Author Topic: Premier League to block owners guilty of human rights abuses under new rules  (Read 2279 times)

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
Beefed-up regulations approved by top flight’s clubs
Prospective directors can be blocked if under investigation

Premier League clubs have approved tougher measures for its owners’ and directors’ test that would bar anyone found to have committed human rights abuses from owning a club.

At a meeting of English top-flight club shareholders on Thursday, amendments to the test were agreed, including a number of new “disqualifying events”. Human rights abusers – based on the Global Human Rights Sanctions Regulations – and people subject to government sanctions will not be allowed to be owners or directors, and the list of criminal offences that would result in disqualification has been widen to include those guilty of violence, fraud, corruption, tax evasion and hate crimes.

The new rules, which will take effect immediately, are regarded as tougher than the independent regulator proposals. Anyone under investigation for any of the “disqualifying events” would be prevented from becoming a director.

Owners and directors in situ will be reviewed as part of annual due diligence, to ensure compliance with the updated rules.

The league voted to widen the group of regulatory authorities where an existing suspension would result in disqualification, to include the Charity Commission, the Financial Conduct Authority, the Prudential Conduct Authority and HMRC.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/mar/30/premier-league-block-owners-guilty-human-rights-abuses-new-rules
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
Unless the owners of Abu Dhabi and Saudi FC are kicked out I won't hold my breath. Although the United fans praying for Qatar might be a little upset.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
Something about a horse and bolt

Offline Bullet500

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Will it have any effect on Qatar x United?

Online JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Luckily for Newcastle, they are not owned by the human rights abusing state of Saudi Arabia, and also Man City, who are not owned by the human rights abusing state of Abu Dhabi , just owned by a private individual who just happens to be deputy prime minister and a prominent member of the ruling family.

If the PL don’t tell these to both fuck off then the new rule is worthless.

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
It'd be absolutely terrible and unbelievable if any human rights violating brutal regime ever owned a Premier League football club,i tells ya.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Something about a zebra and bolt

Fixed.

Offline BigCDump

• Legacy Fan
  • Let's Klopp Til' We Drop
Worst attempt at smoke and mirrors, ever.  ::)
Nineteen Six. Believe it now, baby!

Online JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
It'd be absolutely terrible and unbelievable if any human rights violating brutal regime ever owned a Premier League football club,i tells ya.
The PL would never allow it. Infact, I’m sure they would demand legally binding assurances to make sure.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
Luckily for Newcastle, they are not owned by the human rights abusing state of Saudi Arabia, and also Man City, who are not owned by the human rights abusing state of Abu Dhabi , just owned by a private individual who just happens to be deputy prime minister and a prominent member of the ruling family.

If the PL don’t tell these to both fuck off then the new rule is worthless.
Looks like it wouldn't matter if they just came out and said they were

'From what I can see this would not affect Saudi's Crown Prince Mohamed Bin Salman, Qatar's or UAE rulers etc as they are not on the UK government's list of people sanctioned for human rights abuses: docs.fcdo.gov.uk/docs/UK-Sancti…'
https://twitter.com/martynziegler/status/1641443748549914631?t=3NFOqUiTyUVyHkae4Kp0Pw&s=19

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
At this point the rule might as well be 'Unless you're Vladimir Putin you can buy a club'
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
The PL would never allow it. Infact, I’m sure the government stooge appointed to push the deal through would demand legally binding a warm cup of cocoa and vague assurances to make sure.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Beefed-up regulations approved by top flight’s clubs
Prospective directors can be blocked if under investigation

Premier League clubs have approved tougher measures for its owners’ and directors’ test that would bar anyone found to have committed human rights abuses from owning a club.

At a meeting of English top-flight club shareholders on Thursday, amendments to the test were agreed, including a number of new “disqualifying events”. Human rights abusers – based on the Global Human Rights Sanctions Regulations – and people subject to government sanctions will not be allowed to be owners or directors, and the list of criminal offences that would result in disqualification has been widen to include those guilty of violence, fraud, corruption, tax evasion and hate crimes.

The new rules, which will take effect immediately, are regarded as tougher than the independent regulator proposals. Anyone under investigation for any of the “disqualifying events” would be prevented from becoming a director.

Owners and directors in situ will be reviewed as part of annual due diligence, to ensure compliance with the updated rules.

The league voted to widen the group of regulatory authorities where an existing suspension would result in disqualification, to include the Charity Commission, the Financial Conduct Authority, the Prudential Conduct Authority and HMRC.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/mar/30/premier-league-block-owners-guilty-human-rights-abuses-new-rules

Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
Pandora and box spring to mind.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
I’m sure they’d manage to sneak Man Utd’s new ownership in if it ends up being Qatar.

