Author Topic: Merseyrail - now with added 777  (Read 55400 times)

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
Re: Merseyrail - now with added 777
« Reply #640 on: January 17, 2024, 12:31:26 pm »
The train that was wrapped in the retro livery, is that still in service?

I got it into town a few days ago from Hunts cross to Southport. Not sure how regular it is running

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #641 on: January 17, 2024, 12:34:44 pm »
Any idea why trains are struggling so much with Headbolt Lane?

Is it literally because the battery packs on the new trains are failing between Kirkby and Headbolt Lane?

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #642 on: January 17, 2024, 03:24:34 pm »
I got it into town a few days ago from Hunts cross to Southport. Not sure how regular it is running

Cheers mate, nice one
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #643 on: January 17, 2024, 06:56:06 pm »
Any idea why trains are struggling so much with Headbolt Lane?

Is it literally because the battery packs on the new trains are failing between Kirkby and Headbolt Lane?

A bit more information but doesn’t make things clearer;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-68006861

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #644 on: January 17, 2024, 07:01:06 pm »
A bit more information but doesn’t make things clearer;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-68006861

This was the first thing that popped into my head when the question was first raised.

The very first 777s were robustly tested back around 2019/20 - they had to do 1500 miles on the network each. And Merseyrail were confident the battery trains (777/1 for those interested) could do at least 20 miles on unelectrified (or at least non third rail) track.

I'm guessing the earlier battery trains that were delivered performed to expectations, but subsequent trains have fallen way short of expectations in terms of reliability. They will have the range, but that's pointless if you can't get them to run.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #645 on: January 24, 2024, 10:37:01 am »
Tree on the line at Aigburth so no trains operating between Liverpool Central & Hunts Cross
#Sausages

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #646 on: January 24, 2024, 11:36:51 am »
Tree on the line at Aigburth so no trains operating between Liverpool Central & Hunts Cross
That'll be the Branch Line.

:-[ sorry.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #647 on: January 24, 2024, 01:24:28 pm »

Hopefully it’ll be cleared by tomorrow as I’m planning on going to my sister’s via Cressington.

Otherwise it’s the 82.

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #648 on: January 24, 2024, 01:57:01 pm »
Hopefully it’ll be cleared by tomorrow as I’m planning on going to my sister’s via Cressington.

Otherwise it’s the 82.

Might have to leaf early...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #649 on: January 24, 2024, 02:58:10 pm »
That'll be the Branch Line.

:-[ sorry.

Leave it leave it
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #650 on: January 24, 2024, 03:00:06 pm »

Popcorn's Art

Offline Johnny Foreigner

• King of the Trabbies. Major Mod Thruster.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #651 on: January 25, 2024, 12:42:37 pm »
A small question for the local experts; evening match anfield – early morning flight manchester – expensive hotels both places (city centre and airport). Any recommendations for possible routes from Sandhills towards the airport with a inexpensive stop en-route ?
It’s not even about individuality, it’s about the team. Our game was based on his controlling of the tempo. Squeeze the life out of the opposition and then strike. That is our game. Like a pack of pythons.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #652 on: January 25, 2024, 01:21:35 pm »
A small question for the local experts; evening match anfield – early morning flight manchester – expensive hotels both places (city centre and airport). Any recommendations for possible routes from Sandhills towards the airport with a inexpensive stop en-route ?

You could try Lymm services, mate of mine stayed there after a CL game one year when he couldn't get a hotel in town. Train from Lime Street to Oxford Road - get off at Birchwood, 5 mins in a taxi from there to Lymm and then its 10/15 mins from there to Manc airport
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Johnny Foreigner

• King of the Trabbies. Major Mod Thruster.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #653 on: January 25, 2024, 01:26:24 pm »
You could try Lymm services, mate of mine stayed there after a CL game one year when he couldn't get a hotel in town. Train from Lime Street to Oxford Road - get off at Birchwood, 5 mins in a taxi from there to Lymm and then its 10/15 mins from there to Manc airport

Thanks ! Will look into that !
It’s not even about individuality, it’s about the team. Our game was based on his controlling of the tempo. Squeeze the life out of the opposition and then strike. That is our game. Like a pack of pythons.

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #654 on: January 25, 2024, 02:31:24 pm »
Thanks ! Will look into that !

