Author Topic: What mobile phone?  (Read 872702 times)

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
Re: What mobile phone?
« Reply #8600 on: September 14, 2023, 11:27:43 am »

I have a Macbook Pro M2 and iPad Air so it's logical I complete the circle with the iPhone.

Well, that is the "walled garden" approach with Apple - the more Apple stuff you own, the better it works with eachother

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #8601 on: September 14, 2023, 12:14:26 pm »
Well, that is the "walled garden" approach with Apple - the more Apple stuff you own, the better it works with eachother

To be fair Samsung is great at this too. My Samsung S22+ plus the Tablet work great together, as well as with my Samsung TV, everything is very effortless BUT the key point is Android does it almost as well with Windows too, etc whereby Apple really gatekeeps on just Apple stuff which I highly dislike.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #8602 on: September 14, 2023, 12:29:16 pm »
whilst I love the camera on my Pixel 7 Pro, the battery life and speed of device lets me down too ofe.

I've got the same issue.

There's a few other little quirks to add to the pitiful battery and slow speed that has made me proper hate my Pixel Pro.

I'll just go to another Android option (although there seems less options these days) as I don't like iOS (my work phone is an iPhone)
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8603 on: September 14, 2023, 01:30:28 pm »
I’ll be pre-ordering the 15 Pro Max tomorrow, purely as my contract is almost up and I can upgrade for free plus get £500 cash to sell my current IPhone 13 Pro Max.

I usually just upgrade when my contract allows me a free upgrade which is once every two years, I think this is the first time it’s fallen in line with a new release.

Online Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8604 on: September 14, 2023, 06:41:27 pm »
The first four games that are getting native ports for the iPhone 15 pro are Resident Evil 4, Death Stranding, Resident Evil Village and Assassin's Creed Mirage.

We have an Xbox and PS5 at home so it's not something that immediately appeals to me, but I am kinda curious about how far this goes, the Pro Max screen is bigger than the original Switch and I played the shit out of that.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8605 on: September 18, 2023, 07:51:44 am »
It's three years usually for me, the issue I have is that my 12 pro is in incredibly good nick and I wasn't even considering replacing it until the 15 pro appeared on my screen yesterday. Looked up trade in and it's £300, which isn't terrible. I don't know why I'm trying to justify it when I know it's pure consumerism but I also want a new Mac (which is more pressing than a phone but not immediately) so fml it's gonna be expensive.

I would stick with the 12 pro. The 15 isn’t much different to the 14 or 13. I would like to think to 16 will be different to the 15 and miles better. £300 for your 12 isn’t bad but I just don’t see the 15 being worth the money.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8606 on: September 18, 2023, 12:08:32 pm »
I would stick with the 12 pro. The 15 isn’t much different to the 14 or 13. I would like to think to 16 will be different to the 15 and miles better. £300 for your 12 isn’t bad but I just don’t see the 15 being worth the money.

Yeah, I've calmed down now and thinking I'll wait on it until after October releases as Mac is more important.

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8607 on: September 18, 2023, 01:44:10 pm »
If I have a dual sim phone with Whatsapp on it, registered using my phone number (Sim 1). Can I use the data from Sim 2 to use Whatsapp when out and about?

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8608 on: September 19, 2023, 08:52:16 am »
If I have a dual sim phone with Whatsapp on it, registered using my phone number (Sim 1). Can I use the data from Sim 2 to use Whatsapp when out and about?

I believe it is only tied to the phone number when registered / activated, so if Whatsapp is up and running it'll rely on whatever kind of connection you have, so, data, sure. I mean, that's how it works on wifi... it's not tied to the SIM there

Caveat that I haven't tried it

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8609 on: September 19, 2023, 10:58:50 am »
I believe it is only tied to the phone number when registered / activated, so if Whatsapp is up and running it'll rely on whatever kind of connection you have, so, data, sure. I mean, that's how it works on wifi... it's not tied to the SIM there

Caveat that I haven't tried it
Thanks, will give it a go

Offline y2w902

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8610 on: September 19, 2023, 12:49:12 pm »
It's three years usually for me, the issue I have is that my 12 pro is in incredibly good nick and I wasn't even considering replacing it until the 15 pro appeared on my screen yesterday. Looked up trade in and it's £300, which isn't terrible. I don't know why I'm trying to justify it when I know it's pure consumerism but I also want a new Mac (which is more pressing than a phone but not immediately) so fml it's gonna be expensive.

