Author Topic: Doping In Sport..  (Read 130482 times)

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
Re: Doping In Sport..
« Reply #920 on: December 21, 2016, 08:08:56 pm »
Walsh is bumbling/blabbering on re  Froome, all his credibility is surely gone. 
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #921 on: December 21, 2016, 08:12:52 pm »
After all that he's now exposed to....There is a lot about team sky that's admirable says Walsh outside of the tue's!!

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline arthur sarnoff

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #922 on: December 21, 2016, 08:13:45 pm »
Congratulations, David Walsh, on undoing all the good work you once did.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #923 on: December 21, 2016, 08:16:50 pm »
That was brilliant, once again from Ger and Joe.

Walsh was never a good writer, but he did some good work....he's a parody now.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #924 on: December 21, 2016, 08:29:04 pm »
What was that show? Missed it.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #925 on: December 21, 2016, 08:33:53 pm »
What was that show? Missed it.
Podcast should be up soon. It was very good.

http://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/Off_The_Ball/

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #926 on: December 21, 2016, 08:36:22 pm »
Podcast should be up soon. It was very good.

http://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/Off_The_Ball/

Thanks! Bit busy over the next days, but will try to find it. Though I bet you posted the best bits above. :)
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #927 on: December 21, 2016, 08:40:14 pm »
Thanks! Bit busy over the next days, but will try to find it. Though I bet you posted the best bits above. :)
it's worth a listen, just to hear Walsh backtracking and justifying his support for the team and Froome in particular.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #930 on: December 21, 2016, 09:24:34 pm »
Walsh looking very silly here...believes Brailsford, Sutton, Wiggins or Sky have done wrong in general.  But he's certain Froome is clean.
Yeah.....okay.....

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/52xv2Hg2fkI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/52xv2Hg2fkI</a>

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #931 on: December 21, 2016, 09:38:55 pm »
Yeah.....okay.....

Kind of reminded me of "It's a long sprint from Farah. Can he maintain it? He has the might of Africa behind him."

Interesting you think it still goes a lot further than the TUE stuff.

Walsh there is all over the place with whether further questions, or even caveats, were warranted for his Team Sky journalism.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #932 on: December 21, 2016, 10:29:19 pm »
Kind of reminded me of "It's a long sprint from Farah. Can he maintain it? He has the might of Africa behind him."

Interesting you think it still goes a lot further than the TUE stuff.

Walsh there is all over the place with whether further questions, or even caveats, were warranted for his Team Sky journalism.
I look to other riders and teams that I and others know are on full programmes and we see that none of the leaders from these teams are able to contend with Froome on day's and stages when it really matters. He has the weight and ability of a climber and is still able to beat pure crono riders in a crono...that's not normal nor is it doable without being on a full programme.

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #933 on: December 21, 2016, 10:44:19 pm »
Just listening to the explanation for Wiggins getting a delivery of decongestant raises more questions than it answers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/38364668

The whole 'can't ask us awkward questions because we win medals' thing is rather unpleasant too.
There is no question that the rules are murky, and if you have some medical condition, certain drugs are suddenly allow for you. This is in fact one of the biggest issues that are discussed in Russia, that the Western nations do drug their sportsmen under all sorts of excuses. Is there a grain of truth in that? Certainly. Again, Western countries allow former drug users back into sports, but when Russia does it, they keep getting criticized for it. So is it allowed for a sportsman to come back after 2-3 year ban? If so, it shouldn't be a stick to beat Russia.

With all of this said, Russia clearly has no desire to find or punish doping users. They just keep denying everything, pointing to international politics and offer no alternatives. They also actively promote past doping users, if not in sports, they promote them to some government positions.

It's all very dirty and certainly they need to be punished. But west should also do a self-critical analysis. Are they really fighting with THEIR doping users?

PS Slightly unrelated but this discussion reminded me of what is going on in Russian sports.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 10:49:40 pm by Xxavi »

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #934 on: December 22, 2016, 12:03:34 am »
Great interview, sorry to admit I've never come across them lads before but they held Walsh to account and made some logical points about Froome. Paradoxically I thought Walsh came over as basically a decent fella who let his guard down, took a payday because he believed in Brailsford who made all the right noises. After US Postal and constantly being the outsider, you can see the attraction for him but thought the lads explored the contridictions with respect but determindly.

