Author Topic: Welcome to Liverpool, Alexis Mac Allister  (Read 212569 times)

Online StL-Dono

• Kopite
  • thank you Ian Rush
Re: Welcome to Liverpool, Alexis Mac Allister
« Reply #2640 on: May 13, 2024, 11:47:05 pm »
Except for the times this season (not just today) where he gives the ball away in an absolutely lethal position and it comes back to bite us.  That was happening once a game through the first few months. 

He should have come off today, not Endo. 

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #2641 on: May 13, 2024, 11:48:47 pm »
He's actually a brilliant number 6. But it's been a long season for the lad. Our future captain, of that I have no doubts.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline PaleBlueDot

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2642 on: Yesterday at 12:21:06 am »
He'll be fine while playing as a 2 under slot. He has intelligent pressing and covering of specific areas...just can't do the whole midfield alone.

I thought Jones would have got to the 6, or even Bajetic.

Both Curtis and Szoboszlai come on and.....Curtis plays LW  ???

Still playing with a 1 and 2 in front 83 mins into the game 3-1 up. Klopp's changes late into the season have been strange.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 12:22:41 am by PaleBlueDot »

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #2643 on: Yesterday at 12:52:47 am »
He's actually a brilliant number 6. But it's been a long season for the lad. Our future captain, of that I have no doubts.

If you were looking at midfield positions then for me Macca is far better as an 8 and under Slot may well end up in a kind of 10 role.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Worgie

• Main Stander
« Reply #2644 on: Yesterday at 01:04:54 am »
Hope Arne was watching that and we won't see him in a 6 role next season. Great player but not suited to a 6 at all. He was a 10 in Argentina so keep pushing him back further and further to our goal makes no sense. We didnt look like scoring in those last 10 minutes with him so close to the centre backs and playing nothing little passes close to the centre circle, with Thiago out all season he is our most creative passer capable of a defense spliting pass further up the pitch.

Getting a proper DM with mobility and strong physical presence is a priority this summer, we were prepared to spend 100M on Caicedo last year so hopefully we have the funds to bring a top player in this year.

Strange subs recently, bit of a preseason friendly feel about making 4 subs at once and bringing on 3 midfielders at the same time, it cost us control in the same way Spurs go back into the game after the subs on Sunday. Don't see us doing that if we were still in the title race.

RAI TV Commentator May 2005 - "If Milan score in the first 20 minutes they will win!"  Yeah Right!

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2645 on: Yesterday at 01:38:51 am »
The most dribbled past player in the league. Make of that what you will.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #2646 on: Yesterday at 03:07:49 am »
I thought Jones would have got to the 6, or even Bajetic.

That is what I thought too. I was stunned that he wasn't moved further forward or taken off.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #2647 on: Yesterday at 08:21:16 am »
Great player and a good number 6.

But when he’s tired and being asked to cover loads of space then he’s not the player you want.

Amazed he didn’t come off when the 4 subs happened. He looked goosed before that. To put him as the 6 in the type of game it was seemed an odd choice to me. 2nd goal and 3rd goal come about from MacAllister giving the ball away & being dribbled past far too easily in front of the defence.

Needs the end of the season to recharge his batteries and come back refreshed
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2648 on: Yesterday at 08:26:25 am »
The most dribbled past player in the league. Make of that what you will.
We play in a way that asks players to take risks to win the ball back a lot, he's played most minutes in midfield so not really a surprise.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2649 on: Yesterday at 08:27:45 am »
We play in a way that asks players to take risks to win the ball back a lot, he's played most minutes in midfield so not really a surprise.
He still gets bypassed too easily IMO.

Offline A-Bomb

• Garlic Butter Coming. Isn’t as good as Divock Origi. Can we sell him?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2650 on: Yesterday at 08:30:25 am »
He's a serviceable 6, but it'd be good for him to be able to settle into an 8 role week in week out.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #2651 on: Yesterday at 08:30:54 am »
I'm pretty sure Mac will be in the front 3 behind the striker rather than in the 2 in front of the defence. He's been doing a job but a DM or playing in the defensive third isn't playing to his strengths.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #2652 on: Yesterday at 08:34:10 am »
Easy to forget in the face of last night, but he’s been our player of the season for me.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2653 on: Yesterday at 08:35:51 am »
Easy to forget in the face of last night, but he’s been our player of the season for me.

VVD.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2654 on: Yesterday at 08:37:20 am »
He still gets bypassed too easily IMO.
Maybe but based on that stat he's better at stopping dribblers than Fabinho, Henderson and Wijnaldum were for us.

I think as a team we've kind of just been very direct/transition heavy this season and it leaves us open a lot more to counters than it has in the past+we ask players to take bigger risks to try and create these moments for us. We've kind of just reset to what made us good and I imagine if he'd stayed we'd have worked on other aspects under Klopp in to next year

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2655 on: Yesterday at 08:38:45 am »
Maybe but based on that stat he's better at stopping dribblers than Fabinho, Henderson and Wijnaldum were for us.

I think as a team we've kind of just been very direct/transition heavy this season and it leaves us open a lot more to counters than it has in the past+we ask players to take bigger risks to try and create these moments for us. We've kind of just reset to what made us good and I imagine if he'd stayed we'd have worked on other aspects under Klopp in to next year

The gaps are too large between our players. No DM is stopping that. We need better structure out of possession.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2656 on: Yesterday at 08:41:06 am »

That's why stats have to be contextualised.  He's an easy target that opposing players are happy to square up 1v1 and his tackling is a bit weak.

When you look at equaliser, no way Endo gets like that. Endo would either barge him with his shoulder or commit a foul. Those little things nip transitions in the bud but we don't win enough challenges to play like this.

Duran probably doesn't even try that against Rice or Rodri because he knows he'll end up on the grass. It's hard to quantity that using stats.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 08:43:33 am by MonsLibpool »

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #2657 on: Yesterday at 09:07:33 am »
While he’s more suited to a more advanced midfield role, he’s obviously versatile and intelligent enough to adapt his game to play at 6. His mistake last night was obviously fatigue rather than a tactical issue.

Offline markiv

• Main Stander
« Reply #2658 on: Yesterday at 12:26:38 pm »
Last night was clearly fatigue. It's been a long season and he's been our main midfielder and arguably our player of the season. He also hasn't played these many games in a season previously and hence the drop off in his impact over the last month or so.

For me, he has been exceptional this season. I knew he was a very good player but he exceeded my expectations. He's just so good at every aspect and is only going to get better next season. He has the potential to become a world class player. He has already been one of the top 3 midfielders in the league this season and is going to be pivotal under Slot.

Having a very good 6 next to him will really elevate his game and our overall performance. We already say that when both him and Endo were performing so well earlier in the year.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #2659 on: Yesterday at 12:34:59 pm »
He has already been one of the top 3 midfielders in the league this season

MacAllister has been our best midfielder by a mile. Probably in our best 2 or 3 players overall.

But he’s not in the Top 3 midfielders in the league this season. Rice, Rodri, Odergaard have all been better in my opinion whilst occupying similar areas of the pitch.

It’s not a knock on MacAllister but the big area of difference in quality between ourselves and City/Arsenal is in midfield. We’ve got some young players who may improve but we need to close that gap. Asking our midfielders to cover less space may help also
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.