Claire, whatever you do, don't take the trade in price. You can get better from Music Magpie or Mazuma.

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #8611 on: September 19, 2023, 01:16:39 pm »

It will, yes. Just like WiFi or if you connect to someone else's data hotspot
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8612 on: September 21, 2023, 09:45:45 am »
15 Pro pricing isn't too bad so will upgrade from 12 Mini to 15 Pro.

Online Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8613 on: September 21, 2023, 03:59:53 pm »
15 Pro pricing isn't too bad so will upgrade from 12 Mini to 15 Pro.

When you consider inflation I guess it’s actually cheaper than the 14 pro line.  Wasn’t expecting that.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #8614 on: September 22, 2023, 07:32:00 am »
I have decided to try the Pixel 7a phone. I just want to try something new and get away from Apple as I am getting sick of dealing with them now and their horrible pricing.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8615 on: September 22, 2023, 08:49:48 am »
Apple's pricing is quite reasonable with the 15 line, cheaper than the comparative Samsung handsets, the iPhone 15 is £50 cheaper than the Pixel 7 pro was at launch (and that phone was anything but 'pro')

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8616 on: September 22, 2023, 10:02:40 am »
I've been Apple since the iPhone 3G which was what? About 2008? I dabbled with Android once in that time with a HTC Sensation probably around 2011 and have been back with iOS ever since. The kit just works, and the software just works, and it works out of the box too with minimal setup.

One of the kids had a Fire Tablet a few years back, we've had Sony TV's running Android plus a couple of Fire TV Sticks. Anything Android based we've had at home I've always found buggy, a bit slow and just generally nowhere near as polished as iOS is.

Offline Ben S

• Remember we were partners in crime. Pigeon Fancier. GTL Bus Freak. Also known as Bambi, apparently - or Miss Kitty on Wednesdays....
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #8617 on: September 22, 2023, 11:45:30 am »
Had iPhone for work back in 2009 and 2010. Was shit out the box to the point I told them I wasn't having another and to deal with it.
Frankly, I thought the shitty windows mobile Samsung Omnia was better.
But the iPhone looked pretty...

As for the HTC Sensation,  it was probably one of HTCs worst phones and the reason they fell from grace.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8618 on: September 22, 2023, 02:54:20 pm »
Apple's pricing is quite reasonable with the 15 line, cheaper than the comparative Samsung handsets, the iPhone 15 is £50 cheaper than the Pixel 7 pro was at launch (and that phone was anything but 'pro')

The deals I have seen are poor. I am not looking for the up to date all singing Apple. I just want a phone I can contact people with and take the occasional photo. I was getting so frustrated with iTunes and every time it updated stuff would disappear off my phone. I presently have an iPhone 7 and if anything I would have preferred another one.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #8619 on: September 22, 2023, 03:20:35 pm »
I don't think you really need itunes anymore.

The iPhones can update/restore e.t.c without the use of a computer,  I haven't connected mine to one in about 3 years.

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #8620 on: September 22, 2023, 04:05:10 pm »

On the other hand you get frequent discounting with the Samsung sets, actually 15 pro max pricing looks pretty identical to s23 ultra base pricing.

Swings and roundabouts from there, better discount on Samsung, better trade in on iphone.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2023, 04:18:29 pm by filopastry »

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8621 on: September 22, 2023, 05:08:30 pm »
Had iPhone for work back in 2009 and 2010. Was shit out the box to the point I told them I wasn't having another and to deal with it.

As for the HTC Sensation,  it was probably one of HTCs worst phones and the reason they fell from grace.

