Author Topic: Is something going on for Juventus?  (Read 18176 times)

Offline geesyub

• Kopite
Is something going on for Juventus?
« on: May 5, 2006, 02:33:42 pm »
Juve face fresh probe
By Nadia Carminati -  Created on 5 May 2006

An investigation has been launched into tapped telephone conversations which recorded Juventus general manager Luciano Moggi discussing referees.

The Italian Football Federation have opened an inquiry into the allegations, which were published in newspapers.

Moggi is recorded talking to Pierluigi Pairetto - who was then in charge of refereeing appointments - during the 2004/05 season.

The wire-tapping took place due to the Turin public prosecutors' investigation into the doping trial which concerned Juventus.

The content of Moggi's calls to Pairetto is now being examined, with Federation president Franco Carraro worried about the outcome.

"I feel like millions of fans - concerned, sad and angry," said Carraro.

"Errors can be made, but the important thing is that they are discovered, verified and that the necessary sanctions arrive."

Juventus managing director Antonio Giraudo is also on the taps and is disappointed at how the allegations have entered the public domain.

"I'd like to know why these intercepts were given first to newspapers and not to us or our lawyers," said Giraudo.

"We found out about this through the newspapers and it is only today that we have received copies.

"It is incredible that the fundamental rights of people can be of so little concern.

"Once again Juventus and its directors are under the spotlight of a media trial that is without precedent in the history of football.

"We will come together, as we have done in previous years, and I am sure we will obtain even better results on the field."

From Sky Sports

I don't understand what is going on for Juventus? I heard somewhere they could be relegated to Serie B or C. So if anyone know about Juventus, please explain to me.

If they go down, there will be big bargain for everyone!

Offline The Albert Cock

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Is something going on for Juventus?
« Reply #1 on: May 5, 2006, 02:36:11 pm »
very interesting, will watch that one carefully.

Offline Kaizer

• Quaresmatic
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wonder is the beginning of wisdom.
« Reply #2 on: May 5, 2006, 02:36:34 pm »
The world will see it`s last days before Juventus gets relegated from Serie A.

This will never happen.

The story taken from www.channel4.com

The Italian Football Federation are investigating unproven allegations that Juventus’ general director Luciano Moggi requested certain referees for matches.

The FIGC have opened an inquiry into the claims which were published by two national newspapers on Thursday in regard to intercepted telephone conversations back in 2004.

A series of telephone accounts between Moggi and others in the Italian game have been made public, but it is his relationship with Pierluigi Pairetto, a referee designator at the time, which has made the most headlines.

The Gazzetta dello Sport and the Corriere della Sera both printed transcripts of a conversation between the two in which Moggi asks for certain referees for friendly matches against Messina and Milan.

It has also been alleged that Moggi asked Pairetto, who was also part of UEFA’s refereeing commission, for a specific official in the 2004 Champions League preliminary tie against Djurgardens.

The FIGC inquiry did actually begin in March, but was only announced on Thursday, after the Italian Football Federation was handed the transcripts two months ago from a public prosecutors office in Turin.

Moggi has been unable to respond to the accusations because of Juventus’ enforced media blackout.

“We are in Press silence and I have no intention of making a comment,” said Moggi. “Everything is okay.”

Pairetto did look to defend himself though. “It’s sad to read such things which can give a different version of the truth,” he stated.

“My good faith can not be brought into question as a result.

“I have been in contact with many club officials over these years,” he added. “I’ve always looked to defend the work of referees.”

The inquiry continues.

Meanwhile, some whispers in Italy on Friday morning are suggesting that this latest bad publicity could see Moggi leave the Italian giants in the summer.

Former Roma director general Franco Baldini, who worked with boss Fabio Capello in the past, is already a contender to replace him.

http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/may5c.html

« Last Edit: May 5, 2006, 02:39:48 pm by Kaizer »
There will always be more sheep than shepherds.

“One of my favourites is Ricardo Quaresma. The day I go back to coaching I will do everything possible to sign him. Quaresma could make any club have that extra step up in quality.” - M.Lippi, August 2007

Just fuckin sign him!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzSNuQHwZLE

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
    • Terry O'Shea @184tosh
« Reply #3 on: May 5, 2006, 02:51:33 pm »
Italian football scandals, what next?  ::)

Offline LFC on tour

• Lawn Mower.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: May 5, 2006, 03:29:31 pm »
Italian football scandals, what next?  ::)
Racism in spain?

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: May 5, 2006, 03:32:00 pm »
Racism in spain?

PL players with gambling problems?

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: May 5, 2006, 03:48:35 pm »

This will never happen.

so true...when Juve say jump, Italian Football Federation says "How high?"

