Author Topic: What mobile phone?  (Read 877897 times)

Offline butchersdog

• Scouse Tiger.....grrrr :)
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: What mobile phone?
« Reply #8040 on: November 11, 2020, 03:19:00 pm »
Anyone know of any good deals to be had on the Moto Razr 5G? Seems a very limited release. I like the idea of something very compact and a flip would be a real nostalgia trip. I remember a few cashback via redemption sites for new mobiles back in the day, but can't seem to find them anymore. Anyone got any good recommendations in this regard?

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8041 on: November 11, 2020, 05:56:28 pm »
Anyone know of any good deals to be had on the Moto Razr 5G? Seems a very limited release. I like the idea of something very compact and a flip would be a real nostalgia trip. I remember a few cashback via redemption sites for new mobiles back in the day, but can't seem to find them anymore. Anyone got any good recommendations in this regard?

Best deals I can find are on Tesco Mobile,you would get £150 worth of points (+ the monthly) & you can double those points if you use them to pay for your contract so depending on the length you'd get a few months free.

https://www.tescomobile.com/shop/motorola/moto-razr-5g/tariff?sku=749112&color=mercury%20silver&upfrontCost=180&contractlength=18&minutes=5000&texts=5000&data=972800&contractLength=18

I've been with them for years now & never had any problems.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #8042 on: November 12, 2020, 03:30:07 pm »
12 Pro Max is being delivered tomorrow, and it's even bigger than my XS Max which barely fits in my handbag ;D

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #8043 on: November 12, 2020, 05:49:14 pm »
12 Pro Max is being delivered tomorrow, and it's even bigger than my XS Max which barely fits in my handbag ;D

First world problems lol

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8044 on: November 12, 2020, 06:41:04 pm »
Switched from iPhone 7 to new SE. Lovely phone that should be fast enough for next few years. I do hope Apple keep making SE models and they don’t get bigger, as I positively loathe standardisimg the phablet dimensions as ‘normal phone’.

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #8045 on: November 12, 2020, 07:05:33 pm »
Thanks for the recommendations guys, had forgotten I'd asked the question!
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #8046 on: November 13, 2020, 11:17:02 am »
Can anyone recommend (preferably on Amazon) a wireless charging unit for a Huawei P30 Pro...?

I am looking but I don't really have a clue!

Offline kopite77

• Legacy Fan
  • In Jurgen we trust!
« Reply #8047 on: November 23, 2020, 06:58:14 am »
Can anyone recommend (preferably on Amazon) a wireless charging unit for a Huawei P30 Pro...?

I am looking but I don't really have a clue!

This is the one I bought] from Amazon, it's the official one for the P30 Pro. :)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07JD35YS6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc
HARRY HARRIS, MARK LAWRENSON, JOSE MOURIHNO,PETER KENYON, ROMAN ABRAMOVICH, ALAN HANSEN, YOU GUY'S TOOK ONE HELL OF A BEATING

AND Mr KENWRIGHT YOU CAN STICK YOUR FUCKING GROUNDSHARE UP YOUR ARSE!

Hicks and Gillett, Game Over, thanks for Fuck All Fuckfaces, Internet Terrorist and Proud!

Online Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8048 on: December 3, 2020, 07:09:22 pm »
Did you end up getting one ? I've been offered a reasonable deal on EE for the Razr, thinking about selling my iPhone 12 and picking one up, just a bit worried it might be a bit gimmicky, also doubtful about the longevity of the 'hinge'.

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8049 on: December 18, 2020, 01:54:36 am »
Has anyone got any experience with the Moto G Stylus?
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #8050 on: December 19, 2020, 09:18:50 am »
I'm switching to Apple after 10 years of Samsung Galaxy phones. Just ordered the iPhone 12
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8051 on: December 20, 2020, 01:59:14 am »
My battery & charging port finally gave up the ghost last night, so I picked up a Pixel 4a today.

