Author Topic: Curtis Jones  (Read 597757 times)

Offline SinceSixtyFive

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We are Liverpool. Resistance is futile.
Re: Curtis Jones - no issues with self confidence
« Reply #320 on: July 4, 2020, 07:10:55 pm »
Good news.

For him and us.

Well in lad.

Online So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #321 on: July 4, 2020, 07:12:47 pm »
Hope he gets a few minutes before the end of the season.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #322 on: July 4, 2020, 07:15:53 pm »
Great news.

Hope he gets a few minutes before the end of the season.

Yep and into next season as well. Really hope him and Williams get game time next season. I know we're pretty well stocked in midfield but he's not looked out of place so far in the few opportunities he's had so far.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #323 on: July 4, 2020, 07:19:05 pm »
Great new!

He will score tomorrow.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #324 on: July 4, 2020, 07:23:02 pm »
Liverpool’s most Scouse looking person signs again
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #325 on: July 4, 2020, 07:34:40 pm »
Curtis Jones signs new contract with Liverpool FC

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/400832-curtis-jones-new-contract

Get in  :)

Brilliant news, its obvious he has caught the managers eye and I look forward to seeing what his future plans are.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #326 on: July 4, 2020, 07:54:02 pm »
Great news.

Yep and into next season as well. Really hope him and Williams get game time next season. I know we're pretty well stocked in midfield but he's not looked out of place so far in the few opportunities he's had so far.
Think he should be looking at trying to get minutes from Firmino when he's rested as well. Could peform a similair role even if it means shifting Mane and Salah's positions a bit.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #327 on: July 4, 2020, 08:01:30 pm »
James Pearce saying it's a 5 year deal with improved terms.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #328 on: July 4, 2020, 08:03:14 pm »
Think he should be looking at trying to get minutes from Firmino when he's rested as well. Could peform a similair role even if it means shifting Mane and Salah's positions a bit.

Interesting, I haven't see him play for the youth teams, but is that something that's feasible? Especially with Minamino needing minutes as well.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #329 on: July 4, 2020, 08:13:55 pm »
Interesting, I haven't see him play for the youth teams, but is that something that's feasible? Especially with Minamino needing minutes as well.
He's played way more from a wide left position than midfield and he's more of a creative, ball in to feet kind of player. Doesn't really have the off the ball movement that Mane and Salah bring to their roles, so if he's going to get minutes from one of them, or other than midfield, it's the role he'd be best suited to. He's got a unique skillset for his build where you could try him in a few positions. But yeah with Minamino and even keita and Ox all vying for the same minutes in similaor positions I'd be happy seeimg him star anywhere.

Online Sinyoro

• Give the ball to Bobby and he will scyoro
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #330 on: July 4, 2020, 08:21:14 pm »
Once said that he is way better than Woodburn and an erstwhile poster mocked me. I stand by my earlier assessment and go further to predict that he will reach Sancho levels.

Legend in the making, future captain too.

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #331 on: July 4, 2020, 08:45:39 pm »
Once said that he is way better than Woodburn and an erstwhile poster mocked me. I stand by my earlier assessment and go further to predict that he will reach Sancho levels.

Legend in the making, future captain too.

Easy there.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Curtis Jones
« Reply #332 on: July 4, 2020, 08:48:36 pm »
Liverpool’s most Scouse looking person signs again

Last year a mate of mine interviewed a few of the team’s younger lads for a fashion design project and he said what stood out (apart from their disdain for New Balance leisure-wear) was Curtis’s superb Scouse accent and vocabulary  ;D

Offline lgvkarlos

• Finnished with his shit punnery now.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #333 on: July 4, 2020, 08:56:06 pm »
Great news,really looking forward to seeing him play more minutes.

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #334 on: July 4, 2020, 09:54:22 pm »
He's played way more from a wide left position than midfield and he's more of a creative, ball in to feet kind of player. Doesn't really have the off the ball movement that Mane and Salah bring to their roles, so if he's going to get minutes from one of them, or other than midfield, it's the role he'd be best suited to. He's got a unique skillset for his build where you could try him in a few positions. But yeah with Minamino and even keita and Ox all vying for the same minutes in similaor positions I'd be happy seeimg him star anywhere.

Thanks mate. I know it's extremely difficult for young players to break in but can't help but be excited by and Williams :)

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #335 on: July 4, 2020, 10:00:29 pm »
Good news..

Online Sinyoro

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #336 on: July 4, 2020, 11:06:42 pm »
Thanks mate. I know it's extremely difficult for young players to break in but can't help but be excited by and Williams :)

I think he will play the Firmino role superbly

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #337 on: July 4, 2020, 11:12:02 pm »
I think he will play the Firmino role superbly

Please describe what you see as the Firmino role and the attributes Curtis has to play that role.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #338 on: July 4, 2020, 11:13:01 pm »
Al this ain't Question Time you know.  ;D

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #339 on: July 4, 2020, 11:23:15 pm »
Al this ain't Question Time you know.  ;D

Hopefully not. With a bit of luck I might actually get an answer to the question I asked.

