Author Topic: Formula One - The 2023 Season  (Read 90311 times)

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Formula One - The 2023 Season
« Reply #1080 on: July 5, 2023, 08:16:20 am »
I don’t really buy into any of this sort of stuff. Nobody seemed to care when Mercedes absolutely dominated for years. Every team has a strict set of technical regulations to which they design their cars around. You can’t punish the teams that do a better job, you just have to applaud it.

People did care when it was Merc winning all the time, they also cared when it was Red Bull again before that and Ferrari before them. I’m in the camp of not punishing a team for doing a good job too but it’s simply not true to say that this complaint about one team being successful is unique to Red Bull.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #1081 on: July 5, 2023, 08:25:47 am »
Oh aye the crying when the Schumacher/ferrari combo were winning championship after championship was huge. If there had been any dts/social media around then it would have been unbearable

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #1082 on: July 5, 2023, 09:28:34 am »
People did care when it was Merc winning all the time, they also cared when it was Red Bull again before that and Ferrari before them. I’m in the camp of not punishing a team for doing a good job too but it’s simply not true to say that this complaint about one team being successful is unique to Red Bull.

You have to take into account the "Christian Horner is a weapon" factor.

Red bull are deservedly where they are, but Horner does spark a certain reaction
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1083 on: July 5, 2023, 09:36:15 am »
I'm a big Ferrari hater but I didn't mind watching the races then when Schumacher dominated, you felt you were watching pure genius in a F1 car with Schumacher in his pomp, also with being a  Williams fan they were a fun team with that BMW engine, so unpredictable but equally frustrating.

I didn't mind the Lewis era, maybe seeing a Brit dominate made it palatable.

This Max era is so sterile and boring, I haven't watched a full race this season. Plus Max and Horner get under my skin.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #1084 on: July 6, 2023, 05:38:50 pm »
Anyone going this weekend?

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #1085 on: July 7, 2023, 10:40:44 am »
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #1086 on: July 7, 2023, 10:46:24 am »
Lots of upgrades today

https://twitter.com/andrewbensonf1/status/1677250399063900161?s=46
I thought Mercedes were meant to have a big upgrade package for today.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #1087 on: July 7, 2023, 11:00:49 am »
The new calendar was released the other day

It'll be a bit odd having suzuka in the spring.

Online RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1088 on: July 8, 2023, 06:34:45 am »
The new calendar was released the other day

It'll be a bit odd having suzuka in the spring.
That Brazil to Vegas break 2 weeks is interesting.
Suzuka in the spring should fix not having rain there

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #1089 on: July 8, 2023, 11:18:10 am »
It’s going to be very interesting conditions for qualifying with the wind changing and the possibility of showers.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1090 on: July 8, 2023, 11:24:04 am »
Yeah the forecast is all over the place for qualifying so it’s likely going to be a mixed up grid tomorrow

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #1091 on: July 8, 2023, 11:46:05 am »
I'm a big Ferrari hater but I didn't mind watching the races then when Schumacher dominated, you felt you were watching pure genius in a F1 car with Schumacher in his pomp, also with being a  Williams fan they were a fun team with that BMW engine, so unpredictable but equally frustrating.

This Max era is so sterile and boring, I haven't watched a full race this season. Plus Max and Horner get under my skin.

This is exactly what it’s about, most people are fine with domination as long as it’s their guy who’s dominating and most people who say otherwise are bullshitting.

Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1092 on: July 8, 2023, 11:52:27 am »
This is exactly what it’s about, most people are fine with domination as long as it’s their guy who’s dominating and most people who say otherwise are bullshitting.
Explains perfectly why Germans don't bother watching it anymore and have no races there.

