Author Topic: War on Drugs  (Read 107930 times)

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
Re: War on Drugs
« Reply #641 on: December 19, 2014, 11:18:39 pm »

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #642 on: January 22, 2015, 10:03:50 am »
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #644 on: January 29, 2015, 09:57:55 pm »
Obama's attorney general nominee thinks pot is more dangerous than alcohol. She's wrong.

US attorney general nominee Loretta Lynch on Wednesday said at a congressional hearing that she disagrees with President Barack Obama on his views that marijuana is no more dangerous than alcohol.

Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-AL) asked whether Lynch agreed with Obama's statements to the New Yorker that pot is no more dangerous than alcohol. Lynch responded, "I certainly don't hold that view and don't agree with that view of marijuana as a substance. I certainly think that the president was speaking from his personal experience and personal opinion — neither of which I am able to share."

But the empirical literature is actually very clear on this issue: marijuana is much safer than alcohol.

Alcohol is directly responsible for far more deaths than marijuana, according to the best federal data on direct health effects. No one has reportedly died from a marijuana overdose, but tens of thousands die each year due to direct health complications, such as liver disease, brought on by excessive alcohol consumption.

Alcohol is even more dangerous than the fatality numbers suggest. A previous report published in The Lancet took a comprehensive look at 20 of the world's most popular drugs and the risks they pose in the UK. A conference of drug experts measured all the factors involved — mortality, other physical damage, chance of developing dependence, impairment of mental function, effect on crime, and so on — and assigned each drug a score. They concluded alcohol is by far the most dangerous drug to society as a whole, while marijuana fell near the middle.

What makes alcohol so dangerous? The health effects of excessive drinking and drunk driving are two obvious problems. But there are other major issues rooted in alcohol-induced aggression and erratic behavior: injuries, economic productivity costs, family adversities, and even crime. (Alcohol is a factor in 40 percent of violent crimes, according to the National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence.)

The Lancet's report comes with a couple caveats. It doesn't entirely control for the availability of these drugs, so it's possible heroin and crack cocaine in particular would be ranked higher if they were as readily available as alcohol. And the findings are based on the UK, so the specific scores would likely differ to some extent for the US.

But marijuana doesn't come close to alcohol in terms of risks — indicating that, on this particular issue, Obama is right and his attorney general nominee is wrong.

source

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #645 on: March 19, 2015, 05:13:05 am »
DEA Approves Study Of Psychedelic Drug MDMA In Treatment Of Seriously Ill Patients

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/18/dea-mdma-study_n_6888972.html
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline HarryLabrador

• went broke, so had to get the retrievers in.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #647 on: April 18, 2015, 03:06:18 pm »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-watch/wp/2015/04/17/state-seizes-11-year-old-arrests-his-mother-after-he-defends-medical-marijuana-during-a-school-presentation/?tid=trending_strip_6

Good ole Kansas.
Good grief what a retarded state Kansas is! Trust is the biggest victim here. How can parents trust the schools if indeed they reported this 11 year old boy to the police, who by the way appears to be quite intelligent. Sad, and I hope this poor lady has her son returned to her and gets out of Kansas tout de suite.
SoS Membership Number: 387

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Pαidν Σ Sι
« Reply #648 on: October 20, 2015, 12:47:53 pm »
The war on drugs is over.

Drugs won  :champ

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/un-to-call-on-governments-around-the-world-to-decriminalise-all-drugs-says-richard-branson-a6699851.html

UN to call on governments around the world to decriminalise all drugs, says Richard Branson

The UN may be about to call on the governments of all countries to end the "war on drugs" and decriminalise the use and possession of all illegal substances.

In an extraordinary post on his Virgin website, Richard Branson said he had been showed a report by the UN Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) which dramatically changed the organisation's stance on drug control.

He said the "as-yet unreleased statement" had been sent to some of the world's media under embargo - but that he has gone public with it early for fear the UN will "bow to pressure by not going ahead with this important move".

The UN was preparing to declare "unequivocally that criminalisation is harmful unnecessary and disproportionate", Branson wrote. A document changing the UN stance on drug control was supposed to be released at a conference in Malaysia on Sunday, he said, but that has now been delayed.

"As I'm writing this I am hearing that at least one government is putting an inordinate amount of pressure on the UNODC," he said. "Let us hope the UNODC, a global organisation that is part of the UN and supposed to do what is right for the people of the world, does not do a remarkable volte-face at the last possible moment and bow to pressure by not going ahead with this important move. The war on drugs has done too much damage to too many people already."