;D ;D
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #340 on: July 4, 2020, 11:31:27 pm »
Made up for the lad.

Mum used to be good mates with his mum, no one could stand his dad though, had a tough upbringing so fair play to the lad for powering through and living his dream 👍

Online Sinyoro

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #341 on: July 4, 2020, 11:41:52 pm »
Please describe what you see as the Firmino role and the attributes Curtis has to play that role.

This is a role where an attacking midfielder is converted into a false nine. The attributes that Firmino has such as dribbling, playing other players in and scoring- Jones has in abundance. Jones is a brilliant finisher at his age groups- already shown it when he has moved to the seniors. Both are not as quick as the widemen.

Does that make sense to you? Feel free to ask if you need further help

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #342 on: July 5, 2020, 12:05:50 am »
The bosses thoughts on it.  :)

Jürgen Klopp: Curtis' new contract is a reward for his development https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/400833-jurgen-klopp-curtis-jones-new-contract
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #343 on: July 5, 2020, 12:07:09 am »
This is a role where an attacking midfielder is converted into a false nine. The attributes that Firmino has such as dribbling, playing other players in and scoring- Jones has in abundance. Jones is a brilliant finisher at his age groups- already shown it when he has moved to the seniors. Both are not as quick as the widemen.

The huge difference between an attacking midfield player and someone who can play the false 9 role is an ability to hold the ball up and bring other players in to play. Attacking midfield players tend to like receiving the ball facing the opposition goal and being progressive. As a false 9 you need to be able to compete with centre backs in one attack and drift in to midfield and create the next.

Probably the most significant part of Bobby's role though is that he is main trigger for the counter press. You have to press as a unit and you have to have triggers. Some are obvious, a poor pass into a player with his back to goal is an open invitation for an all out press. Others are more subtle, sensing that the passing channels are covered, or we have created a passing trap are far more subtle.

Bobby is brilliant at that. Assuming that Curtis will have that instinct is a bit of a stretch.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #344 on: July 5, 2020, 12:28:08 am »
Great stuff. Give him a start Jurgen, I'd love to see what the lad can do over 90 minutes against a premier league team as opposed to footballing nonentities like Everton.

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #345 on: July 5, 2020, 12:42:07 am »
Watching the under age teams you tend to see two things. Players who dominate their opponents physically and players with great technical ability. Age groups are a snapshot of a players' ability within a certain age group.

When you hit the first team you aren't competing within a single age group, you are generally competing with a decade of age groups. So you either have to be a sub human physical athlete, an unbelievably talented player or preferably both.

Curtis Jones fits in to the latter category. Even at the age of 14 or 15 he was physically imposing, even against older bigger players he was still powerful. Yet he has always been probably the most talented player on the pitch. That is a heady mix.

What he needs to do now is kick on and prove he is more Gerrard and less Barkley. 
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #346 on: July 5, 2020, 12:58:55 am »
Watching the under age teams you tend to see two things. Players who dominate their opponents physically and players with great technical ability. Age groups are a snapshot of a players' ability within a certain age group.

When you hit the first team you aren't competing within a single age group, you are generally competing with a decade of age groups. So you either have to be a sub human physical athlete, an unbelievably talented player or preferably both.

Curtis Jones fits in to the latter category. Even at the age of 14 or 15 he was physically imposing, even against older bigger players he was still powerful. Yet he has always been probably the most talented player on the pitch. That is a heady mix.

What he needs to do now is kick on and prove he is more Gerrard and less Barkley.
That seems fair, from what little I saw of Jones in the younger age groups he always seemed to have a great blend of technique and physique. I've no idea how he'll go from here, but he's under one of the very best coaches in the world in terms of bringing through young players, and he seems to have great drive and self-belief. Would be lovely to have another scouser come through and establish himself in the squad too. I really hope he gets a start or two in the run in.

On the subject of Barkley, he's certainly no Gerrard, but he's a good player in his own right I feel, and if Jones reaches even his level then he'll have done pretty well. I guess he's a bit unfortunate in being primarily a central midfielder, an area of the pitch that we're very well stocked in, but he seems capable of playing in the wider positions even if it's not his ideal role so I think he could have a good chance of seeing a fair few minutes next season. I know you took issue with his playing the Bobby role Al, and I personally feel Sadio and Minamino will be the first and second choice cover there personally, but I do feel his physical and technical attributes might make sense for that position too. Who knows? Hopefully the future's very bright for the lad, wherever he ends up.

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #347 on: July 5, 2020, 01:21:32 am »
That seems fair, from what little I saw of Jones in the younger age groups he always seemed to have a great blend of technique and physique. I've no idea how he'll go from here, but he's under one of the very best coaches in the world in terms of bringing through young players, and he seems to have great drive and self-belief. Would be lovely to have another scouser come through and establish himself in the squad too. I really hope he gets a start or two in the run in.