The height of Schumacher's era, Germany had 2 races a season with the German and European GP.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1093 on: July 8, 2023, 11:55:27 am »
Rain has arrived.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1094 on: July 8, 2023, 12:13:35 pm »

I think the sterile and boring bit is the team as a whole, they don't know how to let themselves go. I was watching last night a little competition that Sky arranged and all it involved where drivers pushing a tyre and the tyre had to land before the white line. Just an innocent bit of fun in front of thousands of fans. They had the McLaren, Ferrrari, Williams and another team I can't remember and they were all just having a laugh. Then they said Red Bull couldn't take part in it because they were "too busy." They then had this weird interview that Daniel Riccardo did with Verstappen and Perez which was the exact opposite of what we'd just seen. Then all of a sudden they announce that Red Bull will take part in it and these two guys arrived in RB gear. It then turned really bizarre as they had their helmuts on and wouldn't do interviews, so I suspect it wasn't Verstappen and Perez but RB decided not to look so miserable, but in actual fact they looked even worse for doing it. It's like they take everything too serious.

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #1095 on: July 8, 2023, 12:48:55 pm »
that image they use of leclerc makes him look like a serial killer

Offline On Axis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1096 on: July 8, 2023, 12:59:32 pm »
that image they use of leclerc makes him look like a serial killer
A few more botched Ferrari strategies and he might become one

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #1097 on: July 8, 2023, 01:24:40 pm »
very odd how they've managed to find a replacement f2 commentator who sounds like a deeper-voiced sounding version of the usual one.

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bob Mortimer stan account
« Reply #1098 on: July 8, 2023, 01:51:12 pm »
I think the sterile and boring bit is the team as a whole, they don't know how to let themselves go. I was watching last night a little competition that Sky arranged and all it involved where drivers pushing a tyre and the tyre had to land before the white line. Just an innocent bit of fun in front of thousands of fans. They had the McLaren, Ferrrari, Williams and another team I can't remember and they were all just having a laugh. Then they said Red Bull couldn't take part in it because they were "too busy." They then had this weird interview that Daniel Riccardo did with Verstappen and Perez which was the exact opposite of what we'd just seen. Then all of a sudden they announce that Red Bull will take part in it and these two guys arrived in RB gear. It then turned really bizarre as they had their helmuts on and wouldn't do interviews, so I suspect it wasn't Verstappen and Perez but RB decided not to look so miserable, but in actual fact they looked even worse for doing it. It's like they take everything too serious.
Yes but Lewis also didn't turn up for that challenge.

Red Bull and especially Max aren't stupid -- they would have been boo'd constantly. Even their not-so-comical stand ins were boo'd! It was like Goodison 2.0.
"If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to them again."
Stan Laurel

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1099 on: July 8, 2023, 02:08:41 pm »
Explains perfectly why Germans don't bother watching it anymore and have no races there.

The height of Schumacher's era, Germany had 2 races a season with the German and European GP.

I think that’s part of it in Germany, I’m pretty sure Schumacher was their first world champion which is pretty surprising when you consider the country is probably more synonymous with the motor vehicles then any other but the country doesn’t have the long established relationship with the sport of day the UK or Italy. But it’s also not just the Schumacher effect for want of a better phrase, I remember reading an article about how moving their F1 coverage from free to air to paid service has absolutely destroyed viewing figures and interest in the sport.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1100 on: July 8, 2023, 02:14:57 pm »

I think your really looking for something that isn’t there, the only team who I think you can level the charge of taking themselves too seriously is probably Ferrari, they seem very stingy with their time, interviews etc

And if you think Red Bull are too serious you must have missed the Ron Dennis and Jean Todt era!
Thinking is overrated.

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #1101 on: July 8, 2023, 02:17:16 pm »
I think that’s part of it in Germany, I’m pretty sure Schumacher was their first world champion which is pretty surprising when you consider the country is probably more synonymous with the motor vehicles then any other but the country doesn’t have the long established relationship with the sport of day the UK or Italy. But it’s also not just the Schumacher effect for want of a better phrase, I remember reading an article about how moving their F1 coverage from free to air to paid service has absolutely destroyed viewing figures and interest in the sport.

it seems common in a lot of countries really.

schumacher obviously
nobody turned up to catalunya, then alonso appears and spain suddenly is packed and has 2 races
zandvoort will be off the calendar faster than you can spit once verstappen retires

it's just the way of things.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1102 on: July 8, 2023, 02:33:00 pm »
I think your really looking for something that isn’t there, the only team who I think you can level the charge of taking themselves too seriously is probably Ferrari, they seem very stingy with their time, interviews etc

And if you think Red Bull are too serious you must have missed the Ron Dennis and Jean Todt era!

