Author Topic: Red Dead Redemption - Rockstar Games  (Read 322890 times)

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
Re: Red Dead Redemption - Rockstar Games
« Reply #3840 on: August 26, 2020, 03:07:29 pm »
I envy you only just getting to that point and experiencing it for the first time!
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Fabulous_aurelio

• You will always find him in the kitchen at parties (most likely alone in a corner with a half-empty glass of Tizer keeping his powder dry...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well Red.
« Reply #3841 on: August 26, 2020, 11:29:05 pm »
Without giving too much away, I didn't expect that part of the game to end there as the progress was only at 80%.

But honestly, a couple of pages back I said although beautiful, I found it hard to get into. But as I read loads of great stuff on here I carried on and fell in love with the characters and the world.

Someone (can't remember who) told me to play the game at Arthur's pace and don't rush it. You have to repeatedly tap a button to make him run, it's for a reason. Slow down and invest the time in it.

Over in the Assassins Creed thread it was mentioned that the acting between that series and the Red Dead games is on another level. I was intrigued to see how. Its in a league of its own.

A fantastic game. Probably, it terms of how I got absorbed by the character I was playing as, it's number one on my list.

I'll give online mode a crack next.
"Salahs in here......"

Offline Fabulous_aurelio

• You will always find him in the kitchen at parties (most likely alone in a corner with a half-empty glass of Tizer keeping his powder dry...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well Red.
« Reply #3842 on: August 27, 2020, 11:58:50 am »
Also, not sure if this has been posted before...bht this is an Essay by the mother of the actor who played Dutch Van Der Linde.

At 75, she wanted to experience her sons craft first hand. Never been a gamer she bought a Ps4. A great read.

https://www.reddit.com/r/reddeadredemption/comments/f31bz4/at_75_my_mother_decided_to_play_through_red_dead/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=post_body
"Salahs in here......"

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #3843 on: August 27, 2020, 02:33:50 pm »
It took me playing the story mode right through 3 times before i got into it[saving the game at certain points so you can go back to the chapters when all the gang are in camp], what i do now play a mission, then explore the map for a whilst before starting the next mission, i've ended up playing chapters 2 & 3 on repeat, & by far the best chapters in the game too.

I do love greet & antagonize[greet twice then antagonize] fellow gang members in camp too, it's even funnier greet twice & antagonize when Arthur is drunk, but don't do it too often though.
#Sausages

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3844 on: August 30, 2020, 01:56:39 pm »
This is one of those games I have, and although it's beautiful and full of things to do, it just isn't grabbing me, maybe it's my total lack of interest in the whole "western/cowboy" premise, there are several things about it that kill the immersion, such as the RPG-lite elements, surely there was room for a "casual" mode without this, and then a "survival" mode with all of those elements, other games have done this, and very well too.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #3845 on: August 30, 2020, 02:32:14 pm »
This is one of those games I have, and although it's beautiful and full of things to do, it just isn't grabbing me, maybe it's my total lack of interest in the whole "western/cowboy" premise, there are several things about it that kill the immersion, such as the RPG-lite elements, surely there was room for a "casual" mode without this, and then a "survival" mode with all of those elements, other games have done this, and very well too.
I'd love to try it but strongly suspect that I won't connect to it enough to persevere and get to the good stuff.

GTA and Lara Croft are the closest I've come to the genre and I just can't get into either

Offline ScottishKopite

• Kopite
« Reply #3846 on: August 31, 2020, 10:29:19 am »
I got this game on the day it came out and still not completed it I have tried and tried getting into it but I cannot focus and get into it .I love rockstar games but this never excited me or got me gripped like a GTA did .

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #3847 on: August 31, 2020, 02:11:15 pm »
A shame guys, cause I really do recommend enjoying it  :)

Offline ScottishKopite

• Kopite
« Reply #3848 on: September 1, 2020, 10:36:29 am »
A shame guys, cause I really do recommend enjoying it  :)

I might give it another shot - I got days gone a few months back working my way through that but been playing the new golf game in the last couple weeks.

will give red dead another go soon .

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #3849 on: September 1, 2020, 12:20:08 pm »
I still haven't finished it, but I did enjoy it while playing. At the end of the day, it is a great experience, but at the same time it's a bit tedious, if you don't find enjoyment in simply roaming the world and looking for what awaits you. I have done most of the story, but I feel like I have missed about a million things in the open world. That said, I don't really care about the hunting stuff or the searching dinosaur bones or whatever that was. Open worlds were fine when they were small enough to basically everywhere at one point (like in the old Gothic games). Nowadays, they're just so big that you literally have to go to every place on the map to find some of the "hidden" stuff. Having a job and doing other stuff, I just can't be arsed with that...

