Author Topic: Playstation 5 (2020)  (Read 149585 times)

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
Re: Playstation 5 (2020)
« Reply #560 on: September 17, 2020, 01:53:28 pm »
I signed up to email alerts but they went into the promotions folder so didn't get a notification. Fuck sake.

Haha just checked and that's exactly what happened with me. They also sent it at 00:37 which was a while after it opened ::)

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #561 on: September 17, 2020, 05:34:54 pm »
Deffo choosing the digital edition, PS4 I probably had 80% of my games downloaded.

That's an absolute sweet spot of pricing on the digital, brilliant by Sony.

Xbox left in the dust again and next gen hasn't officially started
, by the time their exclusive game Halo is out, PS5 will have had their 4th exclusive out.

The price it what it is because of the Xbox.  ;D

Think they will both sell amazingly well, physical game sales are going to get decimated though. For € 299 and the price of games pass it would almost be rude not to get a XSS. For me its the ideal mid gen upgrade, gives Sony time to fix that ugly box and at €80 a pop now it also gives time for the price to drop on a few exclusives.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #562 on: September 17, 2020, 10:28:56 pm »
No way to know until we see some multi-platform titles under the microscrope but it's not out of the question to say XBX > PS5 performance wise.

While that is likely to be the eventual result, unless the PS5 gets too far ahead in sales and devs half-arse Xbox ports, but the devs I know that are working on nextgen consoles seem to be finding the xbox dev environment to be so shoddy right now that the PS5 is performing better, even as far as the GPU too.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #563 on: September 17, 2020, 10:35:04 pm »
I've never bought a console on release. Always wait for the deals. Also 1st release consoles usually get struck down with issues.

But this is the 1st time I'm tempted. I think if we go into local lockdown in Liverpool and I'm stuck working from home for the rest of the year then it might be time to upgrade.

Might have to look at the TV first as it's about 2 years old and the HDR is a bit crap

Think a number of people will end up being tempted this time round, besides new lockdowns, you will also have people who are wfh that are usually pc gamers and opt to do more console gaming for the change of location from desk to sofa.  ;D

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #564 on: September 18, 2020, 05:37:59 am »
Grabbed one of each version on Argos. Seems only allowed 1 per customer as I'd to create a new account in my mums name for the second one. A bit wank if you've a couple of kids and wanted one console for each of them. Bit then I suppose it prevents the dirty rats only buying them to put on ebay like they do with limited edition trainers. 
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Ed-Zeppelin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #565 on: September 18, 2020, 07:55:40 am »
Told myself I’d hold off but caved yesterday when a mate at work sent me the Amazon link at 9am. Think I’m one generation away from going fully digital so went for the disc version and an extra controller.

Might get Spider-Man at launch but also looking forward to Watch Dogs and Cyberpunk and how they’ll look on the new console.
"We come here for the winning!"

Offline lfcrule6times

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #566 on: September 18, 2020, 09:09:55 am »
Got the email from Smyth's at 23.55 on Wednesday. Was gonna wait for Amazon but glad I took the plunge with them. Knew they'd sell out but not this quick.
★     ★     ★     ★     ★     ★

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #567 on: September 18, 2020, 09:45:26 am »
Haha just checked and that's exactly what happened with me. They also sent it at 00:37 which was a while after it opened ::)

I've missed all the preorders lol
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #568 on: September 18, 2020, 12:25:29 pm »
I've missed all the preorders lol
Curry's had some of the disc versions up at 12 there, I managed to get one for the pup for Christmas, genuinely the most ham-fisted pre order experience I've ever seen, a lot of it to do with the retailers obviously, like Argos making their pre orders live at 5am, just really really stupid.

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #569 on: September 18, 2020, 01:16:12 pm »
Demon’s Souls and Spider-Man is a great launch lineup along with others of course. I’ll be getting both deffo.

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #570 on: September 18, 2020, 01:29:03 pm »
The price it what it is because of the Xbox.  ;D

Think they will both sell amazingly well, physical game sales are going to get decimated though. For € 299 and the price of games pass it would almost be rude not to get a XSS. For me its the ideal mid gen upgrade, gives Sony time to fix that ugly box and at €80 a pop now it also gives time for the price to drop on a few exclusives.

Why is it the "sweet spot" - genuinely curious? it's about a third as powerful GPU-wise than the PS5 Digitial, and also half as good storage-wise (512GB vs 825GB), but only 25% cheaper - and you will be more wanting to upgrade the storage compared to the miserly 512GB, but because of how MS decided (again) on proprietary memory tech, to do so will cost around 200 USD to do so (!) according to most rumours (220 USD for a 1 TB memory "card" from Seagate), way more than the commodity M.2 cards which will fit in the PS5.  So to up the storage will then mean it's MORE than the PS5, and still way less powerful

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #571 on: September 18, 2020, 02:37:33 pm »
Will prices on anything PS4 related go down now? Games, controllers etc?