Offline Hudson66

• The Kia Ora Man - too orangely for RAWK
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #649 on: October 20, 2015, 01:14:58 pm »
Not so fast there

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/politics/un-shelves-report-calling-for-decriminalisation-of-all-drugs-after-pressure-from-one-government-a6700771.html

Sounds like Branson knew it wasn't going to go ahead and he decided to get it some news coverage. Move along now, nothing to see here.

I wonder who vetoed it though. Must have been a big country to hold such sway. Already the person who drafted the report is being written off as a nobody.

Offline Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Occasionally inspirational
« Reply #650 on: October 21, 2015, 04:04:07 am »
Not so fast there

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/politics/un-shelves-report-calling-for-decriminalisation-of-all-drugs-after-pressure-from-one-government-a6700771.html

Sounds like Branson knew it wasn't going to go ahead and he decided to get it some news coverage. Move along now, nothing to see here.

I wonder who vetoed it though. Must have been a big country to hold such sway. Already the person who drafted the report is being written off as a nobody.

Bound to be the good old USA.... Their privatised prison system is full to the brim of people with minor drugs convictions, imagine how much money they'd lose if drugs were decriminalised
Believer

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #651 on: October 22, 2015, 09:01:45 pm »
Guess who the pig fucker has put in charge of UK drugs policy?

Anyone remember the Brass Eye episode where they tricked celebs into thinking CAKE was a drug? W

Well the MP that got tricked is now chair of a commons select committee looking at the new drugs law. 

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/the-mp-tricked-into-condemning-a-fake-drug-called-cake-has-been-put-in-charge-of-scrutinising-drugs-a6704671.html

Offline Red an White Tea Party

• Anny Roader
  • How d'ya like them Onions barca?
« Reply #652 on: November 9, 2015, 12:56:00 am »
Uruguay uses their  initiative again. How I will laugh when it becomes a medical schooling for pig fanciers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-34718278
If you ask Smalling and Brown if they'd rather play Suarez or Carroll, they'd say Suarez all day long, because he's not going to bully them or run in behind them.

Offline Red an White Tea Party

• Anny Roader
  • How d'ya like them Onions barca?
« Reply #653 on: December 12, 2015, 04:24:18 am »
Denying the benefits of this medicine to thousands of patients is sadistic and cruel.

Petition to demand the British Government Reschedule Cannabis.

Currently Cannabis is in Schedule 1 - meaning that there is no known therapeutic use - Not only is this notion scientifically incorrect, it also puts patients that rely on Cannabis to survive in immediate danger i.e. no regulation/poor quality medicine, criminal activity to acquire medication

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/105708
If you ask Smalling and Brown if they'd rather play Suarez or Carroll, they'd say Suarez all day long, because he's not going to bully them or run in behind them.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #654 on: December 13, 2015, 10:37:41 am »

And Alcohol and Tobacco don't kill at all, either directly nor indirectly... hence why they're legal.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #655 on: December 13, 2015, 12:48:09 pm »
And Alcohol and Tobacco don't kill at all, either directly nor indirectly... hence why they're legal.

Not sure if serious.

Offline Priest078

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #656 on: December 13, 2015, 08:55:12 pm »
Hard work when people at work start talking about drugs. Our health and safety feller thinks that if you have a trace of anything in your system then you are under the influence. I have to sit quietly biting my lip.

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #657 on: December 29, 2015, 05:41:10 am »
Here's How Many People Fatally Overdosed On Marijuana Last Year

The rate has held steady from previous years.

With marijuana now legal in some form throughout 23 states, the number of Americans who fatally overdosed on the drug last year was significant:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/entry/marijuana-deaths-2014_56816417e4b06fa68880a217?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000063&section=australia
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #658 on: February 17, 2016, 11:52:13 am »
ABC Australia - Dying to Dance

A very balanced investigation.

http://iview.abc.net.au/programs/four-corners/NC1604H003S00

Offline Sabbi yypia

• Too classy by far for this place
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #659 on: February 22, 2016, 06:15:23 am »
The most frustrating thing is that prohibitionists hold this sort of study up as evidence that cannabis should remain illegal. Their argument is completely undermined by the fact that weed, and other drugs for that matter, have never been more readily available despite being illegal and are completely unregulated.

I can only hope that this madness ends at some point. It really is the one social policy area which drives me fucking mad with it's idiocy.

I just recently discovered that my baby brother (now 21) has been smoking weed daily since 17. He was an A* nerd at GSCE and on track to do well in his A Level and into a medicine degree.

