Author Topic: Mafia III  (Read 8812 times)

Offline Ron

• Legacy Fan
Re: Mafia III
« Reply #40 on: October 9, 2016, 10:21:03 pm »
For me, there just doesn't seem to be any vibrancy in the colour pallette. Even very early in the game during Mardi Gra, the glow of red and green ect just seems incredibly washed out and flat.
Yeah, you are right about that.
This game should have been tweaked a lot better.
In the newer GTA games you would not often see 2 cars that are exactly the same standing in line.
Or 2 pedestrians who look exactly the same.
These are small things that can easily be avoided, but I guess they just didn't care about it.
And like you say, a better colour pallette could have made this game look so much better.
I guess an alternative ENB will come around but it's a poor show by the game developers.

edit, ENB's already here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfQUsi7z8mk

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2016, 08:31:30 am »
Played it for a day on PC.
Did not see any bugs and the framerate is not annoying at all.
But I agree the graphics are not great.
All games that I have seen since The Witcher 3 have suffered from "not being Witcher 3", though.
It is a nice game, but I fear it is going to be a bit repetitive.

It looks absolutely horribly optimized with the 30fps lock off from what I've seen.   I've seen a video with a nvidia titan coupled with a 4690@4.4ghz dropping to 25fps...at 1080p! Same shit from users with 1070s and 980ti's.  It's nice to see 2K continuing the long tradition of developers taking a big steaming dump on the pc gaming community.  Why they think that this crap is acceptable is beyond me.

I completely agree about The Witcher 3 though. I'm finding it very difficult to get into anything else since playing that or to get excited about any upcoming titles.  Bastard CDPR!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 08:34:24 am by Darren G »

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2016, 09:15:02 am »
Why they think that this crap is acceptable is beyond me.

Because PC isn't that important a market for them. They'll try and sell some copies with a cheap and half-arsed port, but other than that I would imagine they don't care about PC, which makes it even worse in my view. Either take some effort in terms of optimisation and PC-specific options or don't bother and just keep in on consoles.

As far as The Witcher 3 is concerned, I haven't been spoilt all that much by it. There is no doubt that in terms of story-telling and questing it was a great game. Other than that, I think there's too much hype surrounding it and it's far from a perfect game in my view...

Offline Ron

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2016, 10:01:28 am »

It looks absolutely horribly optimized with the 30fps lock off from what I've seen.   I've seen a video with a nvidia titan coupled with a 4690@4.4ghz dropping to 25fps...at 1080p! Same shit from users with 1070s and 980ti's.
I've seen those video's too.
And I don't understand it at all !
My game is running smooth as can be, all setting on max, except motion blur because I hate that.
On a single GTX 980 ti and an Intel i7  4790k @ 4 GHz with 16 Gb ram.

Offline Kronus

• Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2016, 02:40:58 pm »
Playing this on Xbone and really enjoying it although it has crashed on me about 4 times, usually when loading into a cut scene.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Ron

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2016, 07:27:45 pm »
Yes, it's a very enjoyable game.
It's great to drive to all these open world locations, stabbing everyone to death and listening to Born on the Bayou on your way to the next carnage.
Great story, well, for a computergame anyway, great soundtrack, for old people like me anyway ...
It's a shame they presented the game so primitively because it is well worth a play.
I am having fun.
Yee !

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2016, 01:43:41 am »
Because PC isn't that important a market for them. They'll try and sell some copies with a cheap and half-arsed port, but other than that I would imagine they don't care about PC, which makes it even worse in my view. Either take some effort in terms of optimisation and PC-specific options or don't bother and just keep in on consoles.

As far as The Witcher 3 is concerned, I haven't been spoilt all that much by it. There is no doubt that in terms of story-telling and questing it was a great game. Other than that, I think there's too much hype surrounding it and it's far from a perfect game in my view...

Yeah, I understand the thinking behind it, just not why some gaming companies think that it's an acceptable business practice to release what are essentially broken products because the pc ' isn't an important market' and then get suprised when there's a backlash.  Rockstar got publicly crucified over GTAIV's optimization, which is why they worked so long on V's.  You'd think as Rockstar's parent company that 2K would have taken the hint.

