Author Topic: Job or love ... Please help me  (Read 10662 times)

Online kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Job or love ... Please help me
« Reply #80 on: September 5, 2014, 04:57:07 pm »
If you trust us. Create a poll.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #81 on: September 5, 2014, 04:57:07 pm »
Without reading your OP.

Choose love you tit !
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline Sir Harvest Fields

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quicker Than Yngwie? Maybe!
« Reply #82 on: September 5, 2014, 06:40:37 pm »
Love. No two ways about it. Jobs can come and go but true love is forever...
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #83 on: September 5, 2014, 06:46:37 pm »
Definitely the woman.

If you're talented and good at what you do, you'll find work in most places.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Giovanni

• C'mon Chelsea!!! Stood on the Spyin Kop, the tricky bitch. Look out!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: September 5, 2014, 06:56:07 pm »
I'd take the job.

If you love each other, she will still be there in a few months time. It will undoubtedly be tough, and you will have increased strains on the relationship, but she should understand that this is something you NEED and WANT to do. You have the rest of your life to spend together, current job opportunities with prospects that you are interested in are as rare as love - but you've already found love. And if its true love, she'll understand.
cyas

Offline Giovanni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: September 5, 2014, 07:04:02 pm »
what the hells a future fiance though?
cyas

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: September 5, 2014, 07:28:10 pm »
If you take the job as giovanni says, you don't want here, your not in love.

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: September 5, 2014, 07:40:10 pm »
What if he loves his job?

Still don't understand the sentiment here that a job is money and nothing more?

Then fair play, im just giving my opinion and a job is just money at the end of the day. Is that not the fundamental reason we work?
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: September 5, 2014, 07:46:52 pm »
Sorry mate, didnt mean it to sound like that. I love my job but i NEED payday to enjoy life a bit better.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: September 5, 2014, 08:14:30 pm »
Wait, you've had a two year long distance relationship, and before that a year together in the UK that was a bit testing? Maybe you're better off with the long distance relationship, especially if the new job offers a bit more money for frequent trips over... You can still relocate after thej ob has given you more and better opportunities to work from NY.

I think a lot of people here have quite mundane jobs that really come and go, and love is more important in their lives. If you're job is more than a job to you, take the job. If it's just work, go to NY.

But first things obviously, talk to her.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: September 5, 2014, 11:09:47 pm »
NY. Aren't you comfortable enough to survive?

This is just me here, but i'm not too arsed about money. Some people love money, so when there almost dead they can have lots of money in an account but nobody by there bedside to share there last breath with, but it's okay cos they'll be a rich dead man, and who doesn't want that.

Can't bring the girl either ;D

Loved dead man is still dead.

Go for both while alive, even though none of this is worth a damn.

Offline Flinstone

• Whatever you like. Would like to slip it in without making it awkward... Chinese Information Minister
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: September 6, 2014, 06:04:32 am »
What is love?

Baby don't hurt me, no more.
The West is finished, China is the future

Offline Giovanni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: September 6, 2014, 11:23:04 am »
If you take the job as giovanni says, you don't want here, your not in love.
:butt

It's effectively just a holiday to new york, he's not going to spend the rest of his life there.
cyas

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: September 6, 2014, 11:44:06 am »
Quick update - started talking around 10:30 PM last night and I did not get to bed till 6 AM today. To say there were tears and emotional fallout is an understatement. I'm feeling terrible and completely stuck now.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline JG-7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: September 6, 2014, 11:50:56 am »
Quick update - started talking around 10:30 PM last night and I did not get to bed till 6 AM today. To say there were tears and emotional fallout is an understatement. I'm feeling terrible and completely stuck now.

It was bound to be difficult. I'm guessing by this, however, that you're seriously considering the job as the route you want to take? Is there a time frame in which you have to decide by? A lot is dependent on what you'd do for work in New York, it's all well and good going and being with the person that you love but if you're doing something over there that you don't enjoy then that may impact on your relationship.

Offline Narwin Dunez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: September 6, 2014, 11:58:59 am »
The only reason you wouldn't take the job is out of guilt by the sounds of it, cos she's fragile. You'll resent her for the rest of your time if you don't take it.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: September 6, 2014, 12:00:43 pm »

It was bound to be difficult. I'm guessing by this, however, that you're seriously considering the job as the route you want to take? Is there a time frame in which you have to decide by? A lot is dependent on what you'd do for work in New York, it's all well and good going and being with the person that you love but if you're doing something over there that you don't enjoy then that may impact on your relationship.

