Author Topic: 7he Manches7er Uni7ed 7hread - NO GREENWOOD/ANTONY*  (Read 567915 times)

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: 7he Manches7er Uni7ed 7hread - NO GREENWOOD/ANTONY*
« Reply #9280 on: March 30, 2024, 10:18:27 pm »
why do you care?  :)
He's an English player and it's good for the national team to have young players getting opportunities at clubs.  That's one aim of FFP but it doesn't mean I want them to win anything.

Offline William Regal

• Kopite
« Reply #9281 on: March 30, 2024, 10:29:01 pm »
Brave, brave performance from those plucky underdogs with the most expensively assembled squad ever in the history of world football.  Mainoo MOTM

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #9282 on: March 30, 2024, 10:47:13 pm »
Have they managed to get into positive goal difference yet?

Offline RedDeadRejection

• Kopite
« Reply #9283 on: March 30, 2024, 10:48:08 pm »
Honest to Christ I love them. They're shite

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #9284 on: March 30, 2024, 11:00:23 pm »
Have they managed to get into positive goal difference yet?
So very close. But no.

106 shots conceded in their 4 games in March.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9285 on: March 30, 2024, 11:14:05 pm »
My god these are horrendous, I genuinely don’t think they are better than Luton and their league position is one of the biggest over achievements in history relative to performance. There’s not one good player at the club and the manager is a clown.

Jurgen going 3 without a win v these would be an absolute humiliation for him and us, better not happen.

Offline decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9286 on: March 30, 2024, 11:14:20 pm »
Who is Elliott getting in ahead of as an attacking midfielder?

Not saying he should be starting competitive games for England, but come on - he's obviously done well enough to at least get capped in a friendly. My point is merely that the media and England hype/bias towards United is and had always been real.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #9287 on: March 30, 2024, 11:14:21 pm »
Because they play for United. It was the same when Rashford and Greenwood were coming through. Then you also had the likes of Cleverley, Jones and Smalling as well.

All turned out average to absolute shite. Now they've got another little shiny thing to adore for 10 minutes. They'll ruin him. That's what they do.
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9288 on: March 31, 2024, 04:34:00 am »
29 played GD ZERO  lets make it negative again next week

only if mainoo was playing since the start of the season

their goal difference would be +1

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Deliverer of the -Q- de grace.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thought I was wrong once - but I was mistaken.
« Reply #9289 on: March 31, 2024, 06:25:06 am »
Yet to see why Mainoo has so much hype. I have no doubt that he's probably talented, but he was their CDM today and Brentford were just effortlessly slicing through the midfield time and time again.

Then blame Ten Hag for giving the best creative attacking midfielder we've got effing CDM duties FFS! You only need to see the way he is able to weave his way through seemingly impossibly tight situations to know he's an attacker!!
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Online PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #9290 on: March 31, 2024, 08:11:09 am »
I know when I popped on to BBC sport last night, it was about the 95th minute and there was a photo of a united fan front and centre looking very happy. Hoping it's still there for him today 😁
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #9291 on: March 31, 2024, 08:26:47 am »
They will raise their game next week again.

Hopefully we defend sensibly rather than allowing hoofs over the top for them.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Online Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #9292 on: March 31, 2024, 09:12:03 am »
Ten Hag...'it can be a big point by the end of the season' 😏

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9293 on: March 31, 2024, 09:34:49 am »
"I've seen Brentford against City and they were lucky to win that game and I've seen them against Liverpool and in the 1st 35 mins Brentford should have taken the lead"

"I have to make compliment to the team to hang in there and keep fighting.”

Ten Hag on if concerned by shots faced: "As long as we get results, no... We lost many second balls and then you have to defend the box and that's what we did quite well and we had a great goalkeeper... We concede shots but we don't concede many goals."

Hahahaha. Crazy how similar he is to Hodgson, he genuinely comes across as buzzing with their performances, it's amazing.

Online PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9294 on: March 31, 2024, 09:36:12 am »
Ten Hag...'it can be a big point by the end of the season' 😏

How, keeps them 6th? Maybe he thinks that's their target.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #9295 on: March 31, 2024, 09:39:08 am »
My god these are horrendous, I genuinely don’t think they are better than Luton and their league position is one of the biggest over achievements in history relative to performance. There’s not one good player at the club and the manager is a clown.

It's always funny to watch of course :D sadly they will always be able to buy a decent player every now and again, some mercenary who's quite capable for £400,000 a week and keep them in touch no matter how bad the rest of them or the manager are!