Suffice to say none of that happened and it's been 3/4 yrs of lies, angry young man, and no degree because he has been too doped up to study and has now been at 3 different university's and been unable to knuckle down enough to get past year one.

Not only am I feeling pretty heartbroken by it, but it's cost my parents almost £40k in fees and weed so far.

He has decided to come back home for a year and reassess what to do before another crack at uni but was still smoking weed until he got busted smoking it by my dad recently and has had a little intervention. So far he says he has been clean and that he didn't believe weed is addictive but as far as I am concerned how can anyone believe him?

He's surrounded by friends who do it and have done for years, peer pressure got him to start a little at school bit later it's become much worse. He thinks his issue is that he can't regulate himself but I doubt that would have made a difference!

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #660 on: February 22, 2016, 06:47:34 am »
That is a sad story but, and I say this with all due respect, I'm not sure what relevance it has on the issue of weed's legality. If somebody is smoking it every day already, then what difference does having it illegal make? On the other hand, if you think that making it legal will create more people like your brother then this is highly unlikely for two reasons. Firstly, the data from places around the world where weed is already legal means it is an unwarranted worry. Secondly, anybody who wanted to get high can do so already with zero barriers. It doesn't seem like we are going to have a society of stoners just because it's legal.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline Sabbi yypia

• Too classy by far for this place
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #661 on: February 22, 2016, 09:04:12 am »
That is a sad story but, and I say this with all due respect, I'm not sure what relevance it has on the issue of weed's legality. If somebody is smoking it every day already, then what difference does having it illegal make? On the other hand, if you think that making it legal will create more people like your brother then this is highly unlikely for two reasons. Firstly, the data from places around the world where weed is already legal means it is an unwarranted worry. Secondly, anybody who wanted to get high can do so already with zero barriers. It doesn't seem like we are going to have a society of stoners just because it's legal.

Not sure where I have said anything which you are assuming as per above? Where have I mentioned anything about its legality?

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #662 on: February 22, 2016, 09:21:53 am »
Not sure where I have said anything which you are assuming as per above? Where have I mentioned anything about its legality?

You're right, I misread based on the post you were responding to. My apologies.
---Rilke

Offline Nazi Dickhead

• Legacy Fan
  • Man moth?
« Reply #663 on: February 24, 2016, 08:14:11 pm »
I just recently discovered that my baby brother (now 21) has been smoking weed daily since 17. He was an A* nerd at GSCE and on track to do well in his A Level and into a medicine degree.

Suffice to say none of that happened and it's been 3/4 yrs of lies, angry young man, and no degree because he has been too doped up to study and has now been at 3 different university's and been unable to knuckle down enough to get past year one.

Not only am I feeling pretty heartbroken by it, but it's cost my parents almost £40k in fees and weed so far.

He has decided to come back home for a year and reassess what to do before another crack at uni but was still smoking weed until he got busted smoking it by my dad recently and has had a little intervention. So far he says he has been clean and that he didn't believe weed is addictive but as far as I am concerned how can anyone believe him?

He's surrounded by friends who do it and have done for years, peer pressure got him to start a little at school bit later it's become much worse. He thinks his issue is that he can't regulate himself but I doubt that would have made a difference!

I sympathize with you and your baby brother mate. But weed is not the problem. He might be addicted like you said, but good that it's weed and not alcohol, cocaine or heroin. That it's Marijuana likely means much less physical addiction and more he's developed a strong habitual or psychological dependency, possibly in order to escape reality. There are just so many factors that could lead to your Brothers situation from (true) the strain of weed he's smoking (levels of THC, CBD) to a painful memory he can't quite come to terms with or uncertainty with his future being illuminated. Focusing so much on the weed (you reference it a lot) will not get you any closer to helping or understating your Brothers situation. Your clearly concerned, so come at him with a perspective of love, understanding and acceptance rather than any judgement and cynicism. It's much more likely to help get him to a place of responsible drug use or to a place where he feels like he doesn't need drugs any more. But he sounds smart, has a desire for knowledge and clearly a loving family around, good position to work things out from.

speaking from what sounds like a very similar experience, wish you and your brother all the best!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 08:35:14 pm by adam18 »
-YNWA-

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #664 on: February 24, 2016, 10:24:13 pm »
That's sensible advice. Weed is not good for motivation but it's rarely associated with anger and lies. Sounds to me like adam18 is right, the weed use is probably not the real problem.

