Author Topic: Sky+ HD / Sky Q Thread  (Read 167759 times)

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Sky+ HD / Sky Q Thread
« Reply #320 on: October 21, 2016, 10:18:02 am »
It's hit and miss with Sky. I've had them bend over backwards to keep my custom and also had them not even attempt. Haven't been a TV customer since last year but have gone for the Sky Q complete bundle for £30 a month, gets installed next week.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #321 on: October 22, 2016, 12:13:06 pm »
Graeme, you getting broadband as part of the package?

I ordered that £30 Sky Q thing and they're putting it in tomorrow, but when I did the order I added the broadband and the system dumped it out of basket as I got to the checkout, they've told me I need to order it once the TV is installed. They can do Sky Fibre Max for £32.50 a month, but I'm now wondering if I'd be better keeping my broadband with Virgin, they're doing a no traffic management one on their top speed for £50 a month. I've been on BT Infinity before in London and they didn't restrict speeds but I dunno if sky do.

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #322 on: October 22, 2016, 12:45:10 pm »
Nah I've gone TV only as I'm still in contract with BT Infinity. Even if I wasn't I'd probably stick with them as I can use my own router on its own which I couldn't on Sky previously.

Offline paul211b

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #323 on: October 24, 2016, 08:04:29 am »
Had my Sky Q installed over the weekend.  Have to say I am quite impressed with it.
Love the new menu system and its pretty fast.
If you are going for multiroom try and blag a booster as I think these are extra if you request after an install.

All the engineer needed to do was change the LNB.  The multiscreen box is wireless the main box creates its own wifi which this connect to.

The app for your phone is also pretty good, can download programs to it and if you are in the house can watch everything like you can with the normal box.

All for £40 less than I was paying before, very pleased.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #324 on: October 24, 2016, 10:19:16 pm »
Getting it next week on that MSE offer £42 a month but keeping the virgin broadband and phone ..ended up with a £21 a month rolling contract with virgin so £63 all in .

Offline paul211b

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #325 on: October 25, 2016, 09:42:03 am »
Getting it next week on that MSE offer £42 a month but keeping the virgin broadband and phone ..ended up with a £21 a month rolling contract with virgin so £63 all in .

One that price I assume you getting multiscreen?  See if you can get a booster.   Some people are saying if the multiroom box is off as these are linked its tough to get a signal when watching upstairs on a phone or tablet.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #326 on: October 25, 2016, 07:27:50 pm »
One that price I assume you getting multiscreen?  See if you can get a booster.   Some people are saying if the multiroom box is off as these are linked its tough to get a signal when watching upstairs on a phone or tablet.

Will have a look at that cheers , I have hard wired cat 5 cables to each tv outlet from my router ..not sure if this will help , seems a good deal for 12 months especially sport ann movies all in hd and sport in uhd .
It's a complete renovation ive done and the reason sky q appeals is the small extra box a can sit behind the tv in the kitchen area without an additional box on show

Offline paul211b

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #327 on: October 26, 2016, 07:57:07 am »
Will have a look at that cheers , I have hard wired cat 5 cables to each tv outlet from my router ..not sure if this will help , seems a good deal for 12 months especially sport ann movies all in hd and sport in uhd .
It's a complete renovation ive done and the reason sky q appeals is the small extra box a can sit behind the tv in the kitchen area without an additional box on show

Wil help being fixed to the main box. The other boxes only have wifi. 
If you get the 2tb box and multiscreen you get the multiscreen box free.  If you then wanted another box is £99 per box.

Offline lfc786

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #328 on: October 26, 2016, 01:55:20 pm »
Looking to get the new sky box but not willing to pay the full price for the whole package.

Currently have the old box with all channels no HD package no box sets but extra sky go for £38ppm.

Contract is ending soon so any ideas how to get some money off sky  8)

Offline Roy Cropper

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #329 on: October 26, 2016, 04:35:34 pm »
Paying £117 a month for line rental, fibre broadband and the full TV package in HD (not Sky Q). Phoned them the other day to try and get it reduced, they would only go as low as £101 so I just cancelled.

