Author Topic: War on Drugs  (Read 107781 times)

Offline Red Horizon

• Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: War on Drugs
« Reply #480 on: October 3, 2013, 01:20:03 am »
I don't think tarring all people who take drugs as stupid junkies is a very balanced view. What you will find in life, in all circles there will be some who are more on the heavenly side of the moral scale and some of a more hellish nature. Some will open a door for you or help you when you're down, some will just walk past or even chuck an insult your way. This is life.

Just because some nasty boys stole your handbag doesn't mean you have to lash out. Just stop going round the back of the Spar.

I didn't like that handbag much anyway,it really wasn't my colour...and i shall avoid all areas of junkiedom,though this does mean that there aren't many places left to go....except for the library or any places of a historic nature or indeed any places of wild nature as its to far out of town for them and i'm not sure you can smoke nettles or brambles..in fact if i just avoid the canal side the local shops the local park,several of the side streets,at least 3 of the 4 council estates and the community centre....then i'm free to roam anywhere without bumping into these fine upstanding members of the town...

You know they once kindly decorated the local park with all their drug stuff....i was particularly fond of the way the needles were arranged,it was somehow beautiful yet very very dangerous,the damn council spoilt it though by removing all this art work....typical council.
« Last Edit: October 3, 2013, 01:27:07 am by Red Horizon »

Offline pundapat

• Kopite
« Reply #481 on: October 3, 2013, 01:21:17 am »
Oh no i've been exposed...terribly sorry for not conforming old chap,tomorrow i shall make amends,i will shake hands with the first substance abuser i see(and trust me that will be easy)and i shall say to him/her..."you really are the backbone of our society,keep up the good work and please please please don't break into my shed and steal my bike to get the money to fund your self serving habit which makes this community a wonderful place to live"

Sounds like you've have one scary experience where someone's nicked your handbag (hope it wasn't too expensive). But Jesus Christ there's no inbetweens is there? Everyone in the world who has used drugs before are spineless and disgusting and love stealing your things. Stop being so close minded lad, bloody hell.

Offline Red Horizon

• Boys Pen
« Reply #482 on: October 3, 2013, 01:37:45 am »
Sounds like you've have one scary experience where someone's nicked your handbag (hope it wasn't too expensive). But Jesus Christ there's no inbetweens is there? Everyone in the world who has used drugs before are spineless and disgusting and love stealing your things. Stop being so close minded lad, bloody hell.

I was open minded once....and i invited one round for tea,i left him down stairs for a minute and on my return i found he had stolen my ring my watch my gold fish and a copy of the radio times,when i confronted him several weeks later he said he was doing my goldfish a favour by letting him go in the river and my ring looked better on him and he was always late and needed a watch...so i forgave him,though for the life of me,i don't know why he took the radio times..

Offline ericthered10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #483 on: October 3, 2013, 04:45:52 am »
I'm sure that was terrible, but if everyone painted 100's of millions of people with the same brush due to one or two people who have wronged you, the world would be a much less pleasant place. I would guess that most people who post here agree that some drugs are more beneficial than others, and that some attract a seedier type of person/have more danger involved in their manufacture, sale, and usage. The majority of drug users are not stealing and scrapping by to feed a habit.

Offline masher

• Legacy Fan
  • hippie at heart
« Reply #484 on: October 3, 2013, 04:49:09 am »
You really have to be ignorant in today's world to come up with something like:

All druggies are weak minded selfish no marks...

So that would include Jack Nicholson, Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, The Beatles, heck even Charles Dickens and Shakespeare ;D

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #485 on: October 3, 2013, 09:51:41 am »
So that would include Jack Nicholson, Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, The Beatles, heck even Charles Dickens and Shakespeare ;D

One of the guys who discovered DNA did so while tripping balls.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #486 on: October 3, 2013, 09:52:20 am »
Thank you but you don't need any pamphlets

Have you read this thread?

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #487 on: October 3, 2013, 11:55:05 am »

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #488 on: October 3, 2013, 12:02:00 pm »
All druggies are weak minded selfish no marks...

I'm going to go ahead and congratulate you on a successful fishing trip (because I'm an optimist like that).
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #489 on: October 3, 2013, 12:50:38 pm »
There's already two well known black markets on the Tor network, the SilkRoad thing is huge for the FBI but it's much like when they take down a Torrent site - pissing in the wind.

EDIT - Would have thought this would hurt Bitcoin but it's only dropped a tad, impressive,
« Last Edit: October 3, 2013, 12:52:48 pm by Kashinoda »
:D

Offline Red Horizon

• Boys Pen
« Reply #490 on: October 3, 2013, 03:49:33 pm »
I'm sure that was terrible, but if everyone painted 100's of millions of people with the same brush due to one or two people who have wronged you, the world would be a much less pleasant place. I would guess that most people who post here agree that some drugs are more beneficial than others, and that some attract a seedier type of person/have more danger involved in their manufacture, sale, and usage. The majority of drug users are not stealing and scrapping by to feed a habit.

