Author Topic: Torres - The Reasons for Leaving - by Sid Lowe  (Read 338095 times)

Offline Kopstar30

• Main Stander
  • Kenny will bring back the glory days
Re: Torres - The Reasons for Leaving - by Sid Lowe
« Reply #120 on: February 4, 2011, 03:08:48 am »
Lets say LFC mostly played their part in this deal. Why then hasnt Torres come out and given the fans a statement of his actions or at the time his intentions? We deserved to know before. Now i couldnt careless cuz it means nothing. FT has no class unlike Suarez and his statement.

Also the transfer announcement came as a shock and you could tell by KKs reaction.

I believe if LFC wanted to sell then they would have put him on an auction early on and known full well that if Man City came to know they would have got top money for him (£50m+). LFC were always in a win win situation.

This deal was perfectly executed and orchestrated by CHELSEA and FT CAMP from a very long long time (summer). Benayoun, abramovich on the yacht in South Africa.

FT and its camp are liars. He seen £ signs first and then the trophies.
« Last Edit: February 4, 2011, 03:26:46 am by Kopstar30 »

Offline Shanty Bay Red

• Kemlynite
  • He shoots, he scores!
« Reply #121 on: February 4, 2011, 03:14:36 am »
The issues is not him leaving, but all of the BS spouted by him in the past.  Am I imagining it but did he not say shortly before th transfer window he intended to honour his contract?.  He must have  taken lessons from Michael Owen on how to leave but pretend you want to stay.  We don't want any player here who doesn't want to wear the red shirt and try your hardest, but no lies.  We get enough from others (Government, Bureaucrats etc.).

What's he going to say if Chelsea don't win on Sunday?

Offline macmanaman

• doo doo dedoo doo
  • Kopite
  • Rafalution
« Reply #122 on: February 4, 2011, 03:21:03 am »
To me, it's shocking that Torres hasn't come out and say something to the fans yet. He left the way he did and still no fucking words for the fans who has supported him through thick and thin. Victim my fucking ass.

Offline Scarlet`

• Low profile with wide rims
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96!!!
    • Laconius Arts and Design
« Reply #123 on: February 4, 2011, 03:23:06 am »
You guys are right.  Suarez has come out with a statement.  Carroll has given a lot of respect for Newcastle and hinted he might go back one day while Torres articles just say he want to score against us. 

Torres has 0 respect for those fans who idolized him. 
If Ayre got £25m out of them he's willing to fuck all the female members of my family on Sunday's.

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #124 on: February 4, 2011, 03:27:17 am »
Even if every word of that is true, to choose potential short term success over loyalty and trust makes it own statement. He said he loved us and said he was committed to Liverpool and was going to stay until 2 weeks ago. He lied. That is dishonourable. And that is all.

Offline Kopstar30

• Main Stander
  • Kenny will bring back the glory days
« Reply #125 on: February 4, 2011, 03:30:52 am »
Even if every word of that is true, to choose potential short term success over loyalty and trust makes it own statement. He said he loved us and said he was committed to Liverpool and was going to stay until 2 weeks ago. He lied. That is dishonourable. And that is all.

FT quotes on 9th Jan 2011 -

"More than ever, we need to stick together," he told The People. "We must live in the present, from match to match. We need to add more points, win matches and improve our standing in the table.

"That is our challenge and I demand the total help of our supporters in doing that. My head is in Liverpool and on helping save our season. I am professional and I always fulfil my deals.

"I haven't considered leaving, although in football that depends on the club ."

« Last Edit: February 4, 2011, 03:39:47 am by Kopstar30 »

Offline mercury

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: February 4, 2011, 03:33:29 am »
I think not even a mention of HIcks or Gillett as being the real culprits falls short of describing what really went wrong with the club, and how the 08/09 season was good in spite of everything. H&G, along with Purslow, and then Hodgson, almost totally fucked this club. We were perilously close to the wall, not just in football terms, but in becoming bankrupt.

This should not be overlooked so much as it is. This article fails in that regard.

Torres may have had enough, but the club has changed owners, executive, board, manager, and moved on. It is not the club of last year, and THAT should be acknowledged above all else. And the extra 65k per week cannot be dismissed as a major influence.

