Author Topic: Watches  (Read 255202 times)

Offline kopite77

• Legacy Fan
  • In Jurgen we trust!
Re: Watches
« Reply #1680 on: May 8, 2021, 11:42:58 pm »
Thanks mate. Yeah I’ve seen that one doing rounds for around £500... I’m in no rush, so might see if there are some deals over next few months.
Yes, as Lusty said they are a decent entry level Swiss Brand part part of the Swatch Group, which includes Omega, Tissot, Longines and many others including ETA Movements. this watch contains a H-10 movement, which is basically the ETA 2824, these are excellent Swiss workhorse movements and are very accurate between +5 -5 seconds a day, when properly regulated, I have a few watches with ETA 2824 movements and they tend to run between +2 -2 seconds a day.

Your watch also has a 80 hour reserve which is excellent.
HARRY HARRIS, MARK LAWRENSON, JOSE MOURIHNO,PETER KENYON, ROMAN ABRAMOVICH, ALAN HANSEN, YOU GUY'S TOOK ONE HELL OF A BEATING

AND Mr KENWRIGHT YOU CAN STICK YOUR FUCKING GROUNDSHARE UP YOUR ARSE!

Hicks and Gillett, Game Over, thanks for Fuck All Fuckfaces, Internet Terrorist and Proud!

Offline Phineus

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1681 on: May 8, 2021, 11:46:01 pm »
Yes, as Lusty said they are a decent entry level Swiss Brand part part of the Swatch Group, which includes Omega, Tissot, Longines and many others including ETA Movements. this watch contains a H-10 movement, which is basically the ETA 2824, these are excellent Swiss workhorse movements and are very accurate between +5 -5 seconds a day, when properly regulated, I have a few watches with ETA 2824 movements and they tend to run between +2 -2 seconds a day.

Your watch also has a 80 hour reserve which is excellent.

Good to know!

I’ve got an Oyster Perpetual which is my pride and joy but looking for something a tad more casual for summer that won’t break the bank and had my eyes on this for a while.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1682 on: May 9, 2021, 08:31:14 am »
Thanks mate. Yeah I’ve seen that one doing rounds for around £500... I’m in no rush, so might see if there are some deals over next few months.
Chrono24 has one in Germany for £351, back before Brexit that would have been a no brainer but you'd have to pay import duties now.

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1683 on: May 9, 2021, 08:57:52 am »
I'm wondering, Is this a decent watch for the money?    :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seiko-Analogue-Automatic-Stainless-SRPD59K1/dp/B07WGMTVRL/ref=pd_rhf_se_p_img_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=231P909E6V62C2NG7V5V
A year later what I have to say is it's nice enough to look at but the time keeping is hopeless. It seems to lose about a minute per day, every day of the week which is pretty annoying.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #1684 on: May 9, 2021, 11:22:16 am »
It's capable of much better than that. Take it to your local watchmaker and ask them to regulate it. They will probably need a week to keep hold of it and make minor adjustments until it's keeping perfect time.
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1685 on: May 9, 2021, 11:37:53 am »
It's capable of much better than that. Take it to your local watchmaker and ask them to regulate it. They will probably need a week to keep hold of it and make minor adjustments until it's keeping perfect time.
OK I will do that tomorrow, thanks very much.  Would you have any idea how much it will cost me?

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1686 on: May 9, 2021, 12:45:06 pm »
Shouldn't be too much. Maybe £20-30?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1687 on: May 9, 2021, 05:43:00 pm »
Shouldn't be too much. Maybe £20-30?
OK, champion and thanks for your advice.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1688 on: May 28, 2021, 08:45:25 pm »
Latest addition - 1949 Omega "bumper" automatic (pre-Seamaster). Picked it up for £380. Given the smaller size of these vintage pieces, I added to the wrist presence a bit with a vintage style bund strap, and topped it off with a deployment buckle. Really nice piece that I think will prove a good investment.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 08:49:51 pm by ۩ Imperator ۩ »

Offline nuts100

• RAWK's Squirrel Accountant
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1689 on: May 29, 2021, 12:57:07 am »
Good taste sir

Really want another Omega but not sure what to get. I have my dads from the 70’s.