Start date is Tuesday at 9 AM so basically need to get the paperwork in yesterday, I have a mountain of prep to do and of course i've got to get my butt and all my stuff down to London pronto. Thankfully I have somewhere to stay.

By the way Giovanni I happen to think you make some good points. You all do.

I would continue doing external business consulting from New York if I was to go there and turndown this contract. Not ideal due to workspace and time zone issues but somehow I would make it work. But this contract offer I received is something I've been hanging out for for some time and could lead to other exciting opportunities alongside my external consulting work. It's one of those getting your foot in the door opportunities.
« Last Edit: September 6, 2014, 12:14:18 pm by Vishy »
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: September 6, 2014, 12:04:45 pm »
The only reason you wouldn't take the job is out of guilt by the sounds of it, cos she's fragile. You'll resent her for the rest of your time if you don't take it.

A part of me does fear that. But when we were chatting last night I realised the full extent of the sacrifice she has made and how literally this has smoked so many of our plans and left her pretty much devastated. I'm pretty much ridden with guilt and anxiety right now.
« Last Edit: September 6, 2014, 12:06:25 pm by Vishy »

Offline Narwin Dunez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: September 6, 2014, 12:09:23 pm »
There you go. You just said to me "I want the job, but I'd feel guilty because she'd be devastated."

Take the job. Short term loss, long term gain, you won't be able to look at yourself in the mirror if you don't.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: September 6, 2014, 12:21:09 pm »
There you go. You just said to me "I want the job, but I'd feel guilty because she'd be devastated."

Take the job. Short term loss, long term gain, you won't be able to look at yourself in the mirror if you don't.

Thanks for your advice mate. Right now I just see a spineless indecisive twat who is blurting out everything on this forum and letting down someone they love and passing up one amazing opportunity for another. As someone said at the beginning of this thread the longer I take to pull the trigger to make a decision the less that decision will have any satisfaction. In amongst all this craziness I won't forget those days when I was staring at the wall waiting for opportunities and experiencing life setbacks one after the other so please don't take this as ungratefulness.

Offline La Vecchia Magpie

• Terry de Niro's Geordie rival...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: September 6, 2014, 01:30:29 pm »
Did you choose the job in England then?
The Wood Preservation Society. Hopefully that shed's the equivalent of Fritzel's cellar.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: September 6, 2014, 01:30:35 pm »
Start date is Tuesday at 9 AM so basically need to get the paperwork in yesterday, I have a mountain of prep to do and of course i've got to get my butt and all my stuff down to London pronto. Thankfully I have somewhere to stay.
Have I got this right, jobs starts on Tuesday, you were planning to go to NY the weekend after?

Start the job. In a weeks time you'll have a better idea if it's really as amazing as you think. If not, fuck it off and go and see her. If it is, try to negotiate a few day's break soon to go and see her to talk it through face-to-face.

Also, she says she has given up a lot for your relationship, but it is you who is going to relocate across the world and planning on working nights from home to keep your relationship going.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Latenight Surfer

• Legacy Fan
  • Giggity
« Reply #102 on: September 6, 2014, 01:45:50 pm »
Every one has given their opinion..I am sure you found your answers in one of those. But, I'll give mine anyway.

How badly do you love her?

How badly does she love you?

How badly do you want to grow in your career?

How badly does she wants to see you grow in your career?

These are the questions that would come to anyone's minds generally. Now, face it, you will regret at some-point about the decision you made regardless of what you choose right now, that is life (It would happen to anyone). The question you need to ask yourselves would be...which one is worth the regret?

To answer this question you just have to decide whether or not you love her more than your career or the other way round. Remember one thing mate, their is no right answer or wrong answer in this and their is no good answer or bad answer in this either, good or bad and right or wrong is what you will make of it eventually.

A relation-ship depends on two people and a career depends on the person in question only. Who knows what will happen later on in the relation-ship (it depends on both) but your career? It's always in your hands, you are the one who makes it or breaks it, so why take a chance with something that is not in your hands?

As you said you both have "invested" into the relation-ship, and any investment without returns is a failed investment. But joint investments can always lead to differences in opinions and the business may suffer from a set-back and it might not be your fault, but an individual investment will only depend on you, so you can set the rules and foundations of it all and keep the benefits all for your self. And besides once you gain returns you can always buy what you need from the market anyway.