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #572 on: September 18, 2020, 02:55:37 pm »
Grabbed one of each version on Argos. Seems only allowed 1 per customer as I'd to create a new account in my mums name for the second one. A bit wank if you've a couple of kids and wanted one console for each of them. Bit then I suppose it prevents the dirty rats only buying them to put on ebay like they do with limited edition trainers. 

Dude, if you are buying a PS5 console for each of your children (in this year of years!) you ain't got particular problems.
You may have other sorts of issue but that's another thing.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 02:57:23 pm by lionel_messias »
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #573 on: September 18, 2020, 03:28:41 pm »
Why is it the "sweet spot" - genuinely curious? it's about a third as powerful GPU-wise than the PS5 Digitial, and also half as good storage-wise (512GB vs 825GB), but only 25% cheaper - and you will be more wanting to upgrade the storage compared to the miserly 512GB, but because of how MS decided (again) on proprietary memory tech, to do so will cost around 200 USD to do so (!) according to most rumours (220 USD for a 1 TB memory "card" from Seagate), way more than the commodity M.2 cards which will fit in the PS5.  So to up the storage will then mean it's MORE than the PS5, and still way less powerful
It's a great price point for very casual gamers, they get the next gen, at an affordable price, fellas I know that religiously buy FIFA and COD every year and nothing else are very enthusiastic about it.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #574 on: September 18, 2020, 10:22:26 pm »
So my GAME pre-order got cancelled.

Luckily got onto Argos and got one of them, still not recieved my confirmation e-mail but spoke to customer services and they’ve confirmed my order has gone through for delivery on release day. They said they have a delay in e-mails going out but should have it within 28 hours.

Crazy how quickly this has sold out.

Offline bailey90

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #575 on: September 19, 2020, 12:14:32 am »
So my GAME pre-order got cancelled.

Luckily got onto Argos and got one of them, still not recieved my confirmation e-mail but spoke to customer services and they’ve confirmed my order has gone through for delivery on release day. They said they have a delay in e-mails going out but should have it within 28 hours.

Crazy how quickly this has sold out.

Did they email you about it being cancelled?

I ordered through them but not heard anything about it being cancelled.
Twitter: @Bailey_90

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #576 on: September 19, 2020, 01:23:28 am »
It's a great price point for very casual gamers, they get the next gen, at an affordable price, fellas I know that religiously buy FIFA and COD every year and nothing else are very enthusiastic about it.

My point is it is barely next gen - it is no more powerful compared to the PS4Pro and xxbos one x than they were compared to the original consoles  It's a mid-gen update when everyone else is doing full on next gen updates - they claim it is capable of 1440p but I will not be surprised if most of the games end up being 1080p 60+fps, to guarantee the 60fps, instead of 1440p30.  And if they are buying COD, FIFA and 1/2 other games every year, they will need the storage expansion - which immeidately actually increrases the price to ABOVE the PS5 DE.  Unless they religously delete the older games whenever they buy the new ones.  The Games pass option with it would make it more attractive, but then they'd definitely need the more storage.  I suppose I don't understand everyone's enthusiasm around saving $100 and comprising on both storage AND  Graphics capabilities.  If the SSD option was the same and it was only the GPU I would, but I think MS are absolutely rinsing people for cash given it's both - the PS5 for instance, it's been confirmed the Bluray drive is about a $40 component, so by reducing the price by $100 they are actually taking a bigger hit; whereas the saving MS are making over cheaping out on the SSD AND the GPU, on top of the GPU, means that whereas the full strength console they are probably barely breaking even, the S they are making a decent chunk of profit and laughing at the consumers.

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #577 on: September 19, 2020, 06:54:32 am »
Sony want people to buy the digital version as they then make more money back through game sales. So they take a hit on the console price but it recovers that loss after 3 or 4 game purchases

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #578 on: September 19, 2020, 09:00:50 am »
Sony want people to buy the digital version as they then make more money back through game sales. So they take a hit on the console price but it recovers that loss after 3 or 4 game purchases
I can’t remember the last time I bought a physical copy. Digital is much more convenient and environment  friendly. Besides, for the last three years or so the PSN store has had good offers and sales regularly. It’s a no-brainer for me.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 09:02:23 am by dalarr »

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #579 on: September 19, 2020, 10:00:34 am »
I can’t remember the last time I bought a physical copy. Digital is much more convenient and environment  friendly. Besides, for the last three years or so the PSN store has had good offers and sales regularly. It’s a no-brainer for me.

