Author Topic: John Arne Riise...  (Read 43698 times)

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
Re: John Arne Riise...
« Reply #680 on: August 12, 2007, 09:15:06 pm »
So you accept he was poor last season. What makes you think there's been an up turn this new season. Or are you clinging onto the hope he will suddenly come good again?
Have you been following this thread or have you just jumped in? I've said all along he was dire last season. I said I was one of the first on RAWK to criticise his performances almost 2 years ago and it was met by some with derision. I also said he wasn't very good yesterday.

Riise had a bad season both on and off the pitch. We know he had off field problems. I'm not making an excuse for him but, as I've tried to stress, I feel that given his past performances for us that he deserves the opportunity at least to have another go. If, when he plays, his dire performances continue then by all means let him go but I still feel he has something to offer the squad, even if it is just his uncanny knack of coming up with something.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 09:18:43 pm by cornelius »

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #681 on: August 12, 2007, 09:17:52 pm »
More like enough rope to hang himself!
Oh yeah right, Rafa is clearly in a position to pick players who have stinkers just so he can justify getting rid. Jeezus if that's the mentality we're dealing with...

Offline Sweet Silver Song

• Rotation, rotation, rotation....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Proud not to be a hypocrite...
« Reply #682 on: August 12, 2007, 09:24:25 pm »
Have you been following this thread or have you just jumped in? I've said all along he was dire last season. I said I was one of the first on RAWK to criticise his performances almost 2 years ago and it was met by some with derision. I also said he wasn't very good yesterday.

Riise had a bad season both on and off the pitch. We know he had off field problems. I'm not making an excuse for him but, as I've tried to stress, I feel that given his past performances for us that he deserves the opportunity at least to have another go. If, when he plays, his dire performances continue then by all means let him go but I still feel he has something to offer the squad, even if it is just his uncanny knack of coming up with something.

You guessed right.  I didn't read through all 12 pages, and just jumped in. You are fair in  what you say. And his off field problems may have contributed to his poor form.

Whilst you say we should try and  and accommodate him.  I disagree. By all means accommodate him, pamper him, counsel him or whatever, but not at the expense of the first 11. We can't afford passengers if we are to seriously challenge in the league this season. I'd much rather have Insua, Arbeloa or even Aurelio (when fit) there at the moment. Riise will be welcomed back when he's ready.
*With such simplicity the European cup is won.
**Sour-ness, will he get a shot? Now Dalglish...across the face of the goaaaalllll!
***Alan Kennedy!...He goes on...he scores!
****Liverpool need a Grobbelaar save...or a Conti miss. They've got a Conti miss!
*****And Liverpool have won it! They're back...outsiders all the way...

Offline kopite matt

• Friday dinner Fred
  • Kemlynite
« Reply #683 on: August 12, 2007, 09:24:51 pm »
Oh yeah right, Rafa is clearly in a position to pick players who have stinkers just so he can justify getting rid. Jeezus if that's the mentality we're dealing with...

No, he isn't (or maybe after playing Zenden.........).

He will play him to let him prove himself and if he doesn't it's off to the gulag. Riise's grown up enough, surely, to realise he needs to work hard and improve. If he doesn't he's dumb, ginger AND shite!!!

opinions are like arseholes lid, everyones got one. And I realise i'm leaving myself wide open to purile abuse - from the wools on here, but c'est la vie - with that comment
When you reach a fork in the road, take it!

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #684 on: August 12, 2007, 09:26:17 pm »
You know, I used to think the media was full of shit headed lazy pricks that couldn't be arsed making their own minds up and just went along with the majority. I also used to fall for that Liverpool fans being the most knowledgeable football fans.
This thread just shows how wrong a fat boy can be.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline barbudo

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #685 on: August 12, 2007, 09:28:24 pm »
If you had 11 players like Riise in your team you would win a lot of matches, if you had 11 players like Pennant you would not win a single one.

Weakest link in the whole side?

What a completely fucked up statement.

What a completely unfalsifiable hypothesis.
Bethink ye, bethink ye ... that ye might be mistaken! (Oliver Cromwell)

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #686 on: August 12, 2007, 09:32:48 pm »
You guessed right.  I didn't read through all 12 pages, and just jumped in. You are fair in  what you say. And his off field problems may have contributed to his poor form.

Whilst you say we should try and  and accommodate him.  I disagree. By all means accommodate him, pamper him, counsel him or whatever, but not at the expense of the first 11. We can't afford passengers if we are to seriously challenge in the league this season. I'd much rather have Insua, Arbeloa or even Aurelio (when fit) there at the moment. Riise will be welcomed back when he's ready.
I never said he had to be in the first 11 (unless his performances warranted it) I'm just saying that he is worth another year in the squad and he deserves the benefit of the doubt.
He will play him to let him prove himself and if he doesn't it's off to the gulag.
Fuck me that's what I've been saying for the last hour.
from the wools on here
I've said this before and I'll say it again - if I was remotely bothered by this kind of dig, I wouldn't put my location in my profile would I? Like I said, mentality...

