Author Topic: League Cup / Premier League Fixtures 09 - 14 January  (Read 33999 times)

Offline DarkOfTheManatee

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: League Cup / Premier League Fixtures 09 - 14 January
« Reply #200 on: January 12, 2024, 09:44:03 pm »
Urgh, a draw is the best result for Everton, right?

Don't like Kompany, but would rather Burnley have won just because I think Luton will continue to pick up points elsewhere, so Burnley staying in touch of 17th keeps the pressure on.

Offline AllyouneedisRush

• One leg, musical nostrils, itchy crotch. Is actually Louis Walsh.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: January 12, 2024, 09:44:32 pm »
Just call me Mr VAR....

Justice 97 - YNWA

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: January 12, 2024, 09:44:42 pm »
Urgh, a draw is the best result for Everton, right?

Don't like Kompany, but would rather Burnley have won just because I think Luton will continue to pick up points elsewhere, so Burnley staying in touch of 17th keeps the pressure on.

It's irrelevant as Everton won't go down anyway

Offline AllyouneedisRush

• One leg, musical nostrils, itchy crotch. Is actually Louis Walsh.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: January 12, 2024, 09:45:55 pm »
It's irrelevant as Everton won't go down anyway

Agreed, 3 very poor sides blow them
Justice 97 - YNWA

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #204 on: January 12, 2024, 09:46:09 pm »
Pgmol got their statement out quick

'its just a coming together of the keeper and player'

Offline Boaty McBoatface

• Custom Title McCustomtitleface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: January 12, 2024, 09:46:26 pm »
Not a foul for me, definitely not a clear and obvious error. The space didn't belong to either of them and the attacker was just stronger. Although I expected it to be ruled out.

Offline smicer07

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: January 12, 2024, 09:47:18 pm »
Not a foul for me, definitely not a clear and obvious error. The space didn't belong to either of them and the attacker was just stronger. Although I expected it to be ruled out.

I thought it was a shocking decision. Imagine Alisson not getting a free kick next week for that.

Offline Gili Gulu

• Looking forward to seeing the Golden Sky
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: January 12, 2024, 09:47:31 pm »
PGMOL: "It was just a coming together"
 :butt :wanker
Gili Gulu. (嘰哩咕嚕) means saying something no-one understands but yourself; a little rambling or a silly language between friends

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: January 12, 2024, 09:47:44 pm »
Not a foul for me.  Adebayo took the space first as he was entitled to, Trafford then ran into him.

Luton should have done it a bit earlier as they were letting Trafford come a long way and claim lots of crosses throughout the game.

It felt like watching a Championship game and I'd be amazed if either side stays up (without a further points deduction for Everton).

Offline smicer07

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: January 12, 2024, 09:47:46 pm »
Pgmol got their statement out quick

'its just a coming together of the keeper and player'

Which blatantly isn't true.

Offline Boaty McBoatface

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: January 12, 2024, 09:47:58 pm »
I thought it was a shocking decision. Imagine Alisson not getting a free kick next week for that.
I'm sure that's happened before.

Edit: And I'm pretty sure it was Burnley, so fuck em.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2024, 09:51:08 pm by Boaty McBoatface »

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: January 12, 2024, 09:49:53 pm »
I genuinely think Alisson is wise to that sort of thing now.  It's why he doesn't come a long way for crosses and why he frequently punches when he could potentially catch the ball.

Trafford doesn't look very strong so it's extra risky to come so far for crosses in a crowded area.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: January 12, 2024, 09:51:12 pm »
Can't believe they allowed that to stand  ;D
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: January 12, 2024, 09:52:35 pm »
Burnley, so fuck em.

Pretty much.

Fuck them and their Beluga headed manager
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #214 on: January 12, 2024, 09:53:11 pm »
Keeper ran into him there...and then went down like a sack of shite. Goal all day.
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline spartan2785

• Main Stander
« Reply #215 on: January 12, 2024, 09:54:59 pm »
Anyone that is saying that they would not be out of their god damn minds if that happen to Allison are kidding themselves.  It's not that the keeper isn't strong enough, it's a case of he's being barged into deliberately with a full on hip check that a hockey player would be proud of by an offensive player without any intention of playing the ball, you can't do that even if it's to an outfield player. 