My experience is similar. I've had to use iPhones at work and have had more problems with them than the Android devices I've personally owned. The Samsung Galaxy series was good to me. Had the S7 edge for 5 years and when the battery would no longer last me the day and the security updates stopped, I moved over to the Pixels. Currently have the Pixel 7 (not the pro) and don't plan to upgrade anytime soon.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8622 on: September 22, 2023, 05:18:44 pm »
Ive a Samsung S21 on an EE contract and am gonna be travelling for a bit in October and the destinations don't have a roaming plan so would be too expensive. Wondering if anyone has experience with any sims or esims (not used this before, but seems pretty widespread) on their main phone without having to take out their normal sim/use a burner? Is it easy enough to manage?

separate but sort of related, does anyone have any recommendations or general tips about some reliable and not too expensive providers of data sims? cheers in advance!

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8623 on: September 22, 2023, 06:50:05 pm »
My experience is similar. I've had to use iPhones at work and have had more problems with them than the Android devices I've personally owned. The Samsung Galaxy series was good to me. Had the S7 edge for 5 years and when the battery would no longer last me the day and the security updates stopped, I moved over to the Pixels. Currently have the Pixel 7 (not the pro) and don't plan to upgrade anytime soon.

How are you finding the Pixel 7? I have just ordered a 7A and looking forward to trying a new phone. I have managed to get a good deal with O2 which I am happy with and should get the phone tomorrow.

Online Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8624 on: September 22, 2023, 09:52:46 pm »

I just had a dig through my 'obsolete tech' cupboard and I still have my HTC M8 in there, actually think that may be in my top three handsets of all time, absolutely beautiful phone and perfect in the hand, a time before phones got too big.

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8625 on: September 23, 2023, 12:33:41 am »
How are you finding the Pixel 7? I have just ordered a 7A and looking forward to trying a new phone. I have managed to get a good deal with O2 which I am happy with and should get the phone tomorrow.
I have the pixel 6 and have been very happy with it Bar the slow charging but coming straight from apple that won't be an issue. Last iPhone I had was the 3gs but have had ipads for years.

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8626 on: September 23, 2023, 07:57:28 am »

Had it almost 1 year now and it's been absolutely fine. No issues. Slick stock android. Got it straight from Google at launch for £599 and they included the Pixel Pro Buds which are really good. I didn't see any great value in paying more for the Pro version (extra £250 if I remember correctly), but I think a lot of people chose that because you could get the Pixel watch instead of the buds.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8627 on: September 23, 2023, 08:40:13 am »
I have the pixel 6 and have been very happy with it Bar the slow charging but coming straight from apple that won't be an issue. Last iPhone I had was the 3gs but have had ipads for years.

Had it almost 1 year now and it's been absolutely fine. No issues. Slick stock android. Got it straight from Google at launch for £599 and they included the Pixel Pro Buds which are really good. I didn't see any great value in paying more for the Pro version (extra £250 if I remember correctly), but I think a lot of people chose that because you could get the Pixel watch instead of the buds.

Sounds all good then, thanks for that.

Offline Ben S

• Remember we were partners in crime. Pigeon Fancier. GTL Bus Freak. Also known as Bambi, apparently - or Miss Kitty on Wednesdays....
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #8628 on: September 23, 2023, 10:13:14 pm »
I just had a dig through my 'obsolete tech' cupboard and I still have my HTC M8 in there, actually think that may be in my top three handsets of all time, absolutely beautiful phone and perfect in the hand, a time before phones got too big.

My last HTC was the desire HD. Thought it was a great phone although had a HTC sensation for work after that and basically it wasn't really any better than the DHD. Awful phone really sluggish and slow.

Moved onto Samsung Note 2 and 4 after than the. Huawei P20 pro. Kept that a few years was a seriously good phone but obviously Huawei became pointless with the Google ban.

On S22 Ultra now will keep it a few more years hopefully as it does everything I need it to and the built in telescope sometimes comes in handy.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8629 on: September 24, 2023, 06:58:44 pm »
Well so far, I am really enjoying the Pixel 7A, it's a lovely looking phone and appears to have more space on the number/letters on the phone which is really useful. It seems to have easily transferred over now as well, so I can't wait to get started with it now.