Indeed it was terrible as i really miss that goldfish...The majority of substance abusers around here are stealing and scrapping by to feed a life enriching habit,just the other day one of the primary schools had all its computer equipment stolen by those addicts.....turns out one of the addicts children go to school there.....very thoughtful.
You really have to be ignorant in today's world to come up with something like:

Do you mean both Dicko and Shakey were smack heads? well knock me down with Opium poppy..
One of the guys who discovered DNA did so while tripping balls.

God i just love druggie terminology.
Have you read this thread?

Yes tis about little boys who want to get off their rocker by taking anything they can get their addicted hands on...ever thought about going for a walk?
I'm going to go ahead and congratulate you on a successful fishing trip (because I'm an optimist like that).

Ok...!

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #491 on: October 3, 2013, 04:11:18 pm »
Yes tis about little boys who want to get off their rocker by taking anything they can get their addicted hands on...ever thought about going for a walk?

It isn't, needless to say, but since you have now basically confirmed you're a troll....

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #492 on: October 3, 2013, 04:11:21 pm »
It's probably true to say that drug addicts are responsible for a large proportion of burglaries and petty thieving. How much of that is due to the illegality of the drugs though?You don't hear of alcoholics who are similarly dependant on their next 'fix' having to do much robbing because booze is so cheap.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #493 on: October 3, 2013, 04:17:07 pm »
...so i forgave him,though for the life of me,i don't know why he took the radio times..

Because he was planning to come back for your TV later.

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #494 on: October 3, 2013, 04:25:03 pm »
It's probably true to say that drug addicts are responsible for a large proportion of burglaries and petty thieving. How much of that is due to the illegality of the drugs though?You don't hear of alcoholics who are similarly dependant on their next 'fix' having to do much robbing because booze is so cheap.
Interesting view point for sure.,
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #495 on: October 4, 2013, 12:50:53 am »
EDIT - Would have thought this would hurt Bitcoin but it's only dropped a tad, impressive,
Thats what I thought would happen.

With Atlantis and The Silk Road gone BMR will be booming within a week.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #496 on: October 7, 2013, 03:46:05 pm »
The War on Drugs Is Over. Drugs Won.

Now is the time to ask why

By Stephen Marche

The world's most extensive study of the drug trade has just been published in the medical journal BMJ Open, providing the first "global snapshot" of four decades of the war on drugs. You can already guess the result. The war on drugs could not have been a bigger failure. To sum up their most important findings, the average purity of heroin and cocaine have increased, respectively, 60 percent and 11 percent between 1990 and 2007. Cannabis purity is up a whopping 161 percent over that same time. Not only are drugs way purer than ever, they're also way, way cheaper. Coke is on an 80 percent discount from 1990, heroin 81 percent, cannabis 86 percent. After a trillion dollars spent on the drug war, now is the greatest time in history to get high.

The new study only confirms what has been well-established for a decade at least, that trying to attack the drug supply is more or less pointless. The real question is demand, trying to mitigate its disastrous social consequences and treating the desire for drugs as a medical condition rather than as a moral failure.

But there's another question about demand that the research from BMJ Open poses. Why is there so much of it? No drug dealer ever worries about demand. Ever. The hunger for illegal drugs in America is assumed to be limitless. Why? One answer is that drugs feed a human despair that is equally limitless. And there is plenty of despair, no doubt. But the question becomes more complicated when you consider how many people are drugging themselves legally. In 2010 the CDC found that 48 percent of Americans used prescription drugs, 31 percent were taking two or more, and 11 percent were taking five or more. Two of the most common prescription drugs were stimulants, for adolescents, and anti-depressants, for middle-aged Americans.

Both the legal and illegal alteration of consciousness is at an all-time high. And it is quickly accelerating. One of the more interesting books published in the past year is Daniel Lieberman's The Story of the Human Body: Evolution, Health, and Disease. It is a fascinating study by the chair of the department of human evolutionary biology at Harvard of how our Paleolithic natures, set in a hypermodern reality, are failing to adjust. His conclusions on the future of the species are somewhat dark:   

"We didn't evolve to be healthy, but instead we were selected to have as many offspring as possible under diverse, challenging conditions. As a consequence, we never evolved to make rational choices about what to eat or how to exercise in conditions of abundance and comfort. What's more, interactions between the bodies we inherited, the environments we create, and the decisions we sometimes make have set in motion an insidious feedback loop. We get sick from chronic diseases by doing what we evolved to do but under conditions for which our bodies are poorly adapted, and we then pass on those same conditions to our children, who also then get sick."

