Author Topic: Football commentator/pundits  (Read 54926 times)

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
Re: 2018 - Who's the best commentator/pundit?
« Reply #440 on: February 26, 2024, 12:29:34 pm »
Wish BT would stop brining Rio Ferdinand in during games for his expert tactical analysis. During the Arsenal game he was on about Rice and how he should attack more, because in Europe he has scored loads of goals playing more advanced. Rice has scored 3 goals in Europe, ever
Yes, I was left thinking has he, was trying to think of all those European goals he’d bagged for WH last season and Arsenal so far.

Football punditry is as bad as it’s ever been and it won’t get any better as they don’t want it to.

This is the type of coverage they tell us we want and it’s why they won’t give us a no Comms option as they want to control the narrative as much as possible and make sure we hear it
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #441 on: February 26, 2024, 12:32:29 pm »
I thought Neville was actually not that bad yesterday.  Gushed over Kelleher non-stop, talked up Klopp loads and put the boot into Chelsea.

"Special managers do special things. It's a bantamweight squad but punches like a heavyweight and that is because of Klopp".
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #442 on: February 26, 2024, 12:35:02 pm »
Peter Drury is an absolute wank.

Agreed. God knows why people rate him, his 'speech' before the match yesterday was absolutely laughable. Like, some of the worse punditry you'll ever hear.

At one point, talking about Chelsea's form, he said their team selection came from 'the calm oasis of pleasing form' ... and then before the kick off went with 'The rhapsody in blue in discourse with the red ... (some utter bollocks after that).

Tries PAINFULLY to be some prophet of football punditry.
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #443 on: February 26, 2024, 12:35:59 pm »
Agreed. God knows why people rate him, his 'speech' before the match yesterday was absolutely laughable. Like, some of the worse punditry you'll ever hear.

At one point, talking about Chelsea's form, he said their team selection came from 'the calm oasis of pleasing form' ... and then before the kick off went with 'The rhapsody in blue in discourse with the red ... (some utter bollocks after that).

Tries PAINFULLY to be some prophet of football punditry.

At the start, he went on for ages and I thought he had no co commentator.

His rehearsed lines are fucking bollocks.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #444 on: February 26, 2024, 12:37:33 pm »
Very scripted at the end as well when he referred to heavy metal football, blathered on about rock and roll I think and then some laboured pun about our rhythm upsetting the blues.

Can’t back those asking for a return of Tyler as at least he gets himself excited, but still very hammy.

Offline In the Name of Klopp

• smann. Talks as if he/she/they single handedly saw off H&G in 2010.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #445 on: February 26, 2024, 12:42:40 pm »
I like Drury. I think he's a massive upgrade from Tyler. Yes, he has his cringe moments, but I'll take them over Tyler's commentary any day.
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #446 on: February 26, 2024, 01:48:31 pm »
I watched the ITV highlights over lunch and Matthew Upson was co-commentating.  He came across well - certainly better than the wittering of the Sky commentary team.

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #447 on: February 26, 2024, 07:39:47 pm »
Clichy coming over well tonight on Sky.

Offline Jwils21

• Justwindy,innit,lowestspeed21 (knots)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #448 on: February 26, 2024, 08:55:04 pm »
“Harvested from the depths of South America, roasted to excellence, a delivery of pure excitement”

- Peter Drury ordering a coffee

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
« Reply #449 on: February 26, 2024, 08:58:02 pm »
Watching this:

https://youtu.be/rgudfRMXCaY?si=ihNusna00yKj-fPg

Fuck me, Drury will not shut up.  c*nt thinks he's Shakespeare.
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.

Offline Bread

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #450 on: February 26, 2024, 10:37:29 pm »
I thought Neville was actually not that bad yesterday.  Gushed over Kelleher non-stop, talked up Klopp loads and put the boot into Chelsea.

"Special managers do special things. It's a bantamweight squad but punches like a heavyweight and that is because of Klopp".

Neville will talk up Klopp now for the rest of the season, because he's setting himself up to predict our imminent doom as soon as Klopp leaves the club.

Offline Zizou

• zo zon't ze zo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Cool as
« Reply #451 on: February 26, 2024, 11:04:26 pm »
Watching this:

https://youtu.be/rgudfRMXCaY?si=ihNusna00yKj-fPg

Fuck me, Drury will not shut up.  c*nt thinks he's Shakespeare.

It would fuck me off no end if he was spunking on about some other team like that, but 'cause it's us, it's great.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #452 on: February 26, 2024, 11:55:49 pm »
Clichy coming over well tonight on Sky.

Yes, impressed by Clichy’s tactical analysis.

