21 (6.5%)
Labour
70 (21.8%)
GP
11 (3.4%)
Ind/Others
77 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 321

Author Topic: The Irish Politics Thread.  (Read 464093 times)

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Irish Politics Thread.
« Reply #5400 on: December 15, 2020, 09:20:53 pm »
So the Dail this week will adjourn for the next month as we struggle with Brexit plans, rolling out a vaccine that many of us will not see by the start of next summer and unemployment numbers are the highest ever. Enjoy your 4 week Christmas holiday.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5401 on: February 9, 2021, 07:12:28 pm »
Saw the new kids hospital in Dublin may be heading towards $2.5 billion in costs. That is getting a little pricey considering four of the most expensive hospitals total build cost in the last decade was about the same. There is one hospital in Houston that is approx three times bigger that cost 650m which opened in 2018.
« Last Edit: February 9, 2021, 07:14:20 pm by fowlermagic »
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #5402 on: February 9, 2021, 08:37:28 pm »
Saw the new kids hospital in Dublin may be heading towards $2.5 billion in costs. That is getting a little pricey considering four of the most expensive hospitals total build cost in the last decade was about the same. There is one hospital in Houston that is approx three times bigger that cost 650m which opened in 2018.

Apparently it may need to be re-fitted at some stage to allow it to deal with another pandemic similar to this one that effects children more severely.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5403 on: February 10, 2021, 09:59:04 am »
Apparently it may need to be re-fitted at some stage to allow it to deal with another pandemic similar to this one that effects children more severely.

It has only 20 beds for mental care & considering the shortfall we have in the mental system its alarming 2.5billion only adds 20 beds. Apparently we will have even less as due to acute mental issues, patients need to be kept apart to keep themselves and staff safe. I can guarantee you after the past year and more there will be greater need for childrens mental health care.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5404 on: February 10, 2021, 10:18:31 am »

It's been happening for years.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/pattern-of-overspending-in-major-irish-infrastructure-projects-1.3788845
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5405 on: February 11, 2021, 11:38:27 am »
It's been happening for years.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/pattern-of-overspending-in-major-irish-infrastructure-projects-1.3788845

The more you read the madder you get and what drove me over the edge is consultants were paid a % of the overall cost. The madness of it all and no one will face any consequences as they will be long gone or a cabinet reshuffle makes sure you will never see a project through. Even now we can see whats happening in the country as pulling piped dreams out of their asses and stumbling from one mess to the next.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5406 on: March 26, 2021, 10:01:05 pm »
Just a wee reminder on how we are doing with the vaccination program as initial plans mentioned 1.7m doses by end of March but that was quickly revised to 1.3m. We then had the mini crisis with AstraZeneca where it pushed 30K doses back a week so right now 5 days from the end of March we sit on a total of 710k doses. Even this week the officials were mentioning 1.1m doses would be given by end of the month but cant see 300k doses happening next week. I actually would be surprised if they vaccinate 300k in a month at this stage. Its a sad reflection on how the country and Europe as a whole consistently shift the goalposts every week or two in terms of targets and every time fall short. We will miss the lowest target they set this week, 1.1m by 250k at least so its no surprise most of the restrictions will continue for another 6 weeks at least. 

Offline KissThisGuy

• OnlyThroughAFaceMaskThough
  • Legacy Fan
  • It was raining, I went outside, I got wet.
« Reply #5407 on: March 26, 2021, 10:15:33 pm »
Just a wee reminder on how we are doing with the vaccination program as initial plans mentioned 1.7m doses by end of March but that was quickly revised to 1.3m. We then had the mini crisis with AstraZeneca where it pushed 30K doses back a week so right now 5 days from the end of March we sit on a total of 710k doses. Even this week the officials were mentioning 1.1m doses would be given by end of the month but cant see 300k doses happening next week. I actually would be surprised if they vaccinate 300k in a month at this stage. Its a sad reflection on how the country and Europe as a whole consistently shift the goalposts every week or two in terms of targets and every time fall short. We will miss the lowest target they set this week, 1.1m by 250k at least so its no surprise most of the restrictions will continue for another 6 weeks at least.
If they don't lift the 5km restriction there will uproar. My mother was afraid to go to the beach, which is 9km away.

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #5408 on: April 4, 2021, 03:40:14 am »

Videos of molotovs being chucked.

https://www.twitter.com/Belfastom/status/1378427238761304071

"Another night of decisive, unionist leadership ahead."

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5409 on: April 5, 2021, 12:17:31 am »
Videos of molotovs being chucked.

https://www.twitter.com/Belfastom/status/1378427238761304071

"Another night of decisive, unionist leadership ahead."

