Author Topic: Bordeaux vs Liverpool, CL, 18th Oct 2006 (PreMatch Build Up)  (Read 10239 times)

Offline you beauty

• Main Stander
Re: Bordeaux vs Liverpool, CL, 18th Oct 2006 (PreMatch Build Up)
« Reply #80 on: October 17, 2006, 09:48:00 am »
When all is down he's the only one who's still running at 100km/h, taking on defenders, getting to the end of those passes, diving into tackles, and most especially scoring those critical goals. My Man Utd fan colleague said that's the problem with the guy - he only plays like superman when there's a need to rescue something.

I don't agree with that. He's actually played a bit like that in most of his games.

Offline Hitachi

• Main Stander
« Reply #81 on: October 17, 2006, 09:51:10 am »
When all is down he's the only one who's still running at 100km/h, taking on defenders, getting to the end of those passes, diving into tackles, and most especially scoring those critical goals

You forgot skulking round with a constipated look on his grid and a huge chip on his shoulder because he can't play in every position and win the cup all by himself, like Roy Of the Rovers.

Offline a partridge in seat_5c

• blames English football
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #82 on: October 17, 2006, 09:52:43 am »
Indeed.

I'd be more concerned that it looks like Momo will still be missing.

yeah cos he really showed the pie-eaters how to play didn't he

Offline beardsley4ever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: October 17, 2006, 10:03:12 am »
Here comes the Gerrard abuse. ::)

The squad is good enough to win this. 2-0 to us.

Offline Kop4

• Legacy Fan
  • Can't get his avatar's boobs to jiggle.
« Reply #84 on: October 17, 2006, 10:06:43 am »
Gerrard out of tonights game - hamstring injury

{gulp}

Where is Igor? Just when you need one of his 'I'm Stevie G in disguise' type of European performance .... :D

We'll be fine without him (or should I say both?)
A travesty of a sham of a mockery.

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #85 on: October 17, 2006, 10:07:57 am »
I think we could win this, itll be tough but Bordeaux were some way behind the champions Lyon last year, theyre in there on merit certainly but theyre not THAT good
I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager.

"Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone
YNWA Rafa.

Offline Rahul24

• Main Stander
« Reply #86 on: October 17, 2006, 10:08:46 am »
Our first purpose is not to lose and i expect us to play a 4-5-1 formation.More or less we will try getting them on the break and if possible nick a goal.The confidence very low, key personnel out and more or less we are expecting our back up players to make sure we come out with a point.Any league aspirations hve disappeared and all we can do up to May is just play for pride and seal a cl spot.We hve lost 3 games already and 30 games to go u got to expect us to lose a few more.We hve one of the worst record away from home this season 1 goal scored not looking too pretty going up to old trafford.The position we are in is more down to the poor form of our more reliable players and unfortunately the new lads are being made scape goats for poor results.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #87 on: October 17, 2006, 10:10:40 am »
GERRARD OUT OF CHAMPIONS LEAGUE CLASH
Paul Eaton 17 October 2006 
  Steven Gerrard has been ruled out of tomorrow night's Champions League clash in Bordeaux with a minor hamstring injury. 
The Liverpool squad will depart for France this morning without their skipper, who will stay behind to receive treatment at Melwood.

Speaking at Melwood today, manager Rafael Benitez explained: "Steven felt something in his hamstring after the Blackburn game and he is still feeling it.

"We have spoken with the doctor and decided it's not worth taking a risk with him and so he won't be involved in Bordeaux. If this was the last game of the season and he needed to play then he could, but at this moment we think it's too big a risk.

"I think it's just a matter of an extra couple of days and then he will be fine."

Benitez also revealed the Reds will be without Robbie Fowler and Daniel Agger in France as both players continue to recover from knocks.

Momo Sissoko and Dirk Kuyt will travel, but it's unlikely both will figure in the game.

