Author Topic: No Pennant in England squad  (Read 13196 times)

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Big Mac Whopper. Proud owner of "mods-are-cunts" account. Strangely no longer with us.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: No Pennant in England squad
« Reply #120 on: May 27, 2007, 09:28:03 pm »

Liverpool are the best crossing team in the Premiership Pennant was our 2nd best crosser behind Steven Finnan for accuracy, I am not talking bollcks, face it, the fact he was a criminal you dislike him.

How many goals has he created from crosses in his 25 appearances? I don't dislike him when he plays to his ability, infact he is class on the rare occasions that he does.

His crossing is poor, if you can't see that then you need to get down to specsavers.
* WARNING - The above post may contain sarcasm. Maybe some irony, if you're lucky.

AS ALWAYS, WE ARE FOCUSED ON SUPPORTING OUR MANAGER

Offline mika1983

• Legacy Fan
  • Workington manager 1953-54
« Reply #121 on: May 27, 2007, 09:34:30 pm »
How many goals has he created from crosses in his 25 appearances? I don't dislike him when he plays to his ability, infact he is class on the rare occasions that he does.

His crossing is poor, if you can't see that then you need to get down to specsavers.

His crossing is magnificent, Arsenal, Birmingham and Liverpool clear for all to see, probably 2 misplaced pass in the final, one debateable with gerrard going for the volley.

Plus he can get the ball in the box from what look like awkard positions, I still duno how you can deny that he cant cross when it is even proven we are the best crossers in the prem and Pennant and Finnan best crossers in the team. 

Even James Milner deserves a place in the England squad before Pennant just to name one.

ame one.

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Big Mac Whopper. Proud owner of "mods-are-cunts" account. Strangely no longer with us.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: May 27, 2007, 09:39:25 pm »
Well, we are going to have to disagree on that. I'll knock out a little video of his crossing in the final and tell me that he misplaces two.
* WARNING - The above post may contain sarcasm. Maybe some irony, if you're lucky.

Offline shangtsung

• fucking thick
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • to be honest
« Reply #123 on: May 27, 2007, 09:42:50 pm »
Same floated delivery EVERY time.
Watch your back.

Offline shangtsung

• fucking thick
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • to be honest
« Reply #124 on: May 27, 2007, 09:43:12 pm »
He cut back a pass for Gerrard in the final and even tried to float that, hence fucking up the chance.
Watch your back.

Offline mika1983

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: May 27, 2007, 09:44:52 pm »
Well Pennant is here next season, and trust me by the end of next season he will be talked up a lot here.

Even James Milner deserves a place in the England squad before Pennant just to name one.

ame one.

Offline cj

• didn't get where he is today without becoming a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: May 27, 2007, 09:49:56 pm »
Well Pennant is here next season, and trust me by the end of next season he will be talked up a lot here.
Yeah I can see him go on to be absolutely great (somewhat depending on our strikeforce of course). But maybe that's just me.

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #127 on: May 27, 2007, 09:54:39 pm »

Liverpool are the best crossing team in the Premiership Pennant was our 2nd best crosser behind Steven Finnan for accuracy, I am not talking bollcks, face it, the fact he was a criminal you dislike him.

Stats are misleading....i could kick a ball from the wing, and as long as it reaches one of our players it counts as a successful cross.

His looping crosses are not whats needed (although he is improving). At the mo, he could cross to e.g. crouch, but it misses everyone and riise get on the end of the mishit cross. But as it's one of our players it means it goes down as a successful one
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline Merlock

• Main Stander
« Reply #128 on: May 28, 2007, 11:50:26 am »
Pennant is a better crosser than Lennon. Fact. You have to also consider the way the players around him play. Well what do I care. With buffoons like McClaren your national team will win nought even if they tried fifty years.
I made a post.

Offline shangtsung

• fucking thick
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • to be honest
« Reply #129 on: May 28, 2007, 12:39:50 pm »
Pennant is a better crosser than Lennon. Fact. You have to also consider the way the players around him play. Well what do I care. With buffoons like McClaren your national team will win nought even if they tried fifty years.

Yeah, he is a better crosser than Lennon by default, because Lennon's crossing is shit.
Watch your back.

Offline Kaizer

• Quaresmatic
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wonder is the beginning of wisdom.
« Reply #130 on: May 28, 2007, 01:31:07 pm »

The European Cup final was a great example of what Pennant offers.

