Author Topic: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation  (Read 591775 times)

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Reply #6800 on: March 29, 2024, 07:06:28 pm »
Yeah, I don't think the club would have a problem with paying the clause, if they want him. The issue might be that there's a dearth of managers with a proven track record out there so any manager who's realistically available comes with huge question marks (that would have been the case with Alonso as well). That might make the club think twice.

Also, with Amorim, just read that Barcelona will be looking for a new manager as well - I imagine a Portuguese coach may find them more attractive from a cultural point of view than moving to England - so it might not even be him.

Also De Zerbi’s family still live in Italy. There is a chance that none of them are managing in England next season.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6801 on: March 29, 2024, 07:07:50 pm »
Also De Zerbi’s family still live in Italy. There is a chance that none of them are managing in England next season.

Thomas Frank it is then!
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #6802 on: March 29, 2024, 07:10:41 pm »
So what? you're trying to tell me that Paisley, Fagan & Dalglish wouldn't of passed the FA's poxy course.

No, I am telling you that you were wrong when you stated that more coaches take jobs these days with zero experience. Decades ago players used to become player managers with zero experience and zero coaching badges. You used to get players becoming managers having never ran a coaching session in their lives.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6803 on: March 29, 2024, 07:11:50 pm »
Yeah, I don't think the club would have a problem with paying the clause, if they want him. The issue might be that there's a dearth of managers with a proven track record out there so any manager who's realistically available comes with huge question marks (that would have been the case with Alonso as well). That might make the club think twice.

Also, with Amorim, just read that Barcelona will be looking for a new manager as well - I imagine a Portuguese coach may find them more attractive from a cultural point of view than moving to England - so it might not even be him.

They'll be shitting it about getting it right, a few million won't change anything.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6804 on: March 29, 2024, 07:14:14 pm »
He took an average Villlareal side to a CL semi final only a couple of years ago tbf.

Yep he's great in Europe. But they finished 7th in the league that season.

Remember when Sevilla beat us in the Europa League final? They finished 7th too.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6805 on: March 29, 2024, 07:17:52 pm »
Well, there's serious questions of character about a man who joined Bayern and Real anyway. ;D
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #6806 on: March 29, 2024, 07:17:58 pm »
Did you used to ring those fucking horseshit transfer hotlines advertised on Ceefax?

My mate’s parents had to put a block on them back in the day as he called them so much! :lmao

Wasn’t Ceefax, wouldn’t have adverts in the BBC!

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6807 on: March 29, 2024, 07:19:16 pm »
Yep he's great in Europe. But they finished 7th in the league that season.

Remember when Sevilla beat us in the Europa League final? They finished 7th too.

Could be an issue with resources and putting out weakened sides. We did the same in Klopp’s first season.

Offline lindylou100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6808 on: March 29, 2024, 07:20:31 pm »
I can get Alonso's thinking on this. He's probably bought the 'poisoned chalice' narrative. In two years time, he could still find himself at Anfield without having to follow such a generational icon of a manager. He could also find himself at Madrid with a crazy amount of talent at his disposal. 

The only gamble is that he fucks it with BL next season and his reputation takes a hit. I can't see him regressing that much, but if he wins the league and, say, the Europa, it's a big ask to go one better than that in a season.

Anyway, a big shame we can't get him as he was an exciting choice.

he may not have even been offered the job or he knew he wasnt ready for it.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #6809 on: March 29, 2024, 07:24:11 pm »
My mate’s parents had to put a block on them back in the day as he called them so much! :lmao

Wasn’t Ceefax, wouldn’t have adverts in the BBC!

The ITV version was called ORACLE.

Peter Kay described it best when he did the line about trying to write down the phone number for a teletext holiday and then having to wait about 400 pages for it to come around again.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6810 on: March 29, 2024, 07:25:52 pm »
I can get Alonso's thinking on this. He's probably bought the 'poisoned chalice' narrative. In two years time, he could still find himself at Anfield without having to follow such a generational icon of a manager. He could also find himself at Madrid with a crazy amount of talent at his disposal. 

The only gamble is that he fucks it with BL next season and his reputation takes a hit. I can't see him regressing that much, but if he wins the league and, say, the Europa, it's a big ask to go one better than that in a season.

Anyway, a big shame we can't get him as he was an exciting choice.