As for Witcher 3, we'll have to agree to disagree on it being over-hyped as it's probably (in my opinion) the best game that I've ever played.  Not perfect, but then I've never seen any game that is.   
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 02:01:16 am by Darren G »

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2016, 01:50:29 am »
I've seen those video's too.
And I don't understand it at all !
My game is running smooth as can be, all setting on max, except motion blur because I hate that.
On a single GTX 980 ti and an Intel i7  4790k @ 4 GHz with 16 Gb ram.

I haven't seen any numbers in terms of cpu/gpu/vram useage, but one possible scenario  is that perhaps the game is MASSIVELY cpu intensive/dependent and needs a fairly high-end i7 to run properly.  If that's the case, it's still fucking ridiculous when you compare it to something like GTA5 which will run at 60fps on a mid-range i5 and still look way better than mafia 3. 

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2016, 10:03:45 am »
PC usually isn't a big market because developers know that give it a month or two after release, the mod community will get the game looking and playing better than that on consoles, they save time and money by not focusing on the pc versions because the fans will finish the game off for them.

Offline Ron

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2016, 10:36:44 am »
I haven't seen any numbers in terms of cpu/gpu/vram useage, but one possible scenario  is that perhaps the game is MASSIVELY cpu intensive/dependent and needs a fairly high-end i7 to run properly.  If that's the case, it's still fucking ridiculous when you compare it to something like GTA5 which will run at 60fps on a mid-range i5 and still look way better than mafia 3. 
I can always hear my CPU cooler when it's working heavy, like in converting movies.
I don't hear anything playing this.
In fact my GPU is also cooling very stealthily.
Not much work to be done for the PC playing this ...

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2016, 02:34:52 pm »
PC usually isn't a big market because developers know that give it a month or two after release, the mod community will get the game looking and playing better than that on consoles, they save time and money by not focusing on the pc versions because the fans will finish the game off for them.

Yeah, I know that you can make a game look prettier with mods and add features, depending on how the devs cook the files (I had around 100 mods on Skyrim) but you can't mod out the issues with a horribly optimized engine. Assissin's Creed Unity being a prime example.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2016, 02:35:59 pm »
I can always hear my CPU cooler when it's working heavy, like in converting movies.
I don't hear anything playing this.
In fact my GPU is also cooling very stealthily.
Not much work to be done for the PC playing this ...

« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 02:45:46 pm by Darren G »

Offline Ron

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2016, 05:36:48 pm »

Shocking.
When I played Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 it sounded like I had a chopper in my room.
Not with this game though.

Offline stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2016, 10:28:05 pm »
Have played this for an hour now and I like what I'm seeing so far. Had one crash and can see why this game might not be everyone's cup of tea. Cut scenes, characters and storytelling are pretty good so far. Some of the gameplay not so much. Same goes for the graphics: the in-game stuff can look beautiful with nice lighting effects, but then half a minute later it can all look like arse again. Add to that that the game seems to be running like arse. Still, it looks like it was a good buy and I'll enjoy it...

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2016, 01:05:17 pm »
Shocking.
When I played Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 it sounded like I had a chopper in my room.
Not with this game though.
Maybe Chopper was in your room.  Just watching you.  Silently.

Offline Ron

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2016, 08:56:29 am »
Maybe Chopper was in your room.  Just watching you.  Silently.
Haha !
Did the silly Dutchman say something wrong ?
I meant a helicopter, I thought they were also called choppers ...
Wiki tells me
English language nicknames for helicopter include "chopper", "copter", "helo", "heli", and "whirlybird".
In future I will use the helicopter ...
 :)

Offline stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2016, 09:02:46 am »
Have to say, the music in this is great. Not only the selection, but also the way they're using it in the game. Have just finished what seems to be the "prologue" or whatever. Game seems to be opening up and I still like it. Only issues are minor ones like the car physics, i.e. you almost dying simply because you've scraped some fence or the car going absolutely bonkers because you drove over a small bump...

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2016, 11:10:37 am »
Aye the car handling seems incredibly temperamental. One minute you'll pull off a perfect drift, next the car is skidding out of control on a straight road.