I got invited to a pre release of all the new Rolex models
Put my name down on 3. Got no chance on any

However the meteorite Daytona is stunning. However no fucker is getting that unless they spend serious coin

Put my name down for blue skydweller Batman and Pepsi all stainless steel models

No chance on any

The new Wimbledon 36mm is gorgeous for a modern girl
« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 01:01:38 am by nuts100 »

Offline kopite77

• Legacy Fan
  • In Jurgen we trust!
« Reply #1690 on: May 29, 2021, 05:19:50 pm »
Good taste sir

Really want another Omega but not sure what to get. I have my dads from the 70’s.

I got invited to a pre release of all the new Rolex models
Put my name down on 3. Got no chance on any

However the meteorite Daytona is stunning. However no fucker is getting that unless they spend serious coin

Put my name down for blue skydweller Batman and Pepsi all stainless steel models

No chance on any

The new Wimbledon 36mm is gorgeous for a modern girl
I would love to buy a Rolex stainless steel Submariner at list price, but that's never going to happen with Rolex now they simply aren't interested in selling watches to plebs, unless you agree to buy your missus a precious metal Datejust, if you agree to that they will suddenly deal with you.

I've even heard Rolex are phasing out stainless steel watches, how mad is that not being able to buy a Tool Watch like the Submariner in stainless steel? I'm hoping to get a Tudor Black Bay 58 Blue on bracelet on Monday, I've got an appointment at David M Robinson to try one, I really like the look of the Pelagos Blue, but at 42mm it's just to big for my small wrist!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 06:27:29 pm by kopite77 »
HARRY HARRIS, MARK LAWRENSON, JOSE MOURIHNO,PETER KENYON, ROMAN ABRAMOVICH, ALAN HANSEN, YOU GUY'S TOOK ONE HELL OF A BEATING

Hicks and Gillett, Game Over, thanks for Fuck All Fuckfaces, Internet Terrorist and Proud!

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1691 on: May 29, 2021, 05:56:32 pm »
I would love to buy a Rolex stainless steel Submariner at list price, but that's never going to happen with Rolex now they simply aren't interested in selling watches to plebs, unless you agree to buy your missus a precious metal Datejust, if you agree to that they will suddenly deal with you.

I've even heard Rolex are phasing out stainless steel watches, how mad is that not being able to buy a Tool Watch like the Submariner in stainless steel? I'm hoping to get a Tudor Black Bay 58 Blue on bracelet on Monday, I've got an appointment at David M Robinson on Monday to try one, I really like the look of the Pelagos Blue, but at 42mm it's just to big for my small wrist!
Tudor are great watches. More or less a Rolex
I was offered a new 36mm date just today, but I want the new Wimbledon dial and it wasn’t so I let it go.

Biggest mistake was saying no to a new sub a few months ago and also a black skydweller at the same time.
Could have made 10grand selling them within 24hrs.

Buy the Tudor, great watch. If not go get an Omega

Offline kopite77

• Legacy Fan
  • In Jurgen we trust!
« Reply #1692 on: June 1, 2021, 07:37:55 am »
I was offered a new 36mm date just today, but I want the new Wimbledon dial and it wasn’t so I let it go.

Biggest mistake was saying no to a new sub a few months ago and also a black skydweller at the same time.

I bought the Black Bay 58 Blue, it's an excellent watch the only slight complaint I have is about the bracelet and it's the lack of any on the fly micro adjustment like the Rolex Glidelock or even Tudors own as is used on the Pelagos, but for the price it's an excellent watch.

Offline kopite77

• Legacy Fan
  • In Jurgen we trust!
« Reply #1693 on: June 1, 2021, 09:26:47 am »
Producer Michael shows us some of his "cheap" watches.

Check out some of his expensive ones, you'r eyes will pop out. Probably.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JELvFACEL4

I’ve seen a few of his videos, his idea of “cheap” watches is about $150.000 and most of his watches are blinged out AP’s, Patek’s and Hublot’s, most of which Mr T and Bet Lynch would say are over the top and vulgar! ;D ;D

Online Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #1694 on: June 12, 2021, 09:29:11 am »

I love straps like this with a watch that suits it. Gives off a real vintage 'adventurer' vibe. I bought a cheap £50 one back in the day that is still knocking about somewhere but it doesn't look classy like that. I've looked about but the strap design doesn't seem too common, do people generally add their own or is there a particular term to search for?