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #665 on: March 2, 2016, 07:31:30 am »
disgraceful

Yet another man killed because he was apparently carrying drugs, indomitable weapons of mass destruction. This is justice in the United States where you can get murdered by the state for possessing drugs.

Even if someone offered me 5 times my current salary, I still would never move to the US. I do enjoy my joints and spliffs on the weekend and I sure as hell dont want to fucking die because of it. Or get thrown in prison for 20 years.

Phuk yoo

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #666 on: March 2, 2016, 09:54:08 am »
disgraceful

Yet another man killed because he was apparently carrying drugs, indomitable weapons of mass destruction. This is justice in the United States where you can get murdered by the state for possessing drugs.

Even if someone offered me 5 times my current salary, I still would never move to the US. I do enjoy my joints and spliffs on the weekend and I sure as hell dont want to fucking die because of it. Or get thrown in prison for 20 years.

You'd be fine as long as you were white.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #667 on: March 2, 2016, 10:20:27 am »
You'd be fine as long as you were white.

Since I am not, I guess i'll steer clear!  :D
Phuk yoo

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #668 on: March 7, 2016, 12:14:13 pm »
'Just Say No': How Nancy Reagan Helped America Lose the War on Drugs

By Tess Owen

March 6, 2016

Nancy Reagan, a former Hollywood actress and the widow of President Ronald Reagan, died at her home in California on Sunday at age 94, leaving behind a legacy as one of the most influential — and controversial — first ladies in American history.

The Reagans, who were in the White House from 1981 to 1989, are often heralded as setting the conservative standard for the decades to come, embodying neoliberalism and other philosophies that modern Republican presidential candidates often invoke to attract voters. They also presided over the sharp escalation of America's war on drugs, which led to an era of tough-on-crime rhetoric and draconian policies that swelled the US prison population.

While Nancy Reagan was known for many things — including her glamorous taste in high-end fashion and her belief in astrology — she is perhaps best remembered for her tireless crusade against drugs. One of the most defining moments of the Reagan administration was when Nancy Reagan, clad in red with perfectly coiffed strawberry blond hair, appeared on television screens across the country, earnestly warning viewers about the dangers of drugs and urging Americans to be vigilant about reporting drug use to authorities.

"For the sake of our children," Reagan said, "I implore you to be unyielding and inflexible in your opposition to drugs."

"Drug criminals are ingenious," she added. "They work every day to plot a new and better way to steal our children's lives, just as they've done by creating crack."

In 1982, during a radio address to the nation on Federal Drug Policy, Ronald Reagan stressed the seriousness of the drug epidemic to listeners, which he described as "an especially vicious virus of crime." He then turned to Nancy to tug at the country's heartstrings.

"Nancy returned from a trip to Alabama, Mississippi and Arkansas," Reagan said in the broadcast, "one of the many trips she's made, talking to young people and their parents about the drug epidemic. Well, I thought it might be fitting if she told you herself of what she's learned about the drug problem."

"To everyone at home," Nancy Reagan told listeners, "I have to tell you that few things in my life have frightened me as much as the drug epidemic among our children. I wish I could tell you all the accounts I've heard — stories of families where lying replaces trust, hate replaces love; stories of children stealing from their mothers' purses; stories of parents not knowing about drugs, and then not believing that the children were on them, and finally not understanding that help was available. I've heard time and again of children with excellent grades, athletic promise, outgoing personalities, but who, because of drugs, became shells of their former selves.

"I won't burden you with all the terrifying statistics, but there's one that's especially troubling," she continued. "While the health of most Americans has been improving, young people between 15 and 24 have a higher death rate than 20 years ago. And alcohol and drugs are one reason for this."

Nancy Reagan soon became the face of the "Just Say No" campaign. During one of her trips to California, she was reportedly asked by an elementary schoolgirl what to do if someone offered her drugs.

"A little girl raised her hand," Reagan recalled, "and said, 'Mrs. Reagan, what do you do if somebody offers you drugs?' And I said, 'Well, you just say no.' And there it was born. I think people thought we had an advertising agency over who dreamed that up — not true."

By 1988, more than 12,000 "Just Say No Clubs" had formed in schools across the country. Government-funded anti-drug commercials tried to scare kids away from recreational drug use, while warning parents about the horrible things that would happen if their kids started getting high.

The campaign was a cornerstone of the nation's war on drugs. The war was actually declared by by President Richard Nixon back in 1971, but it was Reagan who really set the wheels in motion, as the popularity of cocaine continued to boom, crack cocaine emerged on inner city streets and drug cartels south of the border became increasingly powerful.