Next to nothing then I guess?

Still people think Pennant isn't good enough cause his croses go to no one, well whats the point in his crosses if he has to cross to someone out of the box, once we get more attacking minded players like your Tevez's and Eto's, people will start to be even more convinced by Pennant to the point where people will get Pennant on their shirts, if we failt to buy these players and still have Crouch and Bellamy, then people will continue to be frustrated and blame Pennant.

If you are a half decent player you do not cross the ball when there is no one in the box or no one arriving in there.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 01:33:04 pm by Kaizer »
There will always be more sheep than shepherds.

“One of my favourites is Ricardo Quaresma. The day I go back to coaching I will do everything possible to sign him. Quaresma could make any club have that extra step up in quality.” - M.Lippi, August 2007

Just fuckin sign him!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzSNuQHwZLE

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: May 28, 2007, 01:34:32 pm »

Exactly right.

Offline StevieG26

• Would like to be the first of offer his criticisms.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: May 28, 2007, 02:03:59 pm »
You can read Pennant's play like a book. And not a very good one, mind.

Goes down the byline, fails to beat his man, hits a 'hopeful' cross into the penalty area. Usually there's nobody there cause our "best" striker plays almost in midfield.

If he does manages to beat his man once, and even manages to get in the penalty area, he offers zero goalthreat.

I agree with that.

It's so frustrating seeing our attacking play because 9 times out of 10, there's nobody in the box. We hardly even put 3 players in the box for corners ffs.
"Football is not a matter of life and death. I can assure you that it is much more important than that."

Bill Shankly.

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
« Reply #133 on: May 28, 2007, 08:46:16 pm »

If you are a half decent player you do not cross the ball when there is no one in the box or no one arriving in there.

Do you ever think that maybe people know your views on Pennant by now?
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #134 on: May 28, 2007, 09:43:11 pm »

i met him last weekend, I should have asked what he thought of that Kaizer fella on RAWK.

Offline mika1983

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: May 28, 2007, 11:48:59 pm »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Man you speak some shit when it comes to Pennant, but that is the WORST!

I actually want to know how you think Milner deserves a chance in the England squad ahead of Pennant, oh yeah he tries 25 long range shots a season or at least 2 goal of the season attempts, the most important attribute if you want to be a midfielder in Kaizers team.  Hence why Wank Fatpard made his team of the season, another player I cant wait see fail miserably once he leaves Chelsea
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 12:04:11 am by mika1983 »

ame one.

Offline Jimmy10Men

• Legacy Fan
  • California......Here we come!
« Reply #136 on: May 29, 2007, 12:09:28 am »

Do you ever think that maybe people know your views on Kaizer by now?

Offline Kaizer

• Quaresmatic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: May 29, 2007, 12:09:42 am »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Man you speak some shit when it comes to Pennant, but that is the WORST!

Some stats for you.

2005/06 Premier League:
Pennant: 38 matches - 2 goals - 4 assists
Milner: 30 matches - 1 goal - 10 assists

2006/07 Premier League:
Pennant: 34 matches - 1 goal - 5 assists
Milner: 35 matches - 3 goals - 7 assists

Having seen a few Newcastle matches this season I have to say apart from these stats I think Milner is a much more productive player than Pennant, it just goes to show that Pennant needs to get a bit down to earth, even if he is playing for Liverpool you still need to produce the goods get into the national team.

Milner is not a great player at any means but neither is Pennant, that was my point.

“One of my favourites is Ricardo Quaresma. The day I go back to coaching I will do everything possible to sign him. Quaresma could make any club have that extra step up in quality.” - M.Lippi, August 2007

Just fuckin sign him!

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
« Reply #138 on: May 29, 2007, 12:14:13 am »
Do you ever think that maybe people know your views on Kaizer by now?

Yes, I do. Why?
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline mika1983

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: May 29, 2007, 12:15:43 am »
Some stats for you.

2005/06 Premier League:

2006/07 Premier League:

Having seen a few Newcastle matches this season I have to say apart from these stats I think Milner is a much more productive player than Pennant, it just goes to show that Pennant needs to get a bit down to earth, even if he is playing for Liverpool you still need to produce the goods get into the national team.

Milner is not a great player at any means but neither is Pennant, that was my point.

Let let me tell you your full of shit, if you think Milner is a more productive player than Pennant, I dont know why I bother debating with you when you really have an agenda over him and you can fuck off over the appearances how many games were sub about 16.