Not remotely on the level of some of you lot (I do have an inherited Rolex that I'm afraid to wear anywhere in Luton) but I just took delivery of the black version of my old 'holiday' Seiko after finding a single US seller with it still available. I never used to wear watches regularly before as I'd always forget to wind them, or not notice the batteriy had died -  but these are solar.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1695 on: June 12, 2021, 11:36:25 am »
I love straps like this with a watch that suits it. Gives off a real vintage 'adventurer' vibe. I bought a cheap £50 one back in the day that is still knocking about somewhere but it doesn't look classy like that. I've looked about but the strap design doesn't seem too common, do people generally add their own or is there a particular term to search for?
They call them "bund" straps. Rios1931 do nice ones.

Online Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #1696 on: June 12, 2021, 02:31:55 pm »
They call them "bund" straps. Rios1931 do nice ones.

Thanks! So people generally fit them to existing watches? That explains why I haven't seen that many for sale.

Seems they're quite divisive too:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/editorial-case-for-bund-straps

https://timeandtidewatches.com/not-on-my-watch-please-stop-with-the-bund-strap/
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1697 on: June 12, 2021, 08:00:33 pm »
I think they work well on a particular kind of watch, but sometimes you see them on bigger watches and they add unnecessary bulk. I used it on this one specifically to add bulk as the watch is small. Just gives it that little bit more presence on the wrist. Some of the bund straps in that second article are absolutely hideous though.

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #1698 on: June 20, 2021, 06:06:00 pm »
I think everyone who pops in here will like this.

https://twitter.com/AdilNajam/status/1406464401868218374?s=19
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline kopite77

• Legacy Fan
  • In Jurgen we trust!
« Reply #1699 on: June 20, 2021, 06:43:15 pm »

Excellent, I love watching those watch restoration videos on YouTube, these watch restores truly are craftsmen/women!

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #1700 on: August 3, 2021, 12:07:04 am »

I never really liked the look of the Wimbledon dial when I saw it online, but finally saw it in real life at a dealer and it does look good, was surprised to see it on the shelves to be honest, given that even Datejusts seem to be getting tight on supply for stainless steel models

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1701 on: August 3, 2021, 02:55:51 am »

That's pretty impressive

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1702 on: September 2, 2021, 11:23:36 am »
Some people won’t, but I really like this

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/omega-speedmaster-silver-snoopy-award-50th-anniversary-introducing
Already all sold.
No chance of getting one unless you pay stupid money to the flippers

Originally went for $9,600 now going for $35,000

Nice ROI.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1703 on: October 14, 2021, 11:54:13 pm »
Thoughts on Breitling’s folks? I always thought most were a bit garish but I do like this.

https://www.breitling.com/gb-en/watches/navitimer/navitimer-automatic-41/A17326161C1/?watch=A17326161C1A1

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1704 on: October 15, 2021, 01:18:47 am »
Thoughts on Breitling’s folks? I always thought most were a bit garish but I do like this.

https://www.breitling.com/gb-en/watches/navitimer/navitimer-automatic-41/A17326161C1/?watch=A17326161C1A1

I find their watch faces far too busy.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline SouthDerryLaggo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Enjoy these times
YNWA

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1706 on: October 15, 2021, 10:57:00 am »
I find their watch faces far too busy.

Yeah I have thought the same for years but I do like that Navitimer

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1707 on: October 15, 2021, 05:07:27 pm »

I have a Navitimer from 2000. Out of all the watches I have, it gets more comments than all the others combined.

If it were me, I'd get the classic Navitimer. It's a classic as much as the  Submariner or Moon Watch are

Just my 2cents

Something like

https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Breitling/Navitimer%2001/AB0127/51754/item/192193

You can find them a lot cheaper  ;)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 05:11:06 pm by nuts100 »

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1708 on: October 15, 2021, 07:48:30 pm »

Find a lot of them a bit big and clunky, and they've charged a lot of money for some tat over the years, but more recent releases with the new movement are good again.