Offline Bullan

• I can't believe I ate the whole thing...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Speed of The Sound Of Loneliness
« Reply #7 on: May 5, 2006, 03:59:55 pm »
not being funny here .. but who controls most of the media in italy?
and isn't his club locked in a battle with Juve to get the Scudetto?

I hate every ape I see.
From chimpan-a to chimpan-z,
No, you'll never make a monkey out of me.
Oh, my God, I was wrong,
It was Earth all along.
You finally made a monkey...

Offline blurred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: May 5, 2006, 04:00:28 pm »

and he's got a fair bit of time on his hands these days, hasn't he?

Offline IrishDave

• This custom title is invisible
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert clever comment here ............
« Reply #9 on: May 5, 2006, 04:01:39 pm »
Is he not still barricaded in his office insisting that "he didn't see the incident/election?"
Keep your friends close & your enemies won't matter

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: May 5, 2006, 04:02:59 pm »

It's not that clear cut these days - Murdochs media empire are taking huge chunks out of what was Berlesconi's monopoly....and Italian Sky Sports (Murdoch owned) have the rights to Juventus games

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #11 on: May 5, 2006, 04:04:12 pm »
Remember a few years ago when the relegated Fiorentina to Serie C for fiddling their accounts? Pretty radical thing to do but they've built themselves back up and are near the top of Serie A I believe, they also kept most of their top players so this

If they go down, there will be big bargain for everyone!

may not happen, depends how much the players want to build the club back up.

Offline TheRedBull

• 4x1=5
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: May 5, 2006, 05:26:20 pm »
Remember a few years ago when the relegated Fiorentina to Serie C for fiddling their accounts? Pretty radical thing to do but they've built themselves back up and are near the top of Serie A I believe, they also kept most of their top players so this

Fiorentina lost all  of their stars when they were relegated. They bought all brand new team after they were back to serie A.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: May 5, 2006, 05:36:30 pm »
I heard somewhere they could be relegated to Serie B or C. So if anyone know about Juventus, please explain to me.

They won't be relegated. Not Juventus. Not a chance. Had it been a different club, then maybe, but Juve? Never.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Kaizer

• Quaresmatic
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wonder is the beginning of wisdom.
« Reply #14 on: May 5, 2006, 06:38:47 pm »
Juventus has won 28 Serie A titles and are closing in on number 29,  they are the biggest club in Italy when it comes to trophy's and support.

From what I have heard there is no talk about relegation at all, why should there be, everyone with their minds intact know this will never happen, you just cant relegate a club like Juve, its a fact.
They will maybe get a fine if these rumours are true, nothing more.
There will always be more sheep than shepherds.

“One of my favourites is Ricardo Quaresma. The day I go back to coaching I will do everything possible to sign him. Quaresma could make any club have that extra step up in quality.” - M.Lippi, August 2007

Just fuckin sign him!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzSNuQHwZLE

Offline Armless Joe Gambino

• Will stone fred at the drop of a hat
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: May 5, 2006, 06:51:12 pm »
They won't be relegated. Not Juventus. Not a chance. Had it been a different club, then maybe, but Juve? Never.

Sounds similar to Marseille a few years back, never say never.

Who knows maybe it's time to check out Chelsea's finances  :-X
In my day everbody drank and smoked and nobody took drugs. . . . . .

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: May 5, 2006, 08:57:31 pm »
Sounds similar to Marseille a few years back, never say never.

Maybe not, but I think it goes beyond football. It's Juventus, not some kind of nail in the eye club like Napoli.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: May 5, 2006, 10:22:02 pm »
may not happen, depends how much the players want to build the club back up.

I think the only 'big-name' player Fiorentina kept on was a 36yr old Di Livio - Adriano was on loan at the time and Nuno Gomes went to Benfica.

I honestly doubt any of the big name players would stay if it happened, but I doubt that it would

Offline Dowling10

• Busted
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scousers rule the country.
« Reply #18 on: May 5, 2006, 11:24:04 pm »
Juventus has won 28 Serie A titles and are closing in on number 29,  they are the biggest club in Italy when it comes to trophy's and support.

From what I have heard there is no talk about relegation at all, why should there be, everyone with their minds intact know this will never happen, you just cant relegate a club like Juve, its a fact.
They will maybe get a fine if these rumours are true, nothing more.

Biggest support ? When i see Juve games there has been attendences as low as 10-12 000, isn't there local rivels, Livorno get bigger crowds that Juve.

Offline ryanf21

• Kopite
« Reply #19 on: May 5, 2006, 11:31:09 pm »
Biggest support ? When i see Juve games there has been attendences as low as 10-12 000, isn't there local rivels, Livorno get bigger crowds that Juve.
in one league game last season they got an attendance of 500......  biggest support, my arse!  ;D

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: May 5, 2006, 11:40:49 pm »

1 in 3 Italians support Juve. They get ridiculously low crowds though coz
1)the stadium is shite
2)Its a nightmare to get to (apparently)
3)Their fans aren't Turin based but spread out across the country - they make Man Utd look like a good honest local club.

