Author Topic: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation  (Read 593015 times)

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Reply #13440 on: April 29, 2024, 12:25:38 pm »
Bollocks?

Our net spend last decade is on the level of fucking championship teams.

The only reason we were expecting Top 4 last decade because we had the biggest massive overachiever this game has ever seen.

To expect Top 4 with the money we spend reeks of arrogance and of complete lack of awareness.

If Slot is not a massive overachiever we're in trouble.

So we can't expect top 4 with a squad of Alisson, Trent, Van Dijk, Mac Allister, Salah, Jota, Diaz, Darwin etc etc because our net spend isn't great? Not the best logic is it?

Offline Avens

• Look around you! Clearly knows his Gary Gum from his Anti-Gary Gum.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13441 on: April 29, 2024, 12:30:01 pm »
That's fair enough so you're not really expecting Top 4 then.

May I remind everyone we are spending next to peanuts for years now...expecting Top 4 is batshit crazy.

Our only chance is finding a massive overachiever and if Slot is that guy likelihood is he's gonna need some time.

Yeah you've gone too far now. We're definitely capable of it based on our squad. Presumably we'll also strengthen in the summer. I'd be really hopeful we'll be at least the third best team in the league again, I just think we can allow a bit of mitigation for a new manager.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now. - Jurgen Klopp

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #13442 on: April 29, 2024, 12:30:18 pm »
So we can't expect top 4 with a squad of Alisson, Trent, Van Dijk, Mac Allister, Salah, Jota, Diaz, Darwin etc etc because our net spend isn't great? Not the best logic is it?
I was referring more to the near future rather than the very next season.

Mo is probably off, Virgil is one year older...it would be a challenging season for any manager especially the young one just coming into the best league in the world.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13443 on: April 29, 2024, 12:30:27 pm »
Bollocks?

Our net spend last decade is on the level of fucking championship teams.

The only reason we were expecting Top 4 last decade because we had the biggest massive overachiever this game has ever seen.

To expect Top 4 with the money we spend reeks of arrogance and of complete lack of awareness.

If Slot is not a massive overachiever we're in trouble.

the net spend argument is an load of shite, Klopp spent over £800 million on players in his 9 years, what we did was get good value in buys and sales and make the odd ridiculous sale of £140 million, like a properly ran business should.

ADFC don't count cos they fucking cheat, what have Utd got to show for an £888 million net spend? What about Chelsea with their £835 million net spend? Both clubs scream "thats how not to spend your money" Arsenal have a large net spend, but that is because they had no-one to sell and needed to buy, they were in a right mess, we aren't. We've got money to spend.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2024, 12:38:26 pm by rob1966 »
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #13444 on: April 29, 2024, 12:36:24 pm »
https://totalfootballanalysis.com/head-coach-analysis/coach-name-season-tactical-analysis-tactics

This is excellent and is from his first season in Rotterdam so it shows how quickly he had the team playing like he wants.

I like how flexible the 2 midfielders are.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2024, 12:37:56 pm by Giono »
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13445 on: April 29, 2024, 12:47:53 pm »
That's fair enough so you're not really expecting Top 4 then.

May I remind everyone we are spending next to peanuts for years now...expecting Top 4 is batshit crazy.

Our only chance is finding a massive overachiever and if Slot is that guy likelihood is he's gonna need some time.

Expecting top 4 with this squad is "batshit crazy"?  Are you underestimating the talent that is in the squad because the wheels have fallen off recently?

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13446 on: April 29, 2024, 12:48:18 pm »
Excuse me, what is this shit? (couldn't be arsed finding the Aurelio gif).

We've the second highest turnover in world football FFS.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline NickoH

• Has to fart in private to avoid offending the posh guys and gals in the Marketing Dept
  • Legacy Fan
  • Speak softly love so no one hears us but the sky
« Reply #13447 on: April 29, 2024, 12:55:41 pm »
Top 4 is an absolute minimum for me. We are in a much better place squad wise from when Klopp took over. With the right spends we can have a good go at the cups and also have a good run at the league.
I clutch the wire fence until my fingers bleed,
A wound that will not heal, a heart that cannot feel.
Hoping that the horror will recede,
Hoping that tomorrow we'll all be freed.........JUSTICE.