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #3850 on: September 1, 2020, 12:24:21 pm »
Like i've said i didn't enjoy it at first, but started enjoying RDR2 after a few playthroughs, don't start missions straight after you've finished a mission[unless of course the story compels you to start the next mission straight away] explore the gang camp, there's some great dialog between other gang members in camp especially in chapters 2 & 3, take time to explore the map[watch out for predators when you do], try & get fast travel asap too, this becomes available when you upgrade the camp in chapter 2.
#Sausages

Offline Fabulous_aurelio

• Legacy Fan
  • Well Red.
« Reply #3851 on: September 1, 2020, 02:20:59 pm »
I can understand why people are put off from it. It does take time and can be overwhelming.

I didn't think I was going to stick it out and then out of nowhere I just got to grips with it.

Its the most beautiful game. So moving. I remember a camp party one night (something quite serious had happened during the story mode before hand) and whilst everyone was stood around singing I took a photo. I was amazed at all the facial expressions and body language of the characters. Unreal detail.

Dutch was stood watching having a celebratory cigar, but you could tell that he was taken aback by what had happened. I just think as far as video games go, it's incredibly well done.
"Salahs in here......"

Offline Fabulous_aurelio

• Legacy Fan
  • Well Red.
« Reply #3852 on: September 1, 2020, 02:22:15 pm »
It's also a game you can just pick up and go for an explore if you have 30 minutes free. Go for a wander and play some poker or something.

I had formed an attachment to my character which made picking it up just for a quick hunt very easy.
"Salahs in here......"

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3853 on: September 2, 2020, 12:19:27 am »
I can understand why people are put off from it. It does take time and can be overwhelming.

I didn't think I was going to stick it out and then out of nowhere I just got to grips with it.

Its the most beautiful game. So moving. I remember a camp party one night (something quite serious had happened during the story mode before hand) and whilst everyone was stood around singing I took a photo. I was amazed at all the facial expressions and body language of the characters. Unreal detail.

Dutch was stood watching having a celebratory cigar, but you could tell that he was taken aback by what had happened. I just think as far as video games go, it's incredibly well done.

Basically Rockstar have set out to recreate the world of that era, and have subordinated the whole game to that theme. If that's what you want, then there is nothing that is even close to RDR2. If not, it may be alienating.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #3854 on: September 5, 2020, 08:22:43 pm »
At this point I really don't know how someone could come new to it and not know it's a semi-simulation rather than an arcadey shooter.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #3855 on: October 2, 2020, 08:25:11 pm »
It's definitely a beautiful game which is all about the little details as it slowly moves forward. I find it a bit clunky on PC which is one of the few negatives I can come up with so far. Little surprised they've not tried to make Arthur's movement a little smoother especially around objects. Going to have sort out key mapping too as I keep doing Geordie horse punching impressions when intending to pat them. Maybe it plays better with a controller. Will need to invest at some point I suppose. Would also like a little more flexibility on saving - I like to play in short amounts so gating at checkpoints isn't my favorite thing. Minor stuff though to what it's aiming to do, and does, successfully.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline blacksun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3856 on: October 2, 2020, 08:35:24 pm »
It's definitely a beautiful game which is all about the little details as it slowly moves forward. I find it a bit clunky on PC which is one of the few negatives I can come up with so far. Little surprised they've not tried to make Arthur's movement a little smoother especially around objects. Going to have sort out key mapping too as I keep doing Geordie horse punching impressions when intending to pat them. Maybe it plays better with a controller. Will need to invest at some point I suppose. Would also like a little more flexibility on saving - I like to play in short amounts so gating at checkpoints isn't my favorite thing. Minor stuff though to what it's aiming to do, and does, successfully.