Part time fans though if you ask me - even if we were in the same circumstances we'd never go as low as 500

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: May 5, 2006, 11:59:31 pm »

They have a mega TV deal though due to their support, like the previous poster said

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: May 6, 2006, 03:45:59 am »
It's apparently a case of the majority of Turin supporting Torino, with most of Juve's support coming from elsewhere in Italy. A bit like us, as Everton fans might have you believe. County Road la...
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: May 6, 2006, 03:52:25 am »
So what's the Italian equivalent of Wales?
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline rob76

• Kopite
  • foxx il- united!!
« Reply #24 on: May 6, 2006, 06:56:13 am »
nothing new here. In the beginning of this year, an incriminated Juve doctor, won his appeal and was released. His accusation was of administering illegal drugs to Juve players areound 1996. I find it hilarious how the only person brought to justice is the club doctor. Were none of the Juve players susceptible to sporting justice? The official excuse was that the players did not know what they were being given. Yeah right.
Juve have total control on the Serie A, and Berlusconi is powerless compared to the trion of Bettega, Giraudo and Moggi (Juve directors). Just watch any Italian version of match of the day and it is always littered with controversy and cheating speculations.
To conclude, Juve have won a massive 29 league titles In stark contrast, they managed only 2 champions leagues. The first through a non existing penalty in 85 and the secon in 1996 (have I mentioned anything about 1996??).

Anyone saying the Serie A is best league in the world should be hung, drawn and quartered. :wave

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #25 on: May 6, 2006, 07:49:44 am »

La Waleso???
 ;)
JFT 96

Offline MightyReds

• Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #26 on: May 6, 2006, 07:56:56 am »

This will never happen.

SPot on. It won't happen
"In my time at Anfield we always said we have the best two teams on Merseyside, Liverpool and Liverpool reserves" - Bill Shankly

Offline kneel

• Anny Roader
  • I need a haircut
« Reply #27 on: May 6, 2006, 09:56:52 am »
Juve will get out of this scot free if you ask me.

If anyone will be incriminated it will be Moggi. At first I was thinking that it would all be swept under the carpet, but it is looking grimmer by the hour.

Not only did he meddle with referees and their assignments, but the recordings also reveal dubious transfer dealings (i.e he told players to create conflicts with their clubs and subsequently ask to leave in order for prices to go down).

He is also heard dispensing jobs within the FIGC (Italian FA) to suit his associates. He is heard speaking to former referees who now work for tv stations and telling them which referees to criticise and which to praise.

He has been issued two 'avvisi di garanzia' ( I think it would be arrest warrants in english). One is for his dealings with his son's player agency GEA (which is also being investigated), the other is for his involvement in a betting scandal which came out last summer.

I could go on endlessly on this but there are too many intricacies to recount. One last bit of info. A newspaper editor on italian tv last night said he had sufficient reasons to believe that there are more recordings of Moggi telephone conversations that the Neapolitan 'Procura' (Judicial body) is investigating, which may be even more incriminating.

Watch this space.
Qed nistenna l-bajtra taqa' f'halqi.

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #28 on: May 6, 2006, 12:07:03 pm »

San Marino?

Offline rob76

• Kopite
  • foxx il- united!!
« Reply #29 on: May 6, 2006, 12:24:06 pm »
What can you say about Moggi? Look at him. Listen to him speak. He's got Godfather written all over him!! :D

Offline byrnetred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We are men of Shankly's best...
« Reply #30 on: May 6, 2006, 12:24:53 pm »
remember this also a UEFA matter aswell as it was one of their officials who was involved in this scam(he was subsequently fired the other day)...
...i miss my scouse accent...

Offline redinthemed

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #31 on: May 7, 2006, 11:00:35 pm »
If memory serves Milan were relegated due to match fixing a couple of years before Berlusconi bought the club...
I'm watching controcampo, a popular Serie A programme in ITaly and I've heard the phone conversations, its pretty incriminating stuff

Offline LpoolHope5*

• Kopite
  • been to all five big cup homecoming parades
« Reply #32 on: May 7, 2006, 11:59:10 pm »
if 1 in 3 italians support Juve what implicaitons does that have for liverpool?  is LFC and its fans held in low esteem? 

Does anyone have first hand experience of Juve /italy fans views on us  Did the 'friendship' efforts make a difference/further improvement?
Nicky Campbell: "How do you feel about all of the criticisms that are levelled at the city and at scousers?"