There's also a PentaHotel (never heard of them) right by Birchwood Station  https://www.pentahotels.com/hotels/united-kingdom/warrington  if you can't get into this one at Lymm https://warringtonm6motel.com/
Jurgen YNWA

Offline moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #655 on: February 2, 2024, 08:15:28 am »
Can anyone confirm this for me - I was told that back in the 70s when Merseyrail was being developed, there was a gap between Aigburth and town as well as in funding- some bright spark suggested St.Michaels to be reopened (station was there but closed down) and found the right person at Marks and Spencer and in tribute to their brand name they agreed to fund the renovation of the station. So not just any station. An M&S station.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #656 on: February 2, 2024, 08:20:19 am »
Can anyone confirm this for me - I was told that back in the 70s when Merseyrail was being developed, there was a gap between Aigburth and town as well as in funding- some bright spark suggested St.Michaels to be reopened (station was there but closed down) and found the right person at Marks and Spencer and in tribute to their brand name they agreed to fund the renovation of the station. So not just any station. An M&S station.

Quick look on Wiki

History
The station opened in 1864 as part of the Garston and Liverpool Railway line between Brunswick and Garston Dock. In 1865 the station and line were incorporated into the Cheshire Lines Committee.

The station closed in 1972 but reopened in 1978 as part of the Kirkby–Garston line of the Merseyrail system. The reopening of the station was part-funded by Marks and Spencer, because of that company's use of the "St Michael" brand; this is recognised by a plaque at the site. Services were extended from Garston to Hunts Cross in 1983, and diverted to Southport instead of Kirkby in 1984.

From 11 December 2006 the Monday-Saturday evening service was increased to run every 15 minutes, instead of half-hourly as previously.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Michaels_railway_station
#Sausages

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #657 on: February 2, 2024, 09:12:40 am »

Well that’s interesting. I was at St Michael’s yesterday on the way to Lark Lane so next time we are out that way I’ll let my mates know.

Unless I forget. :D

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #658 on: February 2, 2024, 10:30:09 am »
Never knew that. St Michaels is my local station. I'll be sure to check for the plaque!

Popcorn's Art

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #659 on: February 2, 2024, 11:33:15 am »
Never knew that. St Michaels is my local station. I'll be sure to check for the plaque!

Post a photo!

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #660 on: February 2, 2024, 02:54:02 pm »
Guess what, a 777 has failed between Hunts Cross & Liverpool South Parkway, that no trains are operating Liverpool Central-Hunts Cross, it, seems like the 777 has broken down around West Junction [Allerton] & is blocking all main line services operating via Warrington Central too.
#Sausages

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #661 on: February 2, 2024, 03:15:58 pm »
^ yes just saw that, hope they can get it sorted - rush hour Friday !

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #662 on: February 2, 2024, 05:50:08 pm »
Post a photo!

I'll do my best, but I have to find the bloody thing first!  ;D

Popcorn's Art

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #663 on: February 2, 2024, 07:03:03 pm »
Guess what, a 777 has failed between Hunts Cross & Liverpool South Parkway, that no trains are operating Liverpool Central-Hunts Cross, it, seems like the 777 has broken down around West Junction [Allerton] & is blocking all main line services operating via Warrington Central too.

It’s expected to be sorted by 10pm.

I’ve never noticed so many breakdowns.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #664 on: February 2, 2024, 07:12:40 pm »
Bloody hell, the trains have batteries to move them around the maintenance areas. Not like the battery powered units, but should be enough to at least move it to clear the line. Must be a heck of a failure. Don't we have a diesel powered recovery loco?

Popcorn's Art

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #665 on: February 2, 2024, 07:42:11 pm »
Been broken down since 11 this morning and only now off the line.

They've really fucked up today. No apologies, no investigation, no compensation (they will void day this one to avoid dropping below 91% punctuality).

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #666 on: February 3, 2024, 04:58:22 am »
Bloody hell, the trains have batteries to move them around the maintenance areas. Not like the battery powered units, but should be enough to at least move it to clear the line. Must be a heck of a failure. Don't we have a diesel powered recovery loco?

Apparently it was a Driver's Safety Device issue, so the train couldn't move regardless of the power source, but a couple more 777s failed yesterday too.
#Sausages

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #667 on: February 3, 2024, 11:59:48 am »
Apparently it was a Driver's Safety Device issue, so the train couldn't move regardless of the power source, but a couple more 777s failed yesterday too.

Let's hope it's a common issue amongst the trains, rather than different things going wrong in each of them. I've not travelled on them much beyond the Chester line. I've not had any issues yet thankfully. Not surprised they delayed introducing them to the Northern Line as long as possible.

Popcorn's Art

Offline RedDeadRejection

• Kopite
« Reply #668 on: February 3, 2024, 03:21:13 pm »
Let's hope it's a common issue amongst the trains, rather than different things going wrong in each of them. I've not travelled on them much beyond the Chester line. I've not had any issues yet thankfully. Not surprised they delayed introducing them to the Northern Line as long as possible.