You think Milner would be a better player than Pennant in the CL, fuck no.

ame one.

Offline Kaizer

• Quaresmatic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: May 29, 2007, 12:24:13 am »
you can fuck off over the appearances how many games were sub about 16.

Total:
Pennant: 72 matches- 5474 minutes on the pitch- 3 goals - 9 assists
Milner: 65 matches- 5436 minutes on the pitch - 4 goals - 17 assists

Just fuckin sign him!

Offline mika1983

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: May 29, 2007, 12:27:53 am »
Total:
Pennant: 72 matches- 5474 minutes on the pitch- 3 goals - 9 assists
Milner: 65 matches- 5436 minutes on the pitch - 4 goals - 17 assists

Pennant Good Points:  better ball control, better intelligence, more skillful, better corsser

Milner Good Points: Better short passing, better shot making

Milenr Bad points: Bad technique, shoots way to much

Pennant Bad points: Doesnt shoot, ex criminal.

ame one.

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: May 29, 2007, 12:29:52 am »
Some stats for you.

2005/06 Premier League:

2006/07 Premier League:

As far as I am concenred Jury is still out on Pennant.

BUT, ehile those stats are not great, he retains possession well, and offers a great outlet which is somethign the stats wll not show.
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline Kaizer

• Quaresmatic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: May 29, 2007, 12:36:23 am »
Pennant Good Points:  better ball control, better intelligence, more skillful, better corsser

Milner Good Points: Better short passing, better shot making

Milenr Bad points: Bad technique, shoots way to much

Pennant Bad points: Doesnt shoot, ex criminal.

I`m not advocating Milner to be picked for England mate, but since you put up some of that stuff let me add that I think Milners crosses are much better, because they are actually crosses with speed, not some ballons flying into the box with no speed at all.

But lets end it here, it was just a way of describing that I think Pennant`s head is a bit big for his boots coming out with stuff like this all the time.

Just fuckin sign him!

Offline mika1983

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: May 29, 2007, 12:45:15 am »
Well once we get some quality strikers with real attacking intent we shall see, actually when Liverpool are applying tactics with Pennant Crouch is 10 times the player when Pennant is on the pitch.

We have to admit August to December 2006, Pennant wasnt on form, but  as a whole the collective team was shit with dire tactics and crazy team cahnges, from January 2007 I feel we took a bit more effort to attack teams and Pennant was instrumental on the right, hence why the media are talking up Pennant.  The end of the day, Pennant is staying next season and like I said earlier, maybe one of the most highly regarded playerson these forums.

ame one.

Offline jackellis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: May 29, 2007, 01:17:09 am »
I wish he would just stop talking himself up and then compaining when England don't call him up. He's a good player who I'm excited to see progress next season but he's making himself look like a bit of an impatient tit if you ask me.
Just think- next time I shoot someone, I could be arrested.

Offline suede lady

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: May 29, 2007, 11:07:02 am »
Maybe he does not deserve to be in the England team - but in the squad he would be a decent backup. So would SWP. Pennant clearly has improved since January and is adding new aspects to his game - such as arriving in the penalty area when a cross is made from the other side. I'd guess he also has been told to have a go at goal more often but he still seems to prefer to play a final pass - but I gather that will change once he actually scores and gets more confidence in his shooting ability. After the Chelsea match he did seem to go more for goal. As said, I am hoping for him to progress even more next season.

Nor did I get the feeling he was "talking him self up and complaining". He said he had hoped to be thought off for the England squad and expressed a disappointment that it was not so. Of course you can read all sorts of arrogance into that. You could also think this is a young lad who was disappointed he was not called up after a improved end to the season and a man of the match performance in the biggest club game there is.

For those being happy Pennant is not in the squad - I think it would be good for him. He is unlikely to get any game time but the experience would be valuable and training with Beckham who is a dead ball specialist could only be a benefit for him.

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: May 29, 2007, 03:55:02 pm »
What's the big deal about whipping the ball into the box with pace, when we don't have a single player who can head the ball? At least if it's floated, it gives the forwards more time to adjust and judge it, plus there's more chance of the clearances reaching no more than 20-25 yards out, and I'd much rather see Gerrard or Alonso running onto those clearances during a game than watch Peter Crouch fuck up yet another header. If we had someone like Shearer up front, everyone in the country would love Pennant because he'd look ace.
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline Jimmy10Men

• Legacy Fan
  • California......Here we come!
« Reply #148 on: May 29, 2007, 04:47:26 pm »
Aurelio has probably been the best crosser of a ball for us this season and the man whips it in with bend and pace, e.g. Crouch v Gala, Crouch v Arsenal....Pennant should be doing this more.