In 1986, Reagan signed the National Crusade for a Drug Free America, an anti-drug abuse bill that took a zero-tolerance approach to drug use and distribution. It caused America's incarceration rate to skyrocket. Tough sentencing remained the weapon of choice in the fight against drugs for decades. The US currently has the highest incarceration rate of any nation in the world, and about half of all federal prisoners are locked up for drug crimes. Only in recent years, during the Obama administration, has the nation's drug policy shifted from criminalization to rehabilitation.

The effectiveness of the "Just Say No" campaign has been subject to some debate. According to the Reagan Foundation, cocaine use among high school seniors dropped from 6.2 percent in 1986 to 4.3 percent. But critics of the campaign say that it only served to create hysteria around drugs, and that touting abstinence isn't the best approach. A 2009 survey looked at teenagers who enrolled in DARE programs (the acronym stands for Drug Abuse Resistance Education), and found that participants were just as likely to use drugs as those who received no abstinence education.

Critics of abstinence programs often favor harm reduction approaches, which seek to educate users about safer drug use. While marijuana use has increased since 2007, according to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, use of most other types of drugs either stabilized over the past decade or has declined.

Still, America has continued to spend billions of dollars each year fighting the losing battle in the war on drugs. According to the Drug Policy Alliance, the US spends more than $51 billion annually on the war on drugs, and more than 1.5 million Americans were arrested in 2014 for drug law violations. Around 83 percent of those arrests were for minor possession of illicit substances.

Meanwhile, drugs are as easy to get as ever in the US, and tens of thousands of people across Latin America have died in drug-related violence as countries fight their own drug wars backed by US taxpayer dollars. More than 100,000 people have died in Mexico's drug war alone since 2006. It's those sorts of sobering statistics that make Nancy Reagan's message to Americans in 1990 seem absurd.

"Say yes to life," she said, "and when it comes to drugs and alcohol, just say no."

source

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #669 on: March 22, 2016, 02:46:00 pm »
Nixon official: real reason for the drug war was to criminalize black people and hippies

Updated by German Lopez on March 22, 2016

The war on drugs: Is it a genuine public health crusade or an attempt to carry out what author Michelle Alexander characterizes as "the New Jim Crow"?

A new report by Dan Baum for Harper's Magazine suggests the latter. Specifically, Baum refers to a quote from John Ehrlichman, who served as domestic policy chief for President Richard Nixon when the administration declared its war on drugs in 1971. According to Baum, Ehrlichman said in 1994 that the drug war was a ploy to undermine Nixon's political opposition — meaning, black people and critics of the Vietnam War:

At the time, I was writing a book about the politics of drug prohibition. I started to ask Ehrlichman a series of earnest, wonky questions that he impatiently waved away. "You want to know what this was really all about?" he asked with the bluntness of a man who, after public disgrace and a stretch in federal prison, had little left to protect. "The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders, raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."

This is an incredibly blunt, shocking response — one with troubling implications for the 45-year-old war on drugs.

But it's not implausible. Although black Americans aren't more likely to use or sell drugs, they're much more likely to be arrested for them. And when black people are convicted of drug charges, they generally face longer prison sentences for the same crimes, according to a 2012 report from the US Sentencing Commission.

Ehrlichman claimed this was a goal of the drug war, not an unintended consequence. And Baum cites this as one of many reasons to end the drug war once and for all.

Baum's argument: Drug prohibition began with poor intentions, it has contributed to terrible consequences (racial disparities in the justice system and drug-fueled violence around the world), and it has failed to significantly curtail drug abuse and trafficking. So we should try a new approach — and legalize and regulate drugs.

But in doing this, Baum glosses over a few options. Even if it's true that the drug war was launched on faulty reasons, that doesn't mean it hasn't led to some benefits. And even if those benefits aren't worth the costs of the current model of prohibition, there are alternatives to pulling back drug prohibition besides legalization.

As I've written before, the drug war does likely prevent some drug use: One study by Jon Caulkins, a drug policy expert at Carnegie Mellon University, suggested that prohibition multiplies the price of hard drugs like cocaine by as much as 10 times. And illicit drugs obviously aren't available through easy means — one can't just walk into a CVS and buy heroin. So the drug war is likely stopping some drug use: Caulkins estimates legalization could lead hard drug abuse to triple.

America's latest drug epidemic provides some evidence for Caulkins's claims. In the past couple decades, doctors loosened access to very addictive and potentially deadly opioid painkillers. Painkiller abuse exploded, leading not just to more overdose deaths but to people trying other opioids, such as heroin, and overdosing on those as well. So more access led to more abuse and deaths.