It's standard for things to go wrong at first when bringing in new traction. Once bedded in I'm hopeful they will iron out the kinks.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #669 on: February 3, 2024, 03:38:07 pm »
It's standard for things to go wrong at first when bringing in new traction. Once bedded in I'm hopeful they will iron out the kinks.

Yeah. As annoying and as frustrating these failures and disruptions are, once the trains have been running for 20 years without a problem nobody will remember the teething troubles.

I don't recall any issues with the 507s or 508s when they came out, but there was no internet to highlight individual failures either.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #670 on: February 13, 2024, 07:53:27 pm »
So it looks like the last 508 was withdrawn at the start of the year.

Found some interesting tidbits about the the 508s. Although newer than the 507s, the latter had more modern air compressors. The same air compressors couldn't be used on 508s because they could only be used on a maximum three car train. As built, the 508s were four car units, so they were fitted with an older type of air compressor scrounged from older trains.

When the 508s were transferred to Merseyrail, they had a carriage removed. The spare carriages were inserted into trains on the Southeastern network.  Think I saw a couple when I was on the way to Portsmouth last year - they have a lower profile than the surrounding carriages.

Apparently the air compressor on a 508 made a distinct chugging sound, which distinguished them from the one on a 507. The fact the air compressors were scavenged from an older class of train might explain whey they were withdrawn first, even though the 507s are a good five years older.

Popcorn's Art

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #671 on: February 14, 2024, 04:02:30 pm »
The service is pathetic at the moment two days running they have taken the train out of service that I get. Not one word of explanation and nothing shows on the timetable at all. As a service they are going to the dogs, can't wait until I am cycling again and I won't have to use them.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #672 on: February 14, 2024, 08:31:18 pm »
The service is pathetic at the moment two days running they have taken the train out of service that I get. Not one word of explanation and nothing shows on the timetable at all. As a service they are going to the dogs, can't wait until I am cycling again and I won't have to use them.

You can tell it's really bad when Rotherham has stepped in and set aside £250k for compensation and then froze the March rail fare rise for 6 months.

Obviously the mayoral elections in May has nothing to do with it  ::)

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #673 on: February 23, 2024, 06:00:09 pm »
Amidst all the annoyance at the current state of the service, here's a lighter video.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Av9DSO2P7bk&amp;ab_channel=Merseywail" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Av9DSO2P7bk&amp;ab_channel=Merseywail</a>

Popcorn's Art

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #674 on: February 23, 2024, 07:25:33 pm »
#Sausages

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #675 on: February 23, 2024, 08:24:11 pm »
Fucking scumbags.

Popcorn's Art

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #676 on: February 23, 2024, 10:12:50 pm »
So many of them around unfortunately.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #677 on: March 14, 2024, 02:19:58 pm »
Just saw that the last Class 503 train has had two carriages scrapped, leaving one drive car as an orphan and going into deep storage.

I can only assume those two carriages were beyond saving, or that the trust couldn't afford to store/preserve the whole train. Gutted to hear this. :(

Popcorn's Art

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #678 on: March 14, 2024, 06:08:06 pm »
That's a pity, I know one of the overhead railway carriages is in the Museum of Liverpool but as a kid I remember the (world) Museum also had a number of trains on display but have no idea if any of them are still there since the museum was updated. Doesn't seem to be an accessible area anymore.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #679 on: March 14, 2024, 06:52:57 pm »
That's a pity, I know one of the overhead railway carriages is in the Museum of Liverpool but as a kid I remember the (world) Museum also had a number of trains on display but have no idea if any of them are still there since the museum was updated. Doesn't seem to be an accessible area anymore.

No, the transport section that used to be in the museum is no longer available. The overhead railway carriage and Lion were transferred to the Museum of Liverpool, but I'm assuming most of everything else was taken into storage.

On a side bar, Merseyrail absolutely sucked balls today. 12.30 to Southport was cancelled on the Northern line, so I had to get the bus into town for the New Brighton train. Then coming back, the 4.23 AND 4.38 were both cancelled. A 777 came in, let off its passengers, and we all got on board - only to be asked 2 minutes later to leave the train as they attempted to fix an unspecified fault.

The way the driver was bullshitting the passengers, telling them they were hoping to get the train working again in 10 minutes stuck in my craw. I knew he was just stalling, waiting for the next train to come in so we would all have to board that instead. Would have been quicker for me to get the bus back.

Popcorn's Art