Happy with it so far, although I might have lost all my photos in the backup / transfer netherworld. Bugger.
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline pazcom

• Kopite
« Reply #8052 on: December 24, 2020, 04:14:10 pm »
My Nokia 8 is starting to not charge properly, even when using the charger and lead that came with it. When it gets below 40% it seems to not want to charge, and will only charge via an old Samsung cable...weird.
Will have some cash for Christmas, so been thinking about getting a new SIM free phone, not going to spend stupid amounts... probably around £300...what are views on this....https://www.johnlewis.com/oppo-find-x2-lite-smartphone-android-8gb-ram-6-4-inch-5g-sim-free-128gb/black/p5111221
Keira 29/04/1999
 --- Violet 09/09/2020
 --- Myles 13/10/2021
Sophie 26/04/2006

My little Reds

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8053 on: December 26, 2020, 11:05:56 am »
Just upgraded to a pixel 5 from a galaxy s9.

Paul's used pixel phones for over 4yrs now and convinced me to get one too.

Delivery on Tuesday [emoji16]

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8054 on: December 26, 2020, 11:09:37 am »
Switched from iPhone 7 to new SE. Lovely phone that should be fast enough for next few years. I do hope Apple keep making SE models and they don’t get bigger, as I positively loathe standardisimg the phablet dimensions as ‘normal phone’.
Be interested to hear how you get on with it.

Offline dikwad

• Kopite
« Reply #8055 on: December 26, 2020, 01:24:25 pm »
Bought a Oneplus Nord to finally replace my 3t. Installed the Action launcher and now I've got the hang of screen navigation gestures I'm very happy with it. Nice phone for the money but, if you use dual sims, 5g wont work until the next update.

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Worry I'm From The Internet
« Reply #8056 on: December 27, 2020, 04:04:17 pm »
Sim question here...   8)

got an old mate who is deaf so uses texts ... it's just an emergency phone he has, cheap basic nokia sim free.
i got him a Sim ages ago, cant remember which ?
he just topped up (say a £10) and no monthly top up, just till it was used up.. had to use it at least once a year or summat..
any pointers to a cheap sim, low useage, no monthly top up (is that pay as you go)
1p mobile, giff gaff, lycamobile...

Thanks for any pointers...  :wave
Shanks on Leaving Liverpool FC

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Online Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8057 on: December 29, 2020, 02:43:20 pm »
Just upgraded to a pixel 5 from a galaxy s9.

Paul's used pixel phones for over 4yrs now and convinced me to get one too.

Delivery on Tuesday [emoji16]
I have an iPhone 12 and a pixel 4a, the former for work as I have a few clients that are too invested in iMessage and the like.  The Pixel is a lovely little device.  Quick, perfectly formed, just a joy to use.  Thinking about changing to esim so I can have two lines with the pixel while getting some decent money for the iPhone.  If i go that way I’ll be getting the 5 myself, I do miss wireless charging on the android side.

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8058 on: December 29, 2020, 04:03:43 pm »
What's the deal with dual sim? Do you boot into whatever one you need? like one sim Work, one sim everything else?

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #8059 on: December 29, 2020, 07:08:52 pm »
What's the deal with dual sim? Do you boot into whatever one you need? like one sim Work, one sim everything else?

You dont need to boot to each. They run in tandem for phone calls and texts (it gives you a choice which to use when you call or text).

The only one you need to pick is what you use for your data (this can be done in your settings).

For example  - I have my EE SIM for my calls and texts but I use my Virgin Media sim for my data (it was an unlimited plan that came with my TV/Broadband package)

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8060 on: December 29, 2020, 07:36:46 pm »
You dont need to boot to each. They run in tandem for phone calls and texts (it gives you a choice which to use when you call or text).

The only one you need to pick is what you use for your data (this can be done in your settings).

For example  - I have my EE SIM for my calls and texts but I use my Virgin Media sim for my data (it was an unlimited plan that came with my TV/Broadband package)

Cheers :) so second sim for having an affair. Got ya!

Offline dikwad

• Kopite
« Reply #8061 on: December 30, 2020, 06:47:56 pm »
Cheers :) so second sim for having an affair. Got ya!

