Author Topic: The Men in Suits behind the scenes  (Read 564684 times)

Offline KingKolo

• usernamechangefullcirclejerk
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Michael Edwards set to become Liverpool's sporting director
« Reply #280 on: July 21, 2018, 11:09:05 am »
In the Championship and has played 1 Premier League game in his whole career to date. Mignolet is 30 and still has several years left in him for a mid-table Premier League or continental side. If he leaves he's not leaving for a similar amount to Ward, he's going for a fair bit more. Either way £25m for Mignolet and Ings as stated in the original quote is extremely conservative.
Well, it'll be interesting to see, but you're probably right, seeing as £50m gets you Richarlison these days (lol)

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #281 on: July 21, 2018, 11:09:35 am »
Moneyball 2 with Brad Pitt as sir Michael Edwards. Gary Busey as Klopp. You're welcome Hollywood.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #283 on: July 29, 2018, 10:05:00 pm »
Apparently not...

That first link is quoting The Sun.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline KingKolo

• usernamechangefullcirclejerk
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #284 on: July 30, 2018, 09:08:07 pm »
That first link is quoting The Sun.
Removed!

Offline Boaty McBoatface

• Custom Title McCustomtitleface
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #285 on: August 9, 2018, 09:49:55 pm »
We need to clone Michael Edwards and get him to negotiate a "golden handcuffs" contract for the original.

Man's playing a blinder.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #286 on: August 9, 2018, 10:11:23 pm »
We need to clone Michael Edwards and get him to negotiate a "golden handcuffs" contract for the original.

Man's playing a blinder.
Klopp and Edwards are really a great team. I get the sense they have an easy-going partnership and they have a few things in common and share some views. Reminds me of the great managerial-upper brass/owner partnerships, such as our own during Shankly's/Paisley's era, Arsenal's and even United's - in all their successful years.

We've got a good thing with Henry at the helm - he knows how to surround himself with talented individuals; and in the end that's what you want from an owner. Who would've thought such a thing after the Cancers and their misery!
« Last Edit: August 9, 2018, 10:14:29 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #287 on: August 9, 2018, 10:16:31 pm »
Klopp and Edwards are really a great team. I get the sense they have an easy-going partnership and they have a few things in common. Reminds me of the great managerial-upper brass/owner partnerships, such as our own during Shankly's/Paisley's era, Arsenal's and even United's - in all their successful years.

We've got a good thing with Henry at the helm - he knows how to surround himself with talented individuals; and in the end that's what you want from an owner. Who would've thought such a thing after the Cancers and their misery!

The 3 teams Kloppo has been at he's had a really strong working relationship with the sporting director, Christian Heidl at Mainz, Michael Zorc at BVB, and now with Michael Edwards it seems to be that way too.  Probably not a coincidence!

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #288 on: August 9, 2018, 11:52:07 pm »
Moneyball 2 with Brad Pitt as sir Michael Edwards. Gary Busey as Klopp. You're welcome Hollywood.

Gary Busey? No way. It would have to be a red like Daniel Craig. And Danny DeVito as Mourinho....

"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #289 on: August 10, 2018, 12:00:45 am »
Reports he's being lined up to lead Trump's new spaceforce. His deal making has been described as out of this world.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline mercury

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #290 on: August 10, 2018, 06:29:12 am »
The 3 teams Kloppo has been at he's had a really strong working relationship with the sporting director, Christian Heidl at Mainz, Michael Zorc at BVB, and now with Michael Edwards it seems to be that way too.  Probably not a coincidence!

A real leader of man and man of confidence, our Klopp

Offline PaisleyPrint

• Believer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #291 on: August 10, 2018, 06:34:08 am »
Gary Busey? No way. It would have to be a red like Daniel Craig. And Danny DeVito as Mourinho....

That works for me 😂

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #292 on: August 10, 2018, 07:50:12 am »
Remember those days when we had Coco and the transfer committees...
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #293 on: August 10, 2018, 07:54:29 am »
He's done very well so far this window. Few more to sell. Wasn't his fault the Fekir deal fell through. If not would have been perfect window imo.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #294 on: August 10, 2018, 07:58:33 am »
Remember those days when we had Coco and the transfer committees...
The transfer committee were the same personnel as are at the club now, more or less, minus Ayre and Rodgers. That probably indicates where the problems lay.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #295 on: August 10, 2018, 08:14:45 am »
The transfer committee were the same personnel as are at the club now, more or less, minus Ayre and Rodgers. That probably indicates where the problems lay.

I don’t think the issue was any one particular person, just a lack of joined up thinking with manager and club wanting different things.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #296 on: August 10, 2018, 09:05:36 am »
Waited until the end of the window to make any comments on how well he's done.....and this will kind of spill into other areas so apologies if its not in the right place but....

Edwards and co have stepped up a lot and have supported klopp well. Which is what I was hoping from the outset when Klopp first arrived.
The manager has built a team he wants and was allowed to with the help he's been given.....so you can't really complain at the moment.