Offline Lisan Al Gaib

• Main Stander
  • Lead them to Paradise
« Reply #13448 on: April 29, 2024, 01:05:35 pm »
Top 4 is an absolute minimum for me. We are in a much better place squad wise from when Klopp took over. With the right spends we can have a good go at the cups and also have a good run at the league.

Absolutely top 4 is the minimum expectation and if that's not achieved Slot will be in a very tough situation with a fuck load of pressure to start the next season well. Its not batshit crazy to go for top 4 when you consider how poor the other challengers for it will be compared to us right now. Spurs are shit. Chelsea are shit. Man United are shit. Villa won't be as good as this next season. Newcastle will still have Eddie Howe. If we don't get top 4 next season he'll have failed his objectives.

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #13449 on: April 29, 2024, 01:13:44 pm »
I want to finish next season absolutely convinced the experiment is working, theres a long term project happening and we’re on course to have a good challenge the season after. That still holds for me even if we’re just outside the CL spots.

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13450 on: April 29, 2024, 01:16:52 pm »
I think it’s mad to demand top 4 when we are bringing in a new coach with different methods and expect everyone to hit the ground running straight away. It’s a lack of patience and understanding in just how hard it can be to get your ideas across to a group of players in a short space of time. If he doesn’t get top 4 are we going to sack him?

There are loads of variables that can affect a league position, and as long as I can see a pattern and style of play emerging and largely positive results, then that will do me in season one. The first season is always about building a base for the longer term, and getting the learning period out of the way first season will lead to positive results in the future.

Patience is absolutely needed by the fan base and sticking high pressured expactions on the manager in the first season while he adapts to a new league and gets his message over to the squad makes zero sense.

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13451 on: April 29, 2024, 01:17:21 pm »

Mo is probably off, Virgil is one year older...it would be a challenging season for any manager especially the young one just coming into the best league in the world.

He defo needs backing and plenty of it, I'm already fearing a summer of "Slot wants time to assess the squad" and "It's difficult in a tournament summer" type excuses but hopefully that's misplaced.

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13452 on: April 29, 2024, 01:20:21 pm »

Should we let Salah go on a free to boost the net spend if its the all important metric? This past 12 months has seen plenty of evidence that just spending more money has no correlation to achieving anything

What we do need is to make more good decisions on recruitment and add 3 or 4 players who can make a big contribution to the team. Getting Edwards back in is a big boost to this

Offline Mahern

• Kopite
« Reply #13453 on: April 29, 2024, 01:28:52 pm »
I'm with you there. The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long. Jürgen is burnt out and we've gone stale. It's natural progression. When Klopp came in he was a fresh broom. He swept away the cobwebs, opened the curtains and created something new. He reset the club. His journey is now complete and a new broom with fresh impetus is required.

I'm quite excited to see where our new direction takes us. We really don't know what to expect, and neither do our opponents. It could be a lot of fun finding out.

I'm of like mind. We needed a builder before, now we need an operator. And I am optimistic that this is what we're getting.

Offline istvan kozma

• Legacy Fan
  • "We have dreams and songs to sing"
« Reply #13454 on: April 29, 2024, 01:29:41 pm »
He defo needs backing and plenty of it, I'm already fearing a summer of "Slot wants time to assess the squad" and "It's difficult in a tournament summer" type excuses but hopefully that's misplaced.
Why would you fear that?
You'd think the shambles at Chelsea would make people realise that assessing your squad during pre season, before spending is the right thing to do for a new manager.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2024, 01:31:39 pm by istvan kozma »

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13455 on: April 29, 2024, 01:32:51 pm »
Should we let Salah go on a free to boost the net spend if its the all important metric? This past 12 months has seen plenty of evidence that just spending more money has no correlation to achieving anything

What we do need is to make more good decisions on recruitment and add 3 or 4 players who can make a big contribution to the team. Getting Edwards back in is a big boost to this

Exactly, Matip and Thiago will leave so I'd expect their wages will be used to renew contracts and give us some flexibility to improve the squad via transfers.