Or for work of course. Set different ring tones per sim so you know which to ignore

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8062 on: January 2, 2021, 09:48:22 am »
I'm switching to Apple after 10 years of Samsung Galaxy phones. Just ordered the iPhone 12

That didn't last long. I'm back on Android with the Pixel 4a

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8063 on: January 2, 2021, 09:56:27 am »
That didn't last long. I'm back on Android with the Pixel 4a

What happened? lol

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8064 on: January 2, 2021, 01:28:11 pm »
What happened? lol

Honestly, IOS 14 was actually pretty customizable. I could use chrome and google maps and stuff as my default. The widgets were also sort of okay and usable.

It was just little things like the lack of a always on display (why would you choose not to add this to your phones in 2020!) and the notifications were just a mess. It's just so much better on android-- if I've a missed text or whatsapp message or whatever it just shows it in the notification bar right there, while you actually have to go looking for it on IOS. And I just never got used to that stupid notch  ;D

I guess I'm just an android person at heart lol. But at least I gave it a shot. I paid the equivalent of 800 pounds for the iPhone 12 64 GB, but I got the Pixel 4a + 450 pounds back. It's a budget phone for sure but I'm just gonna use it till the end of the year, save up and buy the Galaxy Z Fold 3 when it launches, assuming they've cleared up all the software bugs by then and made a more durable screen

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8065 on: January 2, 2021, 02:49:50 pm »
Honestly, IOS 14 was actually pretty customizable. I could use chrome and google maps and stuff as my default. The widgets were also sort of okay and usable.

It was just little things like the lack of a always on display (why would you choose not to add this to your phones in 2020!) and the notifications were just a mess. It's just so much better on android-- if I've a missed text or whatsapp message or whatever it just shows it in the notification bar right there, while you actually have to go looking for it on IOS. And I just never got used to that stupid notch  ;D

I guess I'm just an android person at heart lol. But at least I gave it a shot. I paid the equivalent of 800 pounds for the iPhone 12 64 GB, but I got the Pixel 4a + 450 pounds back. It's a budget phone for sure but I'm just gonna use it till the end of the year, save up and buy the Galaxy Z Fold 3 when it launches, assuming they've cleared up all the software bugs by then and made a more durable screen

Pretty much my experience  as well, kept hearing once you get used to this and that you won't go back. Nope! this and that turned out to be massively annoying. Also itunes :/

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8066 on: January 2, 2021, 04:57:43 pm »
My daughter got a iphone 12 mini, the charging cable had lightning connector one end and usb-c on the other, why not just put a usb connector?

Also, she can't receive text messages but can send them. She's not bothered as "nobody uses texts anymore" but is there a way to fix this.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8067 on: January 2, 2021, 05:00:42 pm »
My daughter got a iphone 12 mini, the charging cable had lightning connector one end and usb-c on the other, why not just put a usb connector?

Welcome to the wonderful world of Apple, take every chance to **** you over as a customer

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8068 on: January 22, 2021, 05:34:41 pm »
My daughter is diabetic and has to carry around an android phone with her at all times which has an app on it which she needs. Can anyone recommend the smallest phone that will run android os 5 and above?

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8069 on: January 22, 2021, 07:00:30 pm »
After the initial trauma of transferring everything from my old phone and getting it all set up, I'm enjoying my new pixel 4a.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Online Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8070 on: January 23, 2021, 04:50:36 pm »
My daughter is diabetic and has to carry around an android phone with her at all times which has an app on it which she needs. Can anyone recommend the smallest phone that will run android os 5 and above?
The Pixel 4a is quite small, about a centimetre taller than the iPhone 6 size Id guess.

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8071 on: January 24, 2021, 09:34:33 am »
The Pixel 4a is quite small, about a centimetre taller than the iPhone 6 size Id guess.
Thanks, I’ll have a look.

