Author Topic: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation  (Read 590521 times)

Offline KC7

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Reply #13320 on: April 28, 2024, 07:26:02 pm »
I wonder if the Caciedo money will be coming the new man’s way?

It's why I've used the word "allegedly" bid for him in another post. Wouldn't trust these current owners as far as I could throw them. Still have PTSD over the January '21 window. Hope Jurgen one day reveals all that happened then, although I doubt hes the type to as he's an owners dream in never rocking the boat and calling them out.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13321 on: April 28, 2024, 07:28:46 pm »
No one allegedly bids a British transfer record for fucks sakes. Certainly not owners who are careful with their money. 

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #13322 on: April 28, 2024, 07:30:39 pm »
I think FSG will be better owners under the new structure. Very similar to baseball and hockey. I think they have struggled at times with the strong, broad managerial role.

Depends what they're willing to invest in the team ultimately.

Although it'll help a lot if we make better strategic decisions. 2016-2018 - really good and on point (and with the same structure we'll have now). 2019 to 2023 a lot of questionable decision making with recruitment. As much from signings we didn't make as much as signings we did and that also comes back to budgets and also being more ruthless in moving players on.

Also if Klopp wasn't leaving, maybe we'd have got an experienced midfielder in in January who could have made the difference.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2024, 07:34:24 pm by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Slippers

• atennerandwesaynomoreyeah?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13323 on: April 28, 2024, 07:33:01 pm »
Just wait for the James Pearce article about a supposed warchest this summer.  :-X

I love a nice warchest.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13324 on: April 28, 2024, 07:33:43 pm »
I'd imagine it's well underway.

Most of Klopps stuff has been moved out of the house, so he can start bringing his furniture over ;)
Jurgen YNWA

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13325 on: April 28, 2024, 07:39:51 pm »
Just wait for the James Pearce article about a supposed warchest this summer.  :-X
We can spend as much as £300m-£400m based on my projection but it depends on whether we see value.

It's also depends on whether we decide to go big on 1 or 2 players as against spreading it out more.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2024, 07:47:23 pm by MonsLibpool »

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13326 on: April 28, 2024, 07:40:07 pm »
Most of Klopps stuff has been moved out of the house, so he can start bringing his furniture over ;)

Is he going to be renting Brendan Rodgers' house as well? Would make sense for Brendan Rodgers mark II to do so (as I've been reading in this thread).
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13327 on: April 28, 2024, 07:44:22 pm »
Is he going to be renting Brendan Rodgers' house as well? Would make sense for Brendan Rodgers mark II to do so (as I've been reading in this thread).

We’ll know if he brings a painting of himself.

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13328 on: April 28, 2024, 07:44:34 pm »
The club bought that house for Klopp to live in rent-free (just taxed as BIK).
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #13329 on: April 28, 2024, 07:48:07 pm »
So if a stress trigger is not having the power to do something, why would you agree to join a club and work under such circumstances?

I’m sure Hughes has made some questionable decisions over the years, you’d struggle to find anyone at the relegation candidates that hasn’t. Unless you’re a Brighton and have the backing of someone like Tony Bloom and the advantages that brings, the others will always struggle as it’s much harder to convince players to join clubs like Bournemouth than it is to join established clubs.

I would also say it’s a bit harsh to bring the likes of Ibe and Smith up, they were literally from his first transfer window in his first appointment in the job. Like anyone, you’ll make mistakes early on, is it really fair bringing them up 8 years later?

So does that mean it’d be ok for Hughes to make a fuck up of our transfers this summer if it’s early on and it’s his first season at a big club? I think this summer, we need to get at least 3 or 4 transfers spot on or else we’ll be sliding even further behind city and Arsenal who will no doubt strengthen their squads as well.

Offline Oldmanmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13330 on: April 28, 2024, 07:54:59 pm »
Yeah it’s interesting because we can only guess from the outside. To me it feels like Klopp has lost the energy because competing with City with our resources is extremely difficult. Similar to what happened at Dortmund, and that losing him might make the difference more apparent. And the players he left behind at Dortmund never reached the same heights. Rather than the squad being stale, it’s that he’s wrung everything he could from them and a new manager might not be able to draw as much from the same players.

Hopefully Slot is great but I’ve not felt this level of apathy for a new season before but it’s hard to get excited when you’re losing one of the best fitting managers we’ve ever had.