Agreed, I’ve not bought a disc for a long time now. The price of the digital version means it should outsell the 2 versions of the xBox and also the disc PS5 quite comfortably in my opinion.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #580 on: September 19, 2020, 11:45:46 am »
Agreed, I’ve not bought a disc for a long time now. The price of the digital version means it should outsell the 2 versions of the xBox and also the disc PS5 quite comfortably in my opinion.

There are less being manufactured so I doubt it will outsell the disc based version.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/09/ps5-retailers-have-many-fewer-digital-edition-systems-for-pre-order/

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #581 on: September 19, 2020, 01:10:23 pm »
There are less being manufactured so I doubt it will outsell the disc based version.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/09/ps5-retailers-have-many-fewer-digital-edition-systems-for-pre-order/

Seems a strange decision unless they're trying to force early adopters to shell out on the more expensive version. It clearly won't initially outsell the disc version then but I wouldn't be surprised to see the demand encourage a shift towards producing more of the digital version.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Online JasonF

• Frenkie says "Ilaix, don't do it"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Funny T-Shirts
« Reply #582 on: September 19, 2020, 01:39:34 pm »
I love the convenience of digital games (not having to change discs is a big plus), and probably own at least a dozen, but when I'm buying a new release I generally opt for the disc. Usually cheaper than digital, complete it, sell it and then maybe buy it digital again in the future if it has replayability and goes in the sale.

That's my main reason for ordering the disc version over the digital. I think the difference will be recovered in 2-3 games. Maybe for the next generation it'll be different again, but for now I think discs still have enough upside to keep demand for the disc version high.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #583 on: September 19, 2020, 06:41:13 pm »

Yep, and you can’t resell your games/buy second-hand, or lend them to your mates/family. In 10-15 years I’ll still have physical copies of my games, will people be able to play their digital copies? I’m pretty sure by the time the next generation comes round it’ll all be digital and we won’t have a choice, but for now it’s disc all the way thanks.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #584 on: September 19, 2020, 07:31:40 pm »
Should have clarified about my cancelled GAME order.

I think I may have clicked cancel on the tracker by mistake mate, the screen crashed on my phone so I just tried scrolling ect to get it to work, then my browser closed and I got the e-mail through saying it'd been cancelled.

Sony have apologised for the pre-order debacle and have said that they're making more consoles available for pre-order soon and toward the end of the year, so keeps your eyes out if you never got one.

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #585 on: September 20, 2020, 06:45:25 am »
The only reason I see for buying the disc version is that it doubles up as a 4k player

But if you already have a 4k player or have the Xbox One S/X, there's really no reason to
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #586 on: September 20, 2020, 08:54:01 am »
The only reason I see for buying the disc version is that it doubles up as a 4k player

But if you already have a 4k player or have the Xbox One S/X, there's really no reason to

Some people still value physical ownership (for different reasons). I also would rather delete a game to make room for another one and be able to reinstall it at a later date off the disc. Much quicker than having to download a 50 GB plus file for me again.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #587 on: September 20, 2020, 09:26:19 am »
I have a mix of physical copies and digital downloads. If I’m buying for me, I’ll usually go digital but for presents for the Mrs or kids I’ll get the disc, it’s nice for them to have something to open. They’re also still cheaper and you retain some value.

I will be getting a PS5 but resisted a pre-order. There’s no launch titles I’m desperate for, and I really don’t like the console in white. Everything on my TV stand is black or dark grey. Yeah I could get a white console and wrap it but I’m sure a black version will follow.

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #588 on: September 20, 2020, 09:38:15 am »
Some people still value physical ownership (for different reasons). I also would rather delete a game to make room for another one and be able to reinstall it at a later date off the disc. Much quicker than having to download a 50 GB plus file for me again.

Yeah, that's fair.
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Scottymuser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #589 on: September 20, 2020, 02:09:05 pm »

Well, there are a few - backwards compatability with PS4 discs which means that you can play all the best games of this gen, with upscaling, without any worries; it is often cheaper to buy games 2nd hand then on the PSN store and/or buying new, playing, and then selling on - if we say you can save 15 quid on a game by doing either, you'd only need to buy 7 games and save this 15 quid to make it economcally better for you; you don't have to have the best internet in the world to continually be deleting and re-downloading games due to the size of the SSD (even more relevant on the Xbox) - despite Sony's claims that download sizes wouldn't continue to grow, space will still be an issu; being able to collect discs and boxes is what a lot of people like; being able to have only 1 box being able to handle all games and blurays is attractive for some; etc

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #590 on: September 20, 2020, 07:59:03 pm »
Seems a strange decision unless they're trying to force early adopters to shell out on the more expensive version. It clearly won't initially outsell the disc version then but I wouldn't be surprised to see the demand encourage a shift towards producing more of the digital version.