I think it lets him off the hook as well. He could easily have done this with more class, and not at the last minute. He could have handed in his notice on Jan 1, and let all clubs come in with bids. Going to Chelsea at the last minute, half way through a season that we still have to play them and compete for a Euro place, is unforgivable. The club were left with little choice, and the fact he was thrown off like bad rubbish for the best price possible was good management of a bad situation. If any good comes out of this mess, it's that players will know that the club cannot be held to ransom in the style of Rooney/Tevez - if you say you want to leave, better be ready to follow through. If Torres called LFC's bluff, he failed, and that could also be seen as a source of his anger toward us and should be acknowledged as so.

Torres (aka "that other fella") has become a footnote in our history, and he castigated the fans for his greed and frustration, for which he may leave behind his best football.

He is no longer one of us, and he walks alone. That was HIS doing. It could have been done with more class, but Nando chose the low road. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if he ended up playing for R.Madrid, his boyhood club's arch enemy. I can't imagine any other club that deserves him more (or would be willing to pay for his magic wand).

Goodbye traitor.

This.  Said before, the decision to go is understandable.  The manner of his doing so sucks.  He is also naive in not differentiating the previous and current owners / management - not that he should give the new guys a chance - he doesn't owe us that - but the character.

Let's focus on our own players and see how the owners set up the Club and approach the next summer - now that is much more important to us.

Offline Dave Mc

• Legacy Fan
  • I 'll be back for breakfast
« Reply #127 on: February 4, 2011, 03:39:51 am »

Sensible chap, that Sid Lowe.
Mark Noble is a shithouse!! - Phil M, 5/3/08

Offline Six Beardy

• Granby Half-Brick Dodger!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #128 on: February 4, 2011, 03:51:20 am »
Instead of bleating on about his lack of medals and blaming everyone else, he should be apologising to us for the fact we paid him millions to win us trophies and he won us fuck all. 

Offline PortableRed

• Main Stander
« Reply #129 on: February 4, 2011, 04:19:57 am »
Oh well.

Offline MagicB8all

• Legacy Fan
  • Meh
« Reply #130 on: February 4, 2011, 04:24:41 am »
Instead of bleating on about his lack of medals and blaming everyone else, he should be apologising to us for the fact we paid him millions to win us trophies and he won us fuck all. 
blame Lucas and his pens for that!
Goodbye & thank you Rafa. You've given us more than we ever had a right to expect from you and you stayed loyal and fought for us even when some of our own turned on you. I truly hope that you find somewhere with the support that you deserve & win everything in sight.

Offline dgoh

• Kopite
  • Son. Brother. Student. RAWKite
« Reply #131 on: February 4, 2011, 04:40:11 am »
i'm still waiting for him to speak to us.

Offline nocturnalvin

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96.
« Reply #132 on: February 4, 2011, 04:55:15 am »
And the punk rock band plays on long in to the night,
The girls with empty eyes hardly even put up a fight

In this case the "punk rock" can be shortened to the PR band. The girl is Torres. His eyes are empty because he couldn't give a shit other than for himself. And he didn't put up a fight to the immense riches on offer :)

It's a well written article. I'd suspect it's coming from Torres' side though. Infact, it would seem likely that it was Torres who informed Lowe of his desire to leave last Friday morning when he (Lowe) was one of the first to say he'd push for a move.

Let's see if he gives enough of a shit to carry on defending his corner, pushing his side of the story, after the abuse he'll inevitably recieve on Sunday. I suspect we won't hear another word from him on the subject until he's next playing Liverpool. And really, why should he be - he's got plenty of videos to watch and books to read on Chelsea's history.

The people there are workers. Cut from the same cloth as their greatest manager, Jose Mourinho.

No, no, sorry. Wankers. Oh.

How true.

Sid Lowe is the best writer for Spanish football, no doubt about it. THis though, is English football.
Quite clearly, he has been fed by the Ninny camp, and one wonders his intentions of just putting in a relatively subjective piece.

There are a couple of things i do not agree/comprehend.