Imagine how we young lads felt 50 years ago when the great Bill Shankly, right out of the blue, called it a day. Heartbroken & traumatised is the only way I could describe it. Turned out OK in the end though didn't it ? Keep the faith. We've got a great squad so our new manager is half way there already. If he's as tactically switched on as many people are saying, then we could be in for more fun times.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13331 on: April 28, 2024, 08:00:51 pm »
We can spend as much as £300m-£400m based on my projection but it depends on whether we see value.

It's also depends on whether we decide to go big on 1 or 2 players as against spreading it out more.

You'd expect we'll make a fair whack in sales as well and you're saving on Thiago and Matip's large salaries. If Salah goes as well then it's a huge amount saved in wages, even if you put a lot of that for new deals for Trent and Virg.

With the players coming through we're in a better place with the HG rule.

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13332 on: April 28, 2024, 08:02:52 pm »
You'd expect we'll make a fair whack in sales as well and you're saving on Thiago and Matip's large salaries. If Salah goes as well then it's a huge amount saved in wages, even if you put a lot of that for new deals for Trent and Virg.
You can add to that what you'd expect to be a fairly sizeable disparity between the respective salaries of Klopp and Slot.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13333 on: April 28, 2024, 08:05:28 pm »
Yeah it’s interesting because we can only guess from the outside. To me it feels like Klopp has lost the energy because competing with City with our resources is extremely difficult. Similar to what happened at Dortmund, and that losing him might make the difference more apparent. And the players he left behind at Dortmund never reached the same heights. Rather than the squad being stale, it’s that he’s wrung everything he could from them and a new manager might not be able to draw as much from the same players.

Hopefully Slot is great but I’ve not felt this level of apathy for a new season before but it’s hard to get excited when you’re losing one of the best fitting managers we’ve ever had.

It's April, we have no clue what the squad will look like in August which could either be good or bad. Not like we've appointed Roy Hodgson.

Last season was crap from the first half of the first game, getting a chasing at Fulham, then drawing with Palace with Nunez sent off, then losing at United. We can't go into a season as undercooked as that again. Get the pre-season right, get the recruitment right and it's a fresh start in August.

You can add to that what you'd expect to be a fairly sizeable disparity between the respective salaries of Klopp and Slot.

Yeah, although it'll balance out more by what we pay in compo to his club, over the two years Klopp had left.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13334 on: April 28, 2024, 08:06:28 pm »

With the players coming through we're in a better place with the HG rule.
Yes.

I've factored in possible sales like you said, increased matchday income and CL revenue. I agree with HG factor because Quansah and Bradley have saved us a lot of money.

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13335 on: April 28, 2024, 08:08:57 pm »
Yeah, although it'll balance out more by what we pay in compo to his club, over the two years Klopp had left.
Crap I forgot we're coughing up best part of 10 million. I wonder if that will be reflected in his reduced role "head coach" salary?

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13336 on: April 28, 2024, 08:12:16 pm »
Crap I forgot we're coughing up best part of 10 million. I wonder if that will be reflected in his reduced role "head coach" salary?

Klopp's on the best part of 20 mill a year (similar salary to Salah) so if you save on those two salaries it's a lot of money.

We'll pay Feyenoord around 10 mill and Slot's salary will be maybe  in the region of 10 mill a year. If it's nearer 15 then combined with the compo it'll work out about the same over the 2 years as if Klopp stayed. It should be weighted with bonuses as well (CL qualification/trophies etc.)

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13337 on: April 28, 2024, 08:16:43 pm »
Klopp's on the best part of 20 mill a year (similar salary to Salah) so if you save on those two salaries it's a lot of money.

We'll pay Feyenoord around 10 mill and Slot's salary will be maybe  in the region of 10 mill a year. If it's nearer 15 then combined with the compo it'll work out about the same over the 2 years as if Klopp stayed. It should be weighted with bonuses as well (CL qualification/trophies etc.)
Slot is on €2.5m at Feyenoord, a huge increase for them agreed last year when Spurs were sniffing around. I'd be shocked if we started him on £10m especially given he has significantly less responsibilities than Klopp and that compensation figure.

Online btroom

• Anny Roader
« Reply #13338 on: April 28, 2024, 08:20:46 pm »
There are a couple of things firstly one of the big triggers for stress is not having control and the power to do things. Secondly I am actually an advocate of a Sporting Director model. The thing is it is hugely important role and for me Hughes hasn't shown anywhere near enough to be given the role.