Offline chris2006

• Kopite
« Reply #687 on: August 12, 2007, 09:48:56 pm »
Rofl @ 'class'. Class is a word I'd associate with Alonso, Raul, Henry etc. Not fucking JAR.

Yeah but u talk out ya arse 24/7 and 365 days a year so i would listen to a single word that comes out of your mouth. JAR is class and has class.

Offline mikek1984

• Peel 'ed. Property of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAT RAT RAT RAT RAT RAT
« Reply #688 on: August 12, 2007, 09:50:39 pm »
If you had 11 players like Riise in your team you would win a lot of matches, if you had 11 players like Pennant you would not win a single one.

what the fuck are you talking about

i mean, do you have some sort of impairment
I LIKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Offline heather123

• not in the clique... and won't be if she keeps moaning...
  • Kopite
« Reply #689 on: August 12, 2007, 09:53:09 pm »
This topic on every LFC forum gets more boring by the day.  Some people like/rate him, others don't.  Constant threads like this do fuck all, end of the day, whilst he's wearing a red shirt on that pitch, get behind the lad.

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #690 on: August 12, 2007, 09:57:23 pm »
This topic on every LFC forum gets more boring by the day.  Some people like/rate him, others don't.  Constant threads like this do fuck all, end of the day, whilst he's wearing a red shirt on that pitch, get behind the lad.
what she said

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
« Reply #691 on: August 12, 2007, 10:01:19 pm »

As someone said earlier - he gets plenty of support in the ground like everyone else. What happens outside is just people discussing their opinions not 'getting on his back'. It's always happened, just it used to only be in the boozers or at work the day after not on the net.
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline heather123

• Kopite
« Reply #692 on: August 12, 2007, 10:04:20 pm »
As someone said earlier - he gets plenty of support in the ground like everyone else. What happens outside is just people discussing their opinions not 'getting on his back'. It's always happened, just it used to only be in the boozers or at work the day after not on the net.

Fair enough, but what I was getting at is that it's getting a daily thing to slag him off everywhere, I think the point has been now made without everybody adding their two pennies worth every 2 minutes.

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
« Reply #693 on: August 12, 2007, 10:15:33 pm »
Fair enough, but what I was getting at is that it's getting a daily thing to slag him off everywhere, I think the point has been now made without everybody adding their two pennies worth every 2 minutes.

OK, but the same can be said of those who rate him. I agree it goes round and round and never gets anywhere but you seem to be somehow suggesting it's more laudible to praise him whether he deserves it or not. A kind of 'If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all' for footballers. It'll never happen.
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline heather123

• Kopite
« Reply #694 on: August 12, 2007, 10:30:01 pm »
OK, but the same can be said of those who rate him. I agree it goes round and round and never gets anywhere but you seem to be somehow suggesting it's more laudible to praise him whether he deserves it or not. A kind of 'If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all' for footballers. It'll never happen.

Not at all, simply pointing out that it's getting boring, same as the whole Gerrard slating was.

Offline Red_in_Holland

• arl arse
  • Legacy Fan
  • Attack is the best defense.. btw we have both
« Reply #695 on: August 12, 2007, 10:31:47 pm »
Anyone else notice that Riise seems to be more aware of his precarious position in the squad nowadays ?

He will try shots now that even he would of flinched away from previously.   The worry over how secure his place is, is spoiling his concentration, and forcing him to be greedy now, where before he would have looked for the cross/pass.
There was one shot yesterday that said it all for me, his face after he tried it, told me he knew he should of passed it.

Thats a serious worry for a lad in his position, I hope he tries to show his value in more ways than crashing it as hard as he can, anytime he is over the halfway line.

Bit unfair critique going on in this thread, he certainly isnt the be-all and end-all as either a LB or LM, but as said he has tried his utmost and delivered winning scorchers for us in the past.  So deserved respect for his service to LFC as much as anything else.

As I stated, I think he can feel the end drawing near, or at least feels threatened enough, that his play seems wilder than normal.  Trying too hard maybe..  just a thought.  I can see him being replaced, Heinz as stopgap, but Insua is groomed and will be ready in a season or so.

JAR is not my favourite player by any means, certainly not shit either though.

RiH
Los Rojos Conquistadores
"It's good to have a challenge in training. If you play against one of the best strikers in the Premier League almost everyday, that can only help you when the game comes around each weekend."

Asked if he had worked out how to stop Torres, Hyypia added: "I'm working on it, I'm working on it.