Dont you think the love in for him is a bit embarrassing. People have said its like Bellingham and its certainly like it in the sense that fans are dropping their knickers for the chance to be acknowledged by Saint Xabi just like Saint Jude.

Dominic King has even put out a tweet implying we can still dare to dream that one day he will be our manager. I mean fucking hell.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 07:28:25 pm by killer-heels »

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6811 on: March 29, 2024, 07:28:02 pm »
Did you used to ring those fucking horseshit transfer hotlines advertised on Ceefax?

;D ;D

Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6812 on: March 29, 2024, 07:28:05 pm »
He will be. He is 42 and if we say he's going to be in managment for the next 20 years I think there's a good chance he will come to us in that time.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6813 on: March 29, 2024, 07:28:38 pm »

My old man would've taken a belt to my arse If I did.  ;D

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6814 on: March 29, 2024, 07:29:31 pm »
He will be. He is 42 and if we say he's going to be in managment for the next 20 years I think there's a good chance he will come to us in that time.

Maybe, but he is one full season into the job and people are dreaming of him one day managing us.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6815 on: March 29, 2024, 07:29:37 pm »
My old man would've taken a belt to my arse If I did.  ;D

So it was just the sex lines you used to call?

Offline lindylou100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6816 on: March 29, 2024, 07:30:32 pm »
Dont you think the love in for him is a bit embarrassing. People have said its like Bellingham and its certainly like it in the sense that fans are dropping their knickers for the chance to be acknowledged by Saint Xabi just like Saint Jude.

Dominic King has even put out a tweet implying we can still dare to dream that one day he will be our manager. I mean fucking hell.

Yep, lots on here working through their 2009 trauma.

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6817 on: March 29, 2024, 07:34:36 pm »

If he's fucked us off in favour of waiting a season to join Madrid then I'm not so sure.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6818 on: March 29, 2024, 07:35:40 pm »
The ITV version was called ORACLE.

Peter Kay described it best when he did the line about trying to write down the phone number for a teletext holiday and then having to wait about 400 pages for it to come around again.

That's the one I remember - classic! Hours of fun trying to find a holiday to save £5 and then end up staying in some shit hole hotel in Benidorm with 2 am flight times. 

Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6819 on: March 29, 2024, 07:36:08 pm »
If he's fucked us off in favour of waiting a season to join Madrid then I'm not so sure.

Yeah but he might say something nice about us and show a picture of his son with a reds shirt or some shite like that.

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6820 on: March 29, 2024, 07:39:28 pm »
Yeah but he might say something nice about us and show a picture of his son with a reds shirt or some shite like that.

True, and I'm sure his inevitable Real sacking, followed by his Bayern sacking, will lead to him realising we were the only club for him all along.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6821 on: March 29, 2024, 07:40:00 pm »
I've heard Rossi is in Germany trying to talk him round. Don't give up hope yet people!

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6822 on: March 29, 2024, 07:43:02 pm »
True, and I'm sure his inevitable Real sacking, followed by his Bayern sacking, will lead to him realising we were the only club for him all along.

Im sure in that instance some fans would claim that he is back to the one and only club he loves which is us.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6823 on: March 29, 2024, 07:43:11 pm »
Has Rossi taken a bucket of KFC and a fishing rod?

Offline kvarmeismydad

• Might regale ya with tales of footballing genitalia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6824 on: March 29, 2024, 07:44:50 pm »
People having a pop at people concerned about the new formation is a bit odd. I think it's a valid shout. It's not that it won't work and we won't be great. We've got personell able to fit into that for sure. The issue in my mind is that there's only 2 midfield spots in someone like Amorims formation.

I think Gravenberch is a casualty in that scenario for example.

I think Elliott would need to concentrate on right wing and Trent would have to concentrate on being a wing back.

It's not concerns as if it's a showstopper. It's just interesting the ripple effect a change of formation would make.

It's also interesting to think about what we'd need to add the squad. An extra CB? Two? A LWB?

I dont think it's a case of expecting a new manager to continue 433 if that's not there philosophy. And it's OK to consider what it would look like if we changed formation. There's no need to try and shut people down who are trying to have an open conversation about it.
@paulair

Online Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #6825 on: March 29, 2024, 07:47:56 pm »

I think the reaction of fans saying things like “he doesn’t love us” and “if he really did support us he wouldn’t have rejected us” a bit more embarrassing myself. This is his livelihood, his career and he’s just starting out. I admire him for staying at Leverkusen regardless of what he does in the next year or two. He might be biding his time for Madrid, he might be being completely honest and thinks he needs to hone his craft before heading to the best league in the world. The man owes us nothing, he can support our club and decide he doesn’t want to manage us this early in the career. There’s no need for backlash.