In the long run they will make more money from the digital version, so they are hardly going to care as much about nabbing a little bit extra from launch devices, it is probably just the safer option as far as stock, if they underestimate demand for the diskless version, a higher proportion of those missing out on one would settle for the disk version than if the scenario was reversed since the person after the disk version was already fine with paying a premium for that functionality.

You also shouldn't underestimate the potential for downloads to suffer on launch day, much less of an issue if you are just patching what was on a disk, so safer for them to hedge stock in that direction too.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #591 on: September 21, 2020, 01:11:35 am »
450 quid for a console. Still a bit steep, isn't it? I mean, it's slightly more expensive than the PS3, and that didn't go down too well.

Offline Scottymuser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #592 on: September 21, 2020, 01:56:21 am »
450 quid for a console. Still a bit steep, isn't it? I mean, it's slightly more expensive than the PS3, and that didn't go down too well.

It was only in the UK that the PS3 was that cheap - in both the US and Europe it was 599 so 100 more than over there this time (and it was mainly in the US that everyone took the piss out of the price).  Even then, it was 425 here, which after inflation since 2006 would now be worth 620 - if you want the argument based on wages instead of inflation, the min wage in the UK in 2006 when the PS3 came out was £5.35 so the 425 was 80 hours worth of min wage work, whereas the min wage now is 8.72  or 52 hours worth of work  (or 8.20 fdor 21-24 year olds, or 55 hours).  Its also the same price as the equivalent Xbox.  And Sony are making a minor LOSS on each console - the console really is that advanced.  It's only marginally more expensive than the PS4 after inflation (the PS4 would be 420ish after inflation) - and the PS4 was not as large a generational change compared to the PS3.  Compare it to the latest Nvidia card the 3080 - whilst that is going to be more powerful than the PS4, it also costs 500 USD *alone*. 

For reference, doing the comparison for the PS4 - the £350 compared to a 6.31 min wage leaves it as identical number of hours needed to work (55) for 21024, and fewer for the 25+ bracket.  So more affordable (ignoring the wider Covid stuff).  Also, the Xbox One, when released, was 499/450, because MS had the kinect with it, so it's the same price BEFORE inflation as that one.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 02:02:41 am by Scottymuser »

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #593 on: September 21, 2020, 03:16:59 am »
For funsies:
Atari 2600 released in 1977 for £199.99,  £1,245 adjusted for inflation
Sega Megadrive released in 1990 for £189.99, £435 adjusted for inflation
Nintendo 64 released in 1996 for £249.99, £470 adjusted for inflation
Sony Playstation released in 1996 for £299.99, £579 adjusted for inflation

:D

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #594 on: September 21, 2020, 07:07:09 am »
Early adopters of consoles or graphics cards etc just aren't that price sensitive. I'll hold my hand up to that personally. Price wasn't a factor in my thinking. I think it's a shame how technology holds its price when it's been on the market for years though. The PS4 pro is retailing for 299 still and the base model for 249. Nintendo stuff especially never drops much in price.

Offline redan

• yellowan pinkan green. purplean orangean blue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
« Reply #595 on: September 21, 2020, 09:32:56 am »
For funsies:
Atari 2600 released in 1977 for £199.99,  £1,245 adjusted for inflation
Sega Megadrive released in 1990 for £189.99, £435 adjusted for inflation
Nintendo 64 released in 1996 for £249.99, £470 adjusted for inflation
Sony Playstation released in 1996 for £299.99, £579 adjusted for inflation
Also I might be wrong but I’m sure N64 games were £50 even back then!

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #596 on: September 21, 2020, 09:41:41 am »
Also I might be wrong but I’m sure N64 games were £50 even back then!

Some might even have been £60 I think.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #597 on: September 21, 2020, 09:51:26 am »
Some were £70, Turok was at least.

I bought it with my milk round money.
AHA!

Offline Snail

• Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #598 on: September 21, 2020, 10:04:42 am »

I think it's fine. I'm not chuffed about games being £70, however.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #599 on: September 21, 2020, 10:51:47 am »
Considering how much people pay for phones nowadays and compared the specs to PC parts I think it's actually a good price

Games will be £70 on release but that will drop pretty quick. It's not like Nintendo games which hold their price insanely well.