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2016, 12:11:45 pm »
Haha !
Did the silly Dutchman say something wrong ?
I meant a helicopter, I thought they were also called choppers ...
Wiki tells me In future I will use the helicopter ...
 :)
Ha ha no mate - I was only being a knob.  Chopper means helicopter here too, but is also the name of an esteemed RAWK poster.

Offline stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2016, 12:39:54 pm »
Aye the car handling seems incredibly temperamental. One minute you'll pull off a perfect drift, next the car is skidding out of control on a straight road.

Yeah. The weirdest thing I have experienced is when I bumped into another car and my car just jumped straight into the air and ended up in the garden of a big house....

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #60 on: January 3, 2017, 09:50:07 pm »
Got this for Christmas and have been playing it a lot the last few days, really enjoying it. Loads to do.

Great story as well.

I had a Morris Marina coupe that was like that
Legacy fan

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2017, 03:57:29 pm »
Finished the story side of it, still have a few missions and races to complete.

Really enjoyed it, even more than GTA because I thought the story was better.

Not enjoyed a game so much since RDR.
Legacy fan

Offline Scaryscouse

• Purveyor of shite english lager
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nice packet of Crunchy Nut you got here
« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2017, 09:57:27 pm »
I'd heard so much bad stuff about this one but think I might take the plunge.
I remember years ago doing the fart with your fingers pointed like a gun.

I did it to my brother, I had a dressing gown on.

Instead of farting I shat on the floor - my brother thought I was demented.

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2017, 03:53:17 pm »
I'd heard so much bad stuff about this one but think I might take the plunge.

Definitely worth it.

No fast travel and it's a big map but it's good to just motor round

EDIT: Don't buy the season pass though, there's nothing on it at the moment. And don't buy the family kickback pack (which is good) and then discover that there is a free voucher for it in the box  :-[
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 02:58:14 pm by Danny Boys Dad »
Legacy fan

Offline Scaryscouse

• Purveyor of shite english lager
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nice packet of Crunchy Nut you got here
« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2017, 02:56:15 am »
Cheers for the heads up Danny Boys Dad, yeah fuck it. Going to pick it up this weekend and have a crack.
I remember years ago doing the fart with your fingers pointed like a gun.

I did it to my brother, I had a dressing gown on.

Instead of farting I shat on the floor - my brother thought I was demented.

Offline Greatness

• Spineless and gutless
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2017, 08:46:38 am »
So bloody repetitive every mission felt like your taking over territory thats usually side missions stuff in these open world games, not the actual main campaign. Massive disappointment absolute  struggle to get through this just gave up

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2017, 04:57:26 pm »
So bloody repetitive every mission felt like your taking over territory thats usually side missions stuff in these open world games, not the actual main campaign. Massive disappointment absolute  struggle to get through this just gave up

Considering that the whole premise of the game was that you were taking over from the Mafia I don't think that that should have come as a surprise?

Lots of side missions pinching lorries and boats and stuff though, plus races, just need to mix it up a bit. If you do too much of one thing it would get a bit samey.

Each to their own though I suppose
Legacy fan

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2017, 06:40:43 pm »
Having to go and takeover the exact same warehouse you have only just cleared after driving across the map to tell someone gets a bit dull to be fair. I loved it for the first few hours but it does get very samey. Hopefully it has less bugs now and they have sorted the driving out where it suddenly goes out of control for no reason whatsoever. The soundtrack is probably my favourite of all time though.

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2017, 09:16:13 am »

I found it very samey. Traded in after a weekends play. I was hoping for a GTA level game when it came out but it's a long way short.

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2017, 01:39:35 pm »
Two of the three extra stories are now available for this. They are good but a bit short, finished in a couple of hours.
Legacy fan

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2018, 07:32:32 pm »
Bit late I know

Picked this up yesterday with PS Plus and I'm surprisingly enjoying this.

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2018, 04:46:41 am »
I picked this up the other day and played for a couple of hours over the weekend.

Finding it a bit slow to be honest Too many cut scenes and not enough action.

Perhaps it'll pickup!
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.