The difference between us and City/United is the speed at which we can make money available and add that's it. But I guess it suits as Klopp has eventually got who he wants. It fits.
CB cover, Creative spark in midfield (Fekir).....there's holes.....but there's holes in every squad. We're in a great position after 2 and a half seasons under Klopp on and off the pitch.

We do spend what we recoup and then £20-£40m net. We know it - that's our lot. Its not a coincidence our biggest window came right after our biggest sale but its ok as Klopp has his team and ultimately if we win silverware thats all that will matter.

(We are attempting to change that maybe? and be able to spend AND hold on to our best players at the same time, I guess I just have to see it consistently to be convinced thats the way we're going)

Anyways, well done to Edwards et al and it was a good transfer window.
This squad now has the next two seasons i'd say to leave Klopp's stamp on this club in terms of what we achieve in silverware. And we are not going into it scared, but embracing it as that is the atmosphere Klopp has brought....let's hope its a great season.
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #297 on: August 10, 2018, 09:38:01 am »

Ya, there is a lot less monitoring and buying players who had a good game against us.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #298 on: August 10, 2018, 10:22:24 am »
He’s overseen the best transfer window we’ve had in years IMO - arguably just short of perfect but that wasn’t down to Edwards or Liverpool.  I’d still score us a 9.5/10 in the market and think we’re very well placed to challenge on multiple fronts this season.

Edwards deserves great credit for acting quickly and decisively, not just this summer but in getting the Keita and VVD deals over the line. 

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #299 on: August 10, 2018, 10:29:07 am »
Be interesting to see what we do over next couple of weeks in terms of outgoings. Done a amazing job on incomings this summer.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #300 on: August 10, 2018, 11:15:27 am »
He’s overseen the best transfer window we’ve had in years IMO - arguably just short of perfect but that wasn’t down to Edwards or Liverpool.  I’d still score us a 9.5/10 in the market and think we’re very well placed to challenge on multiple fronts this season.

Edwards deserves great credit for acting quickly and decisively, not just this summer but in getting the Keita and VVD deals over the line.

Yeah, it's the speed we operate with that impresses me so much. Had the window gone exactly to plan, he'd have secured deals for Keita, Fabinho, Shaqiri, Alisson and Fekir all by July 19. I suppose that's the benefit of a truly joined-up approach - we know exactly who we want and just go buy them. Unlike many of our rivals, we have a clear vision of the exact type of player we need and there's no jumping between targets.

It just feels like we have adults in charge. And while that leads to some short term disappointment (like not getting another attacker) the long term benefits are massive. I'm sure they'll already have a fairly clear idea in their heads of what positions they'll look to strengthen in next, which is a huge positive.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #301 on: August 10, 2018, 12:08:28 pm »
There was a glowing article in the Evening Standard of all places about our transfer business.
https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/liverpool-transfers-jurgen-klopp-deadline-day-nabil-fekir-christian-pulisic-a3907071.html

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #302 on: August 10, 2018, 12:14:18 pm »
So from this time last year:

Brought in VVD (£75m)

Lost Coutinho (£142m) brought in Keita (£53m)

Lost Can (£0m) brought in Fabinho (£43m)

Lost Ox for the year brought in Shaqiri (£13m)

Also will lose Mignolet (£8M) And Ward (£12m) and brought in Alisson (£65m)

Lallana in for Ings (£20m) basically too.

I'd say we have increased the quality overall. Especially in keeper department. I wouldn't say squad depth has increased too much in attack but we're certainly better off overall. Assuming we get £8m for mignolet give or take. We've basically done that on about £70m net. Have to be glad at that. It will be a bit more than that due to agent fees etc. But that's a big improvement with a relatively low spend which could be made better if we get real money for Origi and Markovic.

Offline joekim87

• Truly gone shark fishing.....
  • Kopite
« Reply #303 on: August 10, 2018, 12:44:42 pm »
If he manages to offload Mignolet, Markovic, Origi, Ward and Ings for a combined 60m (not impossible), he should be audited for accounting fraud. An amazingly upgrade squad for basically peanuts in the P&L!

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #304 on: August 10, 2018, 12:52:50 pm »
If he manages to offload Mignolet, Markovic, Origi, Ward and Ings for a combined 60m (not impossible), he should be audited for accounting fraud. An amazingly upgrade squad for basically peanuts in the P&L!

Well what's that leave, £28m to find over Mignolet, Markovic and Origi? If he can get £12m each for Mignolet and Origi I'd be happy with anything for Markovic  ;D

Offline joekim87

• Truly gone shark fishing.....
  • Kopite
« Reply #305 on: August 10, 2018, 01:00:25 pm »
Well what's that leave, £28m to find over Mignolet, Markovic and Origi? If he can get £12m each for Mignolet and Origi I'd be happy with anything for Markovic  ;D

I think I was being much too conservative perhaps? I'll raise from 60m to 80m. Is 80m possible?