Offline zamagiure

• tujenkins
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: January 12, 2024, 09:56:08 pm »
That is a foul. Luton player did not stand his ground, he moved towards the keeper and blocks him.
mines a pint

Offline smicer07

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: January 12, 2024, 10:00:44 pm »
Wish opposition managers would be more honest. Edwards will be moaning next week about a decision going against him

Offline tonysleft

• Legacy Fan
  • A manc
« Reply #218 on: January 12, 2024, 10:05:29 pm »
Wish opposition managers would be more honest. Edwards will be moaning next week about a decision going against him
I can see why he's not tbf. If I was him all I'd be thinking is "if I call a spade a spade here and say that's a foul and we got lucky, refs will feel they have carte blanche to give 50/50 decisions against us for weeks". At that level there's no room for sportsmanship!
Great chiefs and great loves in obliterated light

Online RedDeadRejection

• Kopite
« Reply #219 on: January 12, 2024, 10:08:43 pm »
Good this VAR innit.

Offline Boaty McBoatface

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: January 12, 2024, 10:09:07 pm »
Anyone that is saying that they would not be out of their god damn minds if that happen to Allison are kidding themselves.  It's not that the keeper isn't strong enough, it's a case of he's being barged into deliberately with a full on hip check that a hockey player would be proud of by an offensive player without any intention of playing the ball, you can't do that even if it's to an outfield player.
Oh I'd definitely be screaming for it, but I also think keepers are overprotected. No one would be screaming penalty the other way round. I think it was smart play. He saw where the keeper was going and got there first (at worst, at the same time). The keeper was far too soft/naive. It's contact, but not a foul for me. The issue I have, is the inconsistency with how contact is interpreted by the refs.

Offline smicer07

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: January 12, 2024, 10:15:44 pm »
Oh I'd definitely be screaming for it, but I also think keepers are overprotected. No one would be screaming penalty the other way round. I think it was smart play. He saw where the keeper was going and got there first (at worst, at the same time). The keeper was far too soft/naive. It's contact, but not a foul for me. The issue I have, is the inconsistency with how contact is interpreted by the refs.

He got there first and deliberately fouled the keeper, didn't even look at the ball . It's a terrible decision.

Offline Boaty McBoatface

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: January 12, 2024, 10:16:33 pm »
Looking isn't against the rules.

Offline smicer07

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: January 12, 2024, 10:18:33 pm »

No but combine that with backing in to the keeper and obstructing him from getting near the ball and you've got a clear foul.

Offline Boaty McBoatface

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: January 12, 2024, 10:20:51 pm »
He got there first and deliberately fouled the keeper, didn't even look at the ball . It's a terrible decision.
That's the important bit for me. The space was his. He doesn't have to go anywhere after that.

Offline spartan2785

• Main Stander
« Reply #225 on: January 12, 2024, 10:27:16 pm »

I know that intent is such a nebulous thing to consider, but the fact that he takes a look to see where the keeper is then doesn't even really look for the ball, and then turns his hip into the keeper doesn't that make it a deliberate block without any intent to play the ball, it's just like if a player played a pass and then was blocked off by a defender who then moves into the player. 

Trafford has in general been really poor at crosses and has been extremely weak overall, but on this one I don't really see how he can be stronger.  It's not like the offensive player is just standing there, he throws his hip and body into Trafford who has no way to get through him unless he straight up bulldozes through the player like Onana did against Wolves.

In general I totally agree that keepers are overprotected, but this one I think was one where it absolutely should be a foul.

Online marios_moustache

• Kopite
« Reply #226 on: January 12, 2024, 10:33:52 pm »
I know that intent is such a nebulous thing to consider, but the fact that he takes a look to see where the keeper is then doesn't even really look for the ball, and then turns his hip into the keeper doesn't that make it a deliberate block without any intent to play the ball, it's just like if a player played a pass and then was blocked off by a defender who then moves into the player. 

Trafford has in general been really poor at crosses and has been extremely weak overall, but on this one I don't really see how he can be stronger.  It's not like the offensive player is just standing there, he throws his hip and body into Trafford who has no way to get through him unless he straight up bulldozes through the player like Onana did against Wolves.

In general I totally agree that keepers are overprotected, but this one I think was one where it absolutely should be a foul.

