Author Topic: Rhys Williams  (Read 77707 times)

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Rhys Williams
« Reply #160 on: October 28, 2020, 01:11:21 am »
Hopefully sold in January as he's not very good
Van Den Berg is even younger than Williams ...
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #161 on: October 28, 2020, 01:14:04 am »

He's an 18 year old centre back? Seems incredibly premature to write him off as 'not very good'. At the moment he seems to be behind 3 players of a similar age and I guess the ball is in his court as to whether he wants to move on to get closer to first team football. But from the club's perspective I can't see that there needs to be any rush to sell him for what would be a pretty nominal fee.

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: October 28, 2020, 01:15:33 am »
Well Marko Grujic is at Porto for the season so that might throw a wrench in your plans there

Yep that is a pretty comprehensive spanner  :duh - missed that.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #163 on: October 28, 2020, 01:38:56 am »
What makes you say that especially about an 18-year-old defender who was very highly rated before he came? That that he hasn't set the PL alight yet? Slacker...
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #164 on: October 28, 2020, 01:58:43 am »
Some proper twats on this forum sometimes!

Offline KirkVanHouten

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: October 28, 2020, 03:34:28 am »
He's a big lad and seems reasonably athletic too. He wasn't really tested all that much after coming on, so it's hard to gauge his level thus far.

While it's concerning how thin we are at CB, one of the great parts of football is seeing young lads thrown in the deep end and showing their worth.

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #166 on: October 28, 2020, 03:50:39 am »
Really needs to cut that hair off before he plays someone onside with it
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: October 28, 2020, 04:15:32 am »
Time to shine Rhys.
Believer

Offline 88_RED

• Not a real bookie though.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: October 28, 2020, 04:49:23 am »

:lmao :lmao
F*CK 0FF Mourinho..

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #169 on: October 28, 2020, 05:04:54 am »
VAR is going to split hairs.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: October 28, 2020, 05:23:08 am »
Calm as you like.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #171 on: October 28, 2020, 06:34:50 am »
How did he look tonight? Going off the league cup games he is a long way off being ready to start in the league and I'd be much more comfortable seeing one of the senior midfielders dropping into centre back and Grujic (who really impressed me in those LC games and has a couple of seasons under his belt playing toppish level football) playing as a DM to do the heading if we are lacking height.

He did alright. They didn't seem to want to try to target him in the way you know some Premier League teams would but he made one particularly nice interception. Just generally solid although you could see how the rest of the team were also stepping up to make some of his options a bit easier for him - Alisson, Henderson, Joe Gomez, and TAA in particular. Klopp name checked Phillips post-match so would think that's where he'll be looking if he needs to but Williams hasn't done himself any harm with that performance.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Dave D

• Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: October 28, 2020, 06:54:17 am »
Next man up.

Welcome to Liverpool Rhys Williams. Our new signing.

Offline Carra-ton

• Carrington, who plays there! derrr!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: October 28, 2020, 08:36:24 am »
Need an all touch compilation for him. Soon.
Hats off to Bill on his throne,
He set the club's standards in stone.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: October 28, 2020, 09:20:18 am »
Given Phillips was on the bench for Sheffield it looks like he is the PL back up (more solidly built) and Williams is the CL back up, not sure where Van De Berg fits

I hadn't thought of that, makes sense
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: October 28, 2020, 09:21:29 am »
Was excited to see him in the Welsh set up..

Don't let the name fool you
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Offline Abin465

• Main Stander
« Reply #176 on: October 28, 2020, 10:55:12 am »
Solid outing for him. Couple of times he tried to play it first time and misplaced the pass or put the receiver under pressure. If he can cut that out and take the time to control/shield the ball he should be fine

Offline dutchkop

• has an issue with his phlemish phalange (bunch of jackals, leave him alone).
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: October 28, 2020, 11:16:42 am »
good response from teh kid. if he is good enough then play him. Antonio of West ham will be a big step up on Sat if he starts. the kid has potential. Hopefully he gets a good chance to perform well.
 Personally I can see us going with Hendo and Gomez on Saturday and it would be great if Rhys could play the last 10-15 mins as Hendo is subbed off as we slowly build up his match fitness
how we get joel to match fitness is the other challenge

Online Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #178 on: October 28, 2020, 11:29:51 am »
He's clearly come on from his debut in the cup. I think adrenaline and wanting to impress lead to him trying to dive into tackles and be a hero, but his performances since then have shown him in a much calmer light.