Online Ski

• daddle. Wouldn't recognise an idea, if it rang his doorbell and got invited in for dinner. He will survive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #453 on: February 27, 2024, 09:05:18 am »
Neville’s comments about Chelsea bottling it are so little to actually do with Chelsea and so much more to do with his absolute hatred of us and us winning stuff that he dreams his shambles of club would be in the running to win.
Has Steven Gerrard scored a goal even more important than the one he got against Olympiakos - Is this the start of something BIG?

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Football commentator/pundits
« Reply #454 on: February 27, 2024, 12:54:02 pm »
I disagree. You support who you support and hate who you hate. I expect impartiality from refs but not pundits. Just have both sides represented.
I'm not sure I can agree with this. I just expect professionalism and a fair observation of the game. If we go down the route of each pundit having a single-minded platform during a game it will result in a situation of complete disinformation and irrational commentary. It would be even worse than what we're getting now.

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
  • Turned doubters to believers
« Reply #455 on: February 27, 2024, 12:58:31 pm »

I'm pretty sure his whole shtick on Sunday was a lot more to do with his hatred of Liverpool than any 'begrudging respect' he has. Calling them bottlers when we're just a better team than them. And being so gushing about Klopp, which I suspect he'll do for the rest of the season, is literally just so he can go hard with 'Liverpool are going to collapse without Klopp, he's what made them good but they're not much without him....I'd actually take Uniteds squad over theirs now' etc etc.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #456 on: February 27, 2024, 01:39:12 pm »
I'm pretty sure his whole shtick on Sunday was a lot more to do with his hatred of Liverpool than any 'begrudging respect' he has. Calling them bottlers when we're just a better team than them. And being so gushing about Klopp, which I suspect he'll do for the rest of the season, is literally just so he can go hard with 'Liverpool are going to collapse without Klopp, he's what made them good but they're not much without him....I'd actually take Uniteds squad over theirs now' etc etc.

Everyone can read into it what they want.  I thought it was pretty genuine, but I understand everyone being skeptical because it's Neville.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #457 on: February 27, 2024, 08:09:56 pm »
I'm not sure I can agree with this. I just expect professionalism and a fair observation of the game. If we go down the route of each pundit having a single-minded platform during a game it will result in a situation of complete disinformation and irrational commentary. It would be even worse than what we're getting now.

I agree with this, I expect the commentators and pundits to hide biases and just fairly talk about what is going on on the pitch and not groan when we score. If they can't be unbiased, they shouldn't be doing the job.

Sturridge is excellent in the studio, he really talks a lot of sense and knows what he's talking about, as he's done it at the highest level.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Kennys from heaven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!"
« Reply #458 on: February 27, 2024, 08:29:14 pm »
Best pundit around? Alli McCoist. Absolutely no doubt about it.

Some howlers but overall pretty decent analysis and truly witty without it being forced.
The most important people at Liverpool Football Club are the people who want to be here

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #459 on: February 27, 2024, 09:14:42 pm »
Carragher and Ratboy are the new Chuckle Brothers and should be fucked off, but they won't because Sly sports and Sly sports followers love the "bantz"

Online meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #460 on: February 27, 2024, 09:18:32 pm »
Is it possible with any channels to get commentary-less games

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #461 on: February 27, 2024, 09:24:09 pm »
Is it possible with any channels to get commentary-less games

Amazon had it, but none of the others do it sadly
Jurgen YNWA

Online meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #462 on: February 27, 2024, 09:29:34 pm »
Amazon had it, but none of the others do it sadly

That would be the dream.
I used to always sync up to 5live but the modern buffery shit stream makes it impossible to keep up.

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #463 on: February 27, 2024, 09:35:26 pm »
Danny Murphy is such a a prick. Smarmy, condescending prick.

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #464 on: February 27, 2024, 09:35:50 pm »
That would be the dream.
I used to always sync up to 5live but the modern buffery shit stream makes it impossible to keep up.

Sky had it end of the 90's where you could select crowd only and I seem to remember muting comms and listening to Radio City. Digital is awful for syncing, I use my stepdads sky account via sky go and its about a minute behind live, if we run it on two laptops and two phones, none of them are in sync. Digital is behind analogue too, so if you say put 5 live on AM, its ahead of DAB
Jurgen YNWA

Online meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #465 on: February 27, 2024, 09:50:03 pm »
Sky had it end of the 90's where you could select crowd only and I seem to remember muting comms and listening to Radio city

Yeah I thought I remembered that. They also had the option to watch it from either end of the pitch and a designated player cam.

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #466 on: February 27, 2024, 10:02:48 pm »
What did people think alan green? Thought he was excellent on 5 live. Broadcast the game so well.

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #467 on: February 27, 2024, 10:08:43 pm »
Yeah I thought I remembered that. They also had the option to watch it from either end of the pitch and a designated player cam.