Chances of them coming back with a better offer?

Make sure you cancel.

Every other day log into 'mysk'y and select offers and 50% will most propbably pop up (you can check this on the sky services app too). If not they will be calling you before the 30days is up.

if they dont call you, call them on day 27/28 and ask them for a deal.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #330 on: October 26, 2016, 04:41:18 pm »
They didn't offer me a better deal until a few weeks after my 30 day cancellation was up, by which time I had joined up under my partners name. Even so the deal I was offered was only as good as the new customer deal anyway, and there are some really good ones of those (better than I got at the time) which will probably beat any offer they offer you to stay.

Offline Demo

• Anny Roader
« Reply #331 on: October 26, 2016, 04:58:11 pm »
I currently have SKY HD in my wifes name which shes had no joy in getting the sub down in price,how long would we have to wait after cancelling before i can sign as a new customer using my name?

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #332 on: October 26, 2016, 05:08:32 pm »
I waited a few weeks so it got installed not long after the old one stopped, that way only paying for one subscription.

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #333 on: October 27, 2016, 01:24:11 pm »
Got this installed a couple of weeks ago for £26 a month all in with Fibre Max, so a great deal but not impressed with their Q Box.

At the price I can put up with it but I do miss the added flexibility of TiVo, albeit the Q Box is much faster, it's missing standard features.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline paul211b

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #334 on: October 27, 2016, 02:09:42 pm »
Got this installed a couple of weeks ago for £26 a month all in with Fibre Max, so a great deal but not impressed with their Q Box.

At the price I can put up with it but I do miss the added flexibility of TiVo, albeit the Q Box is much faster, it's missing standard features.

What features are you missing?  I think its excellent.

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #335 on: October 27, 2016, 03:33:41 pm »
Had it installed today, the box is excellent and a big upgrade on the +HD boxes. Only downside I've spotted is that I can't use Sky Q App on the iPad as I don't have multiscreen which I hadn't realised.

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #336 on: October 27, 2016, 07:55:41 pm »
What features are you missing?  I think its excellent.
The main 2 I wish were there are being able to set favourite channels so you're not scanning through dozens of unwanted channels to find recordings you want to set and also being able to fine tune your series links.  While this "one touch" implementation is simple to use, it's meant I'm getting episodes from old series of shows that I don't want and will have to delete manually every time it records one.

The remote's crap too.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #337 on: November 22, 2016, 12:38:24 pm »
Anyone finding the Sky Q box runs very hot and sometimes just fucking dies and you have to do a full power out reset?

It's doing it every few days and getting on my wick, noticed sound is out of sync on downloaded items, too, have to do the same power out and restart. Annoying when watching a movie. I think it's when you fast forward and then play that it does it, but can't be 100% sure, recordings don't have the same problem. I don't know whether to phone them up and say it's a fault cos seen plenty are complaining about heat. We've had it propped up on some lego ;D for a few days and I've just been in the settings and disabled the wifi - read that can help with the heat, it's not burn your hand off hot but it's hotter than I'd expect. Gonna see how it gets on but wondering if anyone else is having issues and if sky have done anything about it.

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #338 on: November 22, 2016, 01:19:44 pm »
Mine is running at the upper end of warm, I wouldn't say it's hot hot though. Not had any drop outs or audio sync issues either but I have seen other groans on Sky forums.

Online PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #339 on: November 22, 2016, 01:55:46 pm »
How are you guys getting SKY Q for like £30 a month for a complete package? I pay almost double that for normal SKY HD with just Sports added extra :/

Offline Roy Cropper

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #340 on: November 22, 2016, 02:17:14 pm »
Sky Q box issues - not had any problems regarding sound. I havent noticed any problems with the heat of the box. I have had the picture go off which requires me to turn it off/on at the plug. I have had the box about 3 weeks and it has happened at least 3 times to me and possibly more to my wife.

If it happens again i will be calling Sky and requesting some sort of credit into my account.