People will hate it because ya know agendas but Bradley and Quansah will save us fortunes. Likewise I'm excited to see what the future holds for Beck, Bajcetic, Carvalho, Gordon, Doak etc. etc.

The squad needs 2-3 signings of elite cusp players but Slot is all about getting youngsters in for their energy so I'd expect more to step up just as much as we sign some players.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13456 on: April 29, 2024, 01:44:25 pm »

If Jurgen wasn't leaving would you be thinking that? This season we've done, with a whole new midfield and an impression of a full series of the BBC casualty, way more than could be expected. We all thought next season would be the real push for the league.

There will be targets, Jurgen said himself if was while talking about this coming summers transfers targets that he knew he was done, so do expect players to be brought in.

Exactly, Matip and Thiago will leave so I'd expect their wages will be used to renew contracts and give us some flexibility to improve the squad via transfers.

People will hate it because ya know agendas but Bradley and Quansah will save us fortunes. Likewise I'm excited to see what the future holds for Beck, Bajcetic, Carvalho, Gordon, Doak etc. etc.

The squad needs 2-3 signings of elite cusp players but Slot is all about getting youngsters in for their energy so I'd expect more to step up just as much as we sign some players.

I love the fact that our academy is producing 1st team players, otherwise what is the point of it? The added bonus is saving the club hundreds of millions in transfers. I expect Danns to see more playing time next season too.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2024, 01:46:17 pm by rob1966 »
Jurgen YNWA

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13457 on: April 29, 2024, 01:45:07 pm »
It doesn’t seem unreasonable to include finishing in the top four among a range of performance targets but some people are talking about it as if it is the sole determiner of success or failure, which is overly reductive and simplistic.

I’m sure Edwards/Hughes will be constantly reviewing Slot’s performance and achievements over the course of the season and will judge him against a number of detailed KPIs.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #13458 on: April 29, 2024, 01:45:12 pm »
I think a drop off in Klopp's energy levels has resulted in a corresponding fall off in the level of the team. Since Klopp announced his departure we have also seen a lack of unity on the pitch. This thread is fucking nuts.

Klopp is for me one of the greatest managers the game has ever seen. Yet we have posters stating with an incredible lack of awareness that they hope Slot sorts out the defence and improves the forwards finishing. We had one poster stating we have needed a reset for a while.

It is reminiscent of the absolute lunacy we had when Hodgson was replacing Benitez. I think a lot of people are in for a rude awakening. Klopp has done an incredible job this season basically bedding in a whole midfield and for me we have massively overachieved.

I think people forget how we were doing prior to Klopp's arrival. We had qualified for the CL once under FSG and finished 6th, 8th, 2nd, 6th, 8th and 7th. The assumption that with an unproven at this level SD and unproven Coach at this level. That we have an automatic right to finish top 4 is bizarre.

It is both disrespectful to Klopp and extremely unhelpful to Slot.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #13459 on: April 29, 2024, 01:50:05 pm »
Why would you fear that?
You'd think the shambles at Chelsea would make people realise that assessing your squad during pre season, before spending is the right thing to do for a new manager.

Why are you bringing Chelsea into it when it is crystal clear that the manager there has absolutely no control over who they bring in?
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13460 on: April 29, 2024, 01:50:32 pm »
It doesn’t seem unreasonable to include finishing in the top four among a range of performance targets but some people are talking about it as if it is the sole determiner of success or failure, which is overly reductive and simplistic.

I’m sure Edwards/Hughes will be constantly reviewing Slot’s performance and achievements over the course of the season and will judge him against a number of detailed KPIs.

In this league, then with the squad we have, top 3 is our realistic aim, we are deffo in the 3 best teams. Spurs are struggling, the Mancs are fucking shite, Newcastle and Chelsea ditto, so it's whether Villa can go again that determines who gets 4th. The club needs CL for the money too.