It talked about Ninny needed to be enthused. It clearly suggest that the owners are now the "bad guy", they didn't really want him to stay. In fact, it seem to suggest that the whole Liverpool camp behaved that way. Bloody nonsense. If Kenny said he was disappointed, and in fact spoke by all accounts, spoke to Ninny even till the last day, i believe Kenny was disappointed. That meant Kenny had made attempts to make him stay. If he wasn't convinced by Kenny, then he can very well fuck off.

What happened, i might speculate, was a case of "no turning back".
His camp, if as suggested, wanted to push the envelope. Again, according to Sid Lowe, he wanted to be convinced to stay. My arse really. There was information that G.Ballague confidently mentioned about the transfer almost didn't go through, because Ninny's lawyers were unable to strike a proper contract. It all points to a simple conclusion. It was more about the money than ambition. It was about haggling over image rights and the what nots.

Also, If things were so dead certain that it will happen, there was no need of him to do a PR stunt, training alone in Melwood. You could imagine his thoughts in that pic, standing alone, kicking a ball. The last time at Melwood he knew.

So much for ambition that he needs to pull PR stunt after stunt.

It all points to a major screw up on his part.

Offline Fanxxxxtastic

• Will be very sadly missed on RAWK and elsewhere.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a proud cyber terrorist!
« Reply #133 on: February 4, 2011, 04:55:42 am »

One man doesn't win you trophies.  A team does.

http://twitter.com/Fanxxxxtastic

"A big heart has space for everyone" - Rafa Benitez

Smash the cull!  Smash the BNP!

Offline Dystopia

• Main Stander
« Reply #134 on: February 4, 2011, 05:00:40 am »
Rafa is one man, no?

Offline Les Willis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Torres - The Reasons for Leaving - by Sid LoweConfirmed rentboy
« Reply #135 on: February 4, 2011, 05:02:14 am »
Can I just say, I really hope that if he scores on Sunday he goes crazy, runs right up to the travelling Kop fists pumping, eyes bulging, and kisses the Chelsea  ;Dbadge.

That would make it easier for lots of people to move on. Just as he has. Don't be late about it.
Agree. Hopefully, he'll flick us the v's, bare his arse and then get sent off too! ;)

Offline Fanxxxxtastic

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: February 4, 2011, 05:06:18 am »
Rafa is one man, no?

He is, but it's the team that ultimately does the job.  Not the manager.

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: February 4, 2011, 05:07:43 am »
A PR spin pure and simple. And it's not for the fans of Liverpool (whose perception is a foregone conclusion). It's for the neutral public whose perception if not managed, may not be to keen anymore to buy merchandises of a perceived liar and traitor.

As Kenny said, down the road we shall see who gets the better deal out of this. And this is the last time I am going to comment on Fernando Torres Sanz.
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline PonderthePoint

• Anny Roader
  • All round the fields..
« Reply #138 on: February 4, 2011, 05:08:05 am »
Saying that the Suarez deal was a sign that they were counting on money from Torres deal, not infact the complete opposite - actually showing intent and ambition, is a shithouse accusation.

Offline Dystopia

• Main Stander
« Reply #139 on: February 4, 2011, 05:08:58 am »
He is, but it's the team that ultimately does the job.  Not the manager.

If you make a pizza and put it in the oven, is it you or the oven that does the job?

Offline Fanxxxxtastic

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: February 4, 2011, 05:09:56 am »
Rafa is one man, no?

Rafa is a very special man.  He'll always feel that way to me.  I love him.  I'm devoed that he had to suffer under G and H like he did.

Offline Fanxxxxtastic

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: February 4, 2011, 05:12:24 am »
If you make a pizza and put it in the oven, is it you or the oven that does the job?

You, but if you get distracted.

;)

Offline Something Awful

• is stinking out the feedback forum. Wants a blow job from a velociraptor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #142 on: February 4, 2011, 05:26:51 am »
Nice try, but summer would have been understood and accepted I think. Doing it three days before the window was pathetic and meant we paid over the odds for Carroll. Which is fine, I have every faith in big AC to do well, but fuck Torres. If he cared about the fans, he would have sucked it up, manned up, and sorted himself out in the summer. What if Chelsea win nothing and finish 5th this season? Is he moving on again?
'Despite their  cup pedigree - since they've returned to the top flight in 1962 - Everton have, after today's results, once again gone further in the FA Cup than their much vaunted neighbours. For the record it's Everton 23 Liverpool 22  and 7 ties in 52 seasons'

Offline PhilAnderer

• Kopite
  • Smack my arse
« Reply #143 on: February 4, 2011, 05:41:49 am »
Hicks and Gillett are still the main reason the relationship went tits up.