Regardless of how long Fabinho is out for he'll get some more opportunities this season, at least up until the January window if we do any business then. But he didn't look out of place last night.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #179 on: October 28, 2020, 11:34:11 am »
He's clearly come on from his debut in the cup. I think adrenaline and wanting to impress lead to him trying to dive into tackles and be a hero, but his performances since then have shown him in a much calmer light.

Regardless of how long Fabinho is out for he'll get some more opportunities this season, at least up until the January window if we do any business then. But he didn't look out of place last night.

He wasn’t really tested but looked calm and composed.

It would be a show of faith to play him against West Ham.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 11:38:00 am by Nick110581 »
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: October 28, 2020, 11:44:30 am »

I rather him than Hendo being played there. At least he has the height and we'll need that against West Ham. It would be baptism by fire, but it is what it is at this point.

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: October 28, 2020, 11:45:30 am »
Antonio of West ham will be a big step up on Sat if he starts.

Antonio always seems to play well against us and he's a menace. He's an experienced, physical player with pretty good technical skills and is a handful for most defenders. They have had a good run of form since playing 5-4-1 with Antonio up front. I think if Matip isn't fit, then it'll be between Nat Phillips and Rhys. Nat has the edge in terms of experience, but I thought he looked pretty well below the standard in the cup game he played last season.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #182 on: October 28, 2020, 11:47:04 am »
I rather him than Hendo being played there. At least he has the height and we'll need that against West Ham. It would be baptism by fire, but it is what it is at this point.

The issue you have with playing Hendo there is options in midfield as a three of him, Thiago and Gini would be great.

West Ham would be a test but that’s how you learn.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: October 28, 2020, 11:50:25 am »
Antonio turns into George Weah in his prime when he plays us. I don't think Rhys is quite ready for that just yet.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #184 on: October 28, 2020, 11:51:44 am »
Antonio turns into George Weah in his prime when he plays us. I don't think Rhys is quite ready for that just yet.

I think he’s a doubt as came off last weekend.

You hope we would have a lot of the ball to counter that.

Offline simbo

• Kopite
« Reply #185 on: October 28, 2020, 12:00:57 pm »
Antonio always seems to play well against us and he's a menace. He's an experienced, physical player with pretty good technical skills and is a handful for most defenders. They have had a good run of form since playing 5-4-1 with Antonio up front. I think if Matip isn't fit, then it'll be between Nat Phillips and Rhys. Nat has the edge in terms of experience, but I thought he looked pretty well below the standard in the cup game he played last season.
Has to be Philips as Philips is not registered for the CL. And we need Rhys for the CL game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: October 28, 2020, 01:41:22 pm »
He'll need to work on his distribution in time but I love how he kept it simple today.

I thought much the same. He didn't try anything too clever, almost seemed to play within himself a bit - but that's a good way to avoid making rash mistakes. He seemed incredibly calm and composed.

Personally, I'd be happy to see him stepping up to fill in while Fab is out, based on last night's performance, but only the coaching staff will really know if he's really ready for that... West Ham, Atalanta and City will almost certainly be sterner tests than Midtjylland.

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
« Reply #187 on: October 28, 2020, 01:50:35 pm »
On his distribution, he played safe at times, which in the circumstances was understandable, but his passing to Trent was very slick and accurate

Offline dutchkop

• has an issue with his phlemish phalange (bunch of jackals, leave him alone).
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: October 28, 2020, 01:52:37 pm »
I think he’s a doubt as came off last weekend.

