Author Topic: True Detective - HBO Drama  (Read 159054 times)

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
Re: True Detective - HBO Drama with Woody Harrelson and McConaughey (2014)
« Reply #200 on: February 11, 2014, 12:49:58 am »
I missed Skrtel's opener at the weekend, but fervently celebrated his second and Sterling's goal.  When Sturridge scored I simply reclined in awestruck disbelief.

This show is creating that same feeling - the characters (and actors' performances) are so compelling and their relationship and story so immersive that you can't help but get drawn in - after the dense plod through the crafting of these characters who we feel like we've spent weeks with, that final scene was breathtaking.

This is outstanding television - it's knocking everything else put of the park and it's less than four hours old.  Raising the bar, this.

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: February 11, 2014, 01:01:26 am »
I'm the only one that didn't rate it then? All felt a bit forced to me, preferred it when it was more subtle
I'm not averse to this argument. I felt Breaking Bad went a bit too Hollywood after season 3 and lost a lot of the tension and subtlety of the previous seasons . This is 8 episodes long. It didn't feel forced or contrived at all to me. The plot is naturally heading towards the action. Once the guy is caught (mild spoiler) I expect the interviews sections get a lot more intense.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline ghost1359

• Loves his nuts, but can't swallow them without gagging
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: February 11, 2014, 01:03:31 am »
I'm not averse to this argument. I felt Breaking Bad went a bit too Hollywood after season 3 and lost a lot of the tension and subtlety of the previous seasons . This is 8 episodes long. It didn't feel forced or contrived at all to me. The plot is naturally heading towards the action. Once the guy is caught (mild spoiler) I expect the interviews sections get a lot more intense.

I hope so, hasn't ruined it for me by any means but I personally thought that was the weakest of the episodes so far.
"Be on the watch, the gods will offer you chances. Know them, take them" - The laughing heart, Charles Bukowski

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #203 on: February 11, 2014, 01:10:25 am »
I'm the only one that didn't rate it then? All felt a bit forced to me, preferred it when it was more subtle

Spoiler
I thought you could really see Rust's descent into the drugs and the instability of all that in every twitch and discoloration on McConaughey's face, and like 12th said, all of that build-up led very naturally into the action last night, I thought. I know what you are saying about there being an abrupt shift after all of the build-up before, but I thought they handled it extremely well. The sheer tension of that whole time in the hood - moreso than in the biker bar, which was less tense than I thought it would be - was just heart-clenchingly terrifying.
[close]
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Dan Dando

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #204 on: February 11, 2014, 01:19:01 am »
I hope so, hasn't ruined it for me by any means but I personally thought that was the weakest of the episodes so far.

I posted this a page or two back, I think... but it's a bit of insight as to how the season is going to shape up from here on out.

"Episode four is the beginning of Act Two. Suddenly, the rhythm of the entire show changes. The slow part is over now. The first three episodes move at a very deliberate, almost funereal cadence, like you’re marching toward something. And what you’re marching toward is that final image in episode three.
Then in episodes four, five, and six, the rhythm is much more varied. They’re like children. I love them all for different reasons. But five for me is like the most special of the children. Then seven and eight are the third act—and the less said about that, the better."

So I think the next two episodes are going to be more like episode four than the first three, hopefully that doesn't put you off. Although Pizzolatto says there that next week's episode is his favourite.
"I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is." - Kurt Vonnegut

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: February 11, 2014, 01:24:41 am »
Spoiler
I thought you could really see Rust's descent into the drugs and the instability of all that in every twitch and discoloration on McConaughey's face, and like 12th said, all of that build-up led very naturally into the action last night, I thought. I know what you are saying about there being an abrupt shift after all of the build-up before, but I thought they handled it extremely well. The sheer tension of that whole time in the hood - moreso than in the biker bar, which was less tense than I thought it would be - was just heart-clenching terrifying.
[close]
Spoiler
It starts with Cohle telling Marty about the sat phone, while he asks about his wife. Cohle's face, how fucking serious and intense he gets, he knows just how dangerous visiting the biker club is, the way he gives Marty two or three deadly serious and hard pats on the back. From that point on it all got cranked up to an incredible pitch.
[close]

I like the fact that the one director is doing all the episodes, and that it is short. Often with these things they get some success and the temptation to stretch it out is too much. [/spoiler]
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 01:26:44 am by Twelfth Man »
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: February 11, 2014, 01:28:21 am »
I posted this a page or two back, I think... but it's a bit of insight as to how the season is going to shape up from here on out.

"Episode four is the beginning of Act Two. Suddenly, the rhythm of the entire show changes. The slow part is over now. The first three episodes move at a very deliberate, almost funereal cadence, like you’re marching toward something. And what you’re marching toward is that final image in episode three.
Then in episodes four, five, and six, the rhythm is much more varied. They’re like children. I love them all for different reasons. But five for me is like the most special of the children. Then seven and eight are the third act—and the less said about that, the better."

So I think the next two episodes are going to be more like episode four than the first three, hopefully that doesn't put you off. Although Pizzolatto says there that next week's episode is his favourite.
Sounds like next week's episode is going to even more awesome than Sunday's.

Offline BigMarcs

• Would like an R with his Mac...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: February 11, 2014, 01:36:00 am »
Spoiler
That last scene was extremely intense. Like someone said above, GTA style
[close]
Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/bigcreds

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #208 on: February 11, 2014, 01:40:55 am »
That was excellent. Final scene was brilliant.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline Dan Dando

• Anny Roader
« Reply #209 on: February 11, 2014, 01:44:57 am »
Spoiler
That last scene was extremely intense. Like someone said above, GTA style
[close]

Spoiler
Reminds me of an interesting post I stumbled upon on Tumblr earlier on.

"I loved the single-take action scene on “True Detective” last night. People who don’t play videogames often talk about how videogames have influenced the visuals in movies, but they point to the wrong things: Michael Bay, fast editing, lots of explosions. People who play videogames know that most games are, visually speaking, remarkably steady: The camera hovers in a first-person or third-person perspective, and there are no “cuts” or “edits.”

Whereas the “True Detective” scene actually FELT like a videogame: Following over McConaughey’s back, it allowed us to see both his surroundings and how he was reacting to the surroundings.

It was sort of first-person AND third-person in that way — reminiscent of Michael Mann’s post-“Heat” period, when the camera constantly seems perched right behind his character’s shoulders. (Call it the Ear Close-up.)"
[close]
"I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is." - Kurt Vonnegut

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: February 11, 2014, 01:50:09 am »
Spoiler
Reminds me of an interesting post I stumbled upon on Tumblr earlier on.

"I loved the single-take action scene on “True Detective” last night. People who don’t play videogames often talk about how videogames have influenced the visuals in movies, but they point to the wrong things: Michael Bay, fast editing, lots of explosions. People who play videogames know that most games are, visually speaking, remarkably steady: The camera hovers in a first-person or third-person perspective, and there are no “cuts” or “edits.”

Whereas the “True Detective” scene actually FELT like a videogame: Following over McConaughey’s back, it allowed us to see both his surroundings and how he was reacting to the surroundings.

It was sort of first-person AND third-person in that way — reminiscent of Michael Mann’s post-“Heat” period, when the camera constantly seems perched right behind his character’s shoulders. (Call it the Ear Close-up.)"
[close]
That is spot on.
Spoiler
It captured the intensity of the biker and hood escape missions in GTA V, and FPS in general.
[close]
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 01:56:31 am by Twelfth Man »

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: February 11, 2014, 03:25:58 am »
That is spot on.
Spoiler
It captured the intensity of the biker and hood escape missions in GTA V, and FPS in general.
[close]

Spoiler
I felt that too, as I was watching it, and the thing I liked about it is that it wasn't a lazy rip-off of videogames like GTA at all - it was reminiscent of them, very much so, but it was also its own thing, and had its own cinema verite. It was just fucking greatness. I'm going to wait until the season is over, because I don't like to read too much speculation on what might happen, even if it is kind of mild, but I'm really interested to look into the makers of this show more deeply.
[close]

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #212 on: February 11, 2014, 03:27:46 am »
Just finished #4. Amazing. To think that people are comparing this show, four episodes in, to some of the greatest TV of all time, and you know they're more right than wrong.

Most exciting thing for me is that the writer says he's found a character that he likes even more than Rust for season 2. Means this show will be going places even after this season is over. Don't know if I can take much more of that though! Been a very tense 3 episodes so far and that 4th one brought so much intensity in the final stages.

Offline red mongoose

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: February 11, 2014, 03:31:27 am »
Just finished #4. Amazing. To think that people are comparing this show, four episodes in, to some of the greatest TV of all time, and you know they're more right than wrong.

Most exciting thing for me is that the writer says he's found a character that he likes even more than Rust for season 2. Means this show will be going places even after this season is over. Don't know if I can take much more of that though! Been a very tense 3 episodes so far and that 4th one brought so much intensity in the final stages.

I was just thinking about this too, how happy I am that this is an anthology series - as much as I love these characters and would like to see much more of them, an anthology is something different and I'm in the mood for something different. I think the biggest thing though is that it adds intensity to an already very intense show - we, as viewers, know that it all has to happen in these eight episodes. It amps everything up to 11. Really fucking impressed with everything about this show, to be honest.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #214 on: February 11, 2014, 04:28:13 am »
i thought the series took a bit of a dip with this episode.  the first major lull. it didn't grab me (despite some good moments) and the massive cliche of the "sure i'll help you... if you do this" made it more GTA than it should have been.  it was a misstep, IMO, out of character with the rest of the show.

but then that six minute shot.  one shot, and that's impressive in itself, but it's one shot that covers the length of a football pitch (?) with dozens of extras, fighting, shooting, cars, passage through three houses and over a fence, and a fucking helicopter.  jawdroppingly incredible visuals.  i watched it three times, and could watch it all night spotting new things each time.

this is shaping up to be a very special show indeed, and i can't wait to watch it all over again once its finished.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 04:31:34 am by sideshowme »
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: February 11, 2014, 06:26:22 am »
Spoiler
Anyone know what Ginger gave Rust at the biker club to sniff too make sure his story was not BS? Is there a drug out there which you can tell people are lying?
[close]

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #216 on: February 11, 2014, 10:48:51 am »
i thought the series took a bit of a dip with this episode.  the first major lull. it didn't grab me (despite some good moments) and the massive cliche of the "sure i'll help you... if you do this" made it more GTA than it should have been.  it was a misstep, IMO, out of character with the rest of the show.

but then that six minute shot.  one shot, and that's impressive in itself, but it's one shot that covers the length of a football pitch (?) with dozens of extras, fighting, shooting, cars, passage through three houses and over a fence, and a fucking helicopter.  jawdroppingly incredible visuals.  i watched it three times, and could watch it all night spotting new things each time.

this is shaping up to be a very special show indeed, and i can't wait to watch it all over again once its finished.

Plot continued, the 2 lead actors were immense again, final scene was just incredible yet I had this feeling of not having enjoyed it as much as the 3rd.

Need to re-watch it once more.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 10:50:52 am by Yiannis »
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #217 on: February 11, 2014, 01:54:52 pm »
Agree with the sentiment that it wasn't quite as good as the first three episodes. The 6 minute shot was a heck of a technical achievement and brilliant to watch, but the episode as a whole if anything felt a little bit like any other police show.

Still the achievements of the show so far are pretty damn incredible. Has another show generated so much buzz 4 episodes into the first season?

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: February 11, 2014, 02:02:42 pm »
HBO are just the gods of TV, if anyone here lives in NYC there offices are on 6th avenue, just walk in and give everyone a hug and a pat on the back for me.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: February 11, 2014, 02:23:20 pm »
here it is again.  i could seriously just watch it over and over.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/s_HuFuKiq8U" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/s_HuFuKiq8U</a>

Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline red mongoose

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: February 11, 2014, 04:33:08 pm »
Spoiler
Anyone know what Ginger gave Rust at the biker club to sniff too make sure his story was not BS? Is there a drug out there which you can tell people are lying?
[close]

Spoiler
The only thing I have ever heard of is sodium pentathol, but you always see them putting that in someone's vein with a syringe - I was wondering when I watched the episode if maybe some biker Walter Whited some of that somehow to make it snortable? I don't know. It seems like shows like NCIS have had some other truth serums on there in the past few years, but they never really get into what it is as far as I can tell - all those lazy procedurals like that just stamp out episodes like an assembly line anyway lol
[close]

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: February 11, 2014, 04:44:17 pm »
here it is again.  i could seriously just watch it over and over.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/s_HuFuKiq8U" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/s_HuFuKiq8U</a>
Incredible. GTA comparisons are sort of apt although I felt it was more reminiscent of The Last of Us especially the way they move true the houses.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: February 11, 2014, 06:18:43 pm »
Spoiler
The only thing I have ever heard of is sodium pentathol, but you always see them putting that in someone's vein with a syringe - I was wondering when I watched the episode if maybe some biker Walter Whited some of that somehow to make it snortable? I don't know. It seems like shows like NCIS have had some other truth serums on there in the past few years, but they never really get into what it is as far as I can tell - all those lazy procedurals like that just stamp out episodes like an assembly line anyway lol
[close]

Spoiler
I can't see it being anything like that to be honest, it didn't stop him lying after all. My guess would be some other drug that would get him high enough to let something slip, and the secrecy was to make it harder for him to prepare for the experience.

I know fuck all about drug use though so I could be way off.
[close]

Offline Dan Dando

• Anny Roader
« Reply #223 on: February 11, 2014, 06:25:42 pm »
I'm really intrigued by Rust's tiny mirror which popped up again in the newest episode (Marty looking into it made me laugh out loud) - what's the idea behind that? Another one of Rust's peculiar meditations? I suppose it inhibits your vanity a little in the sense that you can only see your eye and you can't focus on physical appearance (what's the phrase again... eyes being the window to the soul)

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #224 on: February 11, 2014, 06:35:11 pm »
We haven't seen it from the proper perspective yet, have we? I'm guessing its a bit weirder than we think it is.

Offline Dan Dando

• Anny Roader
« Reply #225 on: February 11, 2014, 07:10:05 pm »
We haven't seen it from the proper perspective yet, have we? I'm guessing its a bit weirder than we think it is.
There was this little glimpse of it in episode two...

« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 07:11:51 pm by Dan Dando »

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: February 11, 2014, 08:43:06 pm »
Spoiler
I can't see it being anything like that to be honest, it didn't stop him lying after all. My guess would be some other drug that would get him high enough to let something slip, and the secrecy was to make it harder for him to prepare for the experience.

I know fuck all about drug use though so I could be way off.
[close]
I think you're right. Just checking to see whether he is still part of the drug 'outlaw' life. Might be Angel Dust or some shit.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 09:12:46 pm by Twelfth Man »

Offline Agger

• Do Do Do.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: February 11, 2014, 09:10:41 pm »
Spoiler
Some of the punches in the 6 minute scene looked a bit fake, though. And Ginger was almost knocked out completely by a single punch. I know they had taken an immense amount of drugs, but as experienced as he is, I found it a bit weird that he seemed completely lost all of a sudden. Also, did he realize that Rust was taking him away from the police? He didn't seem to eager to get away at times..
[close]
If there was ever a reason for human cloning, Steven Gerrard is it.

Offline tonysleft

• Legacy Fan
  • A manc
« Reply #228 on: February 11, 2014, 09:14:21 pm »
Spoiler
Some of the punches in the 6 minute scene looked a bit fake, though. And Ginger was almost knocked out completely by a single punch. I know they had taken an immense amount of drugs, but as experienced as he is, I found it a bit weird that he seemed completely lost all of a sudden. Also, did he realize that Rust was taking him away from the police? He didn't seem to eager to get away at times..
[close]
Spoiler
Rust was kicking the shit out of him a couple of times along the way though. The only part of the last scene that seemed a bit off to me was when that gangster swung at Rust GTA style with the baseball bat.. it was a bit of a comical miss, and the only time Rust seemed "ninja cop", when he beat up both of those guys with ease.
[close]
Great chiefs and great loves in obliterated light

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: February 11, 2014, 09:14:58 pm »
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
Punched with a gun. Also the ninja punch to the other biker guy after he takes Ginger out the back, he is left holding his neck. I'm okay with the slight discrepancies given how hard it is to pull something like that off.
[close]
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 09:22:27 pm by Twelfth Man »

Offline Dan Dando

• Anny Roader
« Reply #230 on: February 11, 2014, 09:19:49 pm »
Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
I can forgive the not so convincing punches purely because... achieving that six minute one-shot scene was a really big undertaking, akin to making a live episode in a way as everyone has to be so alert and so prepared. Like, for instance, think about when Cohle and the bikers first enter the house where they plan to pull off their little heist of sorts - Woody Harrelson is literally sat in the car a couple of blocks away waiting for his cue to drive into the frame. Also, those two guys who Cohle knocks out, (I think his punch to the back of the fellow wielding the baseball bat was the most the most un-convincing) I imagine they've been stationed there for a good few minutes waiting for McConaughey to walk out that door. It must have been so exciting to film, bit like a play really.

Sorry, I'm rambling.

Basically, I think I'm just trying to say that... you can forgive the fake punches and whatnot in light of the sheer amount of effort and resources that went into filming that scene. Plus... they filmed it seven times I believe, so I imagine they decided the take they went with was the best in spite of the minor niggles.
[close]
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 09:24:33 pm by Dan Dando »

Offline JamesG L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: February 11, 2014, 11:40:11 pm »
Awesome.

Watched it twice to take in the technical brilliance of the final scene.

Perfectly crafted, the dual time narrative never gives you a moment as you try and unravel the strands of the plot as the detectives do the same to the case. So immersive, like being submerged in the swamplands for an hour.

Mondays have a gem again.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 11:51:20 pm by Voltaire »
---It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money, a choice, right now, between fear and love-- william melvin hicks

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #232 on: February 11, 2014, 11:49:08 pm »
Fucking amazing.
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #233 on: February 12, 2014, 12:14:02 am »
Indeed it was fucking amazing.

Didnt have any problems with the last scene, thought it was brilliant and it deserves immense credit rather than analysis for mistakes. Such a hard shot to do id imagine.

Best episode yet.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline Something Awful

• is stinking out the feedback forum. Wants a blow job from a velociraptor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #234 on: February 12, 2014, 12:28:06 am »
Spoiler
[close]

My first thought was that it was coke or something similar to make sure he wasn't a rat. At the end he kept screaming he knew he was a rat. But then he did mention cutting it with something else...
'Despite their  cup pedigree - since they've returned to the top flight in 1962 - Everton have, after today's results, once again gone further in the FA Cup than their much vaunted neighbours. For the record it's Everton 23 Liverpool 22  and 7 ties in 52 seasons'

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: February 12, 2014, 12:36:08 am »
Spoiler
I can forgive the not so convincing punches purely because... achieving that six minute one-shot scene was a really big undertaking, akin to making a live episode in a way as everyone has to be so alert and so prepared. Like, for instance, think about when Cohle and the bikers first enter the house where they plan to pull off their little heist of sorts - Woody Harrelson is literally sat in the car a couple of blocks away waiting for his cue to drive into the frame. Also, those two guys who Cohle knocks out, (I think his punch to the back of the fellow wielding the baseball bat was the most the most un-convincing) I imagine they've been stationed there for a good few minutes waiting for McConaughey to walk out that door. It must have been so exciting to film, bit like a play really.

Sorry, I'm rambling.

Basically, I think I'm just trying to say that... you can forgive the fake punches and whatnot in light of the sheer amount of effort and resources that went into filming that scene. Plus... they filmed it seven times I believe, so I imagine they decided the take they went with was the best in spite of the minor niggles.
[close]

there's all that, but there's also the 'boring' technical stuff that is just as impressive.  it must have been like a dance routine with cohle and the cameraman darting round the stash house.  just brilliant.  i hope we one day get to see a making of, where the filming of the whole scene (or one of the takes) is shown in all its technical glory.  and yes, the punches might have been a bit off, but that's eminently forgiveable under the circumstances.  the effort and manpower required to reset the whole shot from scratch for the sake of one punch is mind-boggling.

Offline Something Awful

• is stinking out the feedback forum. Wants a blow job from a velociraptor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #236 on: February 12, 2014, 12:47:23 am »
Reshooting for one punch would be draft but they do mention having scene breaks.
'Despite their  cup pedigree - since they've returned to the top flight in 1962 - Everton have, after today's results, once again gone further in the FA Cup than their much vaunted neighbours. For the record it's Everton 23 Liverpool 22  and 7 ties in 52 seasons'

Offline Vork+The Knights of Good

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Macklin, you son of a bitch.
« Reply #237 on: February 12, 2014, 02:59:53 am »

I'm torn. It was thoroughly entertaining and the last shot was boss, but I found the storyline really far fetched.

Spoiler
You'd think they were trying to lure Keyser fucking Soze out of hiding rather than some hick cook. It felt like Jack Bauer trying to stop a terrorist attack. I find it hard to believe there weren't any other options to locate LeDoux. Maybe not, though.
[close]

I did find it pretty riveting, though.
Justice For The 96

Offline Dan Dando

• Anny Roader
« Reply #238 on: February 12, 2014, 03:51:46 am »
http://www.deadline.com/2014/01/true-detective-creator-nic-pizzolatto-signs-new-overall-deal-with-hbo-paving-way-for-season-2-of-breakout-drama/

Stumbled upon this article from late last month and found this interesting.

“If we got to do it again, the setting would be a major character, along with our leads,” with the show set in a place  “you wouldn’t normally set a television show,” Pizzolatto said at TCA earlier this month. “I tried to make the format as broad for my tastes as possible in the sense that this is almost the True Detective version of a buddy‑cop movie hunting for a serial killer. And there could be a season that’s much more of a widespread conspiracy thriller, a season that’s a small‑town murder mystery, a season where nobody is murdered and it’s a master criminal versus a rogue detective or something. Even the title, True Detective, is meant to be, of course, purposefully somewhat generic – the word “true” can also mean honorable and authentic and things like that. So as long as there is some crime in there, I think the series format can approach it.”

Should be interesting to see what season two looks like (although I'm getting ahead of myself)

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #239 on: February 12, 2014, 08:56:34 am »
Best episode so far ...the climax was an absolute tour de force of TV......marvelous adult drama, cant wait for next weeks
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.