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #341 on: November 22, 2016, 02:17:25 pm »
There was an offer in conjunction with MoneySavingExpert a couple of months back but was limited to 10,000 sign ups I think

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #342 on: November 23, 2016, 10:37:03 am »
After turning the box's wifi off, it does seem cooler.

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #343 on: November 23, 2016, 10:44:29 am »
Yeah it's off on mine. I would be using it but the Sky engineer said the Q box has issues with some brands of router which seemingly includes mine as if I try and use the WiFi the box starts saying it's having 'broadband connectivity problems'. Not a huge deal as the router is about 50cm from the Q box.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #344 on: November 23, 2016, 10:55:12 am »
I feel like a Beta tester with Sky Q.  The main box is fine but the 3 mini boxes we have are so buggy.  The amount of times I have to unplug is crazy.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #345 on: November 23, 2016, 11:13:06 am »
Yeah it's off on mine. I would be using it but the Sky engineer said the Q box has issues with some brands of router which seemingly includes mine as if I try and use the WiFi the box starts saying it's having 'broadband connectivity problems'. Not a huge deal as the router is about 50cm from the Q box.

Ours was doing that connectivity problems thing, does it not like the superhubs?

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #346 on: November 23, 2016, 11:27:35 am »
Guess not. I've got an Asus Modem/Router but the Sky Q box doesn't wanna play over WiFi. Wired is fine though. Are the Superhubs still rebadged Netgear?

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #347 on: November 23, 2016, 11:41:51 am »
The 2 was, the 3 says Arris.

Honestly wish I'd stuck with the 2, it wasn't as much of a pain in the arse. The admin takes forever to do anything.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 11:43:44 am by Claire. »

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #348 on: December 9, 2016, 09:55:13 pm »
Hi, anyone getting schedule problems on their planner? All my future recordings say we are looking for the next episode/series. Only way it seems to work is to delete the series link then record week by week. Have had trouble for years on and off with failures etc but this is a new one. Bloody Sky does my head in. Thanks.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #349 on: December 16, 2016, 09:15:00 am »
Right ...had sky q in a month now main box in the living room and the mini box attached via Velcro behind the tv in the kitchen / dining room . Was great for the first few weeks then the mini starts buffering / freezing then
Blank screen telling me I had connectivity problems . The main box in settings seems to display that the box is connected then it's not even though when it's not I sometimes can still get a clear picture with sound .

Had the sky mini disconnected for a week  while awaiting a sky engineer visit yesterday . tried it the night before amd was still the same ..the engineer calls and it works pretty much ok , he reckons it could be the wifi connection between the router ( virgin ) and the main sky box and said if I hard wire it it could help . I have already run a cat5 cable between these two points so will get them connected and tried that . Anyhow late last night it's started again and this morning worse than ever . Anyone anything similar ? ....when it works it's great but frustrating when not as I bought it on the basis i wouldnt need a box on show inn the dining area

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #350 on: December 16, 2016, 09:25:35 am »
Snip

You might need Sky to come back and install a booster. Mine is connected to the router and it's really good.

I had issues with my Minis connecting to the Main box as well - distance and obstacles between the boxes . First two engineers that installed it were pricks and didn't really test the mesh enough. The 2nd lot of engineers were much better. Put a booster in and tested the mesh properly and showed me on their Ipad how it was all working correctly with strong signals.

BUT, I added a new mini last night. Seems to have connected fine with the Sky Q box but all I have is a black screen when trying to watch any recorded content or any of the channels . Tried all the usual stuff. Needs a phone call to Sky I think.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #351 on: December 16, 2016, 11:04:24 am »
Rather than have a wire trailing into the other room, have you considered home plugs?

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #352 on: December 16, 2016, 12:20:46 pm »
Rather than have a wire trailing into the other room, have you considered home plugs?

I've already run them before a renovation so they aren't trailing just haven't connected them yet , but not a bad idea that .

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #353 on: December 16, 2016, 12:27:27 pm »
You might need Sky to come back and install a booster. Mine is connected to the router and it's really good.