Our psychological reality is equally unadjusted to the world we live in. Cortisol levels — the stress hormone — evolved to increase during moments of crisis, like when a lion attacks. If you live in a city, your cortisol levels are constantly elevated. You're always being chased. We are not built for that reality.

Lieberman's solution is that we "respectfully and sensibly nudge, push, and sometimes oblige ourselves" to make healthier decisions, to live more in keeping with our biology and to adapt to the modern world with sensible, rational limits. But the mass demand for drugs — the boundless need to opiate and numb ourselves — shows that the simpler solution remains, and will no doubt remain, much more popular. Just take something.

source

Offline RojoLeón

• Brentie's #1 fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #497 on: October 7, 2013, 04:01:10 pm »
I contend that the war on drugs, is a hugely successful marketing campaign and global PR drive that has worked exactly as it was intended to.

Supply is up.

'Profitability to overhead cost ratio' is up.

Global consciousness of the drugs on the market, is up.

Side businesses such and law enforcement, the judiciary, prision industrial complex, international transport security measures, racketeering, gangsterism in general, gun running, etc.. All up.

Money laundering and the sheer volume of drug money hitting the pockets of major banks executives, is up.

Who lost the war? We did. Wall street won.

For similar reasons, though I don't think it will be as cash successful financially, see 'The War on Terror'.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #498 on: October 8, 2013, 12:37:36 am »
The sun has set on the red horizon.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #499 on: October 8, 2013, 01:17:41 am »
I contend that the war on drugs, is a hugely successful marketing campaign and global PR drive that has worked exactly as it was intended to.

Supply is up.

'Profitability to overhead cost ratio' is up.

Global consciousness of the drugs on the market, is up.

Side businesses such and law enforcement, the judiciary, prision industrial complex, international transport security measures, racketeering, gangsterism in general, gun running, etc.. All up.

Money laundering and the sheer volume of drug money hitting the pockets of major banks executives, is up.

Who lost the war? We did. Wall street won.

For similar reasons, though I don't think it will be as cash successful financially, see 'The War on Terror'.

This theory is repulsive and disheartening and probably true.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline RojoLeón

• Brentie's #1 fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #500 on: October 17, 2013, 02:10:34 am »
http://www.latimes.com/food/dailydish/la-dd-oreo-cookies-addictive-cocaine-20131016,0,3166408.story

Oreos Sugar + fat as addictive as cocaine

It should come as no surprise to anyone that Oreo cookies were found to be as addictive as cocaine in a recent study. Our bodies are wired to like sugary, fatty foods, but it's not a habit that can't be kicked, according to New York City Dr. Timothy Morley, whose work includes helping women use nutrition to regulate hormone health.

"The first step in curing a sugar or fat addiction is, like with any addiction, realize you have it," said Morley. "This is difficult because we don't generally think of food as being biologically addictive like a drug, but it can be."

A research team at Connecticut College in New London conducted an experiment on rats using a maze with rice cakes on one side and Oreos on the other. The rats were observed on both sides of the maze.

"Just like humans, rats don't seem to get much pleasure out of eating rice cakes," Joseph Schroeder, who led the research team, told UPI.com.

The experiment results were compared with previous tests done on rats that were given shots of morphine or cocaine on one side of a maze and shots of saline on the other. The Oreo study showed that the rats eating the Oreos spent as much time on that side of the maze as those given the drugs.

The researchers also studied the pleasure center of the rats' brains and found that the Oreos activated more neurons than cocaine or morphine.

"Our research supports the theory that high-fat/high-sugar foods stimulate the brain in the same way that drugs do," Schroeder told the Connecticut College News. "It may explain why some people can’t resist these foods despite the fact that they know they are bad for them."

Morley believes that learning other ways to activate the pleasure centers is key in overcoming addiction to foods. He also recommends controlling the amount you eat and practicing portion control, educating yourself regarding good vs. bad foods and eliminating soda, high fructose corn syrup and sweeteners that can cause people to binge eat more often.

And according to the study, rats, just like many humans, like to eat the creamy filling first.  So the next time you get a mad craving to eat an entire bag of Oreos in one sitting, just blame it on your brain chemistry.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #501 on: October 23, 2013, 11:28:46 am »

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #502 on: October 24, 2013, 08:17:26 pm »
Well the people want it, so I'm sure the govt will get it done in an efficient manner

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #504 on: November 6, 2013, 05:45:11 pm »
Paging Corkboy, please report to the Curtis Warren thread. http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=220645.new#new

Repeat, Corkboy to the Curtis Warren thread. Stat.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #505 on: November 6, 2013, 08:23:49 pm »
You seem to be doing fine.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #506 on: November 14, 2013, 03:33:08 pm »
University of Utah doctors: Say ‘yes’ to cannabis oil for kids

Cannabidiol oil appears to be safe and holds “great promise as an anti-epileptic agent.”