I don’t trust the PL to do anything right. They have had no issue with dodgy owners for a long long time. Happy to turn a blind eye to so much so long as their product is ‘the best’.

To do this, but still have Abu Dhabi and Saudi owning teams like it’s just not even the slightest big deal, is sort of pathetic.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
For this to have any credibility whatsoever we surely have to say goodbye to Abu Dhabi FC and Saudicastle. Any Qatari bid for the Mancs has to be blocked now too.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
Looks like it wouldn't matter if they just came out and said they were

'From what I can see this would not affect Saudi's Crown Prince Mohamed Bin Salman, Qatar's or UAE rulers etc as they are not on the UK government's list of people sanctioned for human rights abuses: docs.fcdo.gov.uk/docs/UK-Sancti…'
https://twitter.com/martynziegler/status/1641443748549914631?t=3NFOqUiTyUVyHkae4Kp0Pw&s=19
Is that because we need their oil?
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
Kind of funny what the threat of a person being put in charge that may possibly not have the PL's best interest in mind will make them do. The bottom 10 teams love of parachute payments may doom them anyway if the reporting is anywhere near accurate.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Load of horseshit if the owners of Saudi FC and Abu Dhabi FC are allowed to continue
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Online BOBSCOUSE

• Awestruck admirer of the families, YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Load of horseshit if the owners of Saudi FC and Abu Dhabi FC are allowed to continue

They'll continue to front-up with some pandering quim, plough money in through totally unconnected sponsors, pay employees through 3rd (and probably 4th) parties and other means of cheating whilst carrying on running their countries in a totally independent and human-rights abusing manner.  No connection between the scummy wankers and the clubs they own their mates own.
JFT96
Here comes retribution motherfuckers!

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
What can they even do & it's hardly a secret about some of the owners.

Offline McSquared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Pointless rule change if it can be circumvented using an individual as a front

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
For this to have any credibility whatsoever we surely have to say goodbye to Abu Dhabi FC and Saudicastle. Any Qatari bid for the Mancs has to be blocked now too.

Spot on.

All that will happen is what is already happening, teams will will just say, as happend with Newcastle, it’s not the actual state that is buying them, but a private company or individual who happens to be from that country with no links to the rulers. And all will be fine, they won’t even question it.

How can anyone trust the PL to actually do this the right way.

Online BOBSCOUSE

• Awestruck admirer of the families, YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
You'd at least think there is a path to doing something with Newcastle on the back of this rule change, seeing what happened with the LIV golf case in the US.  Clear connection made to the head-chopping fuckers - no doubt the PL will fail to establish a firm link though.
JFT96
Here comes retribution motherfuckers!

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Way too late. Let them all in, then make sure no more come in? Fuck off.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
Unbelievably pathetic story.  The idea is that a set of monsters could turn up and nobody would be able to do anything about it because it wasn’t expressly mentioned in the premier league rules?  That’s what they’re asking us to believe, right?

Offline TankEngine10

• Anny Roader
This is the most ridiculously transparent bit of PR since the last time some wankers in charge did this. Last week maybe.

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
Pointless rule change if it can be circumvented using an individual as a front

A visual interpretation of the proposed new rule.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Whatever ....

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Token gesture that will only serve to highlight the how spineless PL is. Nothing will ever come of it.

Offline decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
Trying to gain some PR points with this meaningless shite makes me even more sceptical about the prospects of anything sticking in the Man City charges. Ultimately PL wants to look like it's doing stuff without actually doing any of it. Meanwhile football dies on its hole.

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
Load of meaningless bollocks from a bunch of gutless, gullible fuckers trying to act tough.
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Have there been any recent rumours about a middle east state being interested in bidding for us, that seems like the only thing that would encourage the PL to introduce such a rule.

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
Have there been any recent rumours about a middle east state being interested in bidding for us, that seems like the only thing that would encourage the PL to introduce such a rule.

Fans from everywhere else will think that's bullshit Scouse paranoia but I reckon it's spot on.
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
I am going to put this story in here, as its a report on football's Independent Regulator.  A number of Premier League clubs (the number is growing) are angry that nothing was put in to question the state ownership issue. According to Delaney's report they intend to raise it at the next shareholders meeting.

There is also a political angle here, the Premier League is desperate to put it in motion while the Tories are in power as they fear Labour would strengthen the proposal. Which tells you everything you need to know about those who run the national game.  ::)

https://t.co/LtTPkMcd3h
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"