I didn't notice it that much on PS4. I do think Arthurs movement is meant to be a little bit that way as he's meant to be a big guy so him moving like a ninja wouldn't feel right so they probably erred on the side of more John Wayne

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #3857 on: October 2, 2020, 09:05:20 pm »
I didn't notice it that much on PS4. I do think Arthurs movement is meant to be a little bit that way as he's meant to be a big guy so him moving like a ninja wouldn't feel right so they probably erred on the side of more John Wayne

I can buy that with the way he walks but what I mean is something which really shows in (relatively) restricted areas where you have to position near perfectly to use an item (eg a book). They solved it with drawers etc by using an animation to pull him round the right way to be able to access whatever items are there. Reminds me a bit of Witcher 3 before they patched Geralt to not turn like an oil tanker.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3858 on: October 2, 2020, 10:57:09 pm »
I played it on Xbox on release and was still punching horses and jumping on top of rocks instead of hiding behind them with a controller. Was hoping that might be better on PC but apparently not.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #3859 on: October 3, 2020, 12:10:46 am »
I played it on Xbox on release and was still punching horses and jumping on top of rocks instead of hiding behind them with a controller. Was hoping that might be better on PC but apparently not.

Rebinding will sort the horse punching out at least. Problem with having the two keys right next to each other when moving a finger quickly from 'D' more than anything. Not had the jumping onto rocks problem. Where you really notice that a controller would be more intuitive is in things where pressing a button repeatedly is needed in combination with movement or holding another button down. May try remapping to some mouse buttons as that may help some.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #3860 on: October 13, 2020, 09:38:21 pm »
One annoyance, seems that you can't access the Tempest Rim area of Ambarino even though the area is inside the boundaries of the map. :(
#Sausages

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3861 on: October 14, 2020, 04:00:50 am »
Not sure why people are accidentally punching horses. I use an xbox controller on pc and to pat the horse you simply hold down L2 and press X. Have over 200 hours in game and have never encountered that problem once.

Offline gwalk

• Legacy Fan
  • ní fheicfidh tú ag siúl ina n-aonar
« Reply #3862 on: October 15, 2020, 09:42:52 am »
Not sure why people are accidentally punching horses. I use an xbox controller on pc and to pat the horse you simply hold down L2 and press X. Have over 200 hours in game and have never encountered that problem once.

must be the geordie matchday edition

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #3863 on: December 30, 2020, 09:01:21 am »
Is the online game worth a go?

I play The Division 2 with some buddies, and whilst the co-op part is really fun the PvP element is full of cheats & griefers.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #3864 on: December 30, 2020, 02:02:44 pm »
I've never played online version, i prefer story mode

Been doing the Horseman challenges, the Horseman 9 has to be the most annoying of the challenges, it, get from & Van Horn to Blackwater within 17 minutes without touching water, oh & falling off your horse, i always get attacked by rival gangs/predators, then get a train on the Bards Crossing, then can guarantee it starts raining failing the mission. :no
#Sausages

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3865 on: December 30, 2020, 03:46:07 pm »
I've never played online version, i prefer story mode

Been doing the Horseman challenges, the Horseman 9 has to be the most annoying of the challenges, it, get from & Van Horn to Blackwater within 17 minutes without touching water, oh & falling off your horse, i always get attacked by rival gangs/predators, then get a train on the Bards Crossing, then can guarantee it starts raining failing the mission. :no

Always found those challenges pretty easy to be honest, just set up a load of markers on your map so you know your exact route and can plan to avoid all those things.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #3866 on: December 30, 2020, 04:09:16 pm »
Always found those challenges pretty easy to be honest, just set up a load of markers on your map so you know your exact route and can plan to avoid all those things.

Even when you do plan like that, you get hit by rain, thus failing the challenge. :no
#Sausages

Offline eddymunster

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #3867 on: January 14, 2021, 11:26:29 am »
Finally got round to getting this, quick question for you knowlegable lot on here, I can't find anything about online...

I know saddles and stirrups improve horse stats & i've seen videos and screen shots where you can see the improvement on the horse stat bars, but the bottom of the menu when I go to the stables to get new tack is blank. I have no option to hit R3 to show stats. Is this an update or is it a bug?

I'm on PS4 if that makes a difference
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 11:32:23 am by eddymunster »
Brexit (n) - "The undefined being negotiated by the unprepared in order to get the unspecified for the uninformed."

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3868 on: January 14, 2021, 03:34:45 pm »
Finally got round to getting this, quick question for you knowlegable lot on here, I can't find anything about online...

I know saddles and stirrups improve horse stats & i've seen videos and screen shots where you can see the improvement on the horse stat bars, but the bottom of the menu when I go to the stables to get new tack is blank. I have no option to hit R3 to show stats. Is this an update or is it a bug?