Now, the important part, those questions I asked in the beginning.. just focus on the first one.

If the answer to that is a 10/10, then whatever I said means shit.. but the fact that you are willing to listen to people explains that you are willing to consider other possibilities and when you have reached that juncture in a relation-ship you cannot take a naive decision and suffer from it and also make the girl suffer from the consequences.

« Last Edit: September 6, 2014, 01:57:39 pm by Latenight Surfer »
"Genuine Struggle Leads To Genuine Success" - Yevado Annadle

Offline zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: September 6, 2014, 02:01:52 pm »
Without reading your OP.

Choose love you tit !
:thumbup

Offline KiNki

• Smicer devotee supreme, Sammy Lee impersonator extraordinaire.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
    • http://hfdinfo.com/digital
« Reply #104 on: September 6, 2014, 02:03:01 pm »
it sounds abit like john bishop and his mrs.   He was with his girlfriend and she was waiting for the marriage proposal.  He decided to flit off to australia (wasnt ready to settle down and grow up) and she took a job.  It could have been the end of them.  For alot of people it definitely would be the end of them.  They got together later, then split up, then got together again, had kids.

One door closes, another opens up...

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: September 7, 2014, 11:40:40 am »
For anyone interested in how this panned out ...

Spoke with my other half and she was extremely upset as expected, but she has now come round and is supporting me in accepting the contract, knowing that I will be heading to NYC at the first opportunity. Also spoke with her parents too, and they agree that making decision with the best net effect for our future is the right thing to do. We both feel happier now and ready to accept the challenges that lie ahead.

Thanks again to everyone for helping me get through this.

Offline ...

• Better than "Wall's Viennetta". Fact.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: September 7, 2014, 01:03:18 pm »
For anyone interested in how this panned out ...

Spoke with my other half and she was extremely upset as expected, but she has now come round and is supporting me in accepting the contract, knowing that I will be heading to NYC at the first opportunity. Also spoke with her parents too, and they agree that making decision with the best net effect for our future is the right thing to do. We both feel happier now and ready to accept the challenges that lie ahead.

Thanks again to everyone for helping me get through this.

I'm proud of you :)

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: September 7, 2014, 02:37:00 pm »
Best of luck mate, hope it was the right choice.
The Wood Preservation Society. Hopefully that shed's the equivalent of Fritzel's cellar.

Offline Latenight Surfer

• Legacy Fan
  • Giggity
« Reply #108 on: September 7, 2014, 03:05:07 pm »

So, it's job AND love then. Way to go mate, way to go. Congratulations.   8)
"Genuine Struggle Leads To Genuine Success" - Yevado Annadle

Offline Narwin Dunez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: September 7, 2014, 03:45:15 pm »
Good man. We're all proud of you.

Offline Flash6289

• Legacy Fan
  • €6
« Reply #110 on: September 7, 2014, 05:27:12 pm »
Awesome! And folks said you can't have your cake and eat it, too. You're doing it buddy :)
The thread title sort of implied that was the case...

Good stuff though OP.
XBL: Flash6289

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: September 7, 2014, 07:47:01 pm »
Thanks guys. Some brilliant people on here. Wish you all the best.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #112 on: September 8, 2014, 02:14:41 pm »
Are you Fabio Borini though?
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: April 7, 2015, 01:18:07 pm »
For anyone that may be interested, I accepted the contract down south and it worked out well. I have just come back from vacation and got a contract transfer to New York (at least for a few months)! It's hard work and New York is a pretty grimy, cold place right now but growing on me. I made it here! My other half and I are doing well - it put our relationship under a test and we did pretty well.

Thanks to all for your help and advice around the time. It really helped me.

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: April 7, 2015, 01:43:10 pm »
fairytale ending
bollocks

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: April 7, 2015, 01:45:25 pm »
Nice one mate!

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: April 7, 2015, 01:47:22 pm »
 :thumbup

(Have your gf let us know if she gets lonely. We can give her advice too. ;) )
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #117 on: April 7, 2015, 02:41:05 pm »
Love a happy ending. Nice one, mate  :wave
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #118 on: April 7, 2015, 02:59:33 pm »

Offline zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: April 7, 2015, 03:01:10 pm »
Good on yer Vishy. Thanks for the update