"I would say Momo has an eighty per cent chance of playing and Kuyt just twenty per cent," added Benitez.

Lee Peltier has been added to the travelling party. 

Why bring kuyt  ?????

Offline Red-juvenated

• Legacy Fan
  • "Normal One"
« Reply #88 on: October 17, 2006, 10:15:50 am »
"Why bring kuyt  ??"

Could do enough damage even if he came on for the last 10 minutes.
Doubters to Believers

Offline Harry_Wong

• RAWK Security Consultant. a right burka
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red in the Head
« Reply #89 on: October 17, 2006, 10:17:11 am »
When I've seen Bordeaux, they looked big, strong and fast, but not particularly artful.

It's important they don't get running at our centre backs, so I hope they're well protected by two central midfielders, as long as the CBs (Hyypia & Carra) and CMs (Alonso & Zenden/Momo) keep their discipline, they should see off the challenge from direct attacks, and from crosses in from the flanks (Finnan & Aurelio).

LG, Gonzo/Riise, and Pennant to work up front with Crouch.

We can nick a goal, and open up Bordeaux. The most important thing is to staryt keeping clean sheets, so I hope Reina has a steady game, and there's some discipline in the defence in front of him.

I'd like to see the players demand that from one another more this season.
Bill Shankly invites reporters into the changing room to meet his new captain, Ron Yeats:
"I've just signed a colossus. Come in and walk round him…"
1961-71: Promoted 1st season, 2 Championships, 1 FA Cup

Offline Shanklygates

• This is not a Custom Title.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The runaway train.....
« Reply #90 on: October 17, 2006, 10:28:59 am »
So if they're now calling Gerrard's a hamstring injury, then maybe it's sciatica - back, down to thigh. In which case, rest and some Ibuprofen should see him fit and raring to go on Sunday if it's only minor as they say. Fingers crossed.

As for Kuyt - reckon 80% likely is good enough - worth taking him. Surprised Momo only has a 20% chance of playing but ... Maybe Rafa meant from the start?!
We are a team of one half.

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
« Reply #91 on: October 17, 2006, 10:43:56 am »
"I would say Momo has an eighty per cent chance of playing and Kuyt just twenty per cent," added Benitez.

As for Kuyt - reckon 80% likely is good enough - worth taking him. Surprised Momo only has a 20% chance of playing but ... Maybe Rafa meant from the start?!

Spot the difference :wave
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline red4ever

• Kopite
« Reply #92 on: October 17, 2006, 10:45:00 am »

Umm, I think it's the other way around...

Momo Sissoko and Dirk Kuyt will travel, but it's unlikely both will figure in the game. "I would say Momo has an eighty per cent chance of playing and Kuyt just twenty per cent," added Benitez.

Reina
Finnan, Carra, Sami, Warnock
Luis, Xabi, Momo/Zenden, Riise
Bellamy, Crouch

is what I'd like to see.
PS3 PSN: aks-78                     Xbox Gamertag: aksb78

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
    • Footy fans
« Reply #93 on: October 17, 2006, 10:51:18 am »
Based on the new information we have, I'd go with:

Reina

Finnan
Carra
Hyypia
Riise

Pennant
Alonso
Sissoko
Gonzales

Garcia
Crouch

and if Sissoko is unavailable replace him with Zenden.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #94 on: October 17, 2006, 10:52:42 am »
Based on the new information we have, I'd go with:

Reina

Finnan
Carra
Hyypia
Riise

Pennant
Alonso
Sissoko
Gonzales

Garcia
Crouch

and if Sissoko is unavailable replace him with Zenden.
I will agree with you, but only because you are pretty.

Offline Shanklygates

• This is not a Custom Title.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The runaway train.....
« Reply #95 on: October 17, 2006, 10:59:45 am »
Spot the difference :wave
Umm, I think it's the other way around...