Phil Redmond: "You have to expect that sort of thing when you live at the centre of the universe"

Offline Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #33 on: May 8, 2006, 01:42:43 am »
Vatican City. One bloke who can't get laid and his sad but devoted followers.
If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: May 8, 2006, 04:04:49 am »
Vatican City. One bloke who can't get laid and his sad but devoted followers.

;D
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: May 8, 2006, 09:28:20 am »
if 1 in 3 italians support Juve what implicaitons does that have for liverpool?  is LFC and its fans held in low esteem? 

Does anyone have first hand experience of Juve /italy fans views on us  Did the 'friendship' efforts make a difference/further improvement?

I've got a friend who's a big Juve fan - obviously he doesnt represent their entire fan base but he was supporting Liverpool against AC Milan last May. Probably just means they see us as the lesser of 2 evils.

It seems to me that by and large they don't hold a massive resentment against us. I still wouldn't feel that safe wearing a Liverpool shirt around the Della Alpi on a match day though, just because of the minority of fans every club have that look for trouble.

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: May 9, 2006, 09:36:08 am »
Seems they do have flag making fans with a sense of humour...
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2006, 12:00:12 pm »
From today's Independent
THE CAST

Luciano Moggi Director General of Juventus

Pierluigi Pairetto Head of Italian Referees' Association and member of Uefa Referees' Commission

THE TIME

September, 2004

THE CONVERSATIONS

Pierluigi Pairetto: I know that you've forgotten about me but I haven't forgotten about you.

Luciano Moggi: Go on...

PP: I've put a great referee for the game in Amsterdam.

LM: Who?

PP: Meier.

LM: Great!

PP: Anyway, it was just to tell you this. You see, I remember about you even if you...

(Ajax played Juventus on 15 September, the referee was Urs Meier, from Switz-erland. Juventus won 1-0)

(Juventus drew 2-2 at home to Swedish club Djurgarden in a Champions' League qualifier in August 2004. German Referee Herbert Fandel disallowed a goal by Juve's Miccoli.)

LM: But what the f... kind of referee did you send us?

PP: Fandel is one of the best...

LM: Miccoli's goal was valid.

PP: No it wasn't.

LM: It was valid, it was valid.

PP: He was in front...

LM: What are you talking about in front? And anyway, all through the game he messed things up for us.

PP: But he's one of the top...

LM: He can go and f... himself. And for Stockholm [the return leg] I'm counting on you.

(Juve won the return leg 4-1, with England's Graham Poll refereeing. Two days before the game, Moggi called the secretary of the Italian football league.)

LM: The ref is Cardozo, right?

Sec: I've got Graham Poll written here.

LM: Uhm. Where's he from?

Sec: He's English.

(A few minutes later, Moggi calls Pairetto.)

LM: So it's Cardozo, eh?

PP: Eh?

LM: It's Paul Green [Moggi means Graham Poll]

PP: What?

LM: Paul Green

PP: Well something has happened at the last minute, he was sick or something.

LM: Find out.

PP: Yes, yes. I'll look into it right away.

(Before a series of pre-season friendly games.)

LM: For Messina, send me Consolo and Battaglia.

PP: I've already done the refs.

LM: And who are you sending us?

PP: Consolo and Battaglia, I think.

LM: And for the Berlusconi trophy, I want Pieri, all right?

PP: I haven't done that yet.

LM: OK, we'll do that later.

(A conversation takes place between Pairetto and Paolo Dondarini, the referee he had selected to officiate a Serie A match between Juventus and Sampdoria.)

PP: You know what you have to do. Make sure you see everything. Even that which isn't there.

(Back in 2004, Juventus had been tracking Ajax's Swedish striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic as a possible transfer target. Moggi rang Antonio Giraudo, chief executive at Juventus, to tell him that Ibrahimovic had scored a hat-trick for Ajax.)

LM: What the hell! But I specifically told him to play badly.

Antonio Giraudo: I told him! We had agreed that he would play badly, go see the manager after the game, tell him that he would never play for them again and demand that he be sold to us.

http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/european/article363042.ece

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2006, 05:47:32 am »
Interesting.

Nice to see Graham Poll considered an idiot abroad.

Offline hoobastanker

• Kopite
  • Ye dirty halien Ye
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2006, 06:03:14 pm »
Juve in crisis as board resigns

The Juventus board has resigned over a refereeing scandal that has engulfed the Serie A league leaders.

The resignations followed allegations of collusion in the appointment of referees for Juventus games.

The club plan to hold a shareholders meeting on 29 June to replace the outgoing board.

The resignations included general director Luciano Moggi, who is under investigation for allegedly trying to influence the choice of referees.

Managing director Antonio Giraudo, another of the resignations, is also being investigated for false bookkeeping.

The resignations came three days before the final day of the season, with Juventus needing just one point to clinch their second straight league title and 29th overall.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/4763239.stm
Xabi for Ireland