Author Topic: How to Earn Your Place: Welcome Back, Mr. Gerrard  (Read 26629 times)

Offline Mauritian

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: How to Earn Your Place: Welcome Back, Mr. Gerrard
« Reply #160 on: December 31, 2011, 11:22:01 am »
When Gerrard came on, the commentator on Canal + said the passing quality of the man made Torres a very good player. Now Torres is striving to find the net because maybe he doesn't have the passing quality of Gerrard there. Gerrard passes made Carroll looked pretty dangerous when he came on yesterday. He continued that Gerrard passes adapt to the quality of strikers and Carroll will definitely starting to score.

I hope it comes true. It is a fact because it occurs exactly the same way. But Carroll control lets him down. What do you think??

Offline ACLE

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #161 on: December 31, 2011, 11:35:23 am »
Can't wait until the lad is 'MATCH FIT'.
It's not where you've been, it's where we're going.

JUSTICE DELAYED IS JUSTICE DENIED but Justice is getting closer every day.

Offline TomDcs

• Cross dressing, pant shitting, clothes thief
  • Legacy Fan
  • Six times...
« Reply #162 on: December 31, 2011, 11:38:33 am »
Just watched the match, how influential can one player be? He's like a machine, you just get whatever you need from him wherever he's told to play. The mere site of him bounding about gave me shivers, proper special player I just hope we can keep him fit - if so we've got a very good shot at 4th.

Offline TheTeflonJohn

• The proud owner of a moist undercarriage. Full LFC bed time attire wanker. Self-confessed CUNT.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Atkinsons Long Leather - Atkinsons Hair Do
« Reply #163 on: December 31, 2011, 12:15:34 pm »
I`d forgotten how fuckin immense this man can be. How often do you see one player come onto a pitch and within half an hour stand head and shoulders above everyone else.

I mean fuckin hell Stevie could probably put the tea lady to shame by whipping up the most sensational cup of tea known to man.

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: December 31, 2011, 12:18:41 pm »
Carroll might actually get some goals now that someone can cross with a bit of pace and accuracy.

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: December 31, 2011, 12:18:43 pm »
Carroll will score goals with him in the team.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline callanlfc5times

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: December 31, 2011, 12:24:08 pm »
Carroll will get some chances and something to attack with him in the team. Carroll must be pissed off with his usual lump a high ball straight down the middle whilst his back is towards goal service.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96
JUSTICE FOR THE 96
JUSTICE FOR THE 96
JUSTICE
FOR THE 96
JUSTICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #167 on: December 31, 2011, 12:46:51 pm »
Really dreading the day he hangs up his boots

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline LiverpoolForever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exit Calm new single ''The Rapture'' out Feb 18.
« Reply #169 on: December 31, 2011, 12:49:55 pm »
Just watched the match, how influential can one player be? He's like a machine, you just get whatever you need from him wherever he's told to play. The mere site of him bounding about gave me shivers, proper special player I just hope we can keep him fit - if so we've got a very good shot at 4th.

That in turn worries me.The fact we are relying yet again on Gerrard with the money that has been spent.We should have other players who step up to the mark with Suarez facing an 8 match ban.

Offline Koplass

• As anti-social as you could want
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: December 31, 2011, 12:50:39 pm »
I think I've been guilty in the past of taking Gerrard for granted, but yesterday he was head and shoulders above every other player on the pitch when he came on. In that situation you really can appreciate his class.
"If ever a club reflected what made football the biggest sport in the country, it was Liverpool with its ground set in the bosom of the labouring working class being led by a man-of-the-people idealist in Bill Shankly."

Offline Basil

• Main Stander
How to Earn Your Place: Welcome Back, Mr. Gerrard
« Reply #171 on: December 31, 2011, 12:53:23 pm »
You know when you forget how good something(someone) is until they come back?

God ive missed him
The ball drops and he just settles the world . Then that right foot hits it and you see the future arc of the ball and time goes all gluey like a Dali painting, and for a second there's a twenty year old Steven Gerrard and your younger self cheering him on throu

Offline Basil

• Main Stander
« Reply #172 on: December 31, 2011, 12:53:58 pm »

God ive missed him
The ball drops and he just settles the world . Then that right foot hits it and you see the future arc of the ball and time goes all gluey like a Dali painting, and for a second there's a twenty year old Steven Gerrard and your younger self cheering him on throu

Offline gazza1976

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #173 on: December 31, 2011, 12:54:20 pm »
he is mr liverpool hes magic im not gay but i could be hahahahah love the guy can change a game just like that
JFT96 Y.N.W.A

Offline Basil

• Main Stander
« Reply #174 on: December 31, 2011, 12:54:31 pm »

God ive missed him

Offline inexorably red

• Anny Roader
« Reply #175 on: December 31, 2011, 12:59:42 pm »
amazing how Caroll came alive with just 3 crosses !!!!! great to see him back,class above
“If you’re in the penalty area and don’t know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we’ll discuss the options later.”