:butt  :-[

Cheers! Next time I'll engage my brain before letting my fingers loose on the keyboard! ;D
Makes more sense that Momo has a greater chance - though I'm sure Kuyt will be keen to prove he's fit enough!
We are a team of one half.

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
    • Footy fans
« Reply #96 on: October 17, 2006, 11:03:14 am »
I will agree with you, but only because you are pretty.

Why stop it, you're making me blush!

Offline Rafa In Istanbul

• Anny Roader
  • Kopite For Life!
« Reply #97 on: October 17, 2006, 11:19:47 am »
What is with the gerrard abuse lads......pisses me off big time. We all know the performances he's put in and what hes helped us achieved and i cant count the number of games he has won us it single handedly....everybody has bad spells....he is world class which means he will find his form.

Offline Socratease

• RAWK Philosopher
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red & White Kop
« Reply #98 on: October 17, 2006, 11:39:49 am »
I've just seen this thread! :-[  ;)

Rafael Benitez's pre-BORDEAUX press conference was concise, but sweet!

He made several references about our club, obviously  ;D, and even though short, compared to previous ones - conferences - he says so much more, if you listen!

My first point, and possibly the most important, is the answer to the interviewer with the 'key'. Rafa is asked how the new recruits are doing and he says they are doing okay. Now consider that Rafa's response becomes acutely holistic, he is thoroughly aware of what it takes for newcomers who have quality, to gel with the successful first Team players.

He responds
(non ad verbatim),'For me the key is the players that were playing really well last season must play really well this year, and the other (new) players have quality for playing well, IF the rest of the Team is playing well!'

In other words - lead by example!

Rafael Benitez's english has improved exponentially, I loved this quip, 'Every time a striker scores - it's an issue.'

;D Brill!

Confident?

Hell, Yeah!!!!!

:scarf

The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance.

Socrates

Offline paulk

• Boys Pen
  • YNWA
« Reply #99 on: October 17, 2006, 11:45:38 am »
I agree with HH but think Rafa will start with Zenden instead of Gonzales to give us a stronger presence in midfield. I'd also prefer not to start with Pennant as his form isn't great just now, but with Stevie out we have no alternative it seems.

This team is good enough to win 2-1
We've got 5 Jose, how many have you?

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: October 17, 2006, 12:23:27 pm »
Bordeaux are physically tough so Sissoko is a muct for this game otherwise we're very lightweight in midfield.  But nonetheless I'd still play Gonzales as european football suits his style more and we're likely to get something out of him.   Same for Garcia.     

Reina

Finnan   Carra  Hyypia  Riise

Pennant  Sissoko  Alonso  Gonzales
                (Zenden)

Garcia
                         Crouch

If we're struglling for possesion, then possibly push Riise into LW for Gonzales and bring on Aurelio at LB. 

If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....

Offline Pit Bryan

• Anny Roader
« Reply #101 on: October 17, 2006, 12:30:28 pm »
Reina

Finnan
Carra
Hyypia
Riise

Pennant
Alonso
Sissoko
Gonzalez

Garcia
Crouch

Offline Neil D

• The new Kop pin-up model. Met Momo in the ASDA.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: October 17, 2006, 12:55:45 pm »
What's the score with Gonzalez? Is he fit now? Was he fit on Saturday?

I'd love to see him in the team more often, I really think when he settles we will have a very special player on our hands, a proper winger in the mould of Ronaldo who terrorises defences with pace and skill and chips in with 10+ goals a season.

More often than not I think it's this type of player we have lacked for the last 10 years.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 01:02:29 pm by Neil D »

Offline a partridge in seat_5c

• blames English football
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: October 17, 2006, 01:24:07 pm »
can't believe the negativity

this is bleedin' Bordeaux

if Laslandes (failed in Scotland) and Darcheville (failed at Forest in div 2) are their strikers we couldplay with Traore on his own at centre back and still win this...