I forgot about the picking the camera option, I used to switch to the Anny Rd camera when we were on (I was too ill to go the game in them days). Arsenal v Utd was the first game to have the player cam, I hoped we'd see Viera and Keane kicking the fuck out of each other, but was tame. I'd love to see that back, be interesting to watch Endo/Mac or Darwin off the ball
Jurgen YNWA

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #468 on: February 27, 2024, 10:16:55 pm »
I forgot about the picking the camera option, I used to switch to the Anny Rd camera when we were on (I was too ill to go the game in them days). Arsenal v Utd was the first game to have the player cam, I hoped we'd see Viera and Keane kicking the fuck out of each other, but was tame. I'd love to see that back, be interesting to watch Endo/Mac or Darwin off the ball

Was that what the Tielemans camera thing was all about in the summer?  Trying to bring that back in? It would be good to see it again. And hopefully you're all ok now pal (apart from having a Manc loving wife)

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #469 on: February 27, 2024, 10:21:14 pm »
What did people think alan green? Thought he was excellent on 5 live. Broadcast the game so well.

I thought he was excellent. I used to listen to him sitting in my dad's car in the evening. And he really didn't like Ferguson, didn't kiss his arse like the rest of them

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #470 on: February 27, 2024, 10:21:37 pm »
Was that what the Tielemans camera thing was all about in the summer?  Trying to bring that back in? It would be good to see it again. And hopefully you're all ok now pal (apart from having a Manc loving wife)

Didn't see the Tielemans camera thing, didn't know he had a body cam on. Player cam was where a cameraman in the stands just followed a specific player for 15 mins, then they switched to another player, so you saw everything they did.

All sound thanks, kids loved Sunday, we bounced around like loons - she'd fucked off out with her mate to avoid the fun ;D
Jurgen YNWA

Online meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #471 on: February 27, 2024, 10:23:11 pm »
Yep, feel like I can remember watching from the Kop to look at the Anny Road being built in 98.
They wouldn’t do the no commentary thing now because they know 90% would choose it off.
They’re so desperate to keep everyone hooked on the endless drama drivel that footballs awash in now.

Online meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #472 on: February 27, 2024, 10:27:01 pm »

Brilliant. Still think Radio is head and shoulders above. You feel like you’re sat in the crowd more than on TV. There’s a YouTube channel called Raised on Radio and he puts up most of our games a couple of days after. I always look forward to listening to those it feels so much more dramatic than the TV.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #473 on: February 27, 2024, 10:28:04 pm »
Didn't see the Tielemans camera thing, didn't know he had a body cam on. Player cam was where a cameraman in the stands just followed a specific player for 15 mins, then they switched to another player, so you saw everything they did.

All sound thanks, kids loved Sunday, we bounced around like loons - she'd fucked off out with her mate to avoid the fun ;D

Oh yeah I remember that changing player. I'd pay good money to watch Nunez either on the pitch but probably more so on the bench !
haha that what it's all about.

Online Kalito

• Legacy Fan
  • ***JFT97***
« Reply #474 on: February 27, 2024, 10:37:12 pm »
“Harvested from the depths of South America, roasted to excellence, a delivery of pure excitement”

- Peter Drury ordering a coffee
:lmao :lmao
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Mr Bill Shankly

"be careful of media, they can make you hate the oppressed and love the oppressors." - Malcolm X

The notion that an Occupier is defending itself is as absurd as the notion that the rapist is defending itself from the victim.

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #475 on: February 27, 2024, 10:37:26 pm »
Oh yeah I remember that changing player. I'd pay good money to watch Nunez either on the pitch but probably more so on the bench !
haha that what it's all about.

Nunez Sunday will have been brill, the 10 second clip was mad enough ;D
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Boaty McBoatface

• Custom Title McCustomtitleface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #476 on: February 27, 2024, 11:00:48 pm »
Just listened to the 5 live radio commentary of the final. Shearer on co-comms is better than any of the ex-pros on tv.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #477 on: February 28, 2024, 01:57:42 pm »
That fella Luke Edwards has written a piece about how English football "needs" Arsenal to win the league this season. Haven't read it but heard some lines from it and christ it sounds bad. They read some lines on the radio and it went like:

English football needs Arsenal to win it because it needs a London club winning the league
They are the most.. organic I think the word was
They fly in the face of the financial superpowers such as Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea and Liverpool

And that shit is behind a pay wall too !

Offline lfc_col

• Legacy Fan
  • And Could He Play!
« Reply #478 on: February 28, 2024, 02:17:59 pm »

Sure there was one with mane during the 4-0 Barcelona game must of been from a foreign channel it was on youtube a few years back
We Won It Six Times

JFT 97

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #479 on: February 28, 2024, 02:25:11 pm »
I've been impressed with Sturridge as a pundit. Articulate and impartial, irregardless of who he played for.