Shame as most other clubs would have players start to jump ship and they would be decades in the wilderness...I think size is pretty much the only thing keeping them going

Online The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9296 on: March 31, 2024, 10:15:09 am »
I no longer want Southgate (youre the one) to go there, Ten Hag is everything you want in a man utd manager.

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9297 on: March 31, 2024, 10:20:09 am »
How did their new Messi/Ronaldo/Maradona hybrid play yesterday. Should we be scared?  :D
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9298 on: March 31, 2024, 10:22:13 am »
Not saying he should be starting competitive games for England, but come on - he's obviously done well enough to at least get capped in a friendly. My point is merely that the media and England hype/bias towards United is and had always been real.

Good. Means our lads get more rest and can concentrate on winning stuff with us.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9299 on: March 31, 2024, 10:25:41 am »
Good. Means our lads get more rest and can concentrate on winning stuff with us.

It would be but if Elliott isn't getting called up to the seniors, he's being managed by Lee Carsley for the under 21s. I'd argue that Quansah also should be being called up to the seniors, based on the way Southgate hands out caps.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9300 on: March 31, 2024, 10:35:19 am »
It's always funny to watch of course :D sadly they will always be able to buy a decent player every now and again, some mercenary who's quite capable for £400,000 a week and keep them in touch no matter how bad the rest of them or the manager are!

Shame as most other clubs would have players start to jump ship and they would be decades in the wilderness...I think size is pretty much the only thing keeping them going
CL football is huge for them in terms of who they can bring in. They are already close to the limits.

Offline William Regal

• Kopite
« Reply #9301 on: March 31, 2024, 11:08:50 am »
How did their new Messi/Ronaldo/Maradona hybrid play yesterday. Should we be scared?  :D

He nearly contained Janelt for a few minutes of the game, putting himself into contention for the 2024 Balon Dor in the process

Online PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9302 on: March 31, 2024, 11:41:20 am »
I think you are being harsh there. He's mostly being compared with Pele.

--edit-- in case someone tries to accuse me of racism. I've never seen mainoo. I have no idea what skin colour he is.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #9303 on: March 31, 2024, 11:44:37 am »
They will raise their game next week again.

Hopefully we defend sensibly rather than allowing hoofs over the top for them.
Yeah, they pulled a Villa, 7-2 against us last time out- but I understand why we couldn't deal with that near the end.
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #9304 on: March 31, 2024, 11:48:58 am »

Problem is... the other clubs are moving on and leaving them behind. We're getting to a point where the likes of Brighton and Brentford can afford very good players- IF they so choose.
Their love for handing out ridiculously long contracts for players is also going to haunt them. They're faar from Chelsea levels, but still. There's a long turn-around when it comes to squad rebuilding- and even a season makes a huge difference.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2024, 11:51:33 am by the_red_pill »
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #9305 on: March 31, 2024, 11:53:56 am »
Mainoo looks decent to me, but ffs he's just a kid, why the fuck do these idiots always do this, acting like they've got the best thing since Messi hit the scene? Just led the lad develop. Wankers
He's okay. He's more a Henderson type. Energetic, physical, up for it and good with basics- can overcome his talent shortcomings with his physical attributes.
He's the sort of player that Jurgen likes to give a run-out, but yes- he's only a kid... and not that good of a talent either. But he needs to be left to develop.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2024, 11:55:57 am by the_red_pill »

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9306 on: March 31, 2024, 11:55:47 am »
He's an English player and it's good for the national team to have young players getting opportunities at clubs.  That's one aim of FFP but it doesn't mean I want them to win anything.
by that logic, if MU had 11 English players in their lineup you'd be satisfied seeing them do well against us in every game.

him being English means eff-all to me.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #9307 on: March 31, 2024, 11:58:17 am »
He's okay. He's more a Henderson type. Energetic, physical, up for it and good with basics- can overcome his talent shortcomings with his physical attributes.
He's the sort of player that Jurgen likes, but yes- he's only a kid... and not that good of a talent either. But he needs to be left to develop.

What, he's the complete opposite of Henderson.  Good technically, quick feet, tidy short passer but doesn't have much speed or power and isn't all that tuned in tactically.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9308 on: March 31, 2024, 12:00:19 pm »
What, he's the complete opposite of Henderson.  Good technically, quick feet, tidy short passer but doesn't have much speed or power and isn't all that tuned in tactically.
agreed. surprised anyone sees any resemblance to Hendo.  most of what I saw yesterday was him walking around the pitch.

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
  • Turned doubters to believers
« Reply #9309 on: March 31, 2024, 12:14:54 pm »

https://fbref.com/en/players/c6220452/scout/365_m1/Kobbie-Mainoo-Scouting-Report

His short passing is just about average. Just. His medium and long passing is woeful.