Was just wondering if there was any ‘mini’ smart phones as this will literally be used for one app which just needs WiFi and bluetooth

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8072 on: January 24, 2021, 09:40:55 am »
You could try the Palm phone? If that's all It's gonna be used for

Offline Hendollama

• Baldanovski stan. Injustice can be committed only by persons who cannot be touched, only by persons who have power and authority.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8073 on: January 26, 2021, 06:11:01 am »
What's the best phone I could buy on Android right now? I don't want to buy another for the next 3-5 years.
I have been looking to order the S21 Ultra, the 16GB Ram Variant. Are there any better alternatives? Does anyone have the S21 Ultra and would you recommend it?
Happy is the man who avoids hardship, but how fine is the man who is afflicted and shows endurance.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8074 on: January 27, 2021, 01:09:06 am »
What's the best phone I could buy on Android right now? I don't want to buy another for the next 3-5 years.
I have been looking to order the S21 Ultra, the 16GB Ram Variant. Are there any better alternatives? Does anyone have the S21 Ultra and would you recommend it?

I don't think Samsung does software and security updates for 5 years though. 3 is the max.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8075 on: January 27, 2021, 04:32:10 am »

I just bought a 256GB, 12GB Ram variant and it's a brilliant phone so far. The camera in particular is exceptional. In terms of specs, you would be hard-pressed to beat that. iPhones preserve their value longer than Android models but if you had to go with an Android model that would be able to last at least 3 years, the Samsung Galaxy range is likely your best bet. Based on my research the additional RAM comes in handy if you are using it for games. Otherwise, my phone seems to normally run between 6 and 7 GB max.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline pazcom

• Kopite
« Reply #8076 on: January 27, 2021, 04:24:22 pm »
i've just got the oppo find x2 lite and for me and what I use it for its a great phone so far, expect for a couple of things:

certain notifications are duplicated - I get two tones for the one notification
Alarm - was half awake but could have sworn when the alarm went off this morning there were also two notifications

any tips advice?
Keira 29/04/1999
 --- Violet 09/09/2020
 --- Myles 13/10/2021
Sophie 26/04/2006

My little Reds

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #8077 on: January 28, 2021, 01:50:49 am »
I've finally started looking for a replacement for my Nokia 8, which I've had since 2017 and has just started showing signs of chugging.

Problem is there seems to be a lot of over-priced plastic-bodied shite knocking around at the moment.

I bought the Pixel 4a on Black Friday (I prefer a smaller handset) and sent it straight back after being distinctly unimpressed.  The OnePlus Nord is plastic-framed, the iPhone 12 Mini has a ludicrous notch (and no fingerprint scanner), the Oppo Reno4 5G is plastic and Samsung's firmware has always been crap in my experience, so not keen on something from their stable.

Is there anything else out there that wouldn't require me to have some weird Chinese UI at my fingertips?

Budget is flexible but ideally no more than £600 or so.  The Nokia 8 was only £340 when I got it and has served me very well.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline Hendollama

• Baldanovski stan. Injustice can be committed only by persons who cannot be touched, only by persons who have power and authority.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8078 on: January 28, 2021, 05:29:28 am »
I don't think Samsung does software and security updates for 5 years though. 3 is the max.
Oh, that's a shame. So the device would probably slow down after 3 years, I guess?
As long as the battery is good, I honestly wouldn't mind that. With 16GB ram, even if it slows down, it should be very fast. Or is there something I am missing?
Happy is the man who avoids hardship, but how fine is the man who is afflicted and shows endurance.

Offline Hendollama

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8079 on: January 28, 2021, 05:37:22 am »
I just bought a 256GB, 12GB Ram variant and it's a brilliant phone so far. The camera in particular is exceptional. In terms of specs, you would be hard-pressed to beat that. iPhones preserve their value longer than Android models but if you had to go with an Android model that would be able to last at least 3 years, the Samsung Galaxy range is likely your best bet. Based on my research the additional RAM comes in handy if you are using it for games. Otherwise, my phone seems to normally run between 6 and 7 GB max.
Thanks Jooney. :wave

I am almost sold on this. If that software and security update issue is not a big deal, I will go for it.
The only thing that bothers me after looking at the device page on the website, there does not seem to be a charger block along with it. Greedy bastards. :no