Offline fru

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: October 17, 2006, 01:50:06 pm »
I'd be worried if we ended up starting this game without Momo along with missing Stevie as well to be honest. I think we should start with Crouch up front and Garcia playing in behind him and exploit Bellamy's pace of the bench. I reckon putting Bellamy on the bench after scoring on Sat would piss him off slightly and then when he's let loose he will have a point to prove.

What is interesting though is the LM/LB position. On Saturday there was long stretches with Aurelio playing LB and Riise in LM. I wasn't too sure this was the right way to play them. Although they are slightly similar players having both defensive and attacking qualities, I'm pretty sure it is best to leave Riise at LB. Aurelio has on several occasions been caught in-field and we've been exposed on the left. It seems obvious to keep the starting back 4 that won us the European cup in the first place, but then Rafa is not an obvious kind of guy, obviously.

Offline otitito

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: October 17, 2006, 02:44:45 pm »
no pennant pls..
1-0 for us..

Offline Rafas3leggedtable

• Legacy Fan
crunch time
« Reply #106 on: October 17, 2006, 03:27:09 pm »
With 2 very important games looming I think it is the time for Rafa to be brave and go with the players who can up the tempo that at the moment is so badly lacking.

IMO….

Kuyt will play at least some role tomorrow and all the game on Sunday. Crouch will be the partner on Sunday. Bellamy will be the partner tomorrow night.

Sissoko will play both games – obviously at the expense of Gerrard tomorrow but at the expense of Alonso on Sunday. Horses for courses I’m afraid and Man U away  while they are flying is still not on Alonso’s CV I’m afraid. Sissoko is key to us playing well again.

Gonzalez and Riise to operate on the left in both games.

Gerrard to have a free role but more often than not drifting to the right on Sunday. Tomorrow night Zenden to fill in that role. Rafa likes him in there and I can see why too. He is tidy in a Didi-esque sort of way.

Reina and Finnan to play both games. Agger and Hypia tomorrow night. Agger and Carra on Sunday.

Have I covered every angle?
The people of Liverpool are workers. This is not a rich town where everyone lives a comfortable life. They work hard for themselves, and this is what we at Liverpool like to do. This is the attitude we must all have.

Offline Red number seven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Today's newspaper, tomorrow's chip paper
Re: crunch time
« Reply #107 on: October 17, 2006, 04:07:16 pm »

Sissoko will play both games – obviously at the expense of Gerrard tomorrow but at the expense of Alonso on Sunday. Horses for courses I’m afraid and Man U away  while they are flying is still not on Alonso’s CV I’m afraid. Sissoko is key to us playing well again.

No chance. Xabi will play against United. If fit, Stevie will play wide, Xabi and Momo centrally. The other options give no defensive cover for the full backs, and those are the areas Utd hurt you.

Why is United away not on Xabi's cv? He's not a pretty passer who doesn't like the rough stuff - he won more tackles last season than anyone. Plus he is our only midfielder who is any good at keeping possession - crucial in a tough away. Plus Utd's centre midfield is shit anyway - stopping Ronaldo is the difficult thing.
"You just have to give them credit for not throwing in the towel" - Gennaro Gattuso, May, 2005

And then we'll get 4th as well and everyone in the whole world can do one.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: October 17, 2006, 06:20:52 pm »

Considering who is traveling I figure the below might get selected

Reina
Finnan Carragher Hyppia Warnock
Garcia Momo Alonso Zenden Riise
Crouch
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline lfcbabe1984

• Kopite
  • Stevie G's the man!
    • Diane's Wonderland
« Reply #109 on: October 17, 2006, 06:48:40 pm »
All I want to know is which report to believe about Smicer. CL Weekly says he's fit and other reports say he isn't. Which is it? Guess I'll have to watch and see, and hope if he doesn't play he's fit for the Anfield leg.
You'll Never Walk Alone!