The whole drugs thing in the UK has always been tied up with a subplot that it's those pesky foreigners, no one bats an eyelid at the Russians but not 'our boys', Wiggins being juiced up before his TdF Victory is being managed as within the rules and within this context, even though late to the party, Walsh's voice is important in making sure it's seen for what it is, morally corrupt, to take massive doses of the same steriods Armstrong took.

Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #935 on: December 23, 2016, 12:39:15 pm »
Great interview, sorry to admit I've never come across them lads before but they held Walsh to account and made some logical points about Froome. Paradoxically I thought Walsh came over as basically a decent fella who let his guard down, took a payday because he believed in Brailsford who made all the right noises. After US Postal and constantly being the outsider, you can see the attraction for him but thought the lads explored the contridictions with respect but determindly.

The whole drugs thing in the UK has always been tied up with a subplot that it's those pesky foreigners, no one bats an eyelid at the Russians but not 'our boys', Wiggins being juiced up before his TdF Victory is being managed as within the rules and within this context, even though late to the party, Walsh's voice is important in making sure it's seen for what it is, morally corrupt, to take massive doses of the same steriods Armstrong took.
The nationalism question is one I asked back in 12 during the Tour...it still applies now. People love "waving the flag."

As to Walsh....he was the number one defender of everything Sky did...and just because he now is taking the position we've had since 11 is no reason reason to laud him now(not you personally, people in the media and social media).

Kimmage had that embedded gig before Walsh..the reason Kimmage was removed..."he made people feel uncomfortable with his questioning and this led to his removal...Walsh knew all this from Kimmage before Walsh made the decision to go into the team and still went ahead and wrote the book that further enabled the myths behind Sky and B-C.

His defence of the appointment of Leinders on the show was risible. I and other, as you know pointed out in 12 that Leinders was a doctor who ran doping programmes...apparently Brailsford didn't....even though De Jongh was a ds at Sky and had worked with Leinders at Rabobank. Walsh still contends that Leinders was a clean doctor at Sky, we heard that the other night....I posted an interview of Leinders from 11 when he was already the team doctor on Sky were he said...

The new cycling? "Nonsense, innovation has always been there. Think of it as shedding your skin. The snake gets a new skin, but underneath it remains the same snake. He takes his past and his problems along with him into the present. Now people think its all gone in one go. But that's not the case. I was recently asked to participate in a TV program titled: "How clean will the 2011 Tour be?" Now I'm really not going to participate in that."

As I've just posted in the pro thread...Walsh wasn't just part of the media who published the "smoke and mirrors" shtick from Sky, he became part of the "smoke and mirrors." Will he now admit he was wrong and apologise to those he blocked and ridiculed as "trolls"...I doubt it

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #936 on: December 23, 2016, 01:39:05 pm »
The nationalism question is one I asked back in 12 during the Tour...it still applies now. People love "waving the flag."

As to Walsh....he was the number one defender of everything Sky did...and just because he now is taking the position we've had since 11 is no reason reason to laud him now(not you personally, people in the media and social media).

Kimmage had that embedded gig before Walsh..the reason Kimmage was removed..."he made people feel uncomfortable with his questioning and this led to his removal...Walsh knew all this from Kimmage before Walsh made the decision to go into the team and still went ahead and wrote the book that further enabled the myths behind Sky and B-C.

His defence of the appointment of Leinders on the show was risible. I and other, as you know pointed out in 12 that Leinders was a doctor who ran doping programmes...apparently Brailsford didn't....even though De Jongh was a ds at Sky and had worked with Leinders at Rabobank. Walsh still contends that Leinders was a clean doctor at Sky, we heard that the other night....I posted an interview of Leinders from 11 when he was already the team doctor on Sky were he said...

The new cycling? "Nonsense, innovation has always been there. Think of it as shedding your skin. The snake gets a new skin, but underneath it remains the same snake. He takes his past and his problems along with him into the present. Now people think its all gone in one go. But that's not the case. I was recently asked to participate in a TV program titled: "How clean will the 2011 Tour be?" Now I'm really not going to participate in that."