Offline gerrardspetal

• Rabid psycho nut harvester with no idea - but she did have some points
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • miaaaaaaaaaaow
« Reply #176 on: December 31, 2011, 01:00:18 pm »
Really dreading the day he hangs up his boots

me too :(
“You could say it’s not about being local, but about being vocal.
Kristian is a idiot.  A bad idiot.  Also a virgin.

@gerrardspetal - twitter

Offline gerrardspetal

• Rabid psycho nut harvester with no idea - but she did have some points
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • miaaaaaaaaaaow
« Reply #177 on: December 31, 2011, 01:04:42 pm »
I can't embed on here for some reason but here is his and Bellamy's interview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW_xB_5JGQM
“You could say it’s not about being local, but about being vocal.
Kristian is a idiot.  A bad idiot.  Also a virgin.

@gerrardspetal - twitter

Offline rushie9

• Kopite
  • FAN FAN
« Reply #178 on: December 31, 2011, 01:15:26 pm »
The whole team look much much more dynamic when SG in play, where with adam just very flat and "u know what is going to happen kinda" without too many unexpected move going to create
FAN= with one eye open to see all the goodies of a player, with the other eye and ear shut....

Offline Bouncer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • "It's not my ego, it's my responsibility" Benitez
« Reply #179 on: December 31, 2011, 01:19:23 pm »
Steven Gerrard is the most complete football player I have ever seen and would go as far as to say one of the best players the world has ever seen. We are so lucky to have him playing for us and should celebrate his every volley, trap, pass, turn, sprint, jog, goal, scowl, smile and clap he gives us on the pitch. 

If ever a player deserve a premiership medal it is Steven Gerrard.
Gatusso says that Liverpool play too many long balls?

I don’t think he watches many Liverpool games, the same way I don’t watch many Milan games. (Rafa)

Offline MazzaRed

• Kopite
« Reply #180 on: December 31, 2011, 01:27:12 pm »
He evokes all kinds of football cliches anyone can think of.

The "high five" with Kenny has got to be the most wonderful sight last night. Two of the greatest Liverpool legends ever. EVER.

THIS.....nearly brought a tear to my eye!

We must use him carefully....at the right times and for the right periods of time....not only to prolong his career.

Last night made me realise how influential he really is for us...and I totally agree about him playing the right balls for Torres to help make him who he was for us...think he will do the same for Andy & Luis...thats why we HAVE to look after him.

USE SPARINGLY WHEN REQUIRED.
Roman....if ever you're skint.....
                                              ......we've got 6 Euro's !

Offline dorsetgill

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: December 31, 2011, 01:50:06 pm »
He is sheer class

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: December 31, 2011, 02:01:25 pm »
Yesterdays scenario was perfect for him..at home, scoreline tied.

He looks so much better playing in the middle but with 2 partners instead of just the one. The benefit for having 2 other partners was shown in his goal where 2 CM's linked up on the edge of the opposition box to create a goal. In a 2-man midfield, that would be suicide at 2-1 but with the comfort of the third CM behind them, you can take that chance.

None of us know his physical situation. But I really hope they take it easy with him...even when he gets back to 100%, not playing him all the time, even if it pisses him off.

Offline montysmum

• Was brought up in an entirely queg-free area.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: December 31, 2011, 02:19:56 pm »
That in turn worries me.The fact we are relying yet again on Gerrard with the money that has been spent.We should have other players who step up to the mark with Suarez facing an 8 match ban.

To be honest I don't think it is a matter of money because what Gerrard has cannot be bought.  It is a rare talent that allows a man to go on the pitch and inspire 10 others to lift their game, to calm their nerves and inspire them to keep attacking.

When he was a younger player, although showing obvious talent as a player, he probably would not have had the ability to inspire that he has now.

Experience has given the knowledge, the 'been there, done that' belief that he and the team are capable of anything as long as they keep trying and never give up.

He has shown this attitude time and time again, - FA Cup, CL Finals and Premier League games, whatever it is he never stops trying.

There are very few players who have the effect that Gerrard has on the team, and like many others I worry about the time when he decides to hang up his boots because he will be a hard act to follow.  Hopefully between now and then,  another player will gain the experience and the confidence to step up to the plate and be as inspirational, but if we do we will be very, very lucky indeed.
"If the supporters love me, then it's only half as much as I love them." - Kenny Dalglish. Liverpool Manager

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #184 on: December 31, 2011, 03:06:09 pm »
Let's hope he has more luck with injuries in 2012 than he did in 2011 it is shocking to think that Stevie only started 9 games in the entire calender year. The more he plays and the closer he gets to the opposition goal the better. The conundrum is to get the very best out of him you need to build a side around him free him off his defensive shackles and get him on the ball in the final third where he is absolutely peerless. The problem is can you base your game around a player with such a bad injury record over the last two or three years.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline trigger

• sexist and shallow
  • Legacy Fan
  • The romans invented the knob on a stick
« Reply #185 on: December 31, 2011, 03:20:57 pm »
I don't remember Torres having too many amazing games when Gerrard wasn't on the pitch...   :-\

no me either
Frankly if your team is mentioned in a Liverpool song, you should be chuffed

Offline FernandoTourettes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: December 31, 2011, 04:09:38 pm »
Nice compilation of Gerrard assists: http://youtu.be/mUcgK_4J26Q

What a fantastic player. This video made me think of some of the clinical finishers we've had over the years. How we could do the clinical-ness of an Owen, Torres or even Garcia.