Offline clinical

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #306 on: August 10, 2018, 01:06:35 pm »
I think I was being much too conservative perhaps? I'll raise from 60m to 80m. Is 80m possible?

No.

Offline arab88

• BED WETTER
  • Kopite
  • Proud to be a RED!
« Reply #307 on: August 10, 2018, 05:00:58 pm »
I wanted two players with all my heart:

VVD and Alisson. He brought both of them.

Keita was another amawing buy.

We bought only players who are going to DRASTICALLY improve our first lineup.

We could have bought another CB and Fekir, but nobody is perfect.

I give him a 9.5/10, we have done fantastically well. Congrats Edward!

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #308 on: August 10, 2018, 05:08:56 pm »
There was a glowing article in the Evening Standard of all places about our transfer business.
https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/liverpool-transfers-jurgen-klopp-deadline-day-nabil-fekir-christian-pulisic-a3907071.html
Alisson
The Reds will pay a guaranteed £50m for the 25-year-old, with the £9m worth of success-related add-ons included - ones that the club would no doubt be delighted to hand over further down the line.

Thought we paid £65m

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #309 on: August 10, 2018, 05:14:00 pm »
Alisson
The Reds will pay a guaranteed £50m for the 25-year-old, with the £9m worth of success-related add-ons included - ones that the club would no doubt be delighted to hand over further down the line.

Thought we paid £65m

€65m wasn't it? Which works out to £59m roughly.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #310 on: August 10, 2018, 06:13:25 pm »
€65m wasn't it? Which works out to £59m roughly.

not when the other teams decide what we paid - according to them it's £65m. What's a symbol mean anyway.

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #311 on: August 10, 2018, 06:23:01 pm »
Its like him and Klopp are pretty much the exact opposite of Rodgers and Ayre/Transfer committee.

We can now attract top players, sell for massive fees every single time and bring in great players, with a very high success rate. We've basically lost nothing in value on every single player Klopp has brought in. Even Klavan and the much maligned Karius would go for more than we got them. Every big money signing has been a success. When your 'worst' signing is Wijnaldum, you're doing a ridiculously good job, cause Gini is fucking ace.
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #312 on: August 10, 2018, 07:03:58 pm »

And praise for achteberg on there as well
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #313 on: August 10, 2018, 08:09:55 pm »
Yes - interesting that Achteberg has been following, and recommending, Alisson since his Internacional days. Interesting, too, that the two ex-Bayern Munich staff members had nothing but praise for Shaqiri's character. Those details are entirely at odds with the public perception.

Offline Oberyn_Martell

• Desperate for it.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #314 on: August 11, 2018, 05:23:03 am »
Near enough perfect. Well done to the entire team.

Obviously Fekir would probably have made it a 10/10 window but maybe we'll still get him in Jan. I think we just lack enough attacking depth but we've bridged the gap in a way nobody could have expected.
We have the best manager in the league who took us to a CL final. With this quality who knows what he can do!!
Mods can you change my name to Melissa x

Offline mc_red22

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #315 on: August 11, 2018, 08:54:56 am »

The problem was with everybody, not just one person. One of the big problems is when the input of everybody in such a mixed bag of people (job role wise)carries the same weight. The manager must not have been the only one having a say on who we buy when looking at some of our signings. Most of the personnel may be the same but there's been a drastic change in how the club operates now when it comes to transfers.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #316 on: August 11, 2018, 09:40:43 am »
As far as I can see, it's exactly the same template: the manager having the last word. But this manager is comfortable with the system rather than being threatened by it. The new 'finaliser' (Edwards rather than Ayre) then gets the deals done as quietly and efficiently as possible.

Offline elpistolero7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #317 on: August 11, 2018, 09:53:55 am »
I wanted two players with all my heart:

VVD and Alisson. He brought both of them.

Keita was another amawing buy.

We bought only players who are going to DRASTICALLY improve our first lineup.

We could have bought another CB and Fekir, but nobody is perfect.

I give him a 9.5/10, we have done fantastically well. Congrats Edward!

Strange to credit Hodgson, but to each their own.

Offline elpistolero7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #318 on: August 11, 2018, 09:56:51 am »
The problem was with everybody, not just one person. One of the big problems is when the input of everybody in such a mixed bag of people (job role wise)carries the same weight. The manager must not have been the only one having a say on who we buy when looking at some of our signings. Most of the personnel may be the same but there's been a drastic change in how the club operates now when it comes to transfers.

The biggest problem was the lack of pull. Without a big name manager and CL football, you just can't attract the right players. Even when we had CL football we couldn't get the right guys in under Rodgers.

We had VVD, Salah, Mane, Ox all sign without that great CL run having happened. The name of the club will only do so much, it has to be complimented by the quality of the manager and European football. Lucky for us, we have a great club with amazing history, one of the best managers around, and genuine pedigree in the CL. Massive turnaround in just 3 years, when we were spending 30 million on Benteke. Nightmare that was.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #319 on: August 11, 2018, 10:10:18 am »
The only points that count are league points...

Let’s se
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W