I think that is a very fair summary. Usually you want your more gifted athletes to improve technically and you want your highly gifted technical players to bloom physically. Jones has both qualities in abundance. You actually need your better youth players to look as if they are in the wrong age group just to have a chance of making it.

On the subject of Barkley, he's certainly no Gerrard, but he's a good player in his own right I feel, and if Jones reaches even his level then he'll have done pretty well. I guess he's a bit unfortunate in being primarily a central midfielder, an area of the pitch that we're very well stocked in, but he seems capable of playing in the wider positions even if it's not his ideal role so I think he could have a good chance of seeing a fair few minutes next season. I know you took issue with his playing the Bobby role Al, and I personally feel Sadio and Minamino will be the first and second choice cover there personally, but I do feel his physical and technical attributes might make sense for that position too. Who knows? Hopefully the future's very bright for the lad, wherever he ends up.

The Gerrard and Barkley comparisons are purely about young players who were technically and physically superior to their peers. That though is just the start. You have to compete with a decade of age groups in your own Country and then every age group in every Country.

"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #348 on: July 5, 2020, 01:39:45 am »
I think that is a very fair summary. Usually you want your more gifted athletes to improve technically and you want your highly gifted technical players to bloom physically. Jones has both qualities in abundance. You actually need your better youth players to look as if they are in the wrong age group just to have a chance of making it.

The Gerrard and Barkley comparisons are purely about young players who were technically and physically superior to their peers. That though is just the start. You have to compete with a decade of age groups in your own Country and then every age group in every Country.
Oh aye, I got that man, I was just putting forth a personal view about Barkley - I think he (understandably, given who he played for and who we support) often gets a raw deal on here, and is a class player in his own right, even if I don't think he ever made the most out of his potential.

But anyway, I agree completely in that you want lads who look far beyond their peers in their age groups. I don't think we've had any of those for a while, since Sterling really, at least in an attacking sense, but Jones and Elliott both look like they could do it. I think the fact that both have represented England for most of the youth teams is a good sign too, Brewster also, although obviously he's been hampered by injury a bit. Jones certainly has a good chance, although I'm loath to say he'll make it with us just yet; I've been burned a lot in the past (Dalla Valle, Pacheco etc) and the bar is soooo high for a young lad coming into our team at the minute, given just how bloody good we are. Still...he's got something. Elliott may be the more prodigious of the two, but I'm quietly very intrigued about young Curtis.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #349 on: July 5, 2020, 07:00:05 am »

Right. Be pleasant to people on here please. You might be the all seeing omniscient oracle but it doesn’t give you a right to be condescending.

And you lot too.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #350 on: July 5, 2020, 07:46:58 am »
Nice one lad. You're the future. :scarf
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Floydy

• G is for grumpy. It is modest understatement.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hidden in the shadows, Orchestrating life
« Reply #351 on: July 5, 2020, 09:08:45 am »
delighted for him, well deserved. Also offers a carrot to the other younger lads that they can too be part of the best team on the planet. Sends a big message to players already at the club and those at other clubs who may be thinking of where they can go to develop.
Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.  Albert Einstein.  
Unquestionable trust in authority is the enemy of truth. Albert Einstein
Wake up to the war on for your mind!

Online So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #352 on: July 5, 2020, 09:17:29 am »

Deep down Everton fans hoped Barkley would prove he is more Gerrard and less Rodwell.

Different standards hey? ;D

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #353 on: July 5, 2020, 10:48:02 am »
Great news, well in Curtis 👍👍👍
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Offline Gaz123456

• Legacy Fan
  • 2005 - The best and worst year of my life
    • Elite Financial Planning Consultants
« Reply #354 on: July 5, 2020, 10:54:28 am »
Seems to have been around for ever so it's easy to forget how young he is. Always seemed to do well in the pre season friendlies, but has stepped up a level this term. Delighted he's signed.

He's a natural replacement for Lallana as well so his signing has saved us a few bob on the transfer market this close season.

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #355 on: July 5, 2020, 11:35:10 am »
geerrr in there! nothing better than seeing local lad given a chance. And with manager who is willing to give the youngsters a chance, anything and everything is possible.

him and elliot both seem to be good lads pushing each other to be better as well, which is a good thing

hope to see him play some minutes if we are up since the title is wrapped up.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #356 on: July 5, 2020, 11:41:40 am »
Definitely needs a big tash

Offline NsRed

• Kopite
« Reply #357 on: July 5, 2020, 02:49:18 pm »
To me he has the closest skilllset to Bobby in the squad. I think he could be really effective as a false 9, dropping deep and bringing the wide forwards in to play. I think he’s better suited to that central front 3 spot than Minamino as his hold up play is a little better

Offline ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
« Reply #358 on: July 5, 2020, 04:04:44 pm »
I think he’ll get some minutes today just hope it’s not just the final 5/10. Huge potential with his skill and technique, happy to see he’s signed again.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #359 on: July 5, 2020, 06:19:11 pm »
Get the fuck in son
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp