Author Topic: The Alternative Premier League Table 2023-24  (Read 81241 times)

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
Re: The Alternative Premier League Table 2023-24
« Reply #320 on: December 28, 2023, 09:54:38 pm »
That's a bit harsh. We had two 90 plus point seasons where we lost the title on the last day of the season by 1 point.
That's the season we showed consistency. When we won the title, we could have played the kids after the COVID break, we were so far ahead.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #321 on: December 28, 2023, 10:23:39 pm »
That's the season we showed consistency. When we won the title, we could have played the kids after the COVID break, we were so far ahead.

I think you will find that is three seasons. It's not our fault we share a league with some financially juiced freaks.

You don't get over 90 points in a season without being relentless. You don't take a title race to within a hair on the last day without being consistent. Just because we missed out doesn't change that.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Prof

• fessor Yaffle. Full tosser.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
    • The Alternative Premier League Table
« Reply #322 on: December 28, 2023, 10:25:59 pm »

« Last Edit: December 28, 2023, 10:38:47 pm by Prof »

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #323 on: December 28, 2023, 10:31:07 pm »
Stop posting filth on the internet, there might be children reading this.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Studgotelli

• they have zero understanding of what I’m actually talking about. Got a GCSE in Economics and thinks he knows everything.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #324 on: December 28, 2023, 10:34:04 pm »
90 pts wins is the league means we can only afford to drop 9 pts or 3 losses equivalent

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #325 on: December 28, 2023, 10:38:24 pm »
This 1st half of the season in the Premier League has been incredible.  I know you hear it a lot that anyone can beat anyone on their day, but that epitomises this season, just incredible how many massive upsets we've seen.

And amongst all that variance, there we are sitting right at the top of the tree after the Xmas period, a full 4 pts ahead of the next best team and 6 ahead of City.

Maybe a star (team) has been born?  ;D

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #326 on: December 28, 2023, 10:47:11 pm »
90 pts wins is the league means we can only afford to drop 9 pts or 3 losses equivalent

Its looking like we wont need 90 points.

Offline Redbonnie

• Kopite
« Reply #327 on: December 28, 2023, 10:54:13 pm »
I think you will find that is three seasons. It's not our fault we share a league with some financially juiced freaks.

You don't get over 90 points in a season without being relentless. You don't take a title race to within a hair on the last day without being consistent. Just because we missed out doesn't change that.

Absolutely this

Offline Studgotelli

• they have zero understanding of what I’m actually talking about. Got a GCSE in Economics and thinks he knows everything.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #328 on: December 28, 2023, 10:54:54 pm »

To be safe I think we do

Offline KurtVerbose

• Legacy Fan
  • Burp! ...excuse me.
« Reply #329 on: December 28, 2023, 11:01:23 pm »

Yeah, don't think the winner will need 90.

City have dropped points in 4 of their past 5 games. That's a bit of a crisis by their standards.
You try me once you beg for more.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #330 on: December 28, 2023, 11:07:06 pm »
To be safe I think we do

Yeah if we get 90 then we will have 100% won the league. Its going to be some ask to do that, we still have to go to Arsenal, Man United, Everton, West Ham, Villa.

Offline Caps4444

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #331 on: December 28, 2023, 11:17:32 pm »
I think if we only dropped 10 (2 defeats and 2 draws), that should be enough to win the league.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #332 on: December 28, 2023, 11:54:34 pm »
Yeah if we get 90 then we will have 100% won the league. Its going to be some ask to do that, we still have to go to Arsenal, Man United, Everton, West Ham, Villa.
I'm not convinced at all. City will start racking up the points and, if they play like in past seasons, they can end up above 90. They can easily win 4 of their 7 par 1 games, and if they drop points in the par 3s, they'd have extra par 1s to compensate. This would take them to 91 pts. And they are capable of more, in principle. But perhaps not this season...
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Studgotelli

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #333 on: December 29, 2023, 12:42:47 am »
I'm not convinced at all. City will start racking up the points and, if they play like in past seasons, they can end up above 90. They can easily win 4 of their 7 par 1 games, and if they drop points in the par 3s, they'd have extra par 1s to compensate. This would take them to 91 pts. And they are capable of more, in principle. But perhaps not this season...

They’d need to only drop 7 pts from here to get to 90 pts hopefully we beat them at Anfield and a Newcastle can do them over in a few weeks, I think it’s a tall order for them over 20 games to not drop 7 pts. We should be looking to grab this opportunity with both hands. It’s a rare opportunity to have more margin for error in a title winning season and we can have no complaints if we don’t do it.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2023, 12:45:19 am by Studgotelli »

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #334 on: December 29, 2023, 12:49:46 am »
I'm not convinced at all. City will start racking up the points and, if they play like in past seasons, they can end up above 90.

I thought it was worth putting some W-D-L to what this would take:

90 points = City would need to go 17-2-1, we would need to go 15-3-1 and Arsenal would need to go 16-2-1.
85 points = City going 15-3-2, we would need to 13-4-2 and Arsenal would need to go 14-3-2

I’ve long been of the opinion that the Champions finish on less than 90 points this season and instead  it would be somewhere between 85 and 90 hence me mentioning the sequences for 85 points. 90 points would take a team having a hell of a 2nd half of the season looking at the amount of wins needed but 85 looks achievable for all and I can see at least 2 teams hitting around that level.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a Ł25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #335 on: December 29, 2023, 12:53:31 am »
That half-way point APLT is a glorious sight. Sadly it'll all be for nothing; we'll never keep it up. Only way is down
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #336 on: December 29, 2023, 05:15:47 am »
City have pipped us by 1 pt on 2 occasions in the last 5 years, no one should be getting ahead of themselves or making claims about what City can or cannot do.

What they cannot do is finish on more than 97 pts, we know that much at least.

If we assume in a worst case scenario they win their game in hand, their best run in the 2nd half of any season was 2.84 pts per game.  In other words, they won 18 of 19 games that season and we lost the title by 1 pt :-X.  They had accumulated 42 pts at the half way stage, so if they win that game in hand they would be 2 pts shy of that total.

So in the very worst case scenario City win their game in hand and perform a similar feat of 2.84 pts per game, we would need 95 pts or 94 pts and a superior goal difference.

However badly you think City have been playing this season, they are potentially 2 pts short of a pts total that was then followed by reeling off 18 of 19 wins.  Let that sink in. :o

So no, we can't read anything into how City have performed so far this season.  If anything they generally start seasons slowly and seem to get a sick pleasure out of chasing teams down.  They're clearly a team that is so bored with how easy the league has become that they need a task in front of them before they find their focus.  They're like a cat toying with a mouse, makes me sick. >:(
« Last Edit: December 29, 2023, 05:37:56 am by latortuga »

Offline KurtVerbose

• Legacy Fan
  • Burp! ...excuse me.
« Reply #337 on: December 29, 2023, 08:29:09 am »
That half-way point APLT is a glorious sight. Sadly it'll all be for nothing; we'll never keep it up. Only way is down

I think it's the other way round. We'll be better in the second half. Big question is will City and the Ar$e be better still? Also, how will we get on without Mo during Afcon?

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #338 on: December 29, 2023, 08:36:39 am »

They of course can do that but if we get 90 points and still dont win this season’s league then it will be even more unlucky/cheated out of it by roided c*nts than even 18/19 and 21/22.

Offline RJH

• doesn't know his alphabet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #339 on: December 29, 2023, 09:26:01 am »
For the moment. But with City having two more 1 par games, it means that they have more opportunities to make ground. If we match their results, we'd win it. But they can be relentless, and we've shown that quality only one season.

But those par 1 games are par 1 because they are the most difficult games. They give more opportunity to gain ground, but they are also where points are more likely to be dropped.

One of those extra par 1s is because City have to go Anfield whereas Liverpool are playing at home.
Do you really think it would be more of an advantage to LFC for the fixture to be reversed and have to go to the Etihad?

Offline Studgotelli

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #340 on: December 29, 2023, 12:15:09 pm »
They of course can do that but if we get 90 points and still dont win this season’s league then it will be even more unlucky/cheated out of it by roided c*nts than even 18/19 and 21/22.

Why?

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #341 on: December 29, 2023, 07:05:07 pm »
Why?

Because we are down on points compared to all three of our 90 point plus seasons. If we from this position go and get 90 points or more then we will have had to have gone on a run that matches or is not very far off all those seasons and considering that we all accept this team isnt as good yet, that would be some ask.

Offline JP-65

• FA/UEFA/FIFA are not fit for purpose
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #342 on: December 29, 2023, 07:57:38 pm »
Because we are down on points compared to all three of our 90 point plus seasons. If we from this position go and get 90 points or more then we will have had to have gone on a run that matches or is not very far off all those seasons and considering that we all accept this team isnt as good yet, that would be some ask.

KH, not true, in 21/22 we had 41 points after 19 and put up 51 over the back 19.

I agree that it would be some ask for this team right now to do the same, although a judicious signing in the winter window could do the trick

Offline Caps4444

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #343 on: December 29, 2023, 09:17:27 pm »

KH, not true, in 21/22 we had 41 points after 19 and put up 51 over the back 19.

I agree that it would be some ask for this team right now to do the same, although a judicious signing in the winter window could do the trick

That was an incredible run, 16 wins and 3 draws.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #344 on: December 29, 2023, 09:22:35 pm »

Ah fair enough. Has to be remembered the run we went on during that second half. After we drew to Chelsea I am pretty sure we went from Jan to the City game and had won 10 in a row in the league before we drew at their place. After that we dropped points to Spurs but that meant after the Chelsea draw on 2nd Jan we drew 2 games, lost 0 and won the rest (edit checked and we won 16 out of 18).