You hope we would have a lot of the ball to counter that.

good news if he is out. Our new CB pairing could do without playing against a rampant Antonio. I am not too @rsed if Klopp & co decide on Rhys, Hendo or Nat.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #189 on: October 28, 2020, 02:02:33 pm »
Well Done Big Man , just needs more games imo

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #190 on: October 28, 2020, 02:08:00 pm »
Didn't Phillips also look fairly assured against Everton? Is it purely their own performances, or does Gomez help his junior partner with instructions when he's the senior CB?
He did alright. They didn't seem to want to try to target him in the way you know some Premier League teams would but he made one particularly nice interception. Just generally solid although you could see how the rest of the team were also stepping up to make some of his options a bit easier for him - Alisson, Henderson, Joe Gomez, and TAA in particular. Klopp name checked Phillips post-match so would think that's where he'll be looking if he needs to but Williams hasn't done himself any harm with that performance.

I thought he was well supported by the rest of the backline. They avoided using him for any contentious passes and went long if in doubt. It was a bit of a sacrifice to our gameplan I think (though it's questionable how well that was working anyway!) and you could see midjtyland waiting to pounce, but never really got the opportunity.
However he did grow into the game and the interception and a couple of crisp passes as well as a dropped shoulder show he's been learning from Joe, Virg and the rest.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: October 28, 2020, 02:11:36 pm »
Big props to Joe as well, he sheppard him through the game.

Online exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #192 on: October 28, 2020, 02:20:01 pm »
Well done Big Man - really looking forward to seeing how you develop.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline kloppagetime

• Is severely disappointed with Liverpool’s performance levels in 2020, especially pre-season.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: October 28, 2020, 03:40:47 pm »
Looks a player he does from the appearances he's made so far he's never put a foot wrong if he keeps this up he's definitely good enough to be our 4th choice center back.

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #194 on: October 28, 2020, 03:47:27 pm »
Well Done Big Man , just needs more games imo
There are a number of our players whom he refer to as Big Man, but I'd say Rhys is in the running for Biggest Man. Maybe Billy might be taller?
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #195 on: October 28, 2020, 03:50:10 pm »
There are a number of our players whom he refer to as Big Man, but I'd say Rhys is in the running for Biggest Man. Maybe Billy might be taller?

I think Bily is beefier, Rhys more willowier. - if such a word exists.

Online Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #196 on: October 28, 2020, 03:55:40 pm »
I think Bily is beefier, Rhys more willowier. - if such a word exists.
More willowy is the correct form*, but willowier says it nicely :)

*believe it or not there is an actual rule for forming comparative adjectives in standard English !

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: October 28, 2020, 04:07:09 pm »

Offline Goalposts for Jumpers

• Mon Ranager's Alter-Ego.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: October 28, 2020, 04:07:30 pm »
What I've liked about him so far is that he's not tried to be too clever. It's a classic problem when (a) sticking midfielders back there, or (b) players are playing up a level and feel pressure to play the same way as the player they're replacing.

Get the basics right. Keep play moving. If in doubt, get rid. It works so long as he can defend and win his personal duels, which he seems able. We need a few more of these steady-eddy types in the squad, now Milner's coming to the end of his career. Fergy had loads of the bang-average bastards, O'Shea, Wes Brown, Smalling, Fletcher, Phil Neville, etc. Nothing special, but were happy with a squad role and did a job when called upon.

Offline SpionBob

• I have a signed Kenny Dalglish shirt on my wall-is that a bit gay?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • WITH JURGEN kLOPP WE WON IT 6 TIMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #199 on: October 28, 2020, 07:44:11 pm »
I have a good feeling about Rhys Williams. The last Preston born centre back who played for the Mighty Reds wasn't too shabby either.
Public enemy number one: On the RAWK watch list for offering alternative views, supporting Rafa and abusing ill informed WUMS with dubious agendas. Where's the crime in that? Victim of self-important mod with itchy finger.