As I've just posted in the pro thread...Walsh wasn't just part of the media who published the "smoke and mirrors" shtick from Sky, he became part of the "smoke and mirrors." Will he now admit he was wrong and apologise to those he blocked and ridiculed as "trolls"...I doubt it

Don't disagree about Walsh. It's of his own making and his reputation was used by Sky, with his blessing, to ward off those that asked akward questions, agree some of his defence is laughable. I remember you arguing about Leinders and his Rabobank past years ago, and me using it with my mates when arguing about Sky

What I'm saying is, despite being flawed in all this and an apologist for Sky, Walsh's attack on Braislford is significant and holds a lot of weight outside of those who have had their suspisions all along. You convinced me ages ago about Sky but I've been seen as someone with 'a bee in my bonnett' about Sky with the lads I ride with. A few of them have said things along the lines of, 'I know you hate them because of Hillsborough and being into the match and that but aren't you letting that colour your view of Wiggins and Froome, do you really think they're juicing...'     Walsh coming out with Brailsford should resign, however belatedly has made the likes of my mates sit up and take notice and proves he's flawed but not corrupt and I can live with that.   
 Btw, Kimmage is totally vindicated and his book on Cascarino is a great football biog worth reading                                                                                                           
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #937 on: December 23, 2016, 02:22:28 pm »

:wellin

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #938 on: December 23, 2016, 03:42:44 pm »
Don't disagree about Walsh. It's of his own making and his reputation was used by Sky, with his blessing, to ward off those that asked akward questions, agree some of his defence is laughable. I remember you arguing about Leinders and his Rabobank past years ago, and me using it with my mates when arguing about Sky

What I'm saying is, despite being flawed in all this and an apologist for Sky, Walsh's attack on Braislford is significant and holds a lot of weight outside of those who have had their suspisions all along. You convinced me ages ago about Sky but I've been seen as someone with 'a bee in my bonnett' about Sky with the lads I ride with. A few of them have said things along the lines of, 'I know you hate them because of Hillsborough and being into the match and that but aren't you letting that colour your view of Wiggins and Froome, do you really think they're juicing...'     Walsh coming out with Brailsford should resign, however belatedly has made the likes of my mates sit up and take notice and proves he's flawed but not corrupt and I can live with that.   
 Btw, Kimmage is totally vindicated and his book on Cascarino is a great football biog worth reading                                                                                                         
The easy answer to the Murdoch question is..Wiggins transformation comes on a different team, and Froome's comes away from the team He was as we know being let go at the end of 11. The doping in sport has nothing to do with Murdoch's role in society...everything else that we hold against him is outside the world of cycling.

A lad we both know in my lbs has worked in the pro peloton and was adamant Wiggins was clean....I was in there just after the TUE exposure and just said..Wiggins eh." He just laughed and said, "Mea Culpa."

I look back at Wiggins's career and it mental how he came from nowhere at his age...I wont go into it again, we all know the arguments now...but every rider, other than ninth and tenth are either convicted or very, very suspicous when it comes to doping...Wiggins clean....in fourth spot on THAT list...

Froome......he's either doping or a fuckin alien..that simple, anyone who can't wont see what he is is willfully oblivious in my opinion...or a massive wum...

..where is Max anyway....perma or an enforced hiatus. ;D

1    Alberto Contador
2    Andy Schleck
DSQ    Lance Armstrong
3    Bradley Wiggins
4    Fränk Schleck
5    Andreas Klöden
6    Vincenzo Nibali
7    Christian Vande Velde
8    Roman Kreuziger
9    Christophe Le Mével
10    Sandy Casar

Offline Omygoditsomar

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #939 on: December 26, 2016, 06:40:47 am »
They can see I'm not clean next to the weightlifting machine. I'm not tested or ever seen. Ride with my feet up it's all over wearing a cashmere pullover there's a full cup of piss near my sofa send a tester into a coma

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #940 on: January 20, 2017, 05:58:26 pm »
Russia's Deputy Prime Minister has claimed female doping results can be distorted if athletes have sex. http://bbc.in/2k91ciX

Female doping results can be distorted if athletes have had sex in the days leading up to a test, says Russia's Deputy Prime Minister Vitaly Mutko.

Mutko has been outspoken since the McLaren report alleged there had been a state-backed Russian doping programme.

Part of the report outlines samples taken from two women's ice hockey players that contained male DNA.

"If you have sex five days before taking a doping test, they can find male DNA in you," said Mutko.

"If a female athlete undergoes a drug test within five days after the act, then the test will show that she has male hormones - and yet it evokes suspicions of her using different drugs."

Former World Anti-Doping Agency vice-president Arne Ljungqvist said DNA is "very personal" and "cannot be shared via sex".

n saying Russian athletes were unfairly treated, Mutko drew comparison with the cases of Canadian pole vault world champion Shawn Barber and French tennis player Richard Gasquet, who avoided punishment after blaming positive drugs tests for cocaine on kissing women who had ingested the banned substance.