Offline Redlady

• Fantasy Football Queen
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: October 17, 2006, 06:58:34 pm »
All I want to know is which report to believe about Smicer. CL Weekly says he's fit and other reports say he isn't. Which is it? Guess I'll have to watch and see, and hope if he doesn't play he's fit for the Anfield leg.

It's sounding like he won't play, certainly not start anyway. He's just returning from a long knee injury. The Echo have him down as possibly making the bench, at best. Sounds like he should be fit for the Anfield leg though.

I hope Garcia gets a start after his promising sub appearances of late.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #111 on: October 17, 2006, 07:16:26 pm »
Its unlikely that we see Momo tomoro, and its likely that Zenden will start. Maybe Rafa will go for a one up front and get Garcia tucked in behind him
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Coutinho's balls
« Reply #112 on: October 17, 2006, 07:26:10 pm »
We have got to win this match to get into the right frame of mind for Old Trafford. I'm backing Luis to get a beauty of a winner.
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline Red number seven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: October 17, 2006, 07:31:52 pm »
Vladi injured? I find that difficult to believe!

It would have to be something serious to keep such a robust man's man out of a big game.
"You just have to give them credit for not throwing in the towel" - Gennaro Gattuso, May, 2005

Offline Kyle Soprano

• Doing his BTEC Sports Science but still knows fuck all
  • Legacy Fan
  • You & I Are Gonna Live Forever
« Reply #114 on: October 17, 2006, 07:51:41 pm »
I'd expect Vlad to play even if he had 2 broken legs after some of the comments hes made this week.

should be comfortable for the reds i'll go for a 2-0 win

Crouch & Zenden
I only drink on special occasions. Like Fridays and Saturdays. The occasional Sunday. Sometimes even Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday. Never Thursday. Well, every so often maybe a Thursday.

Offline Red number seven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: October 17, 2006, 08:00:18 pm »
I'd expect Vlad to play even if he had 2 broken legs after some of the comments hes made this week.

should be comfortable for the reds i'll go for a 2-0 win

Crouch & Zenden
I couldn't see him playing with two broken fingernails, let alone two broken legs.

I love Vladi to bits for a variety of reasons, and had a lot of time for him when he played for us (unlike a lot of people who now seem to adore him) but his physical robustness and hunger for a physical fight didn't number amongst them!

Offline Consigliere

• Through a glass darkly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: October 17, 2006, 08:49:29 pm »
I just wonder whether Benitez has spent so much time assembling a squad of players that are 'square pegs, in square holes' playing to a system that we no longer have any semblance of those undepredictable, individualistic, (albeit) inconsitent players that do weird and wonderful things at weird and wonderful times.

The unpredictability and occasional individual magic that you get from players like Pongolle (brilliant at coming off the bench to liven things up), Baros (who gave some brilliant European performances pulling defenders all over the place), Mellor and Smicer, seems to be rather lacking at the moment. Opposition teams and managers watch the videos and know exactly how players like Crouch, Pennant, Zenden, Bellamy, Sissoko, Riise, Aurelio et al and dare I say Alonso are going play. Aside from Garcia, the team that's likely to start against Bordeaux looks very predictable, in terms of how they're going to play.

Perhaps we could with a few more 'jack in the box' type players to liven things up.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: October 17, 2006, 09:18:11 pm »
Perhaps we could with a few more 'jack in the box' type players to liven things up.

I think we have them. For Pongolle, we could write Pennant. For Baros, we could write Kuyt. The players we have now are better. I believe players like Gonzalez, Aurelio and Pennant capable of changing games for us. Aurelio for me is not a LB, he's a LM.

We have struggled recently, but I hope and think it's only a matter of time before things begin to click.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Le Terrible

• GAJAJ AlbertStubbinsGU
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: October 18, 2006, 12:39:15 am »
I am interested to hear than Peltier has been added to squad.  The lad may get a run out if Sissoko fails a late fitness test and Rafa bricks it about Zenden.  I've not seen the lad play, but he is advertised as hard tacklin' defensive central midfielder.  That said, he's been playing right back in recent reserves games so that Zenden can do his stuff in the middle.