Offline Art Vandelay

• a.k.a. Terry Gilliam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #696 on: August 12, 2007, 10:38:09 pm »
Johhhhnnnnnn Arne Riise
Ooooh Ahhhh
I wanna knoo-ooo-oow
How you get in the team....
"And on the pedestal these words appear: 'My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!' Nothing beside remains."

Offline mikek1984

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #697 on: August 12, 2007, 10:49:52 pm »
mister art

i see your avatar is homer

is that the scene from wacking day?

Offline Art Vandelay

• a.k.a. Terry Gilliam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #698 on: August 12, 2007, 10:57:29 pm »
mister art

i see your avatar is homer

is that the scene from wacking day?

Yes it's an animated gif of him from whacking day...but it doesn't actually move on here...I guess the file is too big or something.
"And on the pedestal these words appear: 'My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!' Nothing beside remains."

Offline mikek1984

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #699 on: August 12, 2007, 11:05:41 pm »
thats a shame that is :(

Offline rakey_lfc

• pwned by Ronaldo...and eBay
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a people's man - only the people matter.”
« Reply #700 on: August 12, 2007, 11:56:35 pm »
Rofl @ 'class'. Class is a word I'd associate with Alonso, Raul, Henry etc. Not fucking JAR.

Maybe not world class, but definately has had some sheer moments of brilliance since hes been here.
I am a fan of riise but i dont deny hes not been as good as when he first joined. Hopefully with Babel and Kewell breathing down his neck he'll get hes arse back in gear
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Xbox 360 gamertag - TonyB1604

Offline L10 RED

• Main Stander
« Reply #701 on: August 13, 2007, 12:19:11 am »
Ask every fan to name our best defence from a fully fit squad, and what would you get?

I'd say 99.99% of fans would select Reina, Finnan, Carragher and Agger as 4 of the 5.

Then there'd be a split between Riise, Aurelio and Arbeloa for the left back slot.

That tells me, that despite Riise being at the club for so many years, he still hasn't made that position his own. Speaks volumes. It's a weakness.

Excellent post and very valid final point.

Offline billypilgrimnz

• troll stuck under a bridge in Stoke.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #702 on: August 13, 2007, 12:42:38 am »

Even by your standards Kaizer, this is a terrible line of reasoning. I mean, utterly abysmal. Even a 5 year old child would be embarrassed to offer that as an argument.

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #703 on: August 13, 2007, 12:47:56 am »
He had a stinker last season, but you have to bear in mind that for starters he got injured twice in the first month, and then the off field situation with his money was bound to affect his performances a bit

Give him til January to see how he goes, then by all means, if we get someone else in get rid, until then I dont feel safe enough, given that Aurelio and kewell can be injury prone...

Thats my two cents anyway...
I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager.

"Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone
YNWA Rafa.

Offline JamesG L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #704 on: August 13, 2007, 02:01:32 am »
If you had 11 players like Riise in your team you would win a lot of matches

He's total shite in goal.
---It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money, a choice, right now, between fear and love-- william melvin hicks

Offline albertared

• Left England in 1990 - probably chased by a mob.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #705 on: August 13, 2007, 02:11:38 am »
Lol ! A bit harsh mind.

The 'Come on Heinze' thing though, I will agree with wholeheartedly. An absolute quality player. he was by far the best LB in the country in his first season at OT. And what he would do in our team, would not merely be quality in both defence & attack from the LB position, but it would allow us to play a more attack minded LM ahead of him, & still have the solid base. Something that cannot be said with either Riise or Aurelio at LB.

read your own post again, noteably the line that includes "in his first season", and possibly reconsider your opinion of heinze.

i agree that he WAS awesome in his first season but he has been useless since his return from injury and he is only going to decline from here. i just don't see why we want to pay top money and huge wages just so that he can have a nice fat retirement fund.

no, leave him rot at OT.

as for JAR, i agree he is limited and we definitely do need an upgrade but surely kewell is the answer for left mid and aurelio at LB so what is really the problem?
Left England 1990...still on our perch...I think I'd better come back because it's all gone haywire since!

Offline The Infamous_LFC

• Doubting Thommo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #706 on: August 13, 2007, 02:14:02 am »
Even by your standards Kaizer, this is a terrible line of reasoning. I mean, utterly abysmal. Even a 5 year old child would be embarrassed to offer that as an argument.
;D

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #707 on: August 13, 2007, 03:37:08 am »

Behave. Kaizer's standards as a RAWK poster are top notch. Far better than Riise's standards as a footballer ;D

Offline gritsvanilla

• Legacy Fan
  • A Light Souffle With Razor Blades
« Reply #708 on: August 13, 2007, 03:42:29 am »
Behave. Kaizer's standards as a RAWK poster are top notch. Far better than Riise's standards as a footballer ;D

Maybe we could get Kaiser to play Left Back, an obstinate defender and prone to the odd wild moment in attack, a definite improvement on Riise  ;)

Offline barbudo

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #709 on: August 13, 2007, 03:55:20 am »
as for JAR, i agree he is limited and we definitely do need an upgrade but surely kewell is the answer for left mid and aurelio at LB so what is really the problem?