Edwards basically made his name by getting big fees for players like Ibe, Smith and Solanke amongst others. The worrying thing is it was his mate Hughes who was buying them. Then you get to him appointing the likes of Scott Parker and Jason Tindall as managers. Hughes has spent a lot of money at Bournemouth relative to the size of the club but he hasn't really made money on many players.

I'm sure Edwards done lot more for us than getting decent fees for those 3.  ::)

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13339 on: April 28, 2024, 08:32:52 pm »
The club bought that house for Klopp to live in rent-free (just taxed as BIK).

Didn't know that. At least Slot last accommodation is sorted then.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13340 on: April 28, 2024, 08:33:28 pm »
Last season was crap from the first half of the first game, getting a chasing at Fulham, then drawing with Palace with Nunez sent off, then losing at United. We can't go into a season as undercooked as that again. Get the pre-season right, get the recruitment right and it's a fresh start in August.
The Euros are gonna fuck up the pre-season unfortunately.

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #13341 on: April 28, 2024, 08:33:52 pm »
So what type of or style of play is the new boos into?
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13342 on: April 28, 2024, 08:36:40 pm »
The Euros are gonna fuck up the pre-season unfortunately.

Gives the youngsters a chance to impress though. Jones and Elliott unlikely to make the England squad. Bradley gets the summer off, Endo and Salah if he stays.

Offline wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #13343 on: April 28, 2024, 08:45:08 pm »
So what type of or style of play is the new boos into?
Gegenpressing out of possession. Lots of short, one-touch passing through the opposition's shape in possession. It's pleasant on the eye. Smoother, less chaotic than us.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #13344 on: April 28, 2024, 08:46:41 pm »
Gegenpressing out of possession. Lots of short, one-touch passing through the opposition's shape in possession. It's pleasant on the eye. Smoother, less chaotic than us.

I like what I am reading, a more controlled possession game would suit this squad.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13345 on: April 28, 2024, 08:49:06 pm »
It's the 3rd time in 4 seasons we've got stuck in a rut, January 2021 we were top of the league and collapsed for 2-3 months down to mid table before recovering for top 4 with a late run of wins. Last season we were poor from August to March but really bottomed out in Jan and Feb, when everything was hopeless. We recovered well to at least get Europa and could have nicked top 4.

Jurgen did well to recover from 20/21 with the success of 21/22 and the poor last season to have us challenging again, but we need a refresh through the club. Jurgen knows he needs the break and some more changes on the pitch. We've also rode our luck a lot this season and it wasn't sustainable.
Not really. Arsenal and City are both have massive finishing overperformances. Liverpool about even with it. Would be more unlucky then unsustainable.
The year Liverpool won the title data was very lucky and City underperformanced(Irc even with pre covid now). Liverpool has the best attack in the PL it not close in term of creating shots and best chances. It just not going in at the overperformance like City, Arsenal.

Offline cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13346 on: April 28, 2024, 08:51:22 pm »
Gives the youngsters a chance to impress though. Jones and Elliott unlikely to make the England squad. Bradley gets the summer off, Endo and Salah if he stays.

Elliott's a player I'm definitely excited to see work with Slot. Not that I really know enough about the latter to have any evidence, but for some reason I just feel like Harvey's exactly the sort of player he can help improve.

Offline wemmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13347 on: April 28, 2024, 08:52:10 pm »
I like what I am reading, a more controlled possession game would suit this squad.
Agreed. They have good, cear patterns of play. Looks a bit like City when they had Sane and Sterling.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13348 on: April 28, 2024, 08:52:31 pm »
I think Al's issue here is Hughes seems to have been appointed by virtue of being Edward's mate from their Portsmouth days. Rightly or wrongly, Edwards has been given almost total autonomy on football matters by FSG and yet there wasn't any hint of a "robust and data-driven process" being applied to recruitment for this particular job. He was all but given the nod the minute Edwards accepted the role of Football CEO, almost as a prerequisite. That doesn't sit well with me.

Edwards has crafted his reputation off his success here at Liverpool. Prior to Rodgers arriving there was a lot of criticism towards Edwards and the transfer committee. I very much doubt he wants to lose his hard won reputation just to give his mate an opportunity if he thinks he isnt good enough.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #13349 on: April 28, 2024, 09:06:24 pm »
Agreed. They have good, cear patterns of play. Looks a bit like City when they had Sane and Sterling.