Even when he left us in 2009, the club had tried to sell him before that, he owed us nothing, yet people still bring it up.

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6826 on: March 29, 2024, 07:48:02 pm »

Winners are winners and sadly I don't think there's much room for sentiment amongst many of them. They're cold and ruthless and I don't think Alonso is any different from other managers. It is all about self-interest, we've just been spoilt by Klopp's romantic outlook on the game. Alonso was top of the managerial list due to that winning attitude - the fact he played for us is almost beside the point and is merely a nice appetiser to the idea of him managing.

I'm not kidding though, I honestly think if he was available and one of the Manc jobs came up, he would consider it. I certainly don't think he'd be rejecting it due to playing for us. So this idea that he has plenty of time to manage us is a fallacy, he'd burn his bridges with us entirely if he went to a rival club.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 07:49:54 pm by mattD »

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6827 on: March 29, 2024, 07:52:45 pm »
I think the reaction of fans saying things like “he doesn’t love us” and “if he really did support us he wouldn’t have rejected us” a bit more embarrassing myself. This is his livelihood, his career and he’s just starting out. I admire him for staying at Leverkusen regardless of what he does in the next year or two. He might be biding his time for Madrid, he might be being completely honest and thinks he needs to hone his craft before heading to the best league in the world. The man owes us nothing, he can support our club and decide he doesn’t want to manage us this early in the career. There’s no need for backlash.

Even when he left us in 2009, the club had tried to sell him before that, he owed us nothing, yet people still bring it up.

Its not just that, its the hope that one day he will still be manager. Why? Its this crazy pining for acknowledgement and hope that one day he will turn his attentions our way. Its silly.

Nobody should give a shit what Alonso does or doesnt do. There should be no planning or mapping out of future opportunities.

These last few seasons despite winning the lot we have fans obsessed with Mbappe, Bellingham and Alonso. Quite a small time mentality by a lot of them, especially the media that cover the patch. Fan media too as well has been quite embarrassing.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 07:54:43 pm by killer-heels »

Online Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #6828 on: March 29, 2024, 07:52:54 pm »
That's the one I remember - classic! Hours of fun trying to find a holiday to save £5 and then end up staying in some shit hole hotel in Benidorm with 2 am flight times. 

Can you remember Bamboozle on channel 4’s teletext?

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6829 on: March 29, 2024, 07:55:22 pm »
Ah well, let's go for this fella from the Portuguese league who doesnt know our players and knows nothing about the teams in the premier league.........

we went with a guy from the German league who didn’t know the players or the teams in the league, and he did ok.

Offline Jools

• Didn't believe at half time against Dortmund
  • Main Stander
« Reply #6830 on: March 29, 2024, 07:57:17 pm »
Just my own intuition here, but my moneys on a fellow German...Julian Nagelsmann?

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6831 on: March 29, 2024, 07:58:57 pm »
Journos hve ruled him out. Also he wouldn;t be able to take up the post till August.

Online meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #6832 on: March 29, 2024, 07:59:30 pm »
What about Lijnders?

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #6833 on: March 29, 2024, 08:07:02 pm »
Rudi Garcia is available.

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6834 on: March 29, 2024, 08:09:22 pm »
What about Lijnders?

That's what I'm saying. Unreal he hasn't been considered or even mentioned once.

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6835 on: March 29, 2024, 08:09:53 pm »
Estrela v Sporting kicks off in 20 mins

who's got a stream? ;D

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #6836 on: March 29, 2024, 08:10:09 pm »

If he's discovered to be a fan of Sangria I'm in it for the song alone
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6837 on: March 29, 2024, 08:16:49 pm »

Stay away. Doesn't he drink brew for breakfast?

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #6838 on: March 29, 2024, 08:17:15 pm »
Well, I'm glad Xabi has binned us off. It allows me to make my -

"When the world seems to shine like you've had too much wine, that's Amorim" banner.

🍾
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6839 on: March 29, 2024, 08:17:55 pm »
Journos hve ruled him out. Also he wouldn;t be able to take up the post till August.
Tell people to sort their own post out for July then ffs