I had issues with my Minis connecting to the Main box as well - distance and obstacles between the boxes . First two engineers that installed it were pricks and didn't really test the mesh enough. The 2nd lot of engineers were much better. Put a booster in and tested the mesh properly and showed me on their Ipad how it was all working correctly with strong signals.

BUT, I added a new mini last night. Seems to have connected fine with the Sky Q box but all I have is a black screen when trying to watch any recorded content or any of the channels . Tried all the usual stuff. Needs a phone call to Sky I think.

I mentioned a booster and he said its usually when it far away from the main box or upstairs where it maybe required , what I couldnt understand if it's a wi fi problem is how come I can watch you tube on 4k through the wifi in the tv without any buffering or interruption . I dont really understand what the mesh is ..he tried this and said he could see my wi fi signal and it looked strong but then said it keeps dropping out ... Said it could also be the virgin hub as then never get problems with sky broadband .

He also said skyq is on this or next weeks watchdog , didn't know why but he thinks it could be to do with minis not doing what they claim to do !

Edit just googled this

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Q/Sky-Q-on-BBC-Watchdog/td-p/2571900
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 12:32:27 pm by gazzam1963 »

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #354 on: December 16, 2016, 01:55:05 pm »
The sky mesh was causing problems with our virgin wifi on the superhub 3, kept having dropouts.

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #355 on: December 16, 2016, 02:35:48 pm »
I mentioned a booster and he said its usually when it far away from the main box or upstairs where it maybe required , what I couldnt understand if it's a wi fi problem is how come I can watch you tube on 4k through the wifi in the tv without any buffering or interruption . I dont really understand what the mesh is ..he tried this and said he could see my wi fi signal and it looked strong but then said it keeps dropping out ... Said it could also be the virgin hub as then never get problems with sky broadband .

He also said skyq is on this or next weeks watchdog , didn't know why but he thinks it could be to do with minis not doing what they claim to do !

Edit just googled this

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Q/Sky-Q-on-BBC-Watchdog/td-p/2571900

Sorry, mate - The Mesh just refers to the network the Sky Q products creates to communicate between the boxes. So you can have one mini box connected to a sky q box, and that mini box could then relay content from the Sky Q box to another mini box further away. A booster helps to make the Mesh stronger and helps to fill any areas where you can't get signal. The Mesh is basically the your Sky's only wifi network. I probably haven't explained that quite well.

My understanding is that your wifi network should have no impact on the sky's own mesh. I could be wrong.

As I said before it's all very hit and miss with what engineer you get.

Offline Roy Cropper

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #356 on: December 17, 2016, 11:14:50 am »
Anyone finding the Sky Q box ... fucking dies and you have to do a full power out reset?

It's doing it every few days and getting on my wick.

Gonna see how it gets on but wondering if anyone else is having issues and if sky have done anything about it.

This seem to be happening a load more regular to me know. Anyone else having problems.

I haven't had chance to call Sky yet.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #357 on: December 18, 2016, 11:49:41 pm »
This seem to be happening a load more regular to me know. Anyone else having problems.

I haven't had chance to call Sky yet.

We propped ours up on some little lego brick legs and went into the installers menu and turned off wifi, stopped dying every few days but still have sync issues on some downloaded stuff. Nowhere near as bad though.

If you don't have mini boxes and your box is connected via Ethernet to your router it's worth doing, otherwise, call sky cos you'll need an engineer to have a look.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #358 on: December 20, 2016, 11:38:47 pm »
Second engineer visit and chivasino is right ..seems to depend on the engineer you get . First one blamed the virgin hub to main sky box wifi and said hard wiring would improve it and dismisses booster and maybe connecting the main box and the mini by Ethernet ( cables already there but not terminated yet ) to the router  . Second guy turns up and fit booster and shows me on the iPad how there all connected amd when sees I've wired ethernet to each position from the router says that would help ...everything seems good now , even took his time to set you one of the remotes to control the volume on new tv

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #359 on: December 21, 2016, 01:12:10 pm »
Wtf is the £200 "set up" fee supposed to be?