Author Topic: ICC Cricket World Twenty20 Thread  (Read 34799 times)

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: ICC Cricket World Twenty20 Thread
« Reply #1080 on: May 17, 2010, 06:01:38 am »
Hopefully you'll get used to the taste in the future ;)
:D

Offline Mackeroo

• Like mackerel, just more impressive. And bouncier.....now with added joeys.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1081 on: May 17, 2010, 06:55:18 am »
Well done to the England/Ireland/South African All-Stars

;)

Offline Hyderabad Red

• Is back... and having an identity crisis.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1082 on: May 17, 2010, 07:50:28 am »

;)
;D

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1083 on: May 17, 2010, 09:09:25 am »
Did anyone have the misfortune of watching the women’s final afterwards? I say misfortune – I actually chose to watch it but it was like a slow moving car crash and I couldn’t look away. With about 5 overs to go NZ needed about 10 an over and were turning down easy singles. Up to that point they had hit 2 boundaies all innings. It’s what Twenty 20 was made for! They needed 24 off the last 8 balls then out of nowhere some bird smashed a 4 and 6. 14 needed off the last over, went down to 5 off the last ball (4 for a super over). Same bird drilled one back down the wicket, think it would have gone for 4 but it smashed into the bowlers foot. So cheer up Aussies – you did win one!

The Aussie star bowler looked unnervingly like Stuart Broad as well!

Offline StevenLFC

• Charles Colville. Spyin Kop purveyor extraordinaire. Likes pigeons and buses.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @stehoare
    • The Bib Theorists
« Reply #1084 on: May 17, 2010, 09:26:34 am »

;)

Yeah they did well to beat the Australia/Holland all stars.

;)

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #1085 on: May 17, 2010, 09:48:38 am »
Haha you lot weren't all moaning about nationality when we weren't winning anything with added foreigners. (Hick, Caddick, etc) ;)

Offline StevenLFC

• Legacy Fan
  • @stehoare
    • The Bib Theorists
« Reply #1086 on: May 17, 2010, 10:02:18 am »
In all seriousness I have no problem with players of other nationalities representing England. We are a multi-cultural society and this country welcomes foreigners to make a living here. If we provide this oppertunity to hundreds of thousands of people, I think it is fair that we give them an oppertunity to represent the country at the highest level. This benefits both the individuals and the country's national team.

Offline Mackeroo

• Like mackerel, just more impressive. And bouncier.....now with added joeys.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1087 on: May 17, 2010, 10:51:50 am »
Lol I'm not even Australian, I'm Irish. Not overly fussed about cricket but much rather England win than the Aussies.

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1088 on: May 17, 2010, 11:02:02 am »
Wasn't Morgan born and raised Irish and represented Ireland at every level of the game possible but came to the obvious conclusion that playing for England at the higher level would be a better prospect, while Kieswetter was also bornand raised South African but didn't like the way South African cricket treated him so tried his luck with Enland, making you his sloppy seconds. I would have a problem with that, and im glad you brought up that Holland thing because i am actually dissapointed we picked Nannes. Im 100% agaisnt the whole, 'well you didn't pick me and im technically able to play for this nation so i will'. Plenty of players over the years have been treated unfairly by selectors but thats cricket. Not taking it on the chin and not using it as motivation for future selction i find slightly un-Australian, a term I hate.

Offline StevenLFC

• Legacy Fan
  • @stehoare
    • The Bib Theorists
« Reply #1089 on: May 17, 2010, 11:03:24 am »
I think you should pick the best players who qualify for your nation, regardless of where they were born.

Offline Mackeroo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1090 on: May 17, 2010, 11:08:12 am »
Yeah Morgan is Irish and played for Ireland. Since Ireland don't play test cricket, he opted to go play county cricket in England and therefore qualified as he'd never played at international test level before. Ed Joyce did the same thing a few years ago but I'm sure the English lads would probably rather forget about that.

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1091 on: May 17, 2010, 11:28:19 am »
I think you should pick the best players who qualify for your nation, regardless of where they were born.
Fair enough. I think the rules for nation eligability should be stricter. More football-like. You should declare what country you play for and representing a nation at a certain level of youth cricket should lock you in to that nation. Though i'm sure this would not be a popular opinion.

Offline StevenLFC

• Legacy Fan
  • @stehoare
    • The Bib Theorists
« Reply #1092 on: May 17, 2010, 11:42:07 am »
Fair enough. I think the rules for nation eligability should be stricter. More football-like. You should declare what country you play for and representing a nation at a certain level of youth cricket should lock you in to that nation. Though i'm sure this would not be a popular opinion.