"One [athlete] can kiss a girl who has taken a drug. A foreign [athlete] is reinstated based on this while a Russian is punished," Mutko told Russian publication Sport-Express.

The McLaren report states more than 1,000 Russians - including Olympic medallists - benefited from a state-sponsored doping programme between 2011 and 2015.

It found two female Russian ice hockey players at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi had male urine samples.

Russia has repeatedly denied the claims but 19 national anti-doping organisations last week said the country should be banned from both competing in and hosting international sporting events.

The country gave up a World Cup biathlon meeting set to be held in March, was stripped of a speed skating meet for the same month and lost the right to host the 2017 bobsleigh and skeleton World Championships.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #941 on: January 25, 2017, 02:40:43 pm »
Jamaica striped of 4x100m relay golds

Nesta Carter tested positive for banned substance so all team members including Usain Bolt lose gold medals.

Offline DivisiveNewSigning

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #942 on: January 25, 2017, 02:54:19 pm »
Jamaica striped of 4x100m relay golds

Nesta Carter tested positive for banned substance so all team members including Usain Bolt lose gold medals.

Just read this. Lost his "triple triple" status, but I doubt it will diminish his legacy a jot.

What was the boy thinking?? You have Bolt in your relay team, do you really need to dope....

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #943 on: January 25, 2017, 03:30:37 pm »
Everyone who has ever run under 9.79s for 100m has now failed a test. Apart from Bolt, who has run 9.58s.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #944 on: January 25, 2017, 03:33:28 pm »
Everyone who has ever run under 9.79s for 100m has now failed a test. Apart from Bolt, who has run 9.58s.

Would be the death of the sport if it ever emerged that Bolt has doped. Athletics needs him to be clean.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #945 on: January 25, 2017, 03:39:40 pm »
Would be the death of the sport if it ever emerged that Bolt has doped. Athletics needs him to be clean.

Yeah. Needs it almost too much perhaps.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #946 on: January 25, 2017, 04:58:36 pm »
The "appearance" of cleanliness is all that matters.

As to him being caught out doping being the death of athletics..not a chance. The sport would shrug it off and move on...that said, there's a vested interest from the people who're making the real money from the sport in keeping up his clean image....he's one of those untouchables.

Then again I would have said the same about Sharapova prior to her extended break. ;D

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #947 on: January 25, 2017, 06:01:26 pm »
The "appearance" of cleanliness is all that matters.

As to him being caught out doping being the death of athletics..not a chance. The sport would shrug it off and move on...that said, there's a vested interest from the people who're making the real money from the sport in keeping up his clean image....he's one of those untouchables.

Then again I would have said the same about Sharapova prior to her extended break. ;D

Cant disagree

Offline Ziltoid

• Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #948 on: January 25, 2017, 06:25:06 pm »
"Still he'll retire with his legacy intact"

Loving the certainty.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #949 on: January 27, 2017, 05:53:41 pm »
The Hungarian designer of a secret bike motor tells Bill Whitaker he thinks the motors have been used to cheat in pro cycling as far back as 1998.  Istvan Varjas speaks to Whitaker for a 60 Minutes investigation into mechanical cheating in a sport already infamous for its doping scandals.  One of the sport’s champions, three-time Tour de France winner Greg LeMond, is convinced the motors are being used.  He’s also in the 60 Minutes report, to be broadcast Sunday, Jan. 29 at 7 p.m. ET/PT.

Varjas, a scientist and former cyclist, says he first designed a motor to fit inside a bike’s frame in 1998. He says a friend found an anonymous buyer who offered him nearly $2 million for it.  Varjas says he took the money and agreed not to work on such motors, nor sell or speak of them, for 10 years. Asked whether he believes hidden motors like his have been used since then, he answers, “I think. Yes.”

Varjas claims it’s not his fault if pro cyclists ended up with his bike. “If  a grandfather came and buy a bike and after it’s go to...his grandson who is racing, it’s not my problem,” he says.  Asked whether he would sell a motor to a person who told him he was going to cheat with it, he replies with a little laugh, “If the money is big, why not?”

60 Minutes met Varjas in a Budapest bike shop where he demonstrated his motor designs and completed motorized bicycles that he sells to wealthy clients.  He showed 60 Minutes how a secret switch can engage the hidden motors, or, in a more sophisticated model, they can be engaged when a racer’s heart rate peaks. He allowed Whitaker to test ride some of the bikes with hidden motors.