Three Utah doctors, including the University of Utah’s top pediatric neurologist, have come out in support of families seeking access to a cannabis extract that has proven successful at stopping seizures.

"I would like to express my strong belief that [cannabidiol]-based oils (referred to here in Utah as Alepsia) should be available as soon as possible to Utah children with severe epilepsy. The substance is not psychoactíve or hallucinogenic, it contains less THC than do other materials that can be legally purchased in Utah, and it has absolutely no abuse potential," declared Francis Filloux, chief of the U.’s Division of Pediatric Neurology, in a letter shared Tuesday with Utah’s Controlled Substances Advisory Committee.

Full article

Offline ericthered10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #507 on: November 14, 2013, 04:04:48 pm »
Just recently heard about cannabinoid use for people within the autism spectrum. Apparently there was a Stanford study that showed positive signs that cannabinoids can help stimulate receptors that are triggered in the average person, but not in those with autism. Haven't found a good source about the study, but will keep looking and post it here when I do.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #508 on: November 14, 2013, 04:17:26 pm »
Just recently heard about cannabinoid use for people within the autism spectrum. Apparently there was a Stanford study that showed positive signs that cannabinoids can help stimulate receptors that are triggered in the average person, but not in those with autism. Haven't found a good source about the study, but will keep looking and post it here when I do.

"Before Hester-Perez used cannabis to treat his autism, school for Joey was more focused on behavior than education as his erratic and sometimes violent actions made him unpredictable and difficult to teach. Hester-Perez, who also had a 6-month-old at the time, was worried Joey might accidentally hurt her other son.

Today, Joey is no longer suffering from malnutrition and maintains a healthy body weight. He is also doing very well in school. Joey recently received a Presidential award for his academics and is a 4.0 student. As Hester-Perez put it, “within four years my son has turned into a model student… most of the symptoms that are used to assess for autism, Joey no longer has.”

http://medicalmarijuana.medijean.com/articles/how-medical-marijuana-can-help-sick-children/

Offline ericthered10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #509 on: November 14, 2013, 04:37:41 pm »
Definitely not what it was made out to be to me, but here's what I was referring to. The study by INSERM and UC Irvine mentioned in the article sounds interesting though.

http://www.autismdailynewscast.com/studies-finds-link-between-autism-and-cannabinoids/921/laurel-joss/

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #510 on: November 25, 2013, 08:07:35 pm »

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #511 on: November 25, 2013, 09:21:35 pm »

Looks like a good night out that stuff.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #512 on: November 25, 2013, 09:34:06 pm »
Looks like a good night out that stuff.

Night in, maybe.

Offline Schwindlig

• Anny Roader
« Reply #513 on: November 26, 2013, 01:10:50 am »

Ahh man the good ol' days.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #514 on: December 3, 2013, 03:11:39 pm »

Offline RojoLeón

• Brentie's #1 fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #515 on: December 4, 2013, 06:10:49 pm »
Operation 'double Afghanistan's heroin output', has been a roaring success.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-24919056

Afghan opium cultivation has reached a record level, with more than 200,000 hectares planted with the poppy for the first time, the United Nations says.

The UNODC report said the harvest was 36% up on last year, and if fully realised would outstrip global demand.

Most of the rise was in Helmand province, where British troops are preparing to withdraw.

One of the main reasons the UK sent troops to Helmand was to cut opium production.

This calls for more effective distribution and increasing numbers of addicted consumers. Global austerity should provide the socioeconomic conditions nessesary for this trade growth.

Offline robgreen91

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #516 on: December 5, 2013, 11:06:39 pm »
Operation 'double Afghanistan's heroin output', has been a roaring success.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-24919056

This calls for more effective distribution and increasing numbers of addicted consumers. Global austerity should provide the socioeconomic conditions nessesary for this trade growth.

lol ::)

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #517 on: December 11, 2013, 10:02:10 am »

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #518 on: December 11, 2013, 10:10:56 am »
Hmmm. I wonder will I still be able to draw my UK pension if I go and retire there....
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Death by Football

• Anny Roader
  • ► JFT96 ◄
« Reply #519 on: December 12, 2013, 01:30:42 am »
Was wondering if maybe one of our Uruguayan friends on here can tell me

- is there anything NOT to like about your president?

Seems like a truly great man from the little I know.