On a side note, I laughed when reminded how Torres studied videos of Liverpool's history.

I guess he'll watch Chelsea's over a bowl of Cornflakes.

Offline Zapata316

• Kopite
  • Justice for the 96
« Reply #144 on: February 4, 2011, 05:55:27 am »
Mascherano has had his say

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/feb/03/javier-mascherano-liverpool-fernando-torres

Javier Mascherano hits out at Liverpool over exit of Fernando Torres

The Barcelona midfielder Javier Mascherano has criticised his former club Liverpool for their handling of his departure last summer and the exit of the striker Fernando Torres on Monday.

The Argentina international described as "sad" the manner in which players had to leave a club they had served well. Following Torres's £50m transfer to Chelsea on deadline day the Spaniard has been castigated by Liverpool fans for comments suggesting he is much better off at Stamford Bridge than he was at Anfield.

"I was not surprised about what happened with Fernando," Mascherano is quoted on espn.co.uk as saying today.

"When I left Liverpool, it looked as if I killed someone. It is sad that the people who did something important with the club have to leave by the back door.

"It is sad that the press and the club try to convince people that it is all the player's fault when the reality is that Liverpool didn't show the interest in keeping us in the club.

"The most important players didn't leave the club well. I spoke with Fernando and I said to him that he doesn't have to be worried because he did his best for the club.

"Even though he didn't win any trophies, he was a very important player and helped this club all the time."

Mascherano was offered a new contract by Rafael Benítez, the then Liverpool manager, last April but stalled on signing it. Four months later, after it became apparent he did not want to remain on Merseyside, he secured a £22m move to Barcelona.

Offline The Manhattan Project

• snood fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • I Have Become Death, The Destroyer Of Worlds
« Reply #145 on: February 4, 2011, 05:58:29 am »
Torres: We need to sign top quality players

Dalglish: We just signed Suarez

Torres: So you have bought him to replace me?

Dalglish: What the fuck? You just said we need MORE quality players. He's one of them.

Torres: I want a transfer

Dalglish: Whatever. Fuck off.
china syndrome 810512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 59118 identification unknown 113
source transmission 4121 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 0101505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 010414 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave

Offline Entropicity

• Anny Roader
« Reply #146 on: February 4, 2011, 06:11:17 am »
Rafa out!

This would never have happened if Rafa had never signed Torres!  :no

Offline Jin

• ky
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: February 4, 2011, 06:15:32 am »

Dalglish: What the fuck? You just said we need MORE quality players. He's one of them.

Spot on that

Offline Kopite1971

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: February 4, 2011, 06:15:35 am »
I think what Sid is getting at is that he wants to compete now.  The Suarez signing was only one signing in his eyes so he probably felt that things weren't moving fast enough for him.  No CL this season and looking difficult for a 4th place finish this season (granted, still not out of the question).  That would potentially make it 2 years with no CL football.  He'll be 27 in March, 28 next March, so he'd have to wait til he's 28/29 to play in the CL again.  That's given the club is heading in the right direction and can overtake  two of the Mancs, City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs for next season.  Chelsea can't guarantee anything either (except CL this season and a better chance of top 4 at the moment)but the signings of Luiz and Torres show some intent on the part of Chelsea as well.  So, that's probably the way he sees it.  Personally, I hope he's wrong but he's hardly delusional.

I agree, in a nutshell that's the crux of the reason that Torres deserted LFC.  The real culprits in all of this remain H&G whose horrendous reign has caused all of us so much pain and damaged all our dreams, however, we the supporters do have time on our hands to wiat for FSG and KK to deliver what we all want.