Of course seasons can go to shit due to injuries/red cards/cheating referees costing us points. As someone else said, we'll see from performances if he's the right man and if he is, then if we do miss top 4 and its not down to the football itself, then we have to accept if we don't finish top 4 and go again the season after
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13461 on: April 29, 2024, 01:57:43 pm »
If Jurgen wasn't leaving would you be thinking that? This season we've done, with a whole new midfield and an impression of a full series of the BBC casualty, way more than could be expected. We all thought next season would be the real push for the league.

There will be targets, Jurgen said himself if was while talking about this coming summers transfers targets that he knew he was done, so do expect players to be brought in.

I love the fact that our academy is producing 1st team players, otherwise what is the point of it? The added bonus is saving the club hundreds of millions in transfers. I expect Danns to see more playing time next season too.

It's brilliant, I'd much rather see a Bradley emerge than us sign someone.

Yep could add Danns, Chambers, Clark and more to that list.

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #13462 on: April 29, 2024, 01:58:14 pm »
In this league, then with the squad we have, top 3 is our realistic aim, we are deffo in the 3 best teams. Spurs are struggling, the Mancs are fucking shite, Newcastle and Chelsea ditto, so it's whether Villa can go again that determines who gets 4th. The club needs CL for the money too.

Of course seasons can go to shit due to injuries/red cards/cheating referees costing us points. As someone else said, we'll see from performances if he's the right man and if he is, then if we do miss top 4 and its not down to the football itself, then we have to accept if we don't finish top 4 and go again the season after

Bar the keeper though Rob we have huge question marks over the rest of the team. VVD and Matip will be 33 this summer. Ibou has injury and form issues. Who plays right back. Do we go again with Robbo. Is Quansah ready to be a defensive main stay.

We have similar issues with the midfield and attack. In our pomp we had 4 or 5 genuine world-class players. At the moment we have a very good squad but far fewer genuine world-class players.

It is great bringing through the kids from the Academy but it tends to result in transitional seasons. 
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #13463 on: April 29, 2024, 02:03:27 pm »
It's brilliant, I'd much rather see a Bradley emerge than us sign someone.

Yep could add Danns, Chambers, Clark and more to that list.

Only if you are prepared to have transitional seasons whilst you find out how good they are and whether they can cut it. Quansah is a perfect example. He has done absolutely brilliantly considering his age and lack of experience. Unfortunately, he has cost us in a number of games because kids will inevitably make mistakes early in their careers.

Look at Foden at City and how long it took him to come through. Or look at Cole Palmer and how he had to drop down a level to blossom. Expecting to throw in a load of kids at the same time whilst expecting to be almost guaranteed top 4 is hugely unrealistic.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13464 on: April 29, 2024, 02:05:13 pm »
I think it’s mad to demand top 4 when we are bringing in a new coach with different methods and expect everyone to hit the ground running straight away. It’s a lack of patience and understanding in just how hard it can be to get your ideas across to a group of players in a short space of time. If he doesn’t get top 4 are we going to sack him?

There are loads of variables that can affect a league position, and as long as I can see a pattern and style of play emerging and largely positive results, then that will do me in season one. The first season is always about building a base for the longer term, and getting the learning period out of the way first season will lead to positive results in the future.

Patience is absolutely needed by the fan base and sticking high pressured expactions on the manager in the first season while he adapts to a new league and gets his message over to the squad makes zero sense.

We have at least the third best squad in the league. How much will we need to drop off?

Sorry but anything outside the top four wouldn't be acceptable. I can accept being further off the top 2 teams in Arsenal and City, but to drop to 5th or 6th? With our squad, no way.