You're right, but as long as the "upgrades" are accident-prone JAR is unlikely to be put on the open market.  Aurelio is a far better footballer (by any criterion) than JAR, but could succumb to an injury lacing his boots, and Kewell looked like he'd had one injury too many in pre-season.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #710 on: August 13, 2007, 04:15:01 am »
Maybe we could get Kaiser to play Left Back, an obstinate defender and prone to the odd wild moment in attack, a definite improvement on Riise  ;)

;D

You're right, but as long as the "upgrades" are accident-prone JAR is unlikely to be put on the open market.  Aurelio is a far better footballer (by any criterion) than JAR, but could succumb to an injury lacing his boots, and Kewell looked like he'd had one injury too many in pre-season.

We've got plenty of options in both positions though. Heinze looks like he'll be coming in. When he does we'll have no less than 5 options for the LB position. Even if Aurelio gets injured and Riise gets shipped out we'll still have the so far very reliable and ever improving Insua to back Heinze up. And even if one of those two got injured there'd still be Arbeloa. We have more depth there than any position but CM in fact.

As for LM- Kewell, Aurelio, Benayoun, Babel, Leto. Again plenty of 'possibilities'.

Offline barbudo

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #711 on: August 13, 2007, 04:32:19 am »
G
;D

We've got plenty of options in both positions though. Heinze looks like he'll be coming in. When he does we'll have no less than 5 options for the LB position. Even if Aurelio gets injured and Riise gets shipped out we'll still have the so far very reliable and ever improving Insua to back Heinze up. And even if one of those two got injured there'd still be Arbeloa. We have more depth there than any position but CM in fact.

As for LM- Kewell, Aurelio, Benayoun, Babel, Leto. Again plenty of 'possibilities'.

I'm sure I've seen a figure of 7M bandied about for Riise on RAWK in the last few days.  So, would SAF give us Heinze and some old nets in exchange?

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #712 on: August 13, 2007, 05:00:15 am »
No problem with John being in the side at all, but only at LB. I never want to see him at LM again, some of the things he did and tried to do on Saturday were, quite frankly embarrassing. He's much better at running into space from deep.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #713 on: August 13, 2007, 05:24:19 am »
No problem with John being in the side at all, but only at LB. I never want to see him at LM again, some of the things he did and tried to do on Saturday were, quite frankly embarrassing. He's much better at running into space from deep.

Agreed

Offline otitito

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #714 on: August 13, 2007, 07:52:41 am »
Team of Carraghers would win less than Pennants then? ;p

JAR deserves his place in the team. Fast, strong, defensively stable.
He's not the best defender, but I wouldn't mind if the back line produced most cleansheet in 2 seasons in a row.
Then, he can attack too, which is the quality we need more now.

Offline shangtsung

• fucking thick
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • to be honest
« Reply #715 on: August 13, 2007, 08:01:18 am »
Yeah but u talk out ya arse 24/7 and 365 days a year so i would listen to a single word that comes out of your mouth. JAR is class and has class.

You know NOTHING about football if you believe Riise is class. You must be a shite footballer yourself too. Riise is technically inept, atrocious at times in fact. No awareness or composure in possession. He has a good shot and works hard. Let's sign Pedro fucking Mendes.
Watch your back.

Offline shangtsung

• fucking thick
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • to be honest
« Reply #716 on: August 13, 2007, 08:04:16 am »
Rofl @ Kaizer probably thinking Riise is better than Zambrotta.
Watch your back.

Offline chris2006

• Kopite
« Reply #717 on: August 13, 2007, 12:11:59 pm »
rofl @ you for rofl'ing at people. Bellend

Offline Notayesman

• Really, really hates Quaresma with a passion that outshines the brightest star in the galaxy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #718 on: August 13, 2007, 03:28:44 pm »
Riise created our two greatest chances yesterday and helped neutralize Villa`s right hand side, but in general he was not up to his usual standard.

But to start a thread about him because of this is worse than Riise`s performance.

My God the unbelievable irony of that post.

Offline azer

• Misanthrope who thinks we were battered by Sunderland.
  • Legacy Fan
  • do i not like orange?
« Reply #719 on: August 13, 2007, 03:53:39 pm »
what idiot said aurelio was better than riise??

There isnt a better left back in the PL at the moment, he has been doing it week in week out for a good few seasons.
Can anyone name a better, more consistent left back over the last 3-4 years?
Something quaint and witty.