You should be able to get a good discount on one.

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1709 on: October 23, 2021, 07:09:31 pm »

Tried it on today. The 41mm is too small for me I think. 43 min even a 46 if I’m spending that much but the price is rising rapidly. I was happy with the just under 4k for that one but now I know I want larger it’s closer to 6k. For that I can get the 43mm IWC’s I’ve always loved.

https://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/IWC-Pilot-quote.s-43mm-Mens-Watch-IW377710/p/17810506

Or

https://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/IWC-Pilot-quote.s--quote.Le-Petit-Prince-quote.-43mm-Mens-Watch-IW377717/p/17810574

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1710 on: October 23, 2021, 07:50:26 pm »
Tried it on today. The 41mm is too small for me I think. 43 min even a 46 if I’m spending that much but the price is rising rapidly. I was happy with the just under 4k for that one but now I know I want larger it’s closer to 6k. For that I can get the 43mm IWC’s I’ve always loved.

https://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/IWC-Pilot-quote.s-43mm-Mens-Watch-IW377710/p/17810506

Or

https://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/IWC-Pilot-quote.s--quote.Le-Petit-Prince-quote.-43mm-Mens-Watch-IW377717/p/17810574

Iwc’s are fantastic. I’d be tempted by the Top Gun Pilot watch. A classic and you won’t lose money. Imho but you have to like it 😉

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1711 on: October 23, 2021, 09:25:36 pm »

Vintage yes. Modern no.
806 Navitimer is one of the greatest watches ever made.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1712 on: October 23, 2021, 11:22:20 pm »

Or

Can't say I like either enough to justify that outlay.

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #1713 on: October 26, 2021, 06:15:17 am »
Bought a 1980 Vostok whilst in the ex soviet Republic of Kyrgyzstan... just got it back from being reconditioned...
During the recording sessions in Los Angeles, Spector held Johnny at gunpoint, forcing him to repeatedly play a riff.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1714 on: November 20, 2021, 07:52:42 am »
Well here's a bargain for you...

Where would you look for an elegant, chronometer certified, automatic Swiss wristwatch from a venerable, heritage brand?

TK MAXX of course!

https://www.tkmaxx.com/uk/en/men/accessories/watches+jewellery/watches/black-chronometre-automatic-watch/p/76495609

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1715 on: November 20, 2021, 10:04:17 pm »
Well here's a bargain for you...

Where would you look for an elegant, chronometer certified, automatic Swiss wristwatch from a venerable, heritage brand?

TK MAXX of course!

https://www.tkmaxx.com/uk/en/men/accessories/watches+jewellery/watches/black-chronometre-automatic-watch/p/76495609
;D quite decent watch.

Offline gravy red

• Kopite
« Reply #1716 on: December 8, 2021, 04:00:57 pm »
Having never bought a decent watch, but always wanted. Can anyone give me advice on these 2 (I know nothing   ???.

A Rolex moon face Cellini. Also looked at something different in Ap jules Audrmars.

I’m currently looking in Milan shops and seen these 2.

Any thoughts and advice would be great.
By the way I’m also hoping to invest in the right piece (no guarantee on that of course)
Thanks
« Last Edit: December 8, 2021, 04:06:18 pm by gravy red »

Offline ElMagico

• hato with a rabbito. Abrocadabro!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1717 on: December 8, 2021, 05:12:22 pm »
Having never bought a decent watch, but always wanted. Can anyone give me advice on these 2 (I know nothing   ???.

A Rolex moon face Cellini. Also looked at something different in Ap jules Audrmars.

By the way I’m also hoping to invest in the right piece (no guarantee on that of course)
Thanks

Calatrava 5196r

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #1718 on: December 10, 2021, 02:08:50 pm »
Who wouldn't want an official Premier League watch? A perfect Xmas present. A snip at a mere *checks price* £4,300.  **falls over**

From Hublot, naturally.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1719 on: December 10, 2021, 03:59:07 pm »

Thanks

Both lovely watches if you constantly wear a suit, but neither is very versatile in that you can't dress them down. If I was only going through own one watch, I wouldn't make it a dressy one.