No, sadly I didn't miss that era and I'm completely aware of it. But now it's much better in that teams will release their drivers a lot more and actually give a bit more in a Grand Prix weekend. It's not the cheapest past time and I hate to think what they are paying now to attend. I am actually going to stick up for Ferrari (very unusual for me!), but I disagree with your point about them. I actually find it a lot harder to dislike them as they have definitely opened up a bit more than in the past. But that incident yesterday sums up Red Bull for me, it was a perfect opportunity for their drivers to show the lightened part of themselves but sadly they were too busy.  ::)

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1103 on: July 8, 2023, 03:04:50 pm »
Hamilton spinning though he kept the car going.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1104 on: July 8, 2023, 03:24:11 pm »
Verstappen has hit the inside of the pit wall as he was leaving the garage.

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #1105 on: July 8, 2023, 03:30:30 pm »
perez out in q1 yet again.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #1106 on: July 8, 2023, 03:30:37 pm »
Perez…. AGAIN
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #1107 on: July 8, 2023, 03:31:42 pm »
Red Bull need Albon back  ;D
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1108 on: July 8, 2023, 03:31:43 pm »
That was manic, with having the red flag when they got it, it meant your first lap had to be a good one. At one stage we could have lost almost anyone.

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #1109 on: July 8, 2023, 03:31:53 pm »
At what point do they give up on Perez?

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1110 on: July 8, 2023, 03:32:32 pm »
Now my satellite's gone down. Fuck this weather.  :butt

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #1111 on: July 8, 2023, 03:33:47 pm »
perez out in q1 yet again.
He went top of the leaderboard after his lap, then about a minute later he was out!

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1112 on: July 8, 2023, 03:34:21 pm »

Can’t see him being there next season. He’s completely fallen off a cliff.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1113 on: July 8, 2023, 03:34:58 pm »
No, sadly I didn't miss that era and I'm completely aware of it. But now it's much better in that teams will release their drivers a lot more and actually give a bit more in a Grand Prix weekend. It's not the cheapest past time and I hate to think what they are paying now to attend. I am actually going to stick up for Ferrari (very unusual for me!), but I disagree with your point about them. I actually find it a lot harder to dislike them as they have definitely opened up a bit more than in the past. But that incident yesterday sums up Red Bull for me, it was a perfect opportunity for their drivers to show the lightened part of themselves but sadly they were too busy.  ::)
So does Lewis Hamilton also get your criticism? Aston Martin weren't there either? Nor were lots of other teams?
Stan Laurel

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1114 on: July 8, 2023, 03:35:19 pm »
Danny Ricciardo has entered the chat.
Stan Laurel

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #1115 on: July 8, 2023, 03:36:48 pm »
they won't bin perez before the end of the season but he's probably not in that car in 2024.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1116 on: July 8, 2023, 03:37:20 pm »
So does Lewis Hamilton also get your criticism? Aston Martin weren't there either? Nor were lots of other teams?

They had invited only certain teams, Red Bull were the team that said no. Perhaps they didn't invite Mercedes.

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1117 on: July 8, 2023, 03:37:38 pm »
they won't bin perez before the end of the season but he's probably not in that car in 2024.
Agree, the championship is all but sewn up and you'd also imagine they'll have more than enough for the constructors too.
Stan Laurel

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1118 on: July 8, 2023, 03:38:29 pm »
They had invited only certain teams, Red Bull were the team that said no. Perhaps they didn't invite Mercedes.
George Russell was literally the first one there. Lewis Hamilton is the king of taking himself too seriously.
Stan Laurel

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #1119 on: July 8, 2023, 03:40:05 pm »

I can't remember hamilton ever doing any of sky f1's "activities" at any point (and they've done a lot over the years, darts, RC cars, fucking jenga etc) so they probably just don't bother inviting him any more!