Does this mean the war on drugs, as it's currently fought, is worth it? Not necessarily. It's a matter of weighing the pros and cons of the current model of drug prohibition.

So maybe the drug war reduces drug use. But it also enables and reinforces the justice system's biases against minority Americans. And it perpetuates a black market for drugs that fuels violence in the US and around the world, particularly in Mexico.

But there are options to draw down the war on drugs without legalization. The US could decriminalize — remove jail time and other criminal penalties for personal possession but not sales — and emphasize prevention and treatment, as Portugal has done. It could allow supervised injection sites for heroin users to provide a safe place to use the drug, as Canada, Switzerland, and several others have done. It could allow for the medical use of some drugs, such as psychedelics, as some researchers have pushed for. These are steps countries and states could take without legalizing drugs.

Baum does, however, acknowledge that even if a country does legalize, there are various ways to do it. Governments could spend much, much more on prevention and treatment programs alongside legalization to deal with a potential wave of new drug users. They could require and regulate licenses to buy drugs, as some states do with guns. Or they could ban private, for-profit sales of drugs, limiting greedy companies' abilities to market and sell the drugs no matter the consequence (as tobacco companies have done to get Americans hooked on cigarettes — to still very deadly effects).

None of these policies would wholly eliminate drug abuse, drug deaths, or drug-related violence and crime. But drug policy is often about picking the best out of the available bad options, rather than picking the perfect solution.

Still, there are far more options than prohibition and legalization, and different drugs with all sorts of different risks likely merit different policies. But it's going to be very difficult to get to the right balance of policies if the debate is framed as deciding between only legalization and prohibition.

source

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #670 on: March 23, 2016, 06:01:27 am »
What an incredible admission. Too late for the millions that have had their lives ruined spent in prision. Maybe this might help in stopping millions more from joining them.
---Rilke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #671 on: March 23, 2016, 06:12:25 am »
The number of black people in American prisons for years for petty drug offenses is a testament to the inherent race bias in the american judicial system.  Imaging being locked up for 5 years for carrying half a dozen joints in your pocket. 

Has anyone tested the hypothesis that black Americans get higher sentences for the same crimes as compared to whites in the US?  I bet it will prove the obvious, that is black americans are needlessly victimized.
Phuk yoo

Offline saoirse08

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • TRUTH. JUSTICE. ACCOUNTABILITY.
« Reply #672 on: March 23, 2016, 02:33:19 pm »
The number of black people in American prisons for years for petty drug offenses is a testament to the inherent race bias in the american judicial system.  Imaging being locked up for 5 years for carrying half a dozen joints in your pocket. 

Has anyone tested the hypothesis that black Americans get higher sentences for the same crimes as compared to whites in the US?  I bet it will prove the obvious, that is black americans are needlessly victimized.

Have you watched this? Touches on that very issue.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/a0atL1HSwi8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/a0atL1HSwi8</a>
“The socialism I believe in is everyone working for each other, everyone having a share of the rewards. It’s the way I see football, the way I see life.”

"The old is dying and the new cannot be born; in this interregnum a great variety of morbid symptoms appear."

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #673 on: March 23, 2016, 02:56:05 pm »

No need, it was actually written into law, with the disparity in sentencing between powder cocaine and crack cocaine, and that's even after Obama tried to do something about it.

http://www.vocativ.com/underworld/drugs/crack-vs-coke-sentencing/

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #674 on: March 23, 2016, 08:28:52 pm »
some of you may find Families against Mandatory Minimum's useful (famm.org)

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #675 on: March 24, 2016, 10:50:36 am »

I'd suggest you read this book...it's a massive eye opener.

Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #676 on: June 22, 2016, 02:51:51 pm »

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #677 on: August 26, 2016, 12:07:39 pm »

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #678 on: August 29, 2016, 03:46:02 pm »
Philippines drugs war: The woman who kills dealers for a living

Good, anyone that makes a living via the  misery and death in drugs deserves all they get..
JFT 96

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #679 on: August 29, 2016, 03:53:30 pm »
Good, anyone that makes a living via the  misery and death in drugs deserves all they get..

Did you actually read the article? This is not good in any way. It is is not just high level drug dealers being targeted, it is anyone who could have fallen on hard times, got addicted to drugs and been forced to deal.  2000 people killed in a matter of weeks without trial. The woman in question can't stop doing it, her boss has threatened to kill anyone who leaves the team.