Torres's big big mistake is what he said after leaving LFC and this article is part of his fightback to correct that grievous error.  If he'd simply said something similar to the quote above, his reputation would be much less tarnished as many would have some sympathy with him.  In simple terms look at Andy Carroll, ofcourse his move to LFC has hurt the Geordie fans, but he has gained respect certainly here at Liverpool and hopefully at Newcastle too by stating clearly where Newcastle is in his heart.
Proud to be "An Internet Terrorist"

SOS# 1159

Offline Zapata316

• Kopite
  • Justice for the 96
« Reply #149 on: February 4, 2011, 06:20:27 am »
I agree, in a nutshell that's the crux of the reason that Torres deserted LFC.  The real culprits in all of this remain H&G whose horrendous reign has caused all of us so much pain and damaged all our dreams, however, we the supporters do have time on our hands to wiat for FSG and KK to deliver what we all want.

Torres's big big mistake is what he said after leaving LFC and this article is part of his fightback to correct that grievous error.  If he'd simply said something similar to the quote above, his reputation would be much less tarnished as many would have some sympathy with him.  In simple terms look at Andy Carroll, ofcourse his move to LFC has hurt the Geordie fans, but he has gained respect certainly here at Liverpool and hopefully at Newcastle too by stating clearly where Newcastle is in his heart.

Agree.  Also, if he hadnt said a few weeks back that he was committed to the club, his reputation would be less tarnished.  If he hadn't handed in a transfer request three days before the close of the window, his reputation would be less tarnished.  If he had decided to leave at the end of the season, or left us last summer his reputation would be less tarnished.

He messed it up big time, and his comments after signing for that lot were a disaster.

Offline caronia

• Main Stander
  • SOS Membership Number:7348
« Reply #150 on: February 4, 2011, 06:22:15 am »
i'm still waiting for him to speak to us.

He won't, he's moved on. He seems to have that ability to compartmentalise his brain to focus on HIS next project.
The fact that we are hurting and want an explanation is of no interest to him.
Don't beat yourself up,do what he has done and put it behind you.

Offline PonderthePoint

• Anny Roader
  • All round the fields..
« Reply #151 on: February 4, 2011, 06:26:41 am »

Precisely.

Offline The Manhattan Project

• snood fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • I Have Become Death, The Destroyer Of Worlds
« Reply #152 on: February 4, 2011, 06:38:53 am »
Our first season without CL football for years, and Torres packs it in after just six months.

Well, let's find out how much of a contribution he made to our CL campaign last season

vs Debrecen = Didn't score
vs Fiorentina = Didn't score
vs Lyon = Didn't play
vs Lyon = Didn't score
vs Debrecen = Didn't play
vs Fiorentina = Didn't score

Well, thankyou for all your help oh great striker demanding new signings of your quality and stature

china syndrome 810512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 59118 identification unknown 113
source transmission 4121 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 0101505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 010414 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave

Offline smitalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #153 on: February 4, 2011, 06:42:27 am »
That People article that so many are relying on to show he lied about his commitment 3 weeks ago has been discredited as a fake. Paul Rogers of.tv has said the official site didn't run with it because they couldn't verify it. As far as they knew Torres hadn't given any interviews for month. The People have form for just making shit up.

What interests me about that is that the official site didn't run with an article from a current player saying he intended to stick things out. Because they weren't sure it was true. On or around 9 January.

So did the transfer request come that much out of the blue?

Offline Jonno_

• Main Stander
« Reply #154 on: February 4, 2011, 06:45:12 am »
By the time Fernando Torres actually signed his contract with Chelsea, there were less than 15 minutes of the transfer window remaining. But a tense and difficult day -- a tense and difficult few months -- finally ended well for Torres. He got what he wanted.

In the end the desire simply to leave -- and leave as soon as possible -- overshadowed all else.

And when Fernando Torres ill-advisedly used the phrase "big club" upon his arrival at Stamford Bridge, Liverpool supporters could hardly have been more annoyed, their pride pricked.

And yet with that phrase, Torres had actually uttered words of truth. His truth, for sure, but a truth. This move was not about money or betrayal. In fact, Torres himself felt betrayed. Wrongly, perhaps, but the sense of letdown was real.  He has certainly come out of this as the bad guy.