Here's Rafa take on the match tomorrow.

"When you are top of the group and away then you must be really, really solid in defence. Bordeaux know they have to win. We have to be calm and not talk about winning before the game. We have a saying in Spain: you cannot sell the skin of a bear until you have caught it!"

It seems like Rafa might just know the answer to that age old question:  Does a Bear shit in the Woods?

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: October 18, 2006, 01:16:31 am »

The papers preview the Bordeaux game. The Times...

Benítez left hamstrung as midfield duo struggle

James Ducker in Bordeaux

Steven Gerrard will have to wait a little longer to make his 350th appearance for Liverpool after he was ruled out of the Champions League match against Bordeaux this evening because of injury.

With Mohamed Sissoko struggling to overcome an ankle problem, it leaves Rafael Benítez short of options in central midfield, but while the Liverpool manager’s immediate concern is to maintain a stranglehold on group C with victory here, the prospect of travelling to Manchester United on Sunday without two of his most important players provided an unwelcome distraction.

Gerrard suffered a hamstring injury in the 1-1 draw against Blackburn Rovers on Saturday, but, despite completing the match, the problem has not responded to treatment.

With Liverpool trailing United — and Chelsea — by eight points in the Barclays Premiership, Benítez knows that anything less than three points at Old Trafford could bring a premature end to their title hopes and so, while the manager gave Sissoko an “80 per cent” chance yesterday of being fit to face Bordeaux, he may opt not to risk the Mali midfield player, given the concerns over Gerrard’s fitness. Boudewijn Zenden may deputise.

In Gerrard’s absence, the responsibility of captaining the team this evening will fall to Jamie Carragher, usually so dependable but a player enduring a difficult time of late.

If a lack of fitness helped to explain the runaround Carragher was given by Andrew Johnson in the 3-0 derby defeat by Everton last month, the reasons for the England defender’s poor displays against Galatasaray, when Liverpool clung on to a 3-2 lead, Bolton Wanderers and Blackburn, have been harder to pinpoint.

Benítez is backing Carragher to rediscover his best form against Bordeaux, however, and believes that more players should learn to shoulder the blame like the defender. “Carra knows that he was playing really well in the last two seasons and that he needs to go to the same level,” Benítez said. “Carra is one of the players who won’t hide. He knows that he needs to improve and is working hard to improve. Since the Everton game he has been much better.”

While Bordeaux have lost three of their four previous games against English opposition, Liverpool have been beaten in six of their seven matches away to French teams and, more significantly, have not won any of their six Premiership and European games on the road this season.

Bordeaux, who are fifth in the French league — ten points behind Lyons, the leaders — will be no pushovers. But they have failed to score a goal in the competition, and have only a point to their name, and Liverpool will be disappointed if they do not come away with the win that will go a long way towards ensuring qualification for the next phase.

“When you’re top of the group, like we are, it’s really important to be solid in defence playing away because Bordeaux know they have to win,” Benítez said. “If they don’t it will probably be the end for them.

“They need to go forward and must attack, so it’s important for us to be calm. We’re playing well for 30 minutes, but we need to be consistent for the full 90.”

KEY CLASH - FERNANDO MENEGAZZO V XABI ALONSO

With Steven Gerrard, the captain definitely out and Mohammed Sissoko a serious doubt, Alonso's role in midfield will assume greater importance tonight.

Alonso has not enjoyed the best of form over the past month but the Spain midfield player's penetrative passing could be the key to unlocking the opposition's defense.

In his way will be Menegazzo capped by Brasil at youth level, whose understated style embodies a Bordeaux side short on stars and egos, but committed nonetheless.

The 25-year-old operates in the holding role, but that should not disguise his ability to link defense and attack.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,762-2409186,00.html

87:13