Technically good at what? Sometimes a player fails the eye test, which he certainly does, but passes the underlying stat test. But he doesn’t do that either. He seems to do a couple of tidy things early in a game and then absolutely fuck all for the rest of it. That Lewis Miley at Newcastle looks ‘ok’, and profiles a fuck tonne better than him at a younger age and I don’t think anyone could fathom him getting as much hype.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s wonderful to see them doing it AGAIN. But it is puzzling that non-United fans seem to be seeing something that clearly isn’t there.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2024, 12:24:13 pm by Redley »

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9310 on: March 31, 2024, 12:19:01 pm »
https://fbref.com/en/players/c6220452/scout/365_m1/Kobbie-Mainoo-Scouting-Report

His short passing is just about average. Just. His medium and long passing is woeful.

Technically good at what? Sometimes a player fails the eye test, which he certainly does, but passes the underlying stat test. But he doesn’t do that either. He seems to do a couple of tidy things early in a fake and then absolutely fuck all for the rest of it. That Lewis Miley at Newcastle looks ‘ok’, and profiles a fuck tonne better than him at a younger age and I don’t think anyone could fathom him getting as much hype.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s wonderful to see them doing it AGAIN. But it is puzzling that non-United fans seem to be seeing something that clearly isn’t there.
if the UK media didn't "see something not there" in a young MU player ... that would be puzzling.  :)

Offline 6BigCups

• RAWK Journeyman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9311 on: March 31, 2024, 07:33:21 pm »
It’s bizarre how a team can genuinely be so shite, and yet still sneak results in the way this lot do.

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #9312 on: March 31, 2024, 08:17:46 pm »
It’s bizarre how a team can genuinely be so shite, and yet still sneak results in the way this lot do.
0 GD, 11 losses, and still several places higher than they aught to be.

Online PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9313 on: March 31, 2024, 10:17:23 pm »
Did the press hail Mainoo as the replacement fo

Not really, when you are paying that much in wages and transfer fees, you expect the odd flash of decent play to win you games that officials have kept you in.

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9314 on: March 31, 2024, 11:13:30 pm »
He's an English player and it's good for the national team to have young players getting opportunities at clubs. 
Yer Ma!!!!!
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9315 on: March 31, 2024, 11:46:19 pm »

Technically good at what? Sometimes a player fails the eye test, which he certainly does, but passes the underlying stat test. But he doesn’t do that either. He seems to do a couple of tidy things early in a game and then absolutely fuck all for the rest of it. That Lewis Miley at Newcastle looks ‘ok’, and profiles a fuck tonne better than him at a younger age and I don’t think anyone could fathom him getting as much hype.

I agree with everything you've said but I think Mainoo passes the eye test if you're casually watching the game.  He has good feet and can manoeuvre out of tight situations, two traits that always catch the eye, particularly so if it's against a high-pressing team like us.

I'd hope the manager of our national team would be watching games with a bit more scrutiny than that but I'm not hugely surprised that he isn't.

The Seedorf comparison is hilarious.  Whoever came up with that one deserves an award of some kind.

Offline Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #9316 on: March 31, 2024, 11:55:41 pm »
We’ll see with Mainoo. They’re always very quick to anoint their players as generational talents and always have a habit of going overboard with the hype before there’s any real substance behind it.

He looks very press resistant and appears to be well developed/built for his age. He looks really gifted to be honest, I’m not sure how you can say he isn’t. I’m not sure why there’s so much hype though, near enough every decent side in the league have really gifted midfielders who can do a lot of things well. Even if he does turn out as good as they seem to think he will, he alone can’t save that shower of shite. They’ll run him into the ground depending on him like they do already.

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9317 on: April 1, 2024, 04:47:50 am »
sadly they will always be able to buy a decent player every now and again, some mercenary who's quite capable for £400,000 a week and keep them in touch no matter how bad the rest of them or the manager are!

I don't see anything "sad" about that, unless you're saying "sa-a-ad" a la Alan Partridge describing Mercedes drivers

Offline Tobez

• Kopite
  • We all Live r pool
« Reply #9318 on: April 1, 2024, 06:23:35 am »
I don't see anything "sad" about that, unless you're saying "sa-a-ad" a la Alan Partridge describing Mercedes drivers

Wataru Lexus is the Japanese Mercedes

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9319 on: April 1, 2024, 08:50:59 am »
It's all about context, United fans are over hyping mainoo, some rivals fans are being overly critical. It's the reverse of what they accuse united fans of doing. Being impartial it isn't that common for 17 or 18 year olds to be first team players in the Premier league. Mainoo is playing very well for an 18 year old at this standard of football and has lots of potential but is clearly not the finished article