Interesting, with that front line playing in a more controlled environment along with us keeping the ball for longer spells i think we will be more difficult to get at unlike the last couple of seasons where we have been wide open.

It is 433/4231/352 or what?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2024, 09:08:02 pm by Sarge »
Y.N.W.A.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #13350 on: April 28, 2024, 09:12:45 pm »
oh man why does this smell like an FSG thread with money talk

I'm just happy we have a new manager sorted who SEEMS to be the business

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13351 on: April 28, 2024, 09:15:06 pm »
Edwards has crafted his reputation off his success here at Liverpool. Prior to Rodgers arriving there was a lot of criticism towards Edwards and the transfer committee. I very much doubt he wants to lose his hard won reputation just to give his mate an opportunity if he thinks he isnt good enough.
Edwards is sorted now whatever happens, given the lengths FSG went to lure him back. The issue isn't whether he thinks Hughes is competent (especially with Edwards overseeing and all the data nerds like Spearman on the recruitment side supporting him), it's that it's not exactly been a meritocratic process. If there are major problems down the line, the blame will fall on Hughes not his boss/mate vouching for him.

Offline wemmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13352 on: April 28, 2024, 09:19:08 pm »
Interesting, with that front line playing in a more controlled environment along with us keeping the ball for longer spells i think we will be more difficult to get at unlike the last couple of seasons where we have been wide open.

It is 433/4231/352 or what?
4231/424 from what I've seen. Agreed. I also hope we'll be better in possession. They move the ball faster through midfield, so they don't play it back to the keeper nearly as much when they recycle, and they move upfield faster when they decide to attack. I'm optimistic.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #13353 on: April 28, 2024, 09:26:06 pm »
4231/424 from what I've seen. Agreed. I also hope we'll be better in possession. They move the ball faster through midfield, so they don't play it back to the keeper nearly as much when they recycle, and they move upfield faster when they decide to attack. I'm optimistic.

Thing is when he enters our dressing room he will be walking into a very, very good and experienced squad. Massive bonus is no mass rebuild is needed just a few patches.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline wemmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13354 on: April 28, 2024, 09:34:17 pm »
Thing is when he enters our dressing room he will be walking into a very, very good and experienced squad. Massive bonus is no mass rebuild is needed just a few patches.
I was skeptical of the hire initially, but I'm quickly coming around to that view. I think the quality of the midfield play might be a revelation.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13355 on: April 28, 2024, 09:35:15 pm »
Sporting losing 2-0 to Porto, Do we really care now?  ;D

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13356 on: April 28, 2024, 09:35:43 pm »
I'm really excited for this new chapter

Pressing and playing on the front foot was great at its best. 4231 was great at its best. Combining the two could bring some exceptional stuff

Got a feeling we're gonna be a really exciting team to watch

Offline Sonofthewind

• Main Stander
  • Cheers like
« Reply #13357 on: April 28, 2024, 09:40:44 pm »
Slightly off topic. But just thinking ahead to Slot's adventures in Europe next year. Regarding the new Champions league format. Does anyone know if it means we'll face other English teams in the league phase?

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13358 on: April 28, 2024, 09:44:22 pm »
Edwards is sorted now whatever happens, given the lengths FSG went to lure him back. The issue isn't whether he thinks Hughes is competent (especially with Edwards overseeing and all the data nerds like Spearman on the recruitment side supporting him), it's that it's not exactly been a meritocratic process. If there are major problems down the line, the blame will fall on Hughes not his boss/mate vouching for him.

But the world knows that its Edwards mate and that he appointed him. Should it all go to shit and Hughes gets turfed out, there would be some blowback on Edwards. He could have alleviated that by hiring what seemed a top Sporting Director on paper. But now there is pressure on him as well.

Edwards has been part of a shit set up under Rodgers and a good one under Klopp. I reckon he is super confident in his way of working and probably feels the best way of success is having a set up where people have the same outlook and work together. I reckon in Hughes he feels he has someone that can work in the way he is familiar with.

Offline Bread

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13359 on: April 28, 2024, 09:44:53 pm »
Sporting losing 2-0 to Porto, Do we really care now?  ;D

I'm not saying that it would be funny if Sporting bottled the league, but I'm also not saying that it wouldn't be funny.