The first time it was publicly suspected a motor was being used in pro cycling was in 2010 when a Swiss rider raced at an unusually high speed.  That rider denied using a motor. There have been other suspicious incidents and one rider was caught with a secret motor in 2016.  Jean-Pierre Verdy, former testing director of the French Anti-doping Agency, says the sport has a problem. “It’s been the last three to four years when I was told about the use of the motors,” Verdy tells Whitaker.  “There’s a problem. By 2015, everyone was complaining and I said, ‘something’s got to be done.’”

LeMond, an outspoken advocate for drug testing, wants his former sport to do more testing for the motors, too.   “This is curable. This is fixable.  I don’t trust it until they figure out...how to-- take the motor out.  I won’t trust any victories of the Tour de France,” says LeMond.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/60-minutes-preview-enhancing-the-bike/

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #950 on: January 27, 2017, 06:08:41 pm »
"Still he'll retire with his legacy intact"

Loving the certainty.

They're considering launching an appeal - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/38757620.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #951 on: January 27, 2017, 06:49:03 pm »
The Hungarian designer of a secret bike motor tells Bill Whitaker he thinks the motors have been used to cheat in pro cycling as far back as 1998.  Istvan Varjas speaks to Whitaker for a 60 Minutes investigation into mechanical cheating in a sport already infamous for its doping scandals.  One of the sport’s champions, three-time Tour de France winner Greg LeMond, is convinced the motors are being used.  He’s also in the 60 Minutes report, to be broadcast Sunday, Jan. 29 at 7 p.m. ET/PT.

Varjas, a scientist and former cyclist, says he first designed a motor to fit inside a bike’s frame in 1998. He says a friend found an anonymous buyer who offered him nearly $2 million for it.  Varjas says he took the money and agreed not to work on such motors, nor sell or speak of them, for 10 years. Asked whether he believes hidden motors like his have been used since then, he answers, “I think. Yes.”

Varjas claims it’s not his fault if pro cyclists ended up with his bike. “If  a grandfather came and buy a bike and after it’s go to...his grandson who is racing, it’s not my problem,” he says.  Asked whether he would sell a motor to a person who told him he was going to cheat with it, he replies with a little laugh, “If the money is big, why not?”

60 Minutes met Varjas in a Budapest bike shop where he demonstrated his motor designs and completed motorized bicycles that he sells to wealthy clients.  He showed 60 Minutes how a secret switch can engage the hidden motors, or, in a more sophisticated model, they can be engaged when a racer’s heart rate peaks. He allowed Whitaker to test ride some of the bikes with hidden motors.

The first time it was publicly suspected a motor was being used in pro cycling was in 2010 when a Swiss rider raced at an unusually high speed.  That rider denied using a motor. There have been other suspicious incidents and one rider was caught with a secret motor in 2016.  Jean-Pierre Verdy, former testing director of the French Anti-doping Agency, says the sport has a problem. “It’s been the last three to four years when I was told about the use of the motors,” Verdy tells Whitaker.  “There’s a problem. By 2015, everyone was complaining and I said, ‘something’s got to be done.’”

LeMond, an outspoken advocate for drug testing, wants his former sport to do more testing for the motors, too.   “This is curable. This is fixable.  I don’t trust it until they figure out...how to-- take the motor out.  I won’t trust any victories of the Tour de France,” says LeMond.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/60-minutes-preview-enhancing-the-bike/

Do you think there'll be anything new in it? More than in that French (Italian?) documentary?

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #952 on: January 27, 2017, 07:22:37 pm »
Nothing that we haven't already talked about in the pro thread, unless is it's about Armstrong.

I do recall Ger Gilroy asking Armstrong about motors when he was on the "Off The Ball" show a few back, and I thought then, that was an interesting question. I doubt it'll be anything too incendiary as I think it's only a 15 minute section of the "60 Minutes" show.

Even if they do name Armstrong and he's guilty, so what...he's already a pariah and there's more absurd performances happening in the peloton right now and naught is said...do we really believe Femke is the only rider whose ever had a motor in a bike? A 19 year old child, the only one...yeah!

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #953 on: January 27, 2017, 08:28:50 pm »
Nothing that we haven't already talked about in the pro thread, unless is it's about Armstrong.

I do recall Ger Gilroy asking Armstrong about motors when he was on the "Off The Ball" show a few back, and I thought then, that was an interesting question. I doubt it'll be anything too incendiary as I think it's only a 15 minute section of the "60 Minutes" show.