Even more bluntly, they weren't good enough for Torres. When he joined Liverpool, he looked up at the Anfield club. Now, he looked down at it and wondered what had happened. He could not see how he would win anything with Liverpool.

When the sale of the club went through at the High Court in the autumn, there was hope. There was a renewed sense of collectiveness about the club but some of the players did not necessarily share that. There was also frustration, originally sparked by the utter failure of the previous owners and still simmering. And those new hopes threatened to go unfulfilled. Under Roy Hodgson, a manager whose decisions Torres and other players could not understand, things were getting even worse on the pitch. Off the pitch, Liverpool's new owners were moving slowly. Sensibly, you might say.

Where, Torres asked himself, was the investment? His perspective became strikingly short-term, there was no patience: what, he asked, am I going to be doing for the rest of this season? Fighting off relegation? That's not what I signed up for.

The reason it all happened so late was simple: Chelsea feared that Manchester City would become involved and prompt an auction. It waited until City had signed Edin Dzeko, satisfying their striking needs, before making the bid. When Chelsea did, Liverpool told Torres. It would be naive to assume that Torres had no idea at all that there was a bid coming, that there had been sounding out whatsoever, no inkling of what was being cooked up. But he could not control it. Liverpool, for its part, could have turned it down flat and carried on regardless. Instead, it told the striker about the bid. To which he said: "OK, well let's negotiate, then."

Torres was not sure he would get another chance to move to a club as competitive as Chelsea. He had not initially anticipated the bid this winter. Now he was being presented with an opportunity. If he turned it down, he feared being trapped. Would that train pass through the station again? If he waited until the summer and there still wasn't any optimism at Liverpool, if he had endured a mediocre season, would anyone come in for him then? Would he be stuck? Between a Champions League campaign or a relegation battle, the choice was obvious -- if shortsighted. If Alonso and Mascherano had gone, why shouldn't he?

Torres had hoped for a negotiated departure. He had no interest in forcing an exit that brought flames to his shirt. Alonso remains popular. Going to Chelsea made that impossible for Torres but he hoped to be tolerated and understood.

Liverpool's owners, on the other hand, saw no reason why they should allow him to leave as a victim. A sale might not be a bad idea -- but on their terms. They were sensitive to the reaction of fans. They needed it to be clear that it was the players' fault, that they had had little choice but to sell, even if they wanted to. They would have preferred to keep him, for sure, but this was not a bad option. By revealing that there was a chance to leave and then taking it away, they flushed him out. They forced him to make the next, potentially damaging move.

That, certainly, was Torres' perception. He felt promises had been broken about investment and that there was little reason for optimism. There was just inertia. He felt that Liverpool should have convinced him to stay, enthused him with their plans. But they never did. Luis Suárez's arrival was viewed from the outside as a exactly that, as a gesture -- a symbol of the club's ambition. A way of convincing him. But it didn't: it was viewed by Torres merely as confirmation that they club were already counting on the money from his sale. That, in fact, given that he no longer appeared committed to the club, they didn't mind the idea of him moving on.

Make no mistake, Torres wanted that sale too and there was only one way to make it happen. He handed in a transfer request. The cards were on the table.
Ultimately, Torres got what he wanted: a move to Chelsea. But so did Liverpool's owners: they sold an unhappy player, raised £50 million in return, and had themselves a bad guy. They acted quickly and effectively to replace him, reinforcing their status in the eyes of the supporters. For just £8 million ($13M), they looked bold and ambitious where before it had been precisely the apparent lack of ambition and decisiveness -- or, perhaps more accurately, economic capability -- that hastened their demise. There were no U.S. flags burning this time as there had been under Gillet and Hicks -- the real villains in Liverpool's recent history. Instead, there was a Torres shirt.

Fernando Torres, Liverpool's No. 9. Now Chelsea's. It doesn't really have the same ring to it. He had become such an idol; now he is a fallen one, loathed where once he was loved. In the end, everyone was happy. But deep down, no one was

If you read this, mostly the bolded bits, its quite clear who instigated and masterminded all this. Torres. Not anyone at the club now. The blame falls squarely on Torres' shoulders. And I hope that the last line is true, I really hope he is not happy.

