non-VC version), which is £250 new and about £200 used and has awesome IQ for the money. That would leave you extra money for a £130 (£110 used) Nikon 35mm f/1.8 AF-S or 50mm f/1.8 AF-S (make sure to get the AF-S versions, because only they will autofocus on your camera). One of those two lenses would add a completely different dimension to the type of photos you can take.

If you're thinking of upgrading your camera for reasons other than the zoom, then that's a whole different kettle of fish!

« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 10:29:19 pm by cptrios »

Offline Packalacky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1238 on: August 31, 2015, 06:26:04 pm »
Got the Olympus Pen E-PL5 , a micro 4/3 camera. Got it mainly for it's small size so the missus can use it like a point and shoot while I can delve deeper into the settings.

Got blown away by the quality of the pictures. It was between D5500 and the Olympus and I'm really glad I went for the Olympus because I'm sure it'll be used much more often than a full size SLR. Looking at getting a prime lens mainly for portraits (young children) so any suggestions would be great.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1239 on: August 31, 2015, 09:47:56 pm »
Good choice!