2 minutes away from me all that shit.
Pretty funny watching them wreck their own area. Knuckle dragging scum. Thick c*nts probably have no idea why they're rioting either.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Juan Kerr

• Main Stander
« Reply #5410 on: April 5, 2021, 09:49:34 am »
Pretty funny watching them wreck their own area. Knuckle dragging scum. Thick c*nts probably have no idea why they're rioting either.

Dickheads, my sister used to live there 1 of my mates still does. At least the knob who set himself on fire was right beside a hospital.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5411 on: April 5, 2021, 10:13:40 am »
Politicians using the paramilitaries who in turn use teenagers.  Regarding the former it’s dressed up as anger about a decision to not prosecute Sinn Fein for a breach of Covid rules.  But peer beneath the facade and it’s really anger about the NI (Brexit) protocol and the impact (perceived or other) on NI’s position within the UK.

All brought on of course by same politicians for propping up a Brexit driven UK government.  Schadenfreude is strong on that.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5412 on: April 5, 2021, 10:32:39 am »
Looking forward to post-Covid austerity measures and the housing problem sliding down the list of priorities - never to be heard about again.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5413 on: April 5, 2021, 10:34:52 am »
Surely its time for them to take a year off governing in the North as its been a horrid year for us all. You have to laugh at someone who benched themselves for three years and now trying to grab the loudspeaker. Every government takes the piss as watch the lads down south take their summer break and combine that with every other break it will be probably 5 months where the Dail will not have sat between March 2020 - Sept 2021. You wonder why we struggle to get a grip on any crisis.    :butt

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5414 on: April 7, 2021, 08:52:38 pm »
Starting to hijack and burn buses. One bus had petrol bombs thrown in while the doors were open, not sure if the driver was still in it.
Loyalists gathering at peace walls and forcing the gates open.
Arlene Foster has been anonymous.

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5415 on: April 7, 2021, 09:05:58 pm »

Online DangerScouse

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5416 on: April 7, 2021, 09:17:48 pm »
Starting to hijack and burn buses. One bus had petrol bombs thrown in while the doors were open, not sure if the driver was still in it.
Loyalists gathering at peace walls and forcing the gates open.
Arlene Foster has been anonymous.

Hang on, she's managed to have a dig at the "real" lawbreakers.

https://twitter.com/DUPleader/status/1379885970103877634?s=19
« Last Edit: April 7, 2021, 09:27:29 pm by DangerScouse »

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5417 on: April 7, 2021, 09:53:56 pm »

She's disgusting. She's to blame for this and will have blood on her hands when the inevitable happens and some innocent person loses their life. She has caused this 

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5418 on: April 7, 2021, 09:57:38 pm »
She's disgusting. She's to blame for this and will have blood on her hands when the inevitable happens and some innocent person loses their life. She has caused this 

And all because she’s pissed at the self inflicted Brexit mess.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5419 on: April 7, 2021, 10:04:54 pm »
Not to worry. Arlene has about 500 million tucked away somewhere down the back of her sofa to pay for any public damages. Sure it's their money too. You break it, you pay for it, eh?

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #5420 on: April 7, 2021, 10:10:15 pm »
Gregory Campbell on the TV over the weekend blamed the Good Friday Agreement on this, honestly, he reallly did.
Y.N.W.A.

Online DangerScouse

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5421 on: April 7, 2021, 10:14:29 pm »
She's an odious bigot. c*nt.

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5422 on: April 7, 2021, 10:21:27 pm »
Flyers being sent round to encourage gatherings in Belfast and Portadown, no doubt other areas on Friday.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5423 on: April 7, 2021, 10:33:17 pm »
Sinn Fein probably sitting back watching it unfold.  Watching the impact of DUP effectively taking NI part-way out of the UK.  Don’t know what polls are like but guess it will cost DUP in next election, and they prob know it, hence their desperate rhetoric.

Hiding behind a Covid breach at a funeral, when it’s all about the Brexit (protocol) for which they’re responsible.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5424 on: April 7, 2021, 10:54:31 pm »
Flyers being sent round to encourage gatherings in Belfast and Portadown, no doubt other areas on Friday.
I'd normally dismiss those as being bullshit, but you know it's legit because the fuckers can't spell.

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5425 on: April 7, 2021, 11:00:20 pm »
I'd normally dismiss those as being bullshit, but you know it's legit because the fuckers can't spell.

"Earn your strips"  ;D

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #5426 on: April 7, 2021, 11:24:15 pm »
Johnson 'concerned' about the situation. Wasn't at all concerned when creating the conditions for it to kick off in, mind, despite years of people predicting exactly this happening if the country went down his path.