Well in football you can play for a country at U21 level and opt to play for another country at senior level.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1093 on: May 17, 2010, 11:46:00 am »

I can see your point but think it's a bit different for someone like Morgan who can't (currently) play at the highest level for Ireland (don't mean to patronise the Irish cricket fans there) and I think most of them wish him well. I’d say it was the equivalent of a Papua New Guinean choosing to play for Australia although Geraint Jones opted for us as well!

The Saffa situation is different although KP has an English mum and don’t think he represented them at any level (could be wrong) so fair enough. It is mainly an English issue – partly because some of these players take a calculated risk that it’s easier to play for England than the country of their birth, partly because as in any field the financial opportunities are probably far greater in England than elsewhere and partly because England is a pretty multi-cultural place.

I don’t have a problem with it but can see why some have an issue. It gets annoying when the likes of Strauss get labeled as well though. He was born there to English parents, moved home when he was young and schooled in England. You also get a bit of ignorance around English born Asians like Monty and Bopara.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #1094 on: May 17, 2010, 11:52:51 am »
ENGLAND WIN AT CHILDREN'S VERSION OF CRICKET     
17-05-10 
ENGLAND cricket fans were celebrating last night as the national side won a version of the game developed especially for children.

Twenty20 is all about bright, happy colours and having funPaul Collingwood's team took the Twenty20 World Championship after beating a clearly confused Australian squad by seven wickets, 18 balls, half a litre of Diet Coke and a bag of Jenga blocks.

Australian captain Michael Clarke said: "We were knocking it over the boundary as usual, when Collingwood shouted 'donkey hats are wild!' and then rubbed some mango syrup into his legs.

"I asked the umpire what was going on and after consulting the rule book, which had obviously just been written in biro on the back of a till receipt, it appeared we had committed a 'Triple Lohan' and forfeited the match."

The shortened version of the game was invented in 2003 to convince the under 12s that cricket was not just for elderly homosexuals and dysfunctional Yorkshiremen.

But ECB officials soon realised the new format could deliver first class international victories as each game would be finished long before the traditional English test collapse.

Over the years the hip and exciting rules have been adapted to include new features such as the Wheel Of Runs, The Hawaiian Stump'n'Slide and Pick-a-Card-Any-Card umpiring.

England fan Charlie Reeves said: "We are - in certain circumstances and conditions - the champions! We are - in certain circumstances and conditions - the champions!"
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1095 on: May 17, 2010, 02:12:44 pm »
Well in football you can play for a country at U21 level and opt to play for another country at senior level.
Really? I thought U21 was a commitment. Well then it should be stricter than football and in Morgan and Nannes' case they played for the another actual national team so cricket is a lot looser there.

Cricket is different to football in that players are groomed by cricket boards to conjunction with domestic teams that are controlled by boards to play for a nation and is by far the highest honour and level you can play at, while domestic club play has little importance in comparison, its just a audition for the national team. Although youth team play also has a large influence on development in football, I don't think it has the same importance as it does in cricket. There is huge amounts invested by cricket boards and I think that at some point in an investment in a player, they should have to have some form of commitment to that nation. I dont think somone who has played and captained a nations under u15s 17s and 19s should be able to play for another country.

I can see your point but think it's a bit different for someone like Morgan who can't (currently) play at the highest level for Ireland (don't mean to patronise the Irish cricket fans there) and I think most of them wish him well. I’d say it was the equivalent of a Papua New Guinean choosing to play for Australia although Geraint Jones opted for us as well!

The Saffa situation is different although KP has an English mum and don’t think he represented them at any level (could be wrong) so fair enough. It is mainly an English issue – partly because some of these players take a calculated risk that it’s easier to play for England than the country of their birth, partly because as in any field the financial opportunities are probably far greater in England than elsewhere and partly because England is a pretty multi-cultural place.

I don’t have a problem with it but can see why some have an issue. It gets annoying when the likes of Strauss get labeled as well though. He was born there to English parents, moved home when he was young and schooled in England. You also get a bit of ignorance around English born Asians like Monty and Bopara.

My only issue with KP and Kieswetter is the same issue i have with Nannes. I obviously cant make any statement on that it was definitely their reasons for playing for another nation, but I really, really, do not like the thought of someone growing up in a nation, living that lifestyle and having that upbringing, and deciding to play for another nation that they are eligible for because they have some form of falling out with the way a nations cricket system is run.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 02:27:11 pm by nicholasanthony »

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #1096 on: May 17, 2010, 02:36:36 pm »
you can't even compare Kieswetter or Pietersen to Nannes. Nannes actually played in the last twenty20 world cup for Holland, neither of the aforementioned 'South Africans' played for their 'homelands' at that level.
I bet the Daily Mail is lording up our cricketers though, hypocritical fcunts
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #1097 on: May 17, 2010, 02:42:21 pm »
Nannes actually played in the last twenty20 world cup for Holland, neither of the aforementioned 'South Africans' played for their

I heard that on the radio. Now that is weird.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1098 on: May 17, 2010, 02:49:46 pm »
you can't even compare Kieswetter or Pietersen to Nannes. Nannes actually played in the last twenty20 world cup for Holland, neither of the aforementioned 'South Africans' played for their 'homelands' at that level.
Only in terms of motivation I think they were similar.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1099 on: May 17, 2010, 02:56:42 pm »

Did Morgan not play for Ireland in the last WC? Not particurlarly fussed, just playing devil's advocate!