Offline Zimagic

• Legacy Fan
  • Liar, liar with your drawers on fire......
« Reply #13465 on: April 29, 2024, 02:07:01 pm »

From what we're hearing of Slot, I'd say he's more than done his homework on what the squad needs, probably even before he interviewed. In addition, he's reputedly big on using existing players and recruiting from the youth set-up (and working within a hugely restrained budget), I'd be very surprised if his first wish-list to Edwards wasn't really short.
"Truth, Justice, Freedom, Reasonably-Priced Love and a Hard-Boiled Egg!"

Online Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13466 on: April 29, 2024, 02:10:26 pm »
I don't see us doing too much business in the summer. Looks like we're after a centre half to replace Matip according to Tap-In. I don't think there'll be much business in midfield, which will disappoint many on here. Maybe a wide forward? We probably won't replace Trent if he's sold and just recruit from within.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #13467 on: April 29, 2024, 02:10:57 pm »
How can you not see the reason why we got away with minimal net spend over last 9 years?

Klopp practically didn't make a single meaningful mistake in the market over that period. It's a small miracle, it's why we'll be crying our eyes out in few weeks.

We either need to keep finding managers who perform like this or we need to up our spending significantly so the managers who are only human can be allowed to make mistakes and still be successful.

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13468 on: April 29, 2024, 02:10:58 pm »

Completely agree with all of that. I’m optimistic we’ll be in contention for top three again but won’t turn against Slot if we’re not, especially if we’re hit with the same problems we’ve had this season. Main thing is to give him the opportunity to get the team playing his way and showing meaningful signs of progress.

Yes, getting into the Champions league is important financially but it’s never guaranteed, however good the manager is, and the whole point of keeping us on a financially sustainable footing is to be able to survive blips like last season (some other clubs would have sacked Klopp last summer, thank fuck we didn’t or we’d be in an even worse position now).

Offline istvan kozma

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13469 on: April 29, 2024, 02:12:29 pm »
Why are you bringing Chelsea into it when it is crystal clear that the manager there has absolutely no control over who they bring in?
Totally irrelevant to the point I'm making, whether it's the club making signings (Chelsea) or the manager (United). Assessing your squad during pre season, before spending is the right thing to do for a new manager.

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #13470 on: April 29, 2024, 02:15:18 pm »
Totally irrelevant to the point I'm making, whether it's the club making signings (Chelsea) or the manager (United). Assessing your squad during pre season, before spending is the right thing to do for a new manager.

The irrelevance is that we aren't appointing a manager. We are appointing a Head Coach and it won't be Slot who is responsible for recruitment. Given a huge chunk of our players will be at the Euro's or Copa. I think assessing players in pre-season before spending is a pipe dream. The recruitment team will have been working on targets for months.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2024, 02:17:22 pm by Eeyore »
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13471 on: April 29, 2024, 02:19:18 pm »
The irrelevance is that we aren't appointing a manager. We are appointing a Head Coach and it won't be Slot who is responsible for recruitment. Given a huge chunk of our players will be at the Euro's or Copa. I think assessing players in pre-season before spending is a pipe dream. The recruitment team will have been working on targets for months.

Tap-In is reporting we're after a centre half and Slot hasn't even been announced yet.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Buster Gonad

• Kopite
« Reply #13472 on: April 29, 2024, 02:19:23 pm »
I'm finding it difficult to know what's an acceptable season next year. Personally I think we have the overall strongest squad in the league. Our injury crisis would have killed any team. Its our first 11that we haven't got the mix right with. I doubt we'll make more than 1 or 2 signings.
I keep wondering how much having a colossal presence like Klopp in the dressing room is worth. It's impossible to quantify.  Has he made us look better than we actually are?  Then there's the issue of whether Slot can become the main man in the set up.  Can he gain authority with the senior players? To be fair he seems like a big character.  His first few months will certainly be interesting. I think top 4 will be the aim. It'd be fantastic if we challenged again but unlikely I'd say.

Offline Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13473 on: April 29, 2024, 02:19:37 pm »
Only if you are prepared to have transitional seasons whilst you find out how good they are and whether they can cut it. Quansah is a perfect example. He has done absolutely brilliantly considering his age and lack of experience. Unfortunately, he has cost us in a number of games because kids will inevitably make mistakes early in their careers.

