Author Topic: Trent Alexander-Arnold  (Read 1408819 times)

Online KC7

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Trent Alexander-Arnold
« Reply #14280 on: Yesterday at 03:14:39 pm »
Hyperbole much? No-one has said Trent cannot defend, the discussion (without resorting to you're a utd fan insults) is why he's stopped defending. If you want to argue he's not fair enough, but I think he is a much worse defender now than he used to be, again as stated before I don't know if thats tactical or personal but on the tactical side I think it's crazy to have both Trent and Salah with minimal defensive duties.

The key part is Bradley, being asked to do the exact same role as Trent (maybe less long balls) has been a far better defender.

It's a really strange situation because a few years ago when the the public (mainly around England call ups) statements he couldn't defend came out, it was with a great irony as that was utter rubbish, he was a good defender at that point, yet since then he's got worse (in my humble opinion). When we played 433 Trent and Robbo were the best all round fullbacks in the world.

Bradley is just probably a better defender though. Seems quicker over short distances so is able to keep up with wingers. He looks like your classic well rounded full back who is quality at both sides of the game.

Going forward there is no-one like Trent though. That's why you want to be giving him the protection he needs, to let him create from that space. Playmaker at full back, we need to be harnessing that.

Online Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14281 on: Yesterday at 03:27:27 pm »
The Trent in midfield argument always comes down to why Klopp and Lijnders haven't gone all in and moved him there.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #14282 on: Yesterday at 03:38:14 pm »
The Trent in midfield argument always comes down to why Klopp and Lijnders haven't gone all in and moved him there.

Well let’s see if a change gonna come over the summer months.

Offline Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #14283 on: Yesterday at 04:13:15 pm »

He’s a world class right back, has been for 5-6 years now, having the position sorted has meant we haven’t had to recruit a right back and can invest resources into other areas of the field. It gives us a ridiculous advantage having so much offensive firepower from that position and, when the tactics are right, we can get him operating in that right midfield area which has been by far his most dangerous area, usually in space with the game in front of him rather than on the turn.

It’s not abnormal for a player to change position, though, Phillip Lahm was the best full back in the world and was a world class midfielder too, Kimmich similar, Fabinho went from defence to midfield, Pirlo was a 10 who became a deep lying playmaker, you can go on and on. Now we have a viable alternative in Bradley, I don’t see why we can’t stick Trent in centrally and at least try him there and see how it goes. I actually think Jurgen will have tried it this season, unfortunately neither Trent or Conor have been fit at the same time, such is life…

« Reply #14284 on: Yesterday at 08:07:48 pm »
One thing, though: when Gomez played as LB and inverted, he always found himself around the left-sided CM position but didn't have the vision or technique to shoot or play incisive passes. I think if that were Trent, he would have done more with that opportunity. So maybe playing him as an inverted LB next season and Bradley as RB, allowing Salah to play narrow, could work.

Online jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #14285 on: Yesterday at 09:54:59 pm »
One of the most interesting tactical questions with Slot will be how he will use Trent
I will be very curious when the season starts