There's a time and a place to clip it like Pennant does, e.g. Luis Garcia's goal v Gala was the perfect example, however there's also times not to do it, e.g. his chipped pull-back at knee height to Gerrard in Athens.

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #149 on: May 29, 2007, 04:52:04 pm »
If Wes Brown and Phil Neville are in the squad then Pennant deserve his too!
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline jackellis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: May 29, 2007, 05:29:45 pm »
If Wes Brown and Phil Neville are in the squad then Pennant deserve his too!

That is actually a very good point.

They're only in the squad because McClaren used to be the Mancs assistant manager.
Just think- next time I shoot someone, I could be arrested.

Offline cj

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: May 29, 2007, 05:41:41 pm »
Some stats for you.

2005/06 Premier League:

2006/07 Premier League:

There you go with the stats again and it's fucking deceptive. Pennant has been pounding in a lot of good balls, albeit some went askew or uncapitalized. 

Offline cj

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: May 29, 2007, 05:43:02 pm »
I'm honestly looking forward to what he can bring next season

Offline Richio76

• Anny Roader
« Reply #153 on: May 29, 2007, 06:06:38 pm »
I'm not just saying this but Pennant really is not good enough for England or Liverpool. Quite simply his delivery is not good enough and in the modern games midfielders need to score goals and wingers need to create them. Pennant has done neither this season. He should be behind Beckham, Lennon and Bentley at least.

Offline suede lady

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: May 29, 2007, 07:40:08 pm »
I wonder if a full preseason training with Aurelio could not improve his crossing - or rather make it more varied. That is way I want him in the England squad - to improve as a player. Still needs to working on his finishing though but at least he is getting into the box a bit more

Offline Rafas3leggedtable

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: May 30, 2007, 12:49:51 pm »

erm no its not. I suppose we should simply be in awe of Stewart  Downing should we?

:wanker
The people of Liverpool are workers. This is not a rich town where everyone lives a comfortable life. They work hard for themselves, and this is what we at Liverpool like to do. This is the attitude we must all have.

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: May 30, 2007, 01:01:38 pm »
erm no its not.

Clearly is very average. Floated crap nearly everytime. Aurelio, now he can cross

I suppose we should simply be in awe of Stewart  Downing should we?

:wanker

If you want. I'll keep my opinion that he is a complete fucktard. Beckham, that's who's crossing you should be in awe of.

Offline mika1983

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: May 30, 2007, 08:03:11 pm »
The "flaws" since he joined from people on here are;

*  cant beat his man
*  lacks skill to take people on
*  no pace
*  doesnt cut inside
*  cuts inside far too much (weird)
*  doesn't hug the line
*  just tracks up the line up and down.
*  cant shoot
*  cant cross
*  loses possesion

ame one.

Offline Angelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: May 31, 2007, 04:16:02 am »
The "flaws" since he joined from people on here are;

*  cant beat his man
*  lacks skill to take people on
*  no pace
*  doesnt cut inside
*  cuts inside far too much (weird)
*  doesn't hug the line
*  just tracks up the line up and down.
*  cant shoot
*  cant cross
*  loses possesion

most of them are not true and i am sure you know that but you're trying to make some point to the others.

i think he has progressed well this season and improved parts of his game that looked well crappy in the beginning of this season. the things i would like him to improve are:
(1) his positioning in the last third of the pitch so that he can get himself into goal scoring positions
(2) keep the flow of the game going. this is one of the main problems i've had with him this season. many a time he has held on to the ball 5 to 10 second more than he has had to. he cuts inside and then outside and then inside by which time the players around him who were making runs have already been closed down.
(3) burst of pace while one on one. to be fair, he has shown he is capable of that once or twice this season, but i want him to be more consistent.

(1) and (2) can come with confidence and management from rafa. (3) i am still doubtful of because considering he is a "traditional winger" who likes to hug the byeline, pace has never been his main attribute. and unfortunately, in the system that rafa plays, pace is a huge, huge aspect for our success.

although i like pennant and believe he has the attributes to be a success at the club in his own way, i fear there'll be new wingers coming in who will make pennant a squad player.