Even if they do name Armstrong and he's guilty, so what...he's already a pariah and there's more absurd performances happening in the peloton right now and naught is said...do we really believe Femke is the only rider whose ever had a motor in a bike? A 19 year old child, the only one...yeah!
;D

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #954 on: February 10, 2017, 02:18:39 pm »
Russian athlete Mariya Savinova has been stripped of her 800m gold from London 2012.http://bbc.in/2kWHqez

London 2012 gold medallist Mariya Savinova has been stripped of her 800m title and banned until 2019.

The Russian has had all her results from July 2010 to August 2013 annulled after being found guilty of doping.

Savinova beat South Africa's Caster Semenya into second at the London Olympics and the 2011 Worlds in Daegu.

The 31-year-old also beat Britain's Jenny Meadows into to bronze at the 2010 Europeans. Both athletes could now have their medals upgraded.

Savinova will also lose her 800m gold from the 2011 World Championships and the European Championships in 2010.

And she will forfeit a World Championship silver from 2013 and will be suspended for four years, backdated to 2015.

A Court of Arbitration for Sport statement read: "On the basis of clear evidence, including the evidence derived from her biological passport (ABP), Mariya Savinova is found to have been engaged in using doping from 26 July 2010 (the eve of the European Championship in Barcelona) through to 19 August 2013 (the day after the World Championship in Moscow).

"As a consequence, a four-year period of ineligibility, beginning on 24 August 2015, has been imposed and all results achieved between 26 July 2010 and 19 August 2013, are disqualified and any prizes, medals, prize and appearance money forfeited."
The background

Savinova was one of five Russian athletes named in a World Anti-Doping Agency (Wada) report into doping.

She has not raced since 2013 after being suspended during an investigation sparked by the release of undercover footage filmed by whistleblower Yuliya Stepanova.

Should the International Olympic Committee decide to reallocate the medals from the London 2012 final, Semenya would be awarded a second gold after she claimed the 800m title in Rio last summer.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #955 on: February 10, 2017, 06:01:03 pm »
That's her career over, 31 now, hasn't competed for a few years and won't do for a couple more. These "victories" must seem so hollow to people like her, either that or their ego/lust for glory snuffs out any introspection.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #956 on: February 10, 2017, 09:21:30 pm »
Russian athlete Mariya Savinova has been stripped of her 800m gold from London 2012.http://bbc.in/2kWHqez

So that means Semenya will become a double Olympic champion, a female athlete with abnormally high testosterone levels.  An athlete who burst onto the scene, blowing everyone away.  She was then made to take medication to bring her levels back down to other runners, not surprsingly, her form fell off a cliff,

With those rules now suspended, she has once more dominated the event, winning the gold in Rio last year.

I think it stinks, just as much as doping.

Offline Ziltoid

• Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #957 on: February 14, 2017, 08:21:40 am »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/38964396

Banned cyclist Lance Armstrong has lost his bid to block a $100m (£79m) lawsuit by the US government.

The suit alleges that Armstrong defrauded the government by cheating while riding for the publicly funded US Postal Service team.

It was filed by Armstrong's former team-mate Floyd Landis before being joined by the government in 2013.

A federal judge refused to block the lawsuit on Monday, which clears the way for the case to go to trial.

Armstrong was stripped of his seven Tour de France titles and banned for life in August 2012.

The 45-year-old won the seven titles between 1999 and 2005. The US Postal Service sponsored the team between 1996 and 2004.

Armstrong admitted to using drugs in all seven of his Tour wins in January 2013 while Landis was stripped of his 2006 Tour de France title for failing a doping test.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #958 on: February 14, 2017, 08:57:55 am »
So that means Semenya will become a double Olympic champion, a female athlete with abnormally high testosterone levels.  An athlete who burst onto the scene, blowing everyone away.  She was then made to take medication to bring her levels back down to other runners, not surprsingly, her form fell off a cliff,

With those rules now suspended, she has once more dominated the event, winning the gold in Rio last year.

I think it stinks, just as much as doping.

She should continue to "dope" to be slower?  Her 'abnormal' testosterone levels are her natural level.  She's not that quick, she's well outside WR pace.  The other females need to get faster.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Ziltoid

• Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #959 on: February 14, 2017, 09:12:45 am »
Unfortunately the top 20 all time in the 800m women contain several athletes who I would consider very dubious.

http://www.alltime-athletics.com/w_800ok.htm