Gavin Hamilton has played for England then Scotland as well. Don't the Saffers have a newly qualified Pakistani born spiner - Imran Tahir. I guess as long as the legislation is loose enough to allow it to happen there's no pint complaining too much about it.

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #1100 on: May 17, 2010, 03:00:08 pm »
Morgan played for Ireland in the 2007 World Cup and then the following month he was coming on for England in a test against the West Indies.

Nannes, Australian born and bred, played for Holland in the 2009 T20 and a couple of months later was playing for Australia.

Can't see how that can be possible.

Geraint Jones can play for England because England are actually England and Wales, just nobody calls them that.
Legacy fan

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1101 on: May 17, 2010, 03:01:44 pm »

You can't. Once you've played competitively at U21 level for a country you're bound to play for that country.

My only issue with KP and Kieswetter is the same issue i have with Nannes. I obviously cant make any statement on that it was definitely their reasons for playing for another nation, but I really, really, do not like the thought of someone growing up in a nation, living that lifestyle and having that upbringing, and deciding to play for another nation that they are eligible for because they have some form of falling out with the way a nations cricket system is run.

I'm not sure about Kieswetter but I know for sure that KP refused to player for SA due to the quota system. He didn't agree with it and as a protest is not playing for them, came over to England and waited the 5 years or so that he needed to before being able to qualify to be called up to the England squad.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1102 on: May 17, 2010, 03:03:34 pm »

Geraint Jones can play for England because England are actually England and Wales, just nobody calls them that.

A point a lot of people don't realise and were quite upset that I was supporting England yesterday!

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1103 on: May 17, 2010, 03:06:21 pm »
Wales have always played a useful part in providing test cricketers - Matthew Maynard, Simon Jones and "Bowling Crofty" to name a few. That Cardiff Test was great as well - first of many tests there?

When do the English summer (hah!) Tests start? Anyone want to start a thread?

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1104 on: May 17, 2010, 03:07:36 pm »
Summer tests start in a couple of weeks I think. Bangladesh. Great...

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #1105 on: May 17, 2010, 03:11:38 pm »
Wales have always played a useful part in providing test cricketers - Matthew Maynard, Simon Jones and "Bowling Crofty" to name a few. That Cardiff Test was great as well - first of many tests there?

When do the English summer (hah!) Tests start? Anyone want to start a thread?

Lords test against Bangladesh is in a couple of weeks, followed by a test at Old Trafford.
Legacy fan

Offline Throxenby

• Has a date with Fat Frank sometime in 2007
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1106 on: May 17, 2010, 03:24:28 pm »
jones is allowed to play for england because he was from new south wales wasnt he ?
God bless the skywashed for they know not what they do.

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1107 on: May 17, 2010, 03:29:30 pm »
jones is allowed to play for england because he was from new south wales wasnt he ?

The bloke must have 0 Australian blood in him the way he catches.

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #1108 on: May 17, 2010, 03:37:55 pm »

Got my Jones's mixed up.

Simon Jones is Welsh but plays for England because it is England and Wales.

Geraint Jones was born somewhere in the South Pacific of Welsh parents but moved to Australia when he was a child then back to England when he was in his 20's. Not sure if he ever played in any Australian representative teams.
Legacy fan

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1109 on: May 17, 2010, 04:09:53 pm »
Geraint Jones is Papua New Guinea through and through!

Bangladesh are playing the role of 'welcome to seamer friendly England in May' lambs to the slaughter are they? Anyone buying tickets for day 4?!

Offline Throxenby

• Has a date with Fat Frank sometime in 2007
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1110 on: May 17, 2010, 05:36:02 pm »
Geraint Jones is Papua New Guinea through and through!

Bangladesh are playing the role of 'welcome to seamer friendly England in May' lambs to the slaughter are they? Anyone buying tickets for day 4?!
do yer reckon the ecb will allow me to swap me day 4 at headingley ticket (last summer) for day 4 against bangladesh ?
God bless the skywashed for they know not what they do.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #1111 on: May 17, 2010, 07:11:12 pm »
Ironic you picked that example! Robert Croft would be a better one...