As I've read and said before, he may have been turfed out by the time it legally occurs, but Johnson will go down as the man whose scheming to become leader of the Conservative and Unionist Party to facilitate his short-sighted grab for the top job directly resulted in the breakup of the Union itself.

For generations to come (once the dust has settled) his blithering incompetence and selfish ambition will be toasted in Dublin and Edinburgh. The only question left is what the Welsh will want to do. Being part of a grander union of nations is one thing, but being effectively West England (with a population only slightly larger than East Anglia) is quite another.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5427 on: April 7, 2021, 11:28:26 pm »
"Earn your strips"  ;D
They'll be disappointed to hear that KFC is currently closed.

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5429 on: April 7, 2021, 11:53:06 pm »

Shockingly irresponsible tweet. I used to think she pandered to her base, but I’m now convinced she’s just the same as them.

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5430 on: April 8, 2021, 12:56:59 am »
Shockingly irresponsible tweet. I used to think she pandered to her base, but I’m now convinced she’s just the same as them.

She's one of them, make no mistake about it 

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #5431 on: April 8, 2021, 02:13:18 am »

FFS. Great job at calming things down ::) Such an irresponsible coda to that tweet

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5432 on: April 8, 2021, 08:58:38 am »
I pray that no one is killed in the coming days.

The DUP know they are in for a hiding when the next election rolls around. Aligning themselves with drug gangs in fear of losing seats, under the guise of fighting for “the union”, which they are single handedly destroying with their own antics.

It will calm down again but I hope voters don’t forget this quickly. Especially those in poorer parts of Belfast who are taking the brunt of the gangs, the drugs and the rioting.
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline Judge Redd

• Kemlynite
« Reply #5433 on: April 8, 2021, 09:58:15 am »

I can't find the tweet any more but Idid read that some journo asked one of them why they were rioting and the response was 'because the peelers never prosecuted Bobby Storey'  :butt

Offline Judge Redd

• Kemlynite
« Reply #5434 on: April 8, 2021, 10:16:26 am »
I pray that no one is killed in the coming days.

The DUP know they are in for a hiding when the next election rolls around. Aligning themselves with drug gangs in fear of losing seats, under the guise of fighting for “the union”, which they are single handedly destroying with their own antics.

It will calm down again but I hope voters don’t forget this quickly. Especially those in poorer parts of Belfast who are taking the brunt of the gangs, the drugs and the rioting.

I hope this is true. As someone who lived through the worst of the violence in the 70s and 80s, it's heartbreaking to see this happening after a quarter-century of relative peace and normality. The polarisation of politics in the North, the movement towards DUP and Sinn Fein at the expense of the more moderate parties has been horrible to watch (although it's arguable that the UUP are no longer a viable alternative for unionists; their fall from grace and lack of identity has been stark).

For my part, I'm from a unionist background but am a committed Alliance voter first, then SDLP or Greens depending on who's standing in my constituency. None are perfect; no political party ever is; but all are a damn sight better than what we have in situ right now. Representatives like Naomi Long, Nichola Mallon, Clare Bailey at a local level and Stephen Farry & (my MP) Claire Hanna at a National level - these people want to find solutions to issues and make this a better place to live; genuinely to serve their electorate. Compare with your Sammy Wilsons, Arlene Fosters, Michelle O'Neills - my feeling about these people is that they play to their base time and time again, and care only about getting re-elected at the expense of any improvement to people's day to day lives.
« Last Edit: April 8, 2021, 10:18:07 am by Judge Redd »

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #5435 on: April 8, 2021, 11:17:14 am »
The UK Tory government threw their Unionist allies under the bus with the Irish Sea border, so the Unionists take it out on the bus.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5436 on: April 8, 2021, 12:21:50 pm »
Between April 1 and April 5 we have seen 48k vaccinations in the country so averaging 12k a day at the moment. This is the figures given by the HSE and apparently 30k doses were given out on Good Friday (April 2) which is brilliant news as we need to be averaging 30k plus a day to meet the 1m a month goal they have set for themselves for the next three months.  Lets see where we are at by end of April as right now we are about 500k doses off our original goals I think.

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #5437 on: April 8, 2021, 01:16:42 pm »
Between April 1 and April 5 we have seen 48k vaccinations in the country so averaging 12k a day at the moment. This is the figures given by the HSE and apparently 30k doses were given out on Good Friday (April 2) which is brilliant news as we need to be averaging 30k plus a day to meet the 1m a month goal they have set for themselves for the next three months.  Lets see where we are at by end of April as right now we are about 500k doses off our original goals I think.

No prizes for guessing why....

https://www.politico.eu/article/eu-misses-coronavirus-vaccines-target/

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #5439 on: April 8, 2021, 07:32:04 pm »

It started off so well then went full Arlene.
Y.N.W.A.