Even that run alone got us to 92 points. That’s why I mean that if we get 90 points from here then our run would have had to be something insane and I genuinely believe if we are close to that run then the league is ours.

Offline JP-65

• FA/UEFA/FIFA are not fit for purpose
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #345 on: December 29, 2023, 09:24:30 pm »
That was an incredible run, 16 wins and 3 draws.

It was, but not as good as the 38 match run we had from 2019 into 2020/21....36 wins & 2 draws until we lost to Watford

Offline ABJ

• Legacy Fan
  • Internet terrorist
« Reply #346 on: December 29, 2023, 10:46:53 pm »
It was, but not as good as the 38 match run we had from 2019 into 2020/21....36 wins & 2 draws until we lost to Watford
Included a run of 35 wins and 1 draw in 36 matches, hard to see how that will ever even be equalled let alone beaten.
Quote from: Harvest Fields
i watched the chelsea game at my sisters. her 12 year old son is severly autistic and i forgot myself and jumped up screaming at the goal and he went nuts. screaming and shouting. scared the fuck out of me. apologised to my sister as i thought id upset him, turns out he was joining in.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #347 on: December 30, 2023, 03:31:54 am »
Ah fair enough. Has to be remembered the run we went on during that second half. After we drew to Chelsea I am pretty sure we went from Jan to the City game and had won 10 in a row in the league before we drew at their place. After that we dropped points to Spurs but that meant after the Chelsea draw on 2nd Jan we drew 2 games, lost 0 and won the rest (edit checked and we won 16 out of 18).

Even that run alone got us to 92 points. That’s why I mean that if we get 90 points from here then our run would have had to be something insane and I genuinely believe if we are close to that run then the league is ours.

Nah. We’re -1 on this. That means we’re going to be very close to 90 if we play to par from now on, which isn’t ‘an incredible run of results’ in particular. At least no more so than 90 point form is all the time. The reality is, 90 points requires winning an insane number of games.

Offline emitime

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #348 on: December 30, 2023, 09:28:02 am »

We could have forfeited every single game and still won the title by a point.

Offline courty61

• Legacy Fan
  • Never Buy The S*n
« Reply #349 on: December 31, 2023, 07:08:49 pm »
Arsenal -6 and have 9 par 3s in a row now.
77, 78, 81, 84, 05, 19

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #350 on: December 31, 2023, 07:52:19 pm »
Think we just have to accept that there will be dropped points during the season. What we have to avoid is runs of dropped points like we did against Utd and Arsenal. If this season turns out to be more human (i.e. everyone dropps points here and there) we have a great chance.

Hopefully having a smaller gap will help us compared to 18/19 where we had a big lead and it eroded away as we felt the pressure. We've never been leading a tight race since (having played the same no of games etc)

Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Prof

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #351 on: January 1, 2024, 11:01:33 pm »

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #352 on: January 2, 2024, 04:17:46 am »
You could probably make a case that this season's form is a more accurate reflection of what each teams expected finishing position will be.

Naturally things can change as the season progresses, however if you applied the APLT rules to this season's table at the half way mark, the differential would be just 2 pts separating us from Man City - so the same as the table after 19 games. :-X 

Offline KurtVerbose

• Legacy Fan
  • Burp! ...excuse me.
« Reply #353 on: January 2, 2024, 06:29:10 am »
Thanks Prof.

Offline RooiBefok

• (Crank) Minority Martyr, and Defender & Lover of The 5th Benitle. His most ardent fan. Adores him. No really, I think he's great. The best.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Perservate et Superate
« Reply #354 on: January 2, 2024, 01:25:46 pm »
APLT vs PLT : Klopp's Tenure
“The 5th Benitle fell in love with himself eighteen years ago and has remained faithful ever since”

Offline RooiBefok

• (Crank) Minority Martyr, and Defender & Lover of The 5th Benitle. His most ardent fan. Adores him. No really, I think he's great. The best.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Perservate et Superate
« Reply #355 on: January 2, 2024, 01:26:37 pm »
Home / Away : Klopp's Tenure
“The 5th Benitle fell in love with himself eighteen years ago and has remained faithful ever since”

Offline KissThisGuy

• OnlyThroughAFaceMaskThough
  • Legacy Fan
  • It was raining, I went outside, I got wet.
« Reply #356 on: January 2, 2024, 01:56:52 pm »
APLT vs PLT : Klopp's Tenure
Have we never finished in the 80s under Klopp?

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #357 on: January 2, 2024, 02:51:47 pm »
Nope, he joined us in 2015.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Prof

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #358 on: January 2, 2024, 05:14:04 pm »
Home / Away : Klopp's Tenure
Great visual this one. Thanks for sharing

Offline Prof

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #359 on: January 2, 2024, 05:15:49 pm »
Such an interesting stat.  It shows a bit about the intensity required I think.  When we have a chance we have a honey level of intensity more frequently.  Definitely relates to the importance of the fans at anfield too.  That season behind closed doors was a total outlier for home record