Offline Zapata316

• Kopite
  • Justice for the 96
« Reply #155 on: February 4, 2011, 06:45:28 am »
That People article that so many are relying on to show he lied about his commitment 3 weeks ago has been discredited as a fake. Paul Rogers of.tv has said the official site didn't run with it because they couldn't verify it. As far as they knew Torres hadn't given any interviews for month. The People have form for just making shit up.

What interests me about that is that the official site didn't run with an article from a current player saying he intended to stick things out. Because they weren't sure it was true. On or around 9 January.

So did the transfer request come that much out of the blue?

Even without that article, he still handed in a transfer request THREE days before the close of the window.  That's my problem with the whole situation.  I dont idolise players, so personally I'm not bothered about him leaving.  Players come, players go.  I am bothered in the manner that he left.

Offline Discipline

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: February 4, 2011, 06:49:57 am »
Torres did a mistake and he knows it too. LFC pushed him out towards the end though. 
Hating people because of their color is wrong. And it doesn't matter which color does the hating. It's just plain wrong.

Muhammad Ali

Offline RedMenace

• Kemlynite
« Reply #157 on: February 4, 2011, 06:50:24 am »
I believe if LFC wanted to sell then they would have put him on an auction early on and known full well that if Man City came to know they would have got top money for him (£50m+). LFC were always in a win win situation.

This deal was perfectly executed and orchestrated by CHELSEA and FT CAMP from a very long long time (summer).
Got it spot on, mate.  Best post of the thread.

The proper thing to do would be to turn in transfer request on Jan. 1, that would ensure that LFC get FULL value from the Torres sale -- the respectable thing to do.  But Torres didn't want that -- he wanted to conspire with Abramovich to shake down LFC and get out for as little money as possible.

Lucky for us, Torres/Abramovich didn't count on our U.S. owners being as shrewd as they are -- and still forcing Chelsea to pay 50m.  When Roman and the Torres camp hatched this scheme, I'll bet they thought he could get out for 35m!  Tossers.

Offline Sasquatch

• Veteran fingerer of the bad times
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm hairy and very very smelly
« Reply #158 on: February 4, 2011, 06:57:40 am »
I hate all this 'big club' nonsense.

Why don't people refer to the team anymore?

Have Chelsea been a better team than Liverpool over the past few years? Yes. I cannot argue that. Have they been a 'bigger' club? Of course not and they never will be. Trully 'Big' clubs have won the Champions League/European Cup. Multiple times.

If Torres had said "Chelsea are a better team and that's why I wanted to go there" I wouldn't be half as bothered but all this 'bigger club' nonsense really gets on my nerves. Even the media (who should know better) often cannot differentiate between 'team' and 'club'.

When Nottingham Forest were winning European Cups and the League Championship in the late 1970s and Man Utd weren't did that make them a 'bigger club' than Man Utd? No it didn't. Does that fact that Roma have been a better team than Juventus these last few years mean that Roma are a bigger club than Juventus? No it doesn't.

I wish all this 'big club' comparison would stop. Having a Russian billionaire can build you a very good team but that doesn't make you a bigger club than one of the true icons of world club football.

Offline Zapata316

• Kopite
  • Justice for the 96
« Reply #159 on: February 4, 2011, 07:05:13 am »
I hate all this 'big club' nonsense.

Why don't people refer to the team anymore?

Have Chelsea been a better team than Liverpool over the past few years? Yes. I cannot argue that. Have they been a 'bigger' club? Of course not and they never will be. Trully 'Big' clubs have won the Champions League/European Cup. Multiple times.

If Torres had said "Chelsea are a better team and that's why I wanted to go there" I wouldn't be half as bothered but all this 'bigger club' nonsense really gets on my nerves. Even the media (who should know better) often cannot differentiate between 'team' and 'club'.

When Nottingham Forest were winning European Cups and the League Championship in the late 1970s and Man Utd weren't did that make them a 'bigger club' than Man Utd? No it didn't. Does that fact that Roma have been a better team than Juventus these last few years mean that Roma are a bigger club than Juventus? No it doesn't.

I wish all this 'big club' comparison would stop. Having a Russian billionaire can build you a very good team but that doesn't make you a bigger club than one of the true icons of world club football.

True