In real time not a foul but watching replays it probably was. Think back to Ruben Dias on Ali.......didn't look like a foul in real time and I don't think the replays proved it was a foul either.

How would you compare those 2?

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: January 12, 2024, 10:34:49 pm »
That's the important bit for me. The space was his. He doesn't have to go anywhere after that.

That's literally the definition of obstruction. The keeper is going for the ball and the attacker moves into his way to make sure he can't get it.

It's an incredible decision. What the fuck is the goalkeeper meant to do in that situation?
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Boaty McBoatface

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: January 12, 2024, 10:40:44 pm »

I totally see your point. And like I said earlier, I expected VAR to overrule it. But the ball is just one factor. The attacker has no requirement to move out of the way or change his body shape to make it easier for the keeper. He just reads the situation better in my eyes. He sees the keeper coming and steps across him.

Let me ask you this. If the attacker stepped across and went down like a sack of spuds, do you think it's a penalty?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: January 12, 2024, 10:42:10 pm »
He sees the keeper coming and steps across him.

That's a foul, then?
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline spartan2785

• Main Stander
« Reply #230 on: January 12, 2024, 10:49:52 pm »
I totally see your point. And like I said earlier, I expected VAR to overrule it. But the ball is just one factor. The attacker has no requirement to move out of the way or change his body shape to make it easier for the keeper. He just reads the situation better in my eyes. He sees the keeper coming and steps across him.

Let me ask you this. If the attacker stepped across and went down like a sack of spuds, do you think it's a penalty?

I guess where I disagree is that I don't think he went down easily, I thought the amount of contact meant that the keeper wasn't play acting. 

If the keeper went down easily by being slightly touched than yes I would say the goal should stand, but I saw a significant amount of contact that meant the keeper had no way of getting to the ball, it's not like he was brushed and was looking for the foul.

Online marios_moustache

• Kopite
« Reply #231 on: January 12, 2024, 10:50:35 pm »
That's a foul, then?

It should be a foul, but so should everytime a defender doing that across an attacker to see the ball out for a goal kick?!?!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: January 12, 2024, 10:52:28 pm »
It should be a foul, but so should everytime a defender doing that across an attacker to see the ball out for a goal kick?!?!

Not disputing that. But if you're not giving fouls based on other fouls not being given then no foul can ever be given  ;D

Offline Boaty McBoatface

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: January 12, 2024, 10:52:53 pm »
That's a foul, then?
Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. I don't think the contact warranted a foul on this occasion, but totally understand that you, and most others, do. :thumbup

Online marios_moustache

• Kopite
« Reply #234 on: January 12, 2024, 10:57:50 pm »
Not disputing that. But if you're not giving fouls based on other fouls not being given then no foul can ever be given  ;D

I was playing devil's advocate.......

But no fouls being given because of previous fouls and no fouls ever being given........ Matrix!!!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: January 12, 2024, 10:57:56 pm »
Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. I don't think the contact warranted a foul on this occasion, but totally understand that you, and most others, do. :thumbup

https://twitter.com/FrankMSinclair/status/1745938440112238913?t=6CiN1Rkn1aAaa_hXo7UHpg&s=19

Genuinely don't see how it's not a foul. The goalkeeper is going for the ball, and a player not going for the ball just moves into him. Look at Adebayo's leg - what is the goalkeeper meant to do in this situation?

Offline Boaty McBoatface

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: January 12, 2024, 11:00:04 pm »
If a defender stopped an attacker from heading the ball like that, do you think it's a penalty?

Offline Boaty McBoatface

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: January 13, 2024, 12:37:22 am »
https://youtube.com/shorts/xQuhOZb0a-U?si=mTyw7Ik4MoKo4gmG

Was this an obstruction/foul on Palhinha? Mac ran right across him. Difference is Palhina didn't collapse like a house of cards.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: January 13, 2024, 08:50:44 am »
If a defender stopped an attacker from heading the ball like that, do you think it's a penalty?

Probably should be yes. Likely wouldn't be given, but that's a whole different issue. A foul on the goalkeeper like that is just known to be a foul.

The one on Alisson against City was much, much softer, but the universal opinion on here was that it was a foul (and I also think it was).

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #239 on: January 13, 2024, 08:57:34 am »
Not sure that’s a foul.

Trafford goes down pretty easily.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.