Are you actually at the point in the story where you can buy a new saddle, stirrups etc yet?  It's locked near the beginning of the game iirc.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #3869 on: January 14, 2021, 03:52:26 pm »

If your playing story mode i'd wait until chapter 3 the bank raid on Valentine mission, before upgrading stuff like saddles, most likely to be unlocked by then too, i'd try & upgrade camp first so you can get fast travel mode unlocked, which can be handy at times, you have to upgrade Dutch's camp first, then then Arthurs camp is upgradeable next up.

Horse tack upgrades
https://www.ign.com/wikis/red-dead-redemption-2/Horse_Upgrades

This one for the best horses
https://www.ign.com/wikis/red-dead-redemption-2/Horses_Guide_-_Locations,_Stats,_Bonding,_Taming,_and_Breeds
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 03:54:11 pm by Statto Red »
#Sausages

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3870 on: January 14, 2021, 03:55:49 pm »
The saddle stats always confuses the fuck out of me so I just get the one that looks best, I’m pretty sure it doesn’t make much difference

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #3871 on: January 14, 2021, 04:02:07 pm »
Just to add, you can start upgrading your horse, & horse tack, from the Exit Pursued By a Bruised Ego mission, were you take a spare horse to Valentine stables & sell the horse & buy the thoroughbred horse.

I happen to call my horse Mersey Reds ;D
#Sausages

Offline aw1991

• Legacy Fan
  • Love Firmino, hate bastards
« Reply #3872 on: January 15, 2021, 08:38:41 am »
Just to add, you can start upgrading your horse, & horse tack, from the Exit Pursued By a Bruised Ego mission, were you take a spare horse to Valentine stables & sell the horse & buy the thoroughbred horse.

I happen to call my horse Mersey Reds ;D
;D
Every horse I had in this game was named after a Liverpool player. Current one is Thiago.

Offline eddymunster

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #3873 on: January 15, 2021, 11:20:51 am »
Are you actually at the point in the story where you can buy a new saddle, stirrups etc yet?  It's locked near the beginning of the game iirc.
I'm currently camped near Saint Denis, chapter 4 i think.

The stats in the bottom left just aren't there and I've no option to show them
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 11:28:02 am by eddymunster »
Brexit (n) - "The undefined being negotiated by the unprepared in order to get the unspecified for the uninformed."

Offline eddymunster

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #3874 on: January 15, 2021, 11:31:14 am »
The saddle stats always confuses the fuck out of me so I just get the one that looks best, I’m pretty sure it doesn’t make much difference

They make a decent difference in terms of core drain rate and the stirrups can make your horse significantly faster I think.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3875 on: January 16, 2021, 03:16:01 am »
I'm currently camped near Saint Denis, chapter 4 i think.

The stats in the bottom left just aren't there and I've no option to show them

Have you tried using stables other than the one in Valentine?  Seems that the issue that you're having is the result of a bug (from what I've read), but for most people encountering the problem it's confined to the Valentine stables alone.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 03:17:41 am by Darren G »

Offline eddymunster

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #3876 on: January 16, 2021, 12:47:20 pm »
Have you tried using stables other than the one in Valentine?  Seems that the issue that you're having is the result of a bug (from what I've read), but for most people encountering the problem it's confined to the Valentine stables alone.
Ye same issue when I bought the black Arabian from Saint Denis. Seems like an obscure one. Looks like I’m just going to be using the wiki when I’m shopping for tack.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3877 on: January 16, 2021, 03:41:11 pm »
Ye same issue when I bought the black Arabian from Saint Denis. Seems like an obscure one. Looks like I’m just going to be using the wiki when I’m shopping for tack.

Just shoot anyone with a nice saddle  ;D
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline eddymunster

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #3878 on: January 16, 2021, 07:05:02 pm »

Just shoot anyone with a nice saddle  ;D
Haha Murder has been pretty much my go to solution to every circumstance so far. I’m trying to be honourable.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3879 on: January 17, 2021, 01:03:43 pm »
This is a brilliant twist on a standard fetch quest. Beau gives Arthur a bracelet to take to Penelope along with a letter. Arthur sells the bracelet at a fence, then delivers the letter to Penelope.

"Are you Penelope Braithewaite?"
"Why, yes I am."
"I have a letter for you."
"A letter?"
"It's not from me. It's from..."
"From Beau. Was there a gift? He usually sends a little something."
(Uneasily) "No, no gift. Just a letter." (Walks to one side, looking away)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd-N6SdvHQ4
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258