Look at Foden at City and how long it took him to come through. Or look at Cole Palmer and how he had to drop down a level to blossom. Expecting to throw in a load of kids at the same time whilst expecting to be almost guaranteed top 4 is hugely unrealistic.

O look you're cherry picking parts of peoples posts to further your agenda against laptop eddie and FSG.

No-one has said we will rely on kids, my post earlier even specifically said we need to bring in 2-3 players on the cusp of elite i.e. the new versions of Mane, Fabinho, Salah, Firmino etc. Along with some of our youngsters stepping up.

You use Quansah as an example he made 1 mistake yet our forwards failed to put the game away so that one mistake of youth didn't cost us anything.

You also ignore Bradley who has been nothing short of a revelation, the kid was driving our attack forward.

However what is very clear is Slot likes to bring young players through, just like Klopp, he specifically says it brings energy to the team and in my humble opinion the energy went out of our side when the kids stopped playing for the seniors to come back in.

"Liverpool’s academy has proven fertile ground this season, as Klopp promoted talents including Conor Bradley, Jarell Quansah, Bobby Clark and Jayden Danns. Expect that to continue under his successor. Slot awarded 12,334 minutes to academy talent in the season Feyenoord won the league. During our visit, he reflected, “Youth players in your first team give energy. And if people feel they can grow inside the club, that drives the culture. I don’t believe that much in experience; I believe more in game intelligence, and young players can have much more than an older player.” He said this mindset, where anybody can progress, should extend beyond the dressing room, citing how Frank Boer, a former marketing department intern at the club, had gone on to become their team-manager, overseeing player care."
« Last Edit: April 29, 2024, 02:23:24 pm by Draex »

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #13474 on: April 29, 2024, 02:19:41 pm »
We have at least the third best squad in the league. How much will we need to drop off?

Sorry but anything outside the top four wouldn't be acceptable. I can accept being further off the top 2 teams in Arsenal and City, but to drop to 5th or 6th? With our squad, no way.

We finished 5th last season on 67 points with Klopp as manager and with players like Salah and Virgil a year or two younger.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline istvan kozma

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13475 on: April 29, 2024, 02:22:02 pm »
The irrelevance is that we aren't appointing a manager. We are appointing a Head Coach and it won't be Slot who is responsible for recruitment.
Again your point is totally irrelevant, maybe you should think before typing instead of looking for an argument. Whether it's the club making the final decision on signings or the manager, it doesn't stop a manager assessing players before going into the transfer market.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #13476 on: April 29, 2024, 02:23:16 pm »
Its perfectly possible that our spending goes up, since we are back in the CL, Annie Road is 95% complete and bringing in revenue and we are likely to lose Thiago, Matip and maybe 1 or 2 other seniors from the wage bill.

That said, if we only bring in 1 or 2 (first team) players (providing they fill the gaps in the squad), that would be acceptable as well.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13477 on: April 29, 2024, 02:24:17 pm »

It’s a squad set up to play Jurgen Klopp's style of football, not Arne Slot’s. There will be a transition period but it sounds like you expect them to hit the ground running and everyone to smoothly adapt to the new way of working. I think if we are hitting the 70 point mark at least then thats a decent first season to build on.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #13478 on: April 29, 2024, 02:27:07 pm »

Agreed. We have a very good squad that needs a bit of strengthening. On our day we can compete with any team in Europe. I do feel that we have a lot of injuries and we lose energy towards the end of the season. Maybe a change in style will help that.

We cannot rest on our laurels and let the squad age. We need to keep refreshing it and improving it.
#JFT97

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13479 on: April 29, 2024, 02:28:43 pm »
We finished 5th last season on 67 points with Klopp as manager and with players like Salah and Virgil a year or two younger.

Thats with a practically finished midfield off the back of a much more taxing season than this. Despite all that we finished 5th.

We have a group of younger players who now have an extra years experience. If we finish 5th in that context then it isn;t good enough.