But mostly makes me appreciate even more what a player he has been for us.

6:02 Torres needed a goal, Gerrard showed what makes him a great captain / 7:05 Outstanding skills / 7:30 Unbelievable weight of pass and vision. Great memories.

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #187 on: December 31, 2011, 04:20:09 pm »
Annoyingly the crosses Gerrard put in are I guess what Downing was signed to do but he's just not good enough to do
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline gazzathered

• RAWK's Token Ginger
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #188 on: December 31, 2011, 04:24:03 pm »
Just a pleasure to have him in our team, his technique , vision and game intelligence is so far ahead of the others (bar Suarez), he made Carroll look ten times the player he had been for 60 minutes.
Take a bow son, best player I've seen in a red shirt.
YNWA

Offline sirjames

• The Manly Eunuch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: December 31, 2011, 04:31:19 pm »
Annoyingly the crosses Gerrard put in are I guess what Downing was signed to do but he's just not good enough to do

you though that downing was going to cross the ball from deep with his right foot?
Annoyingly you cant have seen much of downing before thinking this.
If we win, its normal because were Liverpool Football Club
Rafa  25/1/05

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #190 on: December 31, 2011, 05:08:56 pm »
No point in complaining that we have nobody to replicate him when he's out of the team. You'd be paying £50million+ for an equal influence, and there is nobody in the world like-for-like. I want him on the bench for as long as it takes for him to be fully fit. On the other hand though, he's simply a joy to watch and he improves us so much with his mere presence.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: December 31, 2011, 05:37:24 pm »
Haha I saw that too, more like "oh fuck.." for me.  ;D

I saw this too, he even pinched his shirt when he was just about to come on as if to say 'Take it easy on us will you'.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: December 31, 2011, 05:40:11 pm »
you though that downing was going to cross the ball from deep with his right foot?
Annoyingly you cant have seen much of downing before thinking this.

Umm his played on the left as well you know.

Offline Matt8Pie

• Boris Johnson's speech writer. Seeks vindication for slating players, the very definition of "supporter". Still doesn't get it.
  • Legacy Fan
  • YANKS OUT
« Reply #193 on: December 31, 2011, 08:06:49 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-aKrF7E6NU&feature=player_embedded

I love how Pardew looks at Gerrard getting ready to come on, turns away and his face is like "oh fuck".
http://www.twitter.com/matt8pie
Most people in this world are tits. The fact they have an allegiance with Liverpool Football Club doesn't change that.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: December 31, 2011, 11:37:46 pm »
I love how Pardew looks at Gerrard getting ready to come on, turns away and his face is like "oh fuck".

His nemesis from 2006.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline yeah_jono

• Main Stander
  • The club found me in 92
« Reply #195 on: January 1, 2012, 12:35:19 am »
WHAT A PLAYER. Changed the game, and bossed the park. Love the guy #nohomo

Offline TH

• Anny Roader
« Reply #196 on: January 1, 2012, 12:58:33 am »
for the Legend. Gerrard made Hendo look like... his successor ;) Future looks feckin bright! Happy New Year  :)

Offline Redeye

• Kopite
  • 31/1/59 Sunderland 3-1 Wheeler Bimpson Morris
« Reply #197 on: January 1, 2012, 01:01:27 am »

But to be fair to Pardew he acknowledged Stevie as he was about to come on.
"Everybody at Anfield hopes that in the not too distant future Bill Shankly will lead the club back to the First Division - and also to a Cup Final victory."

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #198 on: January 1, 2012, 02:36:06 am »
They can practise and practise and practise all they like, improve a little yes, but Gerrard has world class talent for Football and thats the difference something which can't be taught. Unfortunately!

I still think the quality of crossing from the rest of the team is still down to a lack of confidence anyway.

The only one that comes close to getting that same technique is Adam, remember the cross for Suarez header a few weeks ago?

Didnt we have the same problem when we had Crouch though? our crossing was all wrong

Offline Matt8Pie

• Boris Johnson's speech writer. Seeks vindication for slating players, the very definition of "supporter". Still doesn't get it.
  • Legacy Fan
  • YANKS OUT
« Reply #199 on: January 1, 2012, 02:45:12 am »
Whatever position he was playing in yesterday is his best position. That free role he has to move around the pitch in their half suits him and us the best.
http://www.twitter.com/matt8pie
Most people in this world are tits. The fact they have an allegiance with Liverpool Football Club doesn't change that.