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8630 on: September 25, 2023, 12:16:13 pm »
My last HTC was the desire HD. Thought it was a great phone although had a HTC sensation for work after that and basically it wasn't really any better than the DHD. Awful phone really sluggish and slow.

Moved onto Samsung Note 2 and 4 after than the. Huawei P20 pro. Kept that a few years was a seriously good phone but obviously Huawei became pointless with the Google ban.

On S22 Ultra now will keep it a few more years hopefully as it does everything I need it to and the built in telescope sometimes comes in handy.
The HTC HD2 was superb and you could flash it with pretty much any mobile OS.  It came with Windows Mobile 6.5 but it could also run Windows 7/8 and Android. Also had the One X which was nobbled by the Nvidia chipset which was really disappointing after the HD2. It's a shame what happened to HTC!
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8631 on: October 7, 2023, 04:06:56 pm »
Where's the best place to buy a 2nd hand/reconditioned/pre owned phone?

I've a SIM only deal and really don't want to back to paying £40/£50/£60 a month for 2yrs on a contract for a new phone.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8632 on: October 7, 2023, 07:08:32 pm »

I've a SIM only deal and really don't want to back to paying £40/£50/£60 a month for 2yrs on a contract for a new phone.

https://www.giffgaff.com/mobile-phones/refurbished?sort=price-asc

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8634 on: October 7, 2023, 08:09:29 pm »

Shout to to humble ol' CEX too

Offline red annie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #8635 on: November 3, 2023, 08:28:16 pm »
Claire, whatever you do, don't take the trade in price. You can get better from Music Magpie or Mazuma.

Thanks for this. Didn't know about Mazuma at all. Just got a decent price for my iPhone 12 Pro Max. really good service and much better than the trade in.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #8636 on: November 21, 2023, 12:17:35 pm »

I've got a Pixel 6 Pro, and I've grown to really dislike it.

The battery struggles to get through a day without a top-up charge. And charging is slow. Predictive text is dumb (and won't kick in if you're putting a word in apostrophes). If there's a 'super macro' setting on the camera, it's bloody well-hidden. It didn't come with the normal gallery app where it saves all your photos to, only Google Photos (downloaded what looked like the normal Android gallery app, but it's fucked with ads). I don't like the way apps are arranged (I used to group apps on different pages)

Worst of all are the glitches. I have to restart the phone at least once a week because something's stopped working.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #8637 on: November 21, 2023, 12:21:38 pm »

Had it too and would agree with everything you say

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8638 on: January 17, 2024, 11:33:50 pm »
Thinking about getting the s24 plus to replace my pixel 6. Trade in they are offering now is €300 which is nearly double what they were offering on the s23 plus a few weeks ago.

Had considered the ultra but I really don't like the corners and especially the weight/bulkyness of other people's s23 ultras I've held. Only problem I have is the fact they are using the exynos chip on the non ultras this year. I don't care about the power of these chips since they are all plenty for me, just want good battery life.

Other option I'm thinking of is the oneplus 12, only problem I have with that is I'd rather have a flat screen and the cameras usually aren't as good as the s series or Google.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 11:36:19 pm by MBL? »

Offline swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8639 on: January 18, 2024, 09:26:05 am »
Thinking about getting the s24 plus to replace my pixel 6. Trade in they are offering now is €300 which is nearly double what they were offering on the s23 plus a few weeks ago.

Had considered the ultra but I really don't like the corners and especially the weight/bulkyness of other people's s23 ultras I've held. Only problem I have is the fact they are using the exynos chip on the non ultras this year. I don't care about the power of these chips since they are all plenty for me, just want good battery life.

Other option I'm thinking of is the oneplus 12, only problem I have with that is I'd rather have a flat screen and the cameras usually aren't as good as the s series or Google.

I like